Princess Book Club on Grand Princess

Steve Q

We are sailing on the August 8th San Francisco departure. Princess has notified us that there will be a literary discussion group during the sailing. The book to be discussed is "And the Mountains Echoed". Has anyone ever participated in one of their organized book discussion groups? How was it and did many participate?

Thanks

I have not but would be interested in the responses you would get reagarding it. It sounds like something my husband and I would like to do. Hope you get some responses to this.

Cori

I went to one awhile ago and was very disappointed. The CD staff member showed up late, asked if anyone wanted water, brought over the water, and left. It was left up to the passengers who showed up to run the book club meeting.

That being said, I'm still hopeful for my upcoming Hawaii cruise. I've just ordered the book from Amazon.

I have heard from others that some book club meetings are pretty good with the staff having read the book and leading the discussion.

Jackie

We are sailing on the August 8th San Francisco departure. Princess has notified us that there will be a literary discussion group during the sailing. The book to be discussed is "And the Mountains Echoed". Has anyone ever participated in one of their organized book discussion groups? How was it and did many participate?

Thanks

I always plan to go to the book club discussions but if it's a sunny day the sun usually wins out.

This book is FABULOUS , so it's worthwhile to read it even if you don't make it to the discussion. I read a LOT and it's the best book I've read in years!

There are never enough books available for everyone to participate, so if you don't have that particular book or have not already read it, it will just be a waste of time showing up. This is not a short book; more than 400 pages. I would suggest that anyone who wants to be part of the book club on board, read the book prior. Even then, the discussion will run hot and cold. Mostly cold.

Thanks

We're on the Sapphire Aug. 10th. Would be interested in participating assuming a Book Club on this voyage. How did Princess notify you as to the book title. Last year on Sapphire to Hawaii the book to be discussed was made available in the library to lend- there were plenty of copies- of course this was a 14 day voyage- the Librarian led the discussion.

Ev

We're on the Sapphire Aug. 10th. Would be interested in participating assuming a Book Club on this voyage. How did Princess notify you as to the book title. Last year on Sapphire to Hawaii the book to be discussed was made available in the library to lend- there were plenty of copies- of course this was a 14 day voyage- the Librarian led the discussion.

Ev

http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/activities/book_club/bookclub.html

July and August 2013

And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini

An unforgettable novel about finding a lost piece of yourself in someone else. Khaled Hosseini, the #1 New York Times–bestselling author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns, has written a new novel about how we love, how we take care of one another, and how the choices we make resonate through generations. In this tale revolving around not just parents and children but brothers and sisters, cousins and caretakers, Hosseini explores the many ways in which families nurture, wound, betray, honor, and sacrifice for one another; and how often we are surprised by the actions of those closest to us, at the times that matter most. Following its characters and the ramifications of their lives and choices and loves around the globe—from Kabul to Paris to San Francisco to the Greek island of Tinos—the story expands gradually outward, becoming more emotionally complex and powerful with each turning page.

Featured on Coral Princess; Dawn Princess; Diamond Princess; Golden Princess; Grand Princess; Island Princess; Sapphire Princess; Sea Princess; Star Princess

Ev

What librarian? Princess staff members rotate their jobs and that's who is in the library. 98% of the time they have not read the book.

Participated in a book club on the Grand. They had a limited number of paperbacks available. Do not remember the title, but felt the choice had no merit. There are so many better books. On the discussion day, I was surprised to find that the The ship's rep had not even read the book. So much for a ship's book club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Participated in a book club on the Grand. They had a limited number of paperbacks available. Do not remember the title, but felt the choice had no merit. There are so many better books. On the discussion day, I was surprised to find that the The ship's rep had not even read the book. So much for a ship's book club!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Please make your print size smaller.

Please make your print size smaller.

Thanks everyone. The idea of a Book Group is really appealing to my wife. We usually sail on HAL, so I am not sure if this is a new activity on Princess. It seems like a great concept as so many people seem to be active readers during sea days. We were notified of the book title several months in advance of our August sail date. Thus, there is plenty of time for those interested to have read the book. I will let you know how the meeting was after we return.

Thanks everyone. The idea of a Book Group is really appealing to my wife. We usually sail on HAL, so I am not sure if this is a new activity on Princess. It seems like a great concept as so many people seem to be active readers during sea days. We were notified of the book title several months in advance of our August sail date. Thus, there is plenty of time for those interested to have read the book. I will let you know how the meeting was after we return.

Princess started this about two years ago.

I belong to a book club at home and was excited to see it starting on the ships, BUT there are never enough copies of the book if you haven't already read it, various reading speeds, passengers usually lead the discussion. No one has discussion questions, so it is really who like it, who duct and why. Crew usually facilitates setting up the room, but not the discussion.

I have found it only usually works on long cruises with lots of sea days, like World or TAs....all the shorter or port intensive cruises I have attended get a poor showing.

The book to be discussed should be listed in your precruise emails...so I would suggest get it and read at home or take it with you.

Good luck...I love the concept..it just doesn't always translate on the ship:rolleyes: and I am an avid reader!

The best discussion I participated in was the book "The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society" back in 2009. We were doing the British Isles cruise, and went to Guernsey. We met for afternoon tea on the last sea day. There were probably 35+ people in the discussion, so we had to break up. It was a delightful time. I had read the book in advance, so I would have knowledge of the Channel Island before going there. Like everyone else has mentioned, it pays to read beforehand, since there won't be enough copies in the library.

• 1 month later...

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would give everyone an update about the Book Club.

My wife inquired about the Book Club on the 2nd day of our cruise. The librarian said to watch the Princess Patters as it would occur on a sea day. Unfortunately, no meeting ever took place.

A friend of ours just returned from the subsequent 10 day cruise, She also inquired and was told that 12 people had inquired and that it too would be held on a sea day. Again, no meeting ever took place.

Oddly, the librarian told her that she does not read novels! Perhaps the person in the library is just someone assigned to that station, but why assign someone to be there that does not like to read.

It is not a big deal, but perhaps Princess should stop sending e-mails to booked passengers advertising the Book Club.

PS: My wife and her friend loved the book so all was not in vain.

I participated in the book discussion group earlier this year on the 14-day Panama Canal cruise. The book selected was "The Light Between the Oceans." The discussion didn't take place until the last sea day, and it was a passenger led discussion...no crew participated. There were about 12 ladies and 1 gentleman in the group. It actually turned out to be a pretty good discussion, since everyone had read the book and had opinions. I bought the title on my e-reader before the cruise, so I wasn't competing for the ship's copies.

The only odd thing is that they double-booked the room in which the discussion was held, and then we got kicked out of the room early because they needed to set up for Sabbath services.

I need to check the title for my upcoming cruise and see if I wish to participate.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would give everyone an update about the Book Club.

My wife inquired about the Book Club on the 2nd day of our cruise. The librarian said to watch the Princess Patters as it would occur on a sea day. Unfortunately, no meeting ever took place.

A friend of ours just returned from the subsequent 10 day cruise, She also inquired and was told that 12 people had inquired and that it too would be held on a sea day. Again, no meeting ever took place.

Oddly, the librarian told her that she does not read novels! Perhaps the person in the library is just someone assigned to that station, but why assign someone to be there that does not like to read.

It is not a big deal, but perhaps Princess should stop sending e-mails to booked passengers advertising the Book Club.

PS: My wife and her friend loved the book so all was not in vain.

Well, that's distressing. I purchased the book (The Interestings) for my upcoming cruise. It's only available in hardcover. I hated it. I figured I'd at least be able to discuss what I found lacking in the book with others, but if they don't even bother holding the discussion, what was the point? The people who staff the library are not librarians, they are just cruise director staff. They are just policing to make sure people don't take books without signing them out.

Jackie (retired librarian)

Well, that's distressing. I purchased the book (The Interestings) for my upcoming cruise. It's only available in hardcover. I hated it. I figured I'd at least be able to discuss what I found lacking in the book with others, but if they don't even bother holding the discussion, what was the point? The people who staff the library are not librarians, they are just cruise director staff. They are just policing to make sure people don't take books without signing them out.

Jackie (retired librarian)

I would check with the Cruise Director once onboard and discuss having the book club scheduled.

I would check with the Cruise Director once onboard and discuss having the book club scheduled.

I will do that, thanks for the suggestion. I found a book discussion guide online and will be bringing it so have questions prepared to help guide the meeting. As the book, for some unknown reason, is on the best seller list, many have probably read it.

Jackie

Archived