Cruising for 36 days.

lloyd2050

We've been on 2 longer cruises - 34 days in Australia on RCL and 19 days Panama Canal on Holland America. Our next is 26 days on Princess in the British Isles followed by a transatlantic back to NY.

Usually lots of activities on sea days. We had no problem keeping busy or just kicking back watching the sea and relaxing. After 3 or 4 port days in a row we were ready for a rest.

We packed like we would have for 10 days or so and sent our clothes out to the laundry every 3 or 4 days. HAL has an unlimited laundry package for a set price per day which turned out to be the best thing ever.

I bring both my netbook (to download photos every day - my usual port day is 200 or more pics) and my tablet so we could play games once in a while. Most ships have libraries so if you're a reader you can check out books. There may be a table set up somewhere for community jigsaw puzzles. Check the daily program to see if there are any lectures on ports, etc.

It's a good idea to bring small amounts of the usual OTC meds you might need - cold medicine, aspirin, some band-aids, etc. If you have to get anything at the ship's store it'll be expensive and not a huge choice of brands. One thing I didn't think of on our first cruise was something for a sore throat - so, of course, I got a cold and a sore throat and a small package of drops was around $5 on the ship.

You might want to go to the Princess Boards for more specific info on your ship and the port boards for info on the ports you'll be going to. I like to look at the ports using Google Earth to see what's around the dock area.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Is everything at home taken care of? Bill paid? You don't want to come home and find the water or electricity have been cut off.

Mail stopped? In US, Post Office will only hold mail for 30 days. Not sure about Canada.

Paper?

Yard?

I always make certain that I have packed 1 week's extra set of medications. I also pack quite a few over the counter medications. Ship's infirmaries do not have medications for meet everyone's needs -- either prescription or over the counter.

A long time ago I set up a special checking account where our utility bills are automatically taken out. Before we leave on vacation I just make certain that the account has enough funds in it to cover bills for 2 or 3 months.

We are fortunate that mail goes directly into the garage. Newspapers are picked up by our neighbors. And although we have an alarm system, they still check the house every couple of days. These neighbors also cut the grass while we are gone.

We also pack for 10 days and send laundry out as needed.

What can you expect -- a wonderful cruise visiting so many places.

Krazy Kruisers reminded me of an important thing to do in advance. Make sure you will have sufficient supply of all prescriptions when you leave. You may need to talk to insurance company to get approval for early delivery.

My wife has one that they only give her one month at a time. It seems it takes about 2 weeks on hold and talking to different people to get a second month send before our trip. We will be leaving in mid-September for 53 days. I figure about August 15 I will start fighting with them again. Arrggggghhhh

I travel a great deal and often do an at home trial of a new make up, toothpaste etc to see how much of the products I would use over a week or longer.

This helps to avoid taking along too much or too little of something.

As I've aged I've found that I use much more of dry skin products and much less make up.

On a recent trip I had along a new toiletry bag that I had (foolishly) not tried out at home. Turned out that I spent a lot of time hunting for things that were in non-see through pockets.

I take along about 20% extra on Rx meds (see the negotiation comments above) and enough over the counter meds to get along fairly well.

I keep a list of things that I have taken on trips and not used or used very little.

Recently I almost left my Kindle behind in a dark hotel room as I just didn't see where it was. It's new case is bright yellow. Lesson learned.

If you have them and need to use a commercial facility during your absence book them in early. Not uncommon for me to have to book 10 months in advance for a spot during peak holiday periods as it is very popular. You don't need the 13th hour hastle of trying to find a place or a sitter.

A reliable house sitter especially if you live in a colder climate and you travel in winter. Many home policies here become void for water damage from frozen pipes if the home is not checked a minimum of every 3 days. Better yet turn off the water at the main entry point.

As mentioned either pre pay or go to direct withdrawl for all utilities. You don't need to come home and find out someone tured off the water for you.

Either have your mail put on hold for you or have someone collect it from your box daily. Nothing says "I'm away, break in here" like a stuffed and overflowing mail box. Make sure you leave at least on light on or better yet put several on timers to make the place look lived in

Archived