Upsells and TAs

Mekka

I have generally handled my own reservations through HAL and am now using a TA. I have had several up sells in the past which came directly to me via E-mail.

I realize that upsells and the related communications are handled by the TA. I'm a little unclear on whether or not I am precluded from contacting HAL directly during the last week or two prior to a cruise to inquire about potential up sells. Will they deal directly with a passenger regarding up sells or do they insist on handling everything through the TA?

Thank you in advance for any info you have about this topic.

When you have a TA, everything must go through her/him. Sorry.

p.s. There was a case a couple of years ago involving KweenKaren and an unscrupulous TA in south FL where HAL directly intervened, but that was highly unusual.

Last April on our Ryndam sailing I told our TA that we were interested in an upsell. She said she would make sure HAL knew and about a week before the cruise we got our upsell....which we happily took. Went from an Ocean View to a Balcony for about $600 total.

I use a TA when booking cruises. As the other posters have stated once booked through the TA all communication from HAL goes to him/her. I have missed out on a couple upsells because my TA tried to contact me or she did not see the email quickly. Bottom line HAL is not going to wait for me to respond and whoevers TA or if you book through HAL sees the communication first gets the opportunity for upsell. That said I have set up authorization for a specific $$$$ amount that is discussed when booking my cruise. Don't try to contact me because it's probably going to be gone by the time you reach me. I do not count on the upgrade/upsell fairy anymore. I took some advise from these boards and I book the cabin/catagory I want if an upsell offer comes along fine and if not that's OK too.

bob

We use an online TA, and all correspondence is done through that agency. Sometimes we get wind of up sells from advertising and call the TA. And on a number of occasions, the TA has sent out the email. Both have worked well.

The only time we work directly with HAL is when booking a cruise with the on board future cruise consultant. The booking is then referred to our online agent.

We have learned that even in hope of an upgrade or up sell, we never book a stateroom lower than what we are willing to accept. We book our minimum requirement, and if an upgrade or up sell opportunity arises, that is nice, but not necessary to the enjoyment of the cruise.:)

Bon Voyage!!

Having only gotten one upsell offer, and that was through my TA, I've not had a lot of experience. I think there are a host of parameters and conditions that influence whether or not you get an offer like peak or off season, itinerary, category booked, and so on. I'm not sure or convinced your TA is one of the major or prime considerations.

In my 3 modern HAL cruises I've gotten 2 upsells though my TA. The final step is determined by the situation and TA policy, but one came by phone and was quite efficient. The other was by email since it was for the Prinsendam and I was on the Rotterdam headed for the Prinsendam when the offer came. Email was a bit more awkward but it worked out and I was happy with the new cabin. Now that I think about it though, not sure what I did about edocs and luggage tags.

Roy

Just wondering if the initial decision to pick a particular cabin or go for a guarantee affects your ability to receive the option to upgrade or accept an upsell? Specifically, can you still be in control of keeping your selected cabin (midship) or choose to accept a specific cabin change? We would never want a blind cabin reassignment for longer cruises across rough seas.

Just wondering if the initial decision to pick a particular cabin or go for a guarantee affects your ability to receive the option to upgrade or accept an upsell? Specifically, can you still be in control of keeping your selected cabin (midship) or choose to accept a specific cabin change? We would never want a blind cabin reassignment for longer cruises across rough seas.

We book GTYs frequently. Most of our upsell opportunities have come after our room has been assigned.

We use one of two of our favorite TAs when we book cruises (it depends on who has the best deal at the time). I always tell the TA that we would like to be contacted when an upsell becomes available. Both TAs have said that HAL sends a general upsell email to them (not specific to a particular passenger), and from there it's up to the TA to contact the customer about it. Neither of my TAs will email us about an upsell. They get on the phone and call us. I already know how much I'd like to spend on an upsell, so if the offer is within those initial $$, I have them put my call on hold while they call HAL regarding specific cabin availability. The deck plans for that ship are already open on my computer, so when the TA comes back to me, I'm ready to make my decision. While I'm more than willing to initially book a GTY, I've never taken a "blind" upsell.

Also remember that some upsells are not sweet deals. We've turned down some that were much too pricey.

If you are concerned about specific cabin location, do not book a GTY. In addition to that, upsell opportunities are not available on every cruise so I'd not rely on that to get a better room.

Thank you, VioletHorse, for such a clearly thought out answer. Yes, that is how I would want to progress - be given a specific cabin that I could accept on an upsell and check immediately whether I like it. I just didn't know whether the upsell offers you a higher category at a certain added amount but not the guarantee of which cabin you are accepting. I would be willing to trade a zebra I just won for whatever is behind door #1, 2, or 3 on Let's Make a Deal, but I love cruising too much to risk disappointment!

Archived