Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

I would actually respectfully suggest it should have been longer than that. Final payment is usually with 75 days is it not? and many pay a few days early.

When they changed the smoking policy they gave something like 6 months notice.

I am sure more people on HAL bring on wine than those that smoke:rolleyes:

I agree. I made our final payment last Tuesday for our Med Collectors Cruise. Announce it now for the first of the new year. If I'd known this was going to happen, I would have liked to have an opportunity to shop around for another TA cruise on a different line. It's a matter of principle for me.

This is isn't exactly about the new wine policy, I've already posted my feelings on that. But I am a bit tired of reading about cases of wine brought onboard as over the top, and people bringing their own wine into the MDR. I think some readers are making some false assumptions.

1) HALs previous policy was to allow as much wine as you wanted to bring onboard. 1 bottle or 3 cases, whatever, it was allowed. There was nothing wrong with this and those of you who think it over the top should just shuit up about it. It was an allowed option; some used it, some didn't. we all get to make our choices. We took a Panama canal cruise 2 years ago with a large group of family and friends. We got to Florida a week before the others and offered to buy wine for all to share at night before and after dinner. We brought on 2 cases of wine (for 10 people for 16 days). And we all bought wine with dinner each night.

2) The wine service in the MDR is painfully slow, so most nights, we would buy a glass of wine at 1 of the bars on the way to dinner, so we could at least have 1 glass while we ate. many times, this was the only glass of wine we could pry out of HAL during our 2 hour dinner.

I think people could be a tad less judgmental about how much wine people bring on and where the wine that they bring into the MDR comes from. I don't post about the people who always manage to work into any post that they always book a suite, or are 4 star Mariners, or only eat breakfast in the Pinnacle or any number of other annoying little notes that aren't pertinent to the thread. if you don't have something helpful to contribute, then don't.

ML

Big thumbs up!

Edited by arewethereyet

This is isn't exactly about the new wine policy, I've already posted my feelings on that. But I am a bit tired of reading about cases of wine brought onboard as over the top, and people bringing their own wine into the MDR. I think some readers are making some false assumptions.

1) HALs previous policy was to allow as much wine as you wanted to bring onboard. 1 bottle or 3 cases, whatever, it was allowed. There was nothing wrong with this and those of you who think it over the top should just shuit up about it. It was an allowed option; some used it, some didn't. we all get to make our choices. We took a Panama canal cruise 2 years ago with a large group of family and friends. We got to Florida a week before the others and offered to buy wine for all to share at night before and after dinner. We brought on 2 cases of wine (for 10 people for 16 days). And we all bought wine with dinner each night.

2) The wine service in the MDR is painfully slow, so most nights, we would buy a glass of wine at 1 of the bars on the way to dinner, so we could at least have 1 glass while we ate. many times, this was the only glass of wine we could pry out of HAL during our 2 hour dinner.

I think people could be a tad less judgmental about how much wine people bring on and where the wine that they bring into the MDR comes from. I don't post about the people who always manage to work into any post that they always book a suite, or are 4 star Mariners, or only eat breakfast in the Pinnacle or any number of other annoying little notes that aren't pertinent to the thread. if you don't have something helpful to contribute, then don't.

ML

Well said!!

Thank you for the info on the email. About a month ago I tried to email them but the same thing happened. It could be my search engine so next time I will try another one.

I am sure their system was overloaded with people contacting them.

I just checked in with Facebook. HAL is responding today to folks who have been making complaints concerning current or recent cruises; not one word to those commenting on the new wine policy. :rolleyes:

Run to your television... the news about the wine policy is on the CNN crawler right now

And then run to your windows , open them up and yell....."I'M MAD AS HELL, AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"

Us, too, Sapper.

We'll be happy to take someone's two bottles aboard.

We don't bother for ourselves but if we have friends who want a little more wine, we will offer to carry it.

That makes 3 (or is it 4 or 5) of us.

Roy

Does everybody really believe that all wine toters,just sipped their wine on their balconies like quiet little church mouses or

Some people brought their own wine to the show,crows nest,lido,dining room,etc.

Sure some, but do you have any idea the percentage of your "some"? 1%, 10%, 50%?

The sign was up on our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise (we got off on Friday). I did not see it and brought on one bottle in Monte Carlo and they did not say anything. I had it in my knapsack which went through the scanner. I noticed the sign the next day.

Kirk,,,Can you tell us exactly what the sign said...

Everyone is interpreting the new policy:

Only one bottle per Psgr can be brought aboard & only at embarkation...Nothing can be brought aboard in any port..Any wine liquor or beer brought aboard in ports will be confiscated & given back to you when you disembark..

Are we correct in our interpretation?

Thanks...Betty

I have no problem with HAL changing the liquor policy, what I have a problem with is the way it was done.

I understand that a corporation has a responsibility to earn money for it's shareholders and if this change in policy does this then so be it.

I have a right, as a consumer, to receive what I have purchased. We are sailing in 18 days. I purchased a cruise from HAL in January and paid in full in May. At that time i was fully aware of the product i had purchased. I would think that an ethical company would provide the goods and services agreed upon in the contract.

If I were to be booking a cruise today I would be fully aware of the liquor policy and could make an informed decision as to whether or not this cruise line is for me.

Would this policy impact my decision? Probably not. I just do not like the feeling that this company can change the product willy nilly with no regard to those who had purchased and paid.

If I buy a chocolate glazed donut with sprinkles, I would be unhappy if I received it without the sprinkles. :-)

Well said.

John

didn't RCC/Celebrity start 'no alcohol of any kind' a while ago..

this new policy really doesn't affect us too much..

now HAL ought to stop 'playing games' with how they release the availability of certain Cabin-Categories .. but I guess that doesn't make them any more bucks-- it's just one big computer shell game on their part :mad:

ML

I wish I had your way with words:)

To complain directly to HAL >>

GuestRelations@hollandamerica.com

this would not be correct as Guest Relations only deals with issues that come up for passengers on the cruise like an issue with the stateroom etc. Go to the website for HAL and to the Contact us at the bottom of the page regarding the new wine policy.

still offering Wine packages... sign-in.. go to 'your reservations'.. Purchase--Indulgences.. Beverages.. scroll down to Packages.. Navigator- 7 bottle is now at 248.. it was at 199 last cruise we were on in March.. and half price as 5 stars

Perhaps you should look at it on an ipad because it's not the same...but thx for being so understanding..............

The FB app on iOS and Android does not allow you to see posts and comments by others you have to use the safari or firefox and choose the desktop version of the website.

We really enjoy a glass of wine each evening before dinner on our balcony. In addition to the new wine ruling, HAL has discontinued something else we love. They have are not having bridge directors on most cruises. I am a stockholder and don't understand their reasoning as having bridge available doesn't cost them much money. Guess they only want to have things available they can bill to our accounts.

For what it's worth, we've lived with the similar policy on Celebrity for years, and a few notes about enforcement:

1. We have brought on more wine than one bottle at embarcation. Often, the security personnel are Port employees, not Ship staff, and they didn't seem to care.

2. We don't drink in our staterooms, so always took the wine to the dining room and paid corkage. We asked our stateroom attendant to bring the wine to the dining room each night, so he was well aware of the extra wine. The sommelier was also aware, and had no issue with the number of personal bottles. He even waived the corkage fee a few times.

3. At many ports, we purchased wine. If it was wrapped up and inside a backpack, there were no issues. If it was in a shopping bag, it was taken and given back on the last night- the last time was in Lisbon on a TA, and they took away my bottles of port- no worries, as these were intended to come home with me.

4. The times when we saw more enforcement were LA cruises to Mexico, and Ft. Lauderdale cruises to the Caribbean. These were also 7- night cruises.

The above is not a recommendation to sail Celebrity, nor a guarantee that you will have the same luck, but just a little oil on the water to say that, perhaps as the policy is put in place on HAL, they may or may not be so strict about this if you are just bringing the one or two extra bottles, but are drawing a line in the sand so that they CAN enforce this when the cases of wine roll up to the ship.

Time will tell.

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app