need a fridge for my medicine

Q: What if I have a disability or special need?

A: We welcome guests with disabilities and special needs and work hard to assist them throughout their vacation. To receive appropriate assistance, be sure to notify our Access Department in writing (fax: 954-628-9622;

email: special_needs@rccl.com )

Good luck to you. Our traveling companions asked for a fridge and a "sharps" container on our Alaska cruise. They never got the items.

A: We welcome guests with disabilities and special needs and work hard to assist them throughout their vacation. To receive appropriate assistance, be sure to notify our Access Department in writing (fax: 954-628-9622;

Good luck to you. Our traveling companions asked for a fridge and a "sharps" container on our Alaska cruise. They never got the items.

It has been our experience that some ships do not have medical refrigerators on board.

I need a fridge for my medicine. I got one on my last cruise, but lost the e-mail address.

If any would happen to know it I would appreciate it

Call 800-398-9819 they will take care of it. super fast!

The Liberty and the Allure both have small refrigerators in the room. If the size is okay, you can ask them to remove everything to accommodate your meds. They are not very cold, but cold enough to keep something from spoiling.

The items might have been delivered to another room. Did they ask about it once on board? A small refrigerator was delivered to my room on Radiance and I didn't ask for it. I requested they remove it. Before they came to get it we met our neighbors who had requested it and didn't get it. The wrong delivery was easily fixed in this case.

Gina

The Liberty and the Allure both have small refrigerators in the room. If the size is okay, you can ask them to remove everything to accommodate your meds. They are not very cold, but cold enough to keep something from spoiling.

Not really. If needed for medicine, they do not get cold enough.

The items might have been delivered to another room. Did they ask about it once on board? A small refrigerator was delivered to my room on Radiance and I didn't ask for it. I requested they remove it. Before they came to get it we met our neighbors who had requested it and didn't get it. The wrong delivery was easily fixed in this case.

Gina

No --the companions did not ask about it. They should have. I would have if they had told me. They did not mention it to me until 4 days into the cruise.

They always travel with a small soft sided cooler bag. They filled it with ice to keep the medicine cold.

My husband and I will be on FOS in October. I called and spoke to a person in customer service and she assured me that Royal Caribbean did receive my email request for a refrigerator and sharps box and those items will be in my room when we board. Hopefully, she knew what she was talking about. We'll see.. this is my first time on Royal Caribbean. Disney always had them in the room ahead of time.

My husband and I will be on FOS in October. I called and spoke to a person in customer service and she assured me that Royal Caribbean did receive my email request for a refrigerator and sharps box and those items will be in my room when we board. Hopefully, she knew what she was talking about. We'll see.. this is my first time on Royal Caribbean. Disney always had them in the room ahead of time.

We were on Freedom last December and also requested a refrigerator ahead of time. We did not get one and were told by the Hotel Director that they do not have refrigerators on board and, he added, that he was very surprised to hear that other ships did!!! :( Getting a sharps container will be no problem.

Just an FYI: Before jumping through hoops to get a fridge, haul a cooler on a flight, etc... check with the prescribing physician and possible the pharmacist. A lot of medications that are labeled "keep refrigerated" can safely and effective be kept at room temperature for a good amount of time. Case in point, almost all insulin products are fine at room temperature for up to a month.

Not saying there isn't a need for refrigeration in SOME situations, but more often than people realize, it's simply not necessary.

I'm not sure if they are all that bad, but the fridge they delivered to us on the Rhapsody was not cold at all. We kept the air in the room colder than the fridge. After several calls to maintenance, my sister gave up on it and we had them remove it from the room.

She did get the "sharps" container.

I'm not sure if they are all that bad, but the fridge they delivered to us on the Rhapsody was not cold at all. We kept the air in the room colder than the fridge. After several calls to maintenance, my sister gave up on it and we had them remove it from the room..

Another suggestion: Refrigerators operate much more efficiently if they are full! If maintenance brings you a room temperature empty fridge, and all you're putting in there is a small amount of medication, it's going to take a LONG time to cool down. Instead, Put a bunch of ice or at least water bottles in there. Do that and it will stay plenty cool.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a medication that needs to be refrigerated. It must be kept between 36 and 46 degrees until I am ready to use it.

I called Royal Caribbean and they said to call their Special Needs Department at (866) 592-7225. The lady said that room refrigerators may not be cold enough for medications, but if you call the number they will make sure one is in the room that is cold enough. She also said that if you book through a Travel Agent, they can put in the request as well.

For anyone who has had a medical refrigerator could you tell me about how big it is?

It's the size of a small bar fridge. They put it in the space where the vanity chair usually goes and it pretty much fills the space.

For us, the vanity chair was placed beside the sofa, in front of the mirror - this was the case for both of our cruises.

Be warned, it does have the potential to be a "catch all" for the duration of your cruise :D

Archived