Private tour in Russia

Eight of us booked private tours for 2 days in St. Petersburg and 1 day in Moscow with Guide-Guru. In all of my 40+ cruises, this was the worst guide I have ever had. She wanted to just give her spiel and not answer any questions, gave incorrect information, and was not at all friendly or pleasant. We felt like we were on a group tour instead of a private one. People who took the other tour companies were very pleased, so I would advise you not to take a chance on Guide-Guru.

We were one of the fortunate ones and had an amazing private tour with TJ Travel..So sorry your trip of a life time turned out "not" to be...Better luck hopefully if there is a next time.

Eight of us booked private tours for 2 days in St. Petersburg and 1 day in Moscow with Guide-Guru.

Hi Sally! The following is a cut-and-paste from my own notes regarding our experiences with Guide-Guru. Hopefully it will help others in choosing a tour company. To those reading this review, please bear in mind we actually had two different guides: one for our one-day trip to Moscow and the other for our two days in St. Petersburg. Consequently, I have set up this report as if they were two separate and distinct tours.

MOSCOW: Our Guide-Guru representative met us outside the passport control area at 6AM and brought all three groups to the St. Petersburg train station. It looked as mysteriously intriguing in person as it had in my dreams. I could close my eyes and almost be Bond, James Bond. Back in reality, seating in the high-speed train, called Sapsan, is reserved. The seats are comfortable but do not recline. I guess that’s one way to eliminate fist-fights and other space-invading based altercations. The food onboard the Sapsan makes Amtrak cuisine qualify as gourmet so plan your travel meals accordingly. The ride is approximately four hours and I found the scenery to be lovely: rolling green countryside reminiscent of western Pennsylvania. My wife and I spotted quite a number of farm collectives along the train route, centers of poverty providing limited education and less hope for any upward mobility. Too many of the houses are in dire need of repair. What I find amazing among all of this is the vastness of the Russian rural countryside: a treasure-trove of natural resources sitting idle among the failing agricultural enclaves barely existing along the railroad tracks. With education and the introduction of even limited technology, the current population could farm themselves into prosperity while preserving the natural integrity of the environment. Just my humble opinion.

Our Moscow Guide-Guru tour guide, Olga, elevated this portion of our tour from interesting to fantastic. Her command of the English language is excellent; her knowledge of Russian history and architecture, vast; her people skills, superb. Olga is a single parent, working as both a tour guide and school teacher. She is intrigued by the personal freedoms enjoyed by Americans (and, of course dear travel companions to the North, Canadians), but cherishes her country of birth and would never leave or abandon Russia. We got to visit everything on our preprinted itinerary, including landmarks such as Red Square, the buildings comprising The Kremlin and its wall, Lenin’s Mausoleum, The State Historical Museum, The Pushkin Museum, the unbelievable St. Basil’s Cathedral, the Assumption Cathedral, GUM and and and. Unfortunately, due to mobility issues encountered by a member of our group, we had to modify the extent of our Moscow metro system experience.

Olga selected a terrific restaurant for lunch based upon the group’s taste requests and budget. Afterwards we continued on with the tour and Olga got us back to the train station well on time for our scheduled departure at 7:30PM. She is an excellent guide and a truly sincere human being. The ride back to St. Petersburg was uneventful. The train was full, mostly with Russians traveling for either business or pleasure, as I did notice a couple of families scattered throughout our Sapsan car.

On a side note, one of the reasons my wife and I opted to take this particular tour was to experience the high-speed Sapsan train and see more of Russia from ground level. Several ship and private tours are available where you travel by plane and apparently some cruisers elected that mode of transportation. From statements we heard afterwards, flying presented a different set of problems. It turns out the airport is further away from the ship in St. Petersburg and a lot further away in Moscow than the train station which is in the heart of the city. So you are going to lose a lot of time in the commute to/from each airport each way. Next concerns the time-consuming issue of airport security. Train travel in Russia appears to be as lax in security measures as it is in the US. A few metal detectors and stern-looking police. Not “German” stern. Not Howard stern. Just plain stern. The airports, however, are ripe with modern surveillance techniques as well as the standard stop-and-frisk or non-standard drop-em-and-cough searches. When making your determination about whether to fly between St. Petersburg and Moscow or take the high-speed train, bear in mind neither transportation mode will allow for much of an increase in your actual touring time. I had hoped to engage some Russians in conversation while onboard the train, but unfortunately the opportunity never arose. I did, however, make use of our time together to talk with my wife…

ST. PETERSBURG: Just as Olga enhanced our Moscow shore excursion, our St. Petersburg tour guide, Ada, could not seem to get on the same page with our group. After getting through the passport control area, we met Ada on the dock and entered our assigned mini-bus. The driver’s name, by the way, was Boris. I kid you not. He was a handsome example of what you get when Russians mix steroids and vodka on date night. Boris didn’t speak English, but his Russian sounded spot-on!

As our van exited the port area, we couldn’t help but see large, unimaginative cement buildings which, to me, looked a lot like the tenement buildings sprouting up from the concrete jungles of northern Manhattan and the Bronx. I asked Ada if all of these buildings were projects. Ada didn’t understand the term, so we explained the project housing concept to her. She seemed to take offense and stated there were no projects in Russia. Then she said we’ll keep to the program and discuss daily Russian life on day two of our St. Petersburg tour. I smiled and said fine (and, leaning over to my wife, I whispered that they sure as hell looked like projects. She agreed.)

The initial stop on our St. Petersburg itinerary was The Church of Our Savior on the Spilled Blood. Its mosaics are absolutely incredible in their detail both inside and outside the church. Several of those in our group edged away from Ada to view other items of interest rather than listen to her commentary. Instead of simply continuing her discourse for the benefit of those still listening to her (my wife and I), and then adjusting the extent of future explanations, Ada seemed to take personal offense and discontinued pretty much all of her insights. She appears to be an extremely intelligent woman, but I don’t feel she possesses the right disposition to lead tours. In other TripAdvisor reviews, Ada is praised as being quite capable of providing a quality tour offering interesting Russian insights, but you must desire a fact-and-figures-of-history monologue with subsequent questions-and-answers. Detailed Russian history isn’t what the majority of our group was interested in hearing. They would have been satisfied getting basic overviews with a little humor mixed in. On the second day of our two-day St. Petersburg tour, which took place the day after our journey to Moscow, Ada appeared to be a little more receptive to our group dynamic and understanding of the personalities involved. Still in all, a mild tension was obvious.

The relationship with our tour guide notwithstanding, we were fortunate enough to see a substantial number of Russian landmarks. Of special note, the Hermitage is beyond magnificent. A person would need an additional lifetime to explore the wealth of art and culture stored within its walls. Catherine Palace with its Great Hall and Amber Room is awe-inspiring and the Park grounds, beautiful. One of the benefits of touring with Guide-Guru concerns the excessive lines waiting to enter Catherine’s Palace at prescribed two-hour intervals. Guide-Guru sends a representative to the Palace hours in advance of the attraction’s opening. It is simply their job to wait on line for the benefit of their clients, who will arrive substantially later in the day yet join the representative at the front of the line. It was very hot the day we were there and shade isn’t available for those in line (unless you happen to have an umbrella). I stood with Ada and the Guide-Guru representative who had stood in line on our behalf. He was a friendly young man who spoke pieces of English and took pride in his ability to help American tourists gain entrance to Catherine Palace. The young man started talking to me about cars. His topic of choice, not mine. Ada aided in the translation. The young fellow’s dream of success would be fulfilled as soon as he was able to buy a brand-new Cadillac. It wasn’t a life goal I would have imagined. You should have seen the look on his face when I told him that I had once purchased my son’s mother a brand new Cadillac. He actually insisted on shaking my hand, saying through Ada that I was the first person he had ever met who had purchased a brand new Cadillac. I smiled and thanked him, but explained I was, just like his dad, more proud of my son than my ability to buy a car. I think Ada actually took a liking to me at this point. Anyway. After touring Catherine Palace we strolled through Catherine Park to the Peterhof Pier where we had reserved seats on a hydrofoil back to St. Petersburg. The ride was under an hour after which we were met by our Guide-Guru van and returned to the ship.

One tour aspect our group had all agreed upon during our CruiseCritic discussions was to experience a truly local Russian lunch while visiting St. Petersburg. Judging from the result, it seems there was a bit of miscommunication. Instead of eating in a local Russian restaurant tucked away on a St. Petersburg side street, we ended up in a who-the-hell-knows-where-we-were factory-and-warehouse-district somewhere off the beaten path.

The restaurant was more on the order of a white-and-blue collar cafeteria. Not exactly what I had in mind, but still in all I loved it! Most of the clientele were younger generation Russians, “younger” meaning twenties and thirties, who worked as administrative personnel in an otherwise no-collar factory environment. Most of the women were dressed in work-acceptable fashion, leaving more to the imagination than the male retina. The men tended to sport subdued office attire designed more for blending in than making a fashion statement. Also of interest, they paid little attention, if any, to our group. I did catch smiles from a couple of the girls while waiting on the cafeteria line, but no conversation was initiated on either side. The food was exceptionally good and quite reasonably priced. I partook of a cold Borsht soup and non-creatively-plated-but very-good local fish dish. As you might expect, they had bottled Coke available. I had intended to treat Ada to lunch, but after assisting us with our lunch orders she disappeared for a while. She was probably busy spitting out her annoyance from Our Church of Spilled Blood fiasco. The other members of our group didn’t quite embrace Ada’s choice of lunch spots. As stated above, I enjoyed it although it would never have been my first choice. If only I could figure out where in St. Petersburg we were!...

Most non-Americans wouldn't understand the term "Project" in the context you use. It is not a term that is used in europe.

Few if any railways in europe have a high level of visible security on them. It would be impractical to provide this and run a service.

Few if any railways in europe have a high level of visible security on them. It would be impractical to provide this and run a service.

I wouldn't necessarily say that. A few years ago on a train from Venice to Verona, we saw quite a few armed policia! :eek:

I am also sorry that your tour and guide did not meet the general expectations one might have.

But, not to be an 'I told you so', if you read these boards you will know that most of us always say to stay with the 4-5 well knows tour operators and avoid all these new start ups who no one has ever used.

Really, to be honest, I have no idea why one would chose a tour group that isn't highly recommended, for a tour that is basically a once in a lifetime event. I'm not trying to criticize anyone, but there are 4-5 excellent tour agencies who all do an outstanding job, so why take a chance on these others who supposedly have good ratings on Trip Advisor, or some other site..

I just do not understand that..

Cheers

Len

I have no idea why one would chose a tour group that isn't highly recommended, for a tour that is basically a once in a lifetime event. I'm not trying to criticize anyone, but there are 4-5 excellent tour agencies who all do an outstanding job

I have found any private tour is only as good as the guide you hire. I have also learned that every guide is human, and therefore has the capacity to experience "one of those days." The independent companies recommended on all sights are not solely owner-operated. Thus, unless you have a specific name of a specific guide, the quality of tour is subject to change. I have used owner-operator companies and non-owner-operator ones. This one is non. It has high ratings on TripAdvisor as does the St. Petersburg guide I took issue with. I also noted the excellent quality of our Moscow guide so as not to negatively smear the entire company. I find your faith in one web site to be quite short-sighted. The purpose of these sites is to provide a wealth of information so that other visitors can learn from both our positive results as well as the less-than positive errors in judgment.

Your entire post happened to be an "I told you so." What you think of my choice is immaterial. A private message would have sufficed. What you think of TripAdvisor is also immaterial. It's merely another source of information. My post was intended to provide everyone insight into a well-reviewed company operating since 2007 where some issues developed.

As far as I can tell, or even care to tell, Guide-Guru falls within the "4 - 5 excellent tour agencies" you referenced...

I have found any private tour is only as good as the guide you hire. I have also learned that every guide is human, and therefore has the capacity to experience "one of those days." The independent companies recommended on all sights are not solely owner-operated. Thus, unless you have a specific name of a specific guide, the quality of tour is subject to change. I have used owner-operator companies and non-owner-operator ones. This one is non. It has high ratings on TripAdvisor as does the St. Petersburg guide I took issue with. I also noted the excellent quality of our Moscow guide so as not to negatively smear the entire company. I find your faith in one web site to be quite short-sighted. The purpose of these sites is to provide a wealth of information so that other visitors can learn from both our positive results as well as the less-than positive errors in judgment.

Your entire post happened to be an "I told you so." What you think of my choice is immaterial. A private message would have sufficed. What you think of TripAdvisor is also immaterial. It's merely another source of information. My post was intended to provide everyone insight into a well-reviewed company operating since 2007 where some issues developed.

As far as I can tell, or even care to tell, Guide-Guru falls within the "4 - 5 excellent tour agencies" you referenced...

We know that the specific guide is important. We also KNOW that in the past many years here, there have been fewer than 2 complaints total about the 4-5 major tour agencies in SPB, out of hundreds and hundreds of tours, no matter what guide has been assigned to all of our visits.

We know each other here from our consistent postings. On TripAdvisor most of the posters are what I call "hit and runners". This is a community. TA is not.

I am on these boards faithfully, for maybe the past 4 -5 years. In that time, I have read maybe 5 posts about this tour company you used. Say what you want, but if you want good advice, you come here, not TA.

I fully agree that any tour is only as good as it's guide. That said, these companies make their living on recommendations on sites like these. Sure, anyone can have a bad day, but when you read glowing reviews from any of the major players in St Petersburg, every day, for years and years, you would have to assume that if they would get a 'bad' guide, they wouldn't last very long if people came back and wrote reviews like yours. Again, it is a trip of a lifetime and who wants to take the chance of getting that guide who is having a bad day.

We all are not shills for these tour companies. We get nothing back by recommending them, but when thousands of cruisers come back and most recommend just 4-5 tour companies, I believe that's who one should use.

You don't want to hear 'I told you so' so I won't say it, but if you believe Guide-Guru is one of the top players in St Petersburg, not on these forums they aren't.

Again, I wasn't looking for a confrontation. I am truly sorry your tour wasn't up to what you were expecting.

Cheers

Len

I am on these boards faithfully, for maybe the past 4 -5 years. In that time, I have read maybe 5 posts about this tour company you used. Say what you want, but if you want good advice, you come here, not TA.

I fully agree that any tour is only as good as it's guide. That said, these companies make their living on recommendations on sites like these. Sure, anyone can have a bad day, but when you read glowing reviews from any of the major players in St Petersburg, every day, for years and years, you would have to assume that if they would get a 'bad' guide, they wouldn't last very long if people came back and wrote reviews like yours. Again, it is a trip of a lifetime and who wants to take the chance of getting that guide who is having a bad day.

We all are not shills for these tour companies. We get nothing back by recommending them, but when thousands of cruisers come back and most recommend just 4-5 tour companies, I believe that's who one should use.

You don't want to hear 'I told you so' so I won't say it, but if you believe Guide-Guru is one of the top players in St Petersburg, not on these forums they aren't.

Again, I wasn't looking for a confrontation. I am truly sorry your tour wasn't up to what you were expecting.

Cheers

Len

Like !!

Cheers to you Len :)

Just back from Baltic cruise and used TJ travel for 4 ports including 2 day St. Pete. They were great, meals in Russia were good, nice to eat local foods. Olga was very helpful and quick to respond to emails.

Guides in all 4 ports were very informative and private transportation was comfortable

Archived