Noordam: Broken Toilet, Cold Showers, and a missed port to save money!

jmkennett

Came over to this board to research HAL. Interesting / Unique itineraries. I have cruised much less than many on here (less than a dozen times total; always within Caribbean area, looking to expand). A bit disappointed to learn that guest relations onboard is so ineffective. OP came back to say that HAL basically bribed him to try again but isn't sharing details when they were very forthcoming with details about original issues.

Seems to me that if you can take the time to go into detail regarding issues you should go into details regarding the resolution. That is the type of information useful to us lurkers who are contemplating a future HAL cruise. Now I see how HAL reacts to problems when they occur, and I would not be pleased. Without knowing how they finally resolved this with OP leaves lingering doubts in my mind.

Now, this thread is not enough to make me dismiss HAL entirely, that would be foolish, but it was a real eye opener as HAL, although they are mass market, has a reputation of being upper scale compared to NCL/Carnival/RCI. but now I see their guest services do not live up the billing in what most would find acceptable.

So OP, if you are following along, HOW was this actually resolved by HA?

Came over to this board to research HAL. Interesting / Unique itineraries. I have cruised much less than many on here (less than a dozen times total; always within Caribbean area, looking to expand). A bit disappointed to learn that guest relations onboard is so ineffective. OP came back to say that HAL basically bribed him to try again but isn't sharing details when they were very forthcoming with details about original issues.

Seems to me that if you can take the time to go into detail regarding issues you should go into details regarding the resolution. That is the type of information useful to us lurkers who are contemplating a future HAL cruise. Now I see how HAL reacts to problems when they occur, and I would not be pleased. Without knowing how they finally resolved this with OP leaves lingering doubts in my mind.

Now, this thread is not enough to make me dismiss HAL entirely, that would be foolish, but it was a real eye opener as HAL, although they are mass market, has a reputation of being upper scale compared to NCL/Carnival/RCI. but now I see their guest services do not live up the billing in what most would find acceptable.

Before making any final judgement, many here have learned to hear both sides of the story first ...which unfortunately is not the nature of this forum but still remains a good operating philosophy. There remain many other highly satisfying reports about HAL guest services too.

And even for those, it helps to know the rest of the story too. Maybe we are more easily pleased or accept there are sometimes circumstances beyond anyones control. Or are more readily bought off with a small plate of unexpected chocolates. :cool:

Also not sure where you got the impression HAL has a reputation for being "upper scale", which due to subjective interpretations of that general term may be the later source for subjective disappointments.

It is a nice cruise line, has over all a wonderful staff, helpful attitudes, good food, spacious cabins, older and smaller ships and great itineraries. If you stop there and don't add any subjective "luxury" overlays that are not really warranted, one can be a very happy HAL cruiser.

Before making any final judgement, many here have learned to hear both sides of the story first ...which unfortunately is not the nature of this forum but still remains a good operating philosophy. There remain many other highly satisfying reports about HAL guest services too.

And even for those, it helps to know the rest of the story too. Maybe we are more easily pleased or accept there are sometimes circumstances beyond anyones control. Or are more readily bought off with a small plate of unexpected chocolates. :cool:

Also not sure where you got the impression HAL has a reputation for being "upper scale", which due to subjective interpretations of that general term may be the later source for subjective disappointments.

It is a nice cruise line, has over all a wonderful staff, helpful attitudes, good food, spacious cabins, older and smaller ships and great itineraries. If you stop there and don't add any subjective "luxury" overlays that are not really warranted, one can be a very happy HAL cruiser.

Yes, but let's be honest here. If you had no hot water and a broken toilet you would not be happy. It's seems that you think it's pretty ok when other folks have issues. You might want to careful with karma.

Hi. I wanted to be clear that HAL took care of us, however, I don't think it is fair to HAL to disclose the resolution. All that does is set a precedent for guests with future issues to say, "so and so got this amount, I want it also." I think it was determined that there was a definite hiccup on board with resolving the problems and they did what they thought was fair. We thought it was fair as well and we're happy with the outcome. I was never asking for my money back or a free cruise, etc. I was not unreasonable and HAL was not unreasonable in how they resolved it.

I will say I'm heading on the Eurodam next and had wonderful experience on that ship in 2011, as well as a great experience on the NA, in Europe, in 2012. I expect, that things will be smooth this time.

I've said before, the Noordam has some issues, which I hope someone resolves. However, as disappointed as I was with what transpired on this cruise, I would happily board another HAL ship tomorrow or most any cruise for that matter, as it sure beats working!

Hi. I wanted to be clear that HAL took care of us, however, I don't think it is fair to HAL to disclose the resolution. All that does is set a precedent for guests with future issues to say, "so and so got this amount, I want it also."

That's reasonable to not disclose specific amounts; I was more curious what they did that actually satisfied you though (without numbers necessarily) because a big part of your (legitimate) complaint was the ineffective service, poor communications, lip service, and at least I got the impression that they didn't really treat you with respect. I don't know if any amount of credit can correct those sort of systemic flaws.

Regardless, it was VERY informative to read this review. Very helpful. To the others that say HA doesn't have an upscale image in the marketplace, who are you trying to fool? I didn't say top tier luxury line, but they certainly DO have an upscale image with people. I have not heard them referred to as mass market cruises, but specialty cruises with nice touches.

I'm going to keep reading reviews here because I see a lot to like, a lot to dislike, maybe one day I'll spend the dime and make the call. Until then happy sailings!

After sailing on HAL ships since the 1970's we gave up after a Bermuda cruise on the Veendam a couple of years ago. What once was indeed a fine line along w/ the Italian & French Lines - that rivaled the best hotels on land, HAL has been transformed(downward) into a mass market corporate product for the low to middle classes & those that do not know better. Carnivore Corp/ HAL has made an art out of promoting / living off its past. An effective advertising program assists in its delusions.

Today the line has a quality of a Holiday Inn....its interesting to read these boards & peoples thoughts on the product...many of them have paid about $100 a day per person for their cruise - room plus many meals & much of the entertainment onboard. Equate that to a land vacation w/ just 3 meals & see what figure comes up.

Being happy w/ the HAL product may be at the whim of the person paying - but to refer to it as luxury etc is simply delusional.

That's reasonable to not disclose specific amounts; I was more curious what they did that actually satisfied you though (without numbers necessarily) because a big part of your (legitimate) complaint was the ineffective service, poor communications, lip service, and at least I got the impression that they didn't really treat you with respect. I don't know if any amount of credit can correct those sort of systemic flaws.

Regardless, it was VERY informative to read this review. Very helpful. To the others that say HA doesn't have an upscale image in the marketplace, who are you trying to fool? I didn't say top tier luxury line, but they certainly DO have an upscale image with people. I have not heard them referred to as mass market cruises, but specialty cruises with nice touches.

I'm going to keep reading reviews here because I see a lot to like, a lot to dislike, maybe one day I'll spend the dime and make the call. Until then happy sailings!

Hi. I wanted to be clear that HAL took care of us, however, I don't think it is fair to HAL to disclose the resolution. All that does is set a precedent for guests with future issues to say, "so and so got this amount, I want it also." I think it was determined that there was a definite hiccup on board with resolving the problems and they did what they thought was fair. We thought it was fair as well and we're happy with the outcome. I was never asking for my money back or a free cruise, etc. I was not unreasonable and HAL was not unreasonable in how they resolved it.

Based on other posts here they have resolved similar situations by giving $500.00 credit towards a future cruise ($250.00 per person). I did recall one person who received OBC while still onboard. I have never heard of anyone receiving a refund, but they are smart to make any resolution conditional on booking another cruise with them.

After sailing on HAL ships since the 1970's we gave up after a Bermuda cruise on the Veendam a couple of years ago. What once was indeed a fine line along w/ the Italian & French Lines - that rivaled the best hotels on land, HAL has been transformed(downward) into a mass market corporate product for the low to middle classes & those that do not know better. Carnivore Corp/ HAL has made an art out of promoting / living off its past. An effective advertising program assists in its delusions.

Today the line has a quality of a Holiday Inn....its interesting to read these boards & peoples thoughts on the product...many of them have paid about $100 a day per person for their cruise - room plus many meals & much of the entertainment onboard. Equate that to a land vacation w/ just 3 meals & see what figure comes up.

Being happy w/ the HAL product may be at the whim of the person paying - but to refer to it as luxury etc is simply delusional.

WOW! Agree with much of what you say, but also wondering "what you really think."

Hank

:eek:

Not the OP, and they have answered BUT guest relations is not always ineffective. We have had good results the one time we had a serious issue and everything was fixed on board and we were 'compensated' with a true apology. The apology would have sufficed.

Unfortunately, the people at the front desk are people. Some are very good and some not so. it's the same everywhere I'm very much afraid.

Archived