Bon Voyage Experience (BVE) Review - Grand Princess - July 29, 2013 - SF

Smokeyham

Do most people who do these tours do so to purchase FCC's? Unless you are an agent, I guess I don't see the point of going on a tour of the ship. I understand that you can apply the amount you pay towards a future cruise, which I suppose is a good thing.

I will be on the Golden Princess this fall, and although I have never been on this particular ship, I have been on others that are very similar. I am looking forward to my cruise, but I wouldn't want to tour it beforehand. Just my take on things.

Take care.

Suzi

I agree, I think it would be depressing to have to get off the ship after only a few hours.

Do most people who do these tours do so to purchase FCC's? Unless you are an agent, I guess I don't see the point of going on a tour of the ship. I understand that you can apply the amount you pay towards a future cruise, which I suppose is a good thing.

I will be on the Golden Princess this fall, and although I have never been on this particular ship, I have been on others that are very similar. I am looking forward to my cruise, but I wouldn't want to tour it beforehand. Just my take on things.

Take care.

Suzi

We're doing it to purchase 4 FCC and also because I can't stand not being on a ship any longer!

• 1 year later...
Do the passengers that are going to be cruising have to pay the $39 for the BVE, or just the guests that they are bringing onboard????

Just guests. But your reservation has to be linked with their BVE in order for you to board early with them.

Edited by janetz

Just guests. But your reservation has to be linked with their BVE in order for you to board early with them.

Great.....thanks so much for your quick response.....Looking foward to our cruise on the 28th of this month.....R&R time....-)

Good review especially for people that don't know the process for the BVE.

I did the BVE in March and will go again next month with people from my December 20th holiday cruise. My suggestion is to arrive around 10:30 am which my group next month is doing. I was surprised when we had to wait 20 minutes for late people. My take was that people that don't arrive on time should be on their own especially since you have to be off the ship by 3 pm.:( When I left the ship the security at the gangway asked me if I was returning which I thought was strange. They never asked for my cruise card so I'm surprised when peoples cards are kept. The tour of the ship is short and good and we got to see a suite, something you don't always have the time to do. Plan to take plenty of photos as you will have photos without a lot of people in them.

Tom:)

We are planning to leave Redwood City around 9AM to get to SF by 945ish and leaves plenty of time for futzing for our BVE with friends...

Do the passengers that are going to be cruising have to pay the $39 for the BVE, or just the guests that they are bringing onboard????

As janetz says only your guests will have to pay the $39. You can also sign up for the BVE even if you do not know anyone who is sailing on that cruise.

Good review especially for people that don't know the process for the BVE.

Thanks!

I was surprised when we had to wait 20 minutes for late people. My take was that people that don't arrive on time should be on their own especially since you have to be off the ship by 3 pm.:( When I left the ship the security at the gangway asked me if I was returning which I thought was strange. They never asked for my cruise card so I'm surprised when peoples cards are kept. The tour of the ship is short and good and we got to see a suite, something you don't always have the time to do. Plan to take plenty of photos as you will have photos without a lot of people in them.

I agree..... You should not have to wait for people who are late! I know on one BVE we did they let us go on at the designated time, even though some members of our own group were running late. One thing we learned with that experience is not to try and coordinate a place to meet by calling each other on cell phones when you are on board. Reception was pretty bad, especially when we were in the lower accommodation decks. What we should have done is to say that latecomers should meet us for lunch at the dining room.

Always surprised when threads are resurrected after a year. :eek:

A minor issue with the OP and a number of the folks who replied early on. There is no “Sail and Sign” card on Princess. That is a Carnival thing. Princess calls it a "Cruise Card". Not a big deal you say? HAH! I sail Princess. I do not sail Carnival. Keep the Carnival terminology where it belongs! :D

Always surprised when threads are resurrected after a year. :eek:

A minor issue with the OP and a number of the folks who replied early on. There is no “Sail and Sign” card on Princess. That is a Carnival thing. Princess calls it a "Cruise Card". Not a big deal you say? HAH! I sail Princess. I do not sail Carnival. Keep the Carnival terminology where it belongs! :D

Thrak

Hopefully the information in my original post is still helpful. Not sure where I picked up the "Sail & Sign" description, since I have only been on one Carnival cruise, and that was a long time ago. Anyhow, thanks for pointing out the correct term to be used on Princess.

Anybody done a BVE and had friends bring on a bottle of wine? Anyone say anything because they weren't going on the cruise?

Interesting question. My answer is "no," but I wonder if the following would apply:

1. The security screeners (Xray) probably wouldn't care. They are contract staff, and have probably been told by Princess that "passengers" can bring on one bottle of wine, and they probably don't know about the BVE program, so think anyone with a Cruise Card is a passenger.

2. If you tried to drink that in the dining room I would assume they would charge your corkage, but if you were on deck, brought your own corkscrew, and could figure out how to get glasses you probably would be OK.

Alternatively, did I read your question wrong and are you sailing, and you want BVE friends to bring wine on board to be left in your cabin? In which case I suspect you could probably do that.