Another air deviation question

Dr65

We will be on the Nautica Oct. 8 from Athens and new to the air deviation game.(first time Oceania cruisers-we've been on over 20 Celebrity cruises) The flight from LAX offered by O arrives in Athens at 1:50 PM and the ship leaves Piraeus at 6:00. Doesn't that seem a little too tight? If there is a slight hiccup in the flights that could be alot of stress!! Should I ask for a earlier flight(I dont think there is one) or pay for the deviation just to arrive a day earlier? It seems O could make it a little easier by flying us in the day before without us paying the deviation. Thanks, Dr65

Oceania writes the rules for deviation. If you want to arrive a day early you must pay for a deviation. IF you want to spend time in the destination city that is part of the deviation. Either or both of these changes have a fee.

If you want to select your flights that is a deviation plus. Here you have to pay an additional fee based on the change in cost to Oceania. You should compare these charges with what it would cost to do these on your own after O's air credit. Good luck.

... It seems O could make it a little easier by flying us in the day before without us paying the deviation. Thanks, Dr65

If only! I've been thinking the same thing for years doing Regent cruises. Seems really stupid of them not to waive the deviation fee just for one day early, since so many cruisers do that. But whatever.

I never fly in the day of a cruise if there's any chance of flight delays or misshaps. This means never to Europe or any other continent. Nor to the Caribbean if I'm flying in winter from the north.

Pay the deviation and get yourself some peace of mind. And see a bit of Athens.

4 hours to me seems totally fine for Athens. Too, Oceania under the standard arrangement to get you to the ship. To me that's mission critical. You have a guarantee to make the ship ... that's as stress free as it gets. With the ports so very close together even if you missed the ship it would be a delay of a few hours.

Forget the deviation... because if you take it then you have no guarantees.

there are no guarantees.

If you take O air they are responsible to get you to the ship, but if your flight is delayed they can only arrange to get you to the ship sometimes not at the original port.

A couple of years ago there was a day early feature, but it involved a 5 star hotel overnight and most declined it.

there are no guarantees.

If you take O air they are responsible to get you to the ship, but if your flight is delayed they can only arrange to get you to the ship sometimes not at the original port.

A couple of years ago there was a day early feature, but it involved a 5 star hotel overnight and most declined it.

Don't think Oceania has any responsibility if your flight is delayed. Below is a cut and paste from Oceania Terms and Conditions.:

Air Transportation

Oceania Cruises, as an added service to our guests, offers arrangements for air travel in conjunction with a cruise. Air arrangements, including routings, are at Oceania Cruises' (or its agents') discretion, and are based on flight availability and agreements among various airlines, Oceania Cruises and independent contractors. Special requests, including class of service upgrades, specific carriers and routing, are at the discretion of Oceania Cruises. Upgrades apply to International flights and may not apply to U.S. domestic or intra-continental flights within North America, Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. Air allowance is subject to prevailing rates at time of change. In making these arrangements, Oceania Cruises acts only as an agent on the guest(s') behalf, and does not operate, control, or supervise any airlines and will not be responsible for carriers failing to meet schedules whether or not air tickets were issued by Oceania Cruises. Air tickets are refundable to Oceania Cruises only and are considered a part of the total cruise or cruisetour fare. Any airline-imposed fees that result from changes to or cancellation of air arrangements are the sole responsibility of the guest. Due to government regulations, if you are delayed or unable to board at embarkation, you may not be able to board at a later time. In such event, Carrier shall have no liability to refund any cruise or cruisetour fares.

Jim and Stan perhaps you could give your comments here.

I understood that if you didn't get the air deviation and were coming in on the same day as the cruise departs, then O was responsible to get you on the ship. If not the same day then the next or whatever and they would pick up the costs involved be it hotel or train or plane to the next port.

After reading the last poster this info seems incorrect.

If I am not mistaken I even remember asking O if they were responsible to get you on the ship if your flight with them was late and they said yes.

Does anyone have actual experience with this happening? Did O get you onto the ship if your flight with them was too late to make the ship in time? Who paid for the extra costs?

There is confusion here.

Just wanted to add that this topic of coming in the same day vs arriving earlier has been discussed on other threads. I know it's nice to see the port city and I know it's nice to not worry about missing the ship, I am not asking for those kinds of comments. I have been to this port city multiple times, I don't want to pay for an air deviation and hotel if possible.

I understood that going with O air, that they would get me to the ship if not the first day then the next or whatever, and they would pick up the charges.

I can always call them and ask but the quote from their literature worried me.

I understood that if you didn't get the air deviation and were coming in on the same day as the cruise departs, then O was responsible to get you on the ship. If not the same day then the next or whatever and they would pick up the costs involved be it hotel or train or plane to the next port.

If I am not mistaken I even remember asking O if they were responsible to get you on the ship if your flight with them was late and they said yes.

Does anyone have actual experience with this happening? Did O get you onto the ship if your flight with them was too late to make the ship in time? Who paid for the extra costs?

There is confusion here.

If you read it carefully, what the Clause that Funny26 posted actually says is:

A) Oceania has no control over the Airlines or how they schedule and/or fly their airplanes.

B) If a late/cancelled flight results in a passenger missing some portion of their cruise, then then Oceania cannot be sued for the lost value of the time missed onboard.

That said, if your flight arrives at the embarkation port past the time that the ship can feasibly wait for you -and with the way that they schedule arrivals this is VERY UNUSUAL-, then Oceania will get you to the ship on their dime.

There is confusion here.

Understand your confusion based on the Oceania Terms and Conditions. While Jim and Stan are experienced Oceania cruisers, wouldn't it be better to check with Oceania and get the story from the horses mouth??

Suggest anyone calling quote the Terms and Conditions as there is always the possibility that Oceania will under certain circumstances take care of late arriving passengers however as I read the T's and C's, they legally have no responsibility.

Also, someone at Oceania saying they will take care of you with Oceania air does not make it so if for some reason, Oceania chooses to stand by the written Terms and Conditions. Also, no place in the Terms and Conditions does it say that Oceania will take care of you and pay for you if your flight is late. If it doesn't say they will do something in the T's and C's, they are under no obligation to do it and it becomes their option. Saw Jim and Stan's answer and most probably Oceania will take care of late arriving passengers however, they are not obligated to do that and you do have some risk. One of the reasons many cruise ship passengers choose to arrive at least one day ahead of embarkation.

The devil is in the details.

If you are traveling on a US (Alaska) cruise, boarding in Vancouver and you miss the only non-US port, you cannot board in Alaska and have only US ports due to "governmental regulations." This happened to a cruiser in 2011. That's why that phrase is in.

I see where that would be a problem with the Alaska cruise if you missed Vancouver.

Our cruise is the TA from Barcelona to Miami. The second day is a sea day then tangiers.

We get our flight information around sept. 7. I will ask if there is any written agreement that they will get us to the ship in case of a delay on their dime.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate all the help from cc'ers.

Remember - the Contract is what rules

The earlier post is not just a statement to try to exempt them in lawsuit, they are making a statement that they are not responsible even if they issued the tickets (period).

Now how they respond if there is a problem is not included in that statement, just they are saying they are not responsible.

The Alaska scenario is a good example of wacky things that can happen and completely block you from taking the cruise. Would some sort of insurance cover that? When you are standing at the airport stressed out because you missed the cruise it might give you some comfort. Oh yes - you also now have to find a way home on last minute flights (at your hopefully covered expense.)

And while the way they schedule flights can help to minimize the risk of a late arrival missing the cruise. If as others have posted they would schedule to arrive the day before as most everyone advises on this board it would be even better. The there would be almost no cost difference to O if they offerred the option to book to arrive the day before instead of the day of (they have to make the booking anyway) but they do loose out on the $300 deviation fee so I cannot see it happening though it would be GREAT if they did.

To me a possible late arrival is not so much the problem. The big problem is if you miss a transfer.

For example many flights from North America to Europe will have a transfer somewhere en route. With all the 'hub' business even many flights to Miami will have a transfer. What if you miss THAT connection so you do not make the flight that DOES arrive at the embarkation port on time?

Now you have to get from that transfer airport to the port. Could be sitting at JFK and should be arriving in Barcelona. Good luck. The class of ticket (unknown until issued) that you might be next in line days away. if there is no room on that airlines next flight, you wait, and the next, and ...

The ticket could well be not endorsable so you cannot just get on the next flight on another airline even *IF* they have room - unless you pay for a last minute ticket with that airline. And if there are number of people from the same late flight who had endorsable tickets they are already ahead of you.

So it is not just a matter of arriving early enough on embarkation to still make the cruise even if there is flight a delay, it is a matter of the possibility missing the flight to the port entirely if there is a delay with your first leg.

For me that is why taking cruise line air is riskier if a deviation is not purchased to arrive the day earlier. If you want to fly in on the day of the cruise you might well be better off taking the air credit and arranging your on air with a better (known) class of ticket.

When considering an O cruise we simply add $300 (now) to the cost to include a deviation or inquire to the amount of air credit because for us it is too risky to take O's same day arrival. Not the way I want to start my vacation possibly stuck in a foreign airport trying to figure how to get there (and who will pay.)

I'll consider that as calculated risk with private excursions arriving late as that I have a little more control than being mid way to the embarkation port stuck at some airport.

O will reimburse you to catch up to your cruise if you have their air.

I happened to me last summer.

Their flight arrangements were Newark/Cologne/Barcelona.

Newark/Cologne wound up being cancelled.

I went Newark/Madrid/Barcelona, having to pay for

Madrid/Barcelona and received cash back on board.

Your story is different than what was asked and answered. Yours wasn't a catch up to your cruise when you arrived at embarkation late, it was a flight cancellation that Oceania paid for and paying for a re-routing to get you to Barcelona to catch your cruise.

No different than any other flight cancellation where the airline pays to put you on a different flight. Also, no one is saying that Oceania won't pay for your issue or a late arrival at embarkation; what we are saying is that Oceania has no contractual obligation per their terms and conditions to take care of expenses to reach your ship if it leaves without you. They may take care of you and they may not. No guarantees.

I think for my sanity I will need to do the deviation..it's just too much stress flying from LA to Athens the day of embarkation. I appreciate all of your kind responses and knowledge!

Great to hear that they reimbursed you on board. That is *excellent* service.

Your first-hand experience is noteworthy. Lots of 'what-ifs' (including mine) but few posts of actual experiences. Of course lots of variations on the same basic issue so what happens in one case may or may not happen with another. Your post is useful information & helpful.

Curious, when your first leg was cancelled was that at the airport or did you get any advanced notice from the airline?

Also did you speak with O before booking the new flights on your own?

This must have been a stressful time at the airport. All packed up and no where to go. (Sorry - could not resist. I threw that in because I know of 'trailing' luggage incident :} )

On last time on the cancelled flight.

Flight was United from Newark. Equipment delay and then thunderstorm.

Flight cancelled. While on phone with O, "Now boarding gate 82 to Madrid". O advised try to get on. Gate says-Lufthansa ticket, we can't modify, go to Lufthansa (Terminal B), we're in terminal C. Flight is boarding. Beg & plead. OK you can board. BW- how about checked luggage, me -get on the plane.

We paid for Madrid to Barcelona on Iberia, made the cruise.

3 days later, in Ibiza, saw United e-mail which was flying us to Barcelona on Saturday. This was Sunday.icon7.gif

...While on phone with O, "Now boarding gate 82 to Madrid". O advised try to get on. Gate says-Lufthansa ticket, we can't modify, go to Lufthansa (Terminal B), we're in terminal C. Flight is boarding. Beg & plead. OK you can board...

Well at least you had some time to work out the details :)

Yikes, that was crazy close call. Well done!

I'm sailing on the Marina Nov 10th. I took the air credit ($850), and bought my own air. It cost about $200 more a ticket, BUT I control it. I don't like being at their mercy as they get discounted fares for buying in bulk.

I'm sailing on the Marina Nov 10th. I took the air credit ($850), and bought my own air. It cost about $200 more a ticket, BUT I control it. I don't like being at their mercy as they get discounted fares for buying in bulk.

I'm glad that you worked things out to your satisfaction, but for the purposes of this Forum, I must tell you that there was another option in which you also would have had full control.

When one opts to take an "Air Deviation" through Oceania, the Passenger is also given the option of choosing specific flights, and although "deviating" triggers a fee, our experience has been that Oceania is sometimes able to beat the cost of market price tickets by a significant margin (enough to cover that fee and then some). This is not always the case, but given the eccentricities of Airline Pricing since deregulation, it cannot hurt to ask.

At any rate, the Deviation Fee does not kick in until the Passenger and Oceania come to a meeting of the minds, so we ALWAYS price the Air both ways. :D

Archived