A Plea To Celebrity: Don't Dump Century

curtdesilets

I just found this thread and I was also thinking a long time what could happen to CENTURY after April 2015...

IMHO there are several possibilities:

She operates on Asia itineraries until the 29th of April 2015. Her final one ends in Yokohama, Japan, in a northern city of Asia. So I think she won't sail Alaska in 2015, because to deploy her from Japan to Alaska would take a lot of time.

Usually the Alaska season begins in May, so to transfer her within 2 weeks from Japan to Alaska could be difficult.

Or do you think that it is possible to transfer her from Asia to Alaska in just two or three weeks??

Maybe she stays in Asia year-round.

Or she will be sold after her Asia season... :(

Another indication that she probably does not sail Alaska in 2015 could be that INFINITY has disappeared from several Northern European cruise lists in 2015... maybe she replaces CENTURY in Alaska... so we would have MILLENNIUM, INFINITY and SOLSTICE in Alaska in 2015, if CENTURY does not come.

We will see...

Celebrity has changed their mind about the refit several times now. It does seem like there is a lot of uncertainty as to her position within the fleet after that April 2015 Japan cruise. Hummm? :confused:

Celebrity has changed their mind about the refit several times now. It does seem like there is a lot of uncertainty as to her position within the fleet after that April 2015 Japan cruise. Hummm? :confused:

We will see what happens.

I cpuld imagine that Celebritx also keeps her in the fleet to have at least one mid-size-ship.

Maybe in 2015 four ships will do Alaska: SOLSTICE, INFINITY, MILLENNIUM, CENTURY - just my speculation...:)

Let us hope that she stays in the fleet for many more years.:D

We will be on this ship in the spring AND it is our first Celebrity cruise. I don't like the large mega ships. Does anyone know of a trip report with photos of the Century?

I just did one of HAL's Rotterdam, but can't find any for the Century.

We will be on this ship in the spring AND it is our first Celebrity cruise. I don't like the large mega ships. Does anyone know of a trip report with photos of the Century?

I just did one of HAL's Rotterdam, but can't find any for the Century.

We have a Century review on our website http://www.thepreismans.com. Look at the Hawaii review.

How often have you cruised on her?

I haven't yet, but will be next year and I don't want my cruise cancelled. I am also looking at doing another cruise on her in 2015 but will wait until it is closer before booking. I wouldn't want to be disappointed twice.:D

• 1 month later...

Good things about this saga.......1/ She's staying ''in the family'' 2/ she's offering revenue ''send off '' final voyages with itineraries that have already attracted a lot of attention ...3/ she will contribute to the

expansion of another family member as Zenith & Horizon are not being

''sent off you know where'' but rather joined by Century ,which of course

adds to the Pullmantur/CDF berths availability...

Cheers

Celebrity may keep denying the pending removal of the Century from their fleet, but a review of the 2015 schedule would indicate otherwise:

22 March 2015 - Singapore to Dubai

05 April 2015 - Dubai to Rome

Arrives Rome in April, 2015. Just a coincidence?

Celebrity may keep denying the pending removal of the Century from their fleet, but a review of the 2015 schedule would indicate otherwise:

22 March 2015 - Singapore to Dubai

05 April 2015 - Dubai to Rome

Arrives Rome in April, 2015. Just a coincidence?

Depends what happens with the new 2015 schedules:

1)Dry Dock in Livorno???

2) Venice schedules, as has been reportedly told by a Future Cruise Consultant on Century!

"At this time, it has been confirmed by Celebrity Century will continue to sail with Celebrity and currently has no plans of leaving the fleet."

Until of course their plans change and they transfer the ship, or more probable they finally officially confirm what everybody has been speculating about for months.

I mean, come on, Pullmantur/CDF, which has been saying Century is going to join their fleet, is owned by RCL - yet Celebrity and RCL persist in saying nothing has been decided? Yeah, right. Why would Pullmantur/CDF be issuing such statements contrary to RCL? And why wouldn't RCL be stating unequivocally that Century will not be transferring to Pullmantur/CDF instead of issuing PRE speak like 'currently has no plans of leaving the fleet'.

I happen to be quite fond of Century and would hate to see it go, but my suspicion is the decision has already been made and RCL/Celebrity is simply limbo dancing to avoid confirming it as long as they can.

Unfortunately there seems to be a propensity of cruise lines (not just RCL/Celebrity) to try and keep information on ship transfers, dry dockings, or itinerary changes under wraps as long as possible. Why one might wonder since these events can so significantly impact their customers plans. Call me cynic, but I believe it is because doing so benefits them much more than it disadvantages them. My thinking is that the method to their madness is that they book reservations knowing they won't be able to honor them because they want to hook customers into their brand. And they anticipate that they will get to hold those reservations captive and get their holders to move to another ship/itinerary in their fleet as opposed to losing those patrons to another competitor.

This forum is rife with postings, far too many, over the years of cruisers getting notified with minimal advance warning that their long planned cruise has been scuttled, leaving them not a lot of time or choices to make new plans. In many of those instances it was by a decision of the cruise line that was in all likelihood made months earlier but never divulged until the last minute. But of course the disaffected are always given the opportunity to cancel or transfer their booking to another ship. But by that time it is impossible for many to re-book airfare, hotels, or vacation time so they grudgingly transfer their reservation to whatever ship is sailing the same time and has reasonably comparable accommodations available , partly incentivized to do so by an OBC or some other enticement thrown in by the cruise line to sweeten the proposition and to encourage the cruiser not to cancel and try to book with another line.

Like I said, call me a cynic.

"At this time, it has been confirmed by Celebrity Century will continue to sail with Celebrity and currently has no plans of leaving the fleet."

Until of course their plans change and they transfer the ship, or more probable they finally officially confirm what everybody has been speculating about for months.

I mean, come on, Pullmantur/CDF, which has been saying Century is going to join their fleet, is owned by RCL - yet Celebrity and RCL persist in saying nothing has been decided? Yeah, right. Why would Pullmantur/CDF be issuing such statements contrary to RCL? And why wouldn't RCL be stating unequivocally that Century will not be transferring to Pullmantur/CDF instead of issuing PRE speak like 'currently has no plans of leaving the fleet'.

I happen to be quite fond of Century and would hate to see it go, but my suspicion is the decision has already been made and RCL/Celebrity is simply limbo dancing to avoid confirming it as long as they can.

Unfortunately there seems to be a propensity of cruise lines (not just RCL/Celebrity) to try and keep information on ship transfers, dry dockings, or itinerary changes under wraps as long as possible. Why one might wonder since these events can so significantly impact their customers plans. Call me cynic, but I believe it is because doing so benefits them much more than it disadvantages them. My thinking is that the method to their madness is that they book reservations knowing they won't be able to honor them because they want to hook customers into their brand. And they anticipate that they will get to hold those reservations captive and get their holders to move to another ship/itinerary in their fleet as opposed to losing those patrons to another competitor.

This forum is rife with postings, far too many, over the years of cruisers getting notified with minimal advance warning that their long planned cruise has been scuttled, leaving them not a lot of time or choices to make new plans. In many of those instances it was by a decision of the cruise line that was in all likelihood made months earlier but never divulged until the last minute. But of course the disaffected are always given the opportunity to cancel or transfer their booking to another ship. But by that time it is impossible for many to re-book airfare, hotels, or vacation time so they grudgingly transfer their reservation to whatever ship is sailing the same time and has reasonably comparable accommodations available , partly incentivized to do so by an OBC or some other enticement thrown in by the cruise line to sweeten the proposition and to encourage the cruiser not to cancel and try to book with another line.

Like I said, call me a cynic.

They certainly didn't try to get me to switch. They just moved me to the Suez Canal cruise without asking. They never offered me an option to move to the Millenium China/Japan cruise. I was shocked. It worked out OK, since Oceania had a very nice China/Japan cruise, which I have now booked. I have always wanted to try Oceania. Now Celebrity pushed me to try them out.

So, they just arbitrarily decided that you ought to do the mideast instead of the orient? I guess they figured that it was the ship and not the itinerary you were more interested in. Wow, extremely presumptuous on their part not to involve you in that decision I would say, especially if there was any possible option to place you on the Millenium. Perhaps the Millenium was sold out by then, so their best gambit, to hold your reservation captive was to unilaterally make the switch and play the odds you wouldn't object and abandon ship. As much as I like(d) the Century I would have done what you did. You will probably fall in love with Oceania and Celebrity will lose a repeat guest. Good work Celebrity.

So, they just arbitrarily decided that you ought to do the mideast instead of the orient? I guess they figured that it was the ship and not the itinerary you were more interested in. Wow, extremely presumptuous on their part not to involve you in that decision I would say, especially if there was any possible option to place you on the Millenium. Perhaps the Millenium was sold out by then, so their best gambit, to hold your reservation captive was to unilaterally make the switch and play the odds you wouldn't object and abandon ship. As much as I like(d) the Century I would have done what you did. You will probably fall in love with Oceania and Celebrity will lose a repeat guest. Good work Celebrity.

The Millenium isn't full; but the price is about $600 more pp than the deal I had on the Century. Celebrity won't lose me as a customer, since I do love the line and I am Elite + now. However, I have a feeling I will take some of their business to Oceania if I like it. Especially since I can't afford to do all my cruising with O at their pricing.:D

• 1 month later...
I believe that they are doing a complete dry-dock overhaul on the century starting in February. So NO they won't be scrapping her.

Sorry John, but that's not quite the case. Century is currently headed for Drydock. Based on the abbreviated timeframe of 7-9 days, the work is expected to be standard, and certainly not what was originally planned, when Century's Drydock was expected to be 3-4 weeks. Sadly, the extensive plans were scrapped some time ago... so we sit here and wonder what Celebrity's plans are for Century.

I truly hope that Century remains with Celebrity beyond April 2015. However, based on recent reports, it's probably wishful thinking.

Edited by Host Andy

The Millenium isn't full; but the price is about $600 more pp than the deal I had on the Century. Celebrity won't lose me as a customer, since I do love the line and I am Elite + now. However, I have a feeling I will take some of their business to Oceania if I like it. Especially since I can't afford to do all my cruising with O at their pricing.:D

Hi Mike,

Last week, I was invited on Oceania Riviera for the afternoon, when she was in Miami. I was very impressed with the ship, cabins, and the cuisine at the luncheon. Yes, it's a great deal more expensive than Celebrity, and they wont lose us either... but we are considering sailing on Riviera at some point in the future.

Just read small article in travel section of sunday paper today

Quote:

Celebrity Cruises will have two ships based in Australia with Celebrity Century joining Celebrity Solstice for 26 cruises next summer .[/Quote]

chester32

Next summer for you is Nov 2014 onwards.

She then does 3 cruises ex Singapore, then makes her way to Dubai and then on to Rome, where she arrives April 20th 2015.

---- then ????

Edited by upwarduk

Hi Mike,

Last week, I was invited on Oceania Riviera for the afternoon, when she was in Miami. I was very impressed with the ship, cabins, and the cuisine at the luncheon. Yes, it's a great deal more expensive than Celebrity, and they wont lose us either... but we are considering sailing on Riviera at some point in the future.

Andy, I did see your comments about the Riviera preview. I wish my TA had invited me to it, since I am quite anxious to see and know as much as possible about Oceania now that we are booked. I hope you get to go on O soon, so I can read your comments.

I believe that they are doing a complete dry-dock overhaul on the century starting in February. So NO they won't be scrapping her.

Hi John, a complete drydock? Nope....she will be sailing again week

after next....it is now Feb 2nd and her first cruise is Feb 12th......

so drydock is at most 9 days. I doubt a complete overhaul is going

to happen in 9 days.

Sorry John, but that's not quite the case. Century is currently headed for Drydock. Based on the abbreviated timeframe of 7-9 days, the work is expected to be standard, and certainly not what was originally planned, when Century's Drydock was expected to be 3-4 weeks. Sadly, the extensive plans were scrapped some time ago... so we sit here and wonder what Celebrity's plans are for Century.

I truly hope that Century remains with Celebrity beyond April 2015. However, based on recent reports, it's probably wishful thinking.

We sailed on Oceania Marina in 2012 and it had the best food of all the cruises I have been on. I would go again if the price was right. The ship was beautiful and we met some lasting friends. We have cruised with them twice since then, on the Reflection and Eclipse.

We will be on the Century in 10 more days, can't wait. Hope it does stay with Celebrity.:)

------We will be on the Century in 10 more days, can't wait. Hope it does stay with Celebrity.:)

Hopefully you will be able to find out from Future cruise consultants what is happening to Century, as bookings open on February 17th.

We sailed on Oceania Marina in 2012 and it had the best food of all the cruises I have been on. I would go again if the price was right. The ship was beautiful and we met some lasting friends. We have cruised with them twice since then, on the Reflection and Eclipse.

We will be on the Century in 10 more days, can't wait. Hope it does stay with Celebrity.:)

I'm on the 12th & 15th sailings. Hope to meet you onboard !

Edited by Host Andy