Dining Room for lunch embarkation day?

hawaiideb

We have only cruised Carnival a few times compared to many times on NCL, so I want to check out this important detail for our 1st day. We always go to the dining room for lunch after embarkation instead of the buffet on the Lido deck. DH hates buffets and is immunosuppressed, so dining rooms work better for us. However, after reading several threads about dining on the Dream and Spirit, I was wondering if Buffet dining is our only choice, or will be be able to go to a dining room for lunch? We are on the Splendor out of NY in October :) Just booked this as a little get away for our anniversary! Thanks for the responses.

Debbie

We have only cruised Carnival a few times compared to many times on NCL, so I want to check out this important detail for our 1st day. We always go to the dining room for lunch after embarkation instead of the buffet on the Lido deck. DH hates buffets and is immunosuppressed, so dining rooms work better for us. However, after reading several threads about dining on the Dream and Spirit, I was wondering if Buffet dining is our only choice, or will be be able to go to a dining room for lunch? We are on the Splendor out of NY in October :) Just booked this as a little get away for our anniversary! Thanks for the responses.

Debbie

no, sorry

We just got off the Glory and the Dining Room was NOT open for any sort of lunch on any day. We also cruise NCL quite a bit and we always avoid the crowds at the buffet and head right to the dining room. Not so on this Carnival ship.

I cruised Carnival maybe 4 years ago, and we were quite surprised that none of the Dining Rooms were open for lunch. On sea days, one dining room serves a brunch from 8:30 till 1:30, but that's it.

Cheers

Len

I don't know about the Splendor, however the Dream had one dining room opened on embarkation day when we cruised 3/17/12. The ship was at maximum souls capacity and we were told that they do this at times when the ship is very full to alleviate the crowded buffet. I know that many people suggest the pasta place above the buffet also because not many people have discovered this on the first day. That's a great option as well.

The least crowded areas of the Splendor buffet are the rotisserie upstairs (take the stairs behind the desserts) and the Tandoor port aft.

Ditto to the rotisserie. It's open and virtually no one knows. Go there.

We just got off the Glory and the Dining Room was NOT open for any sort of lunch on any day. We also cruise NCL quite a bit and we always avoid the crowds at the buffet and head right to the dining room. Not so on this Carnival ship.

I cruised Carnival maybe 4 years ago, and we were quite surprised that none of the Dining Rooms were open for lunch. On sea days, one dining room serves a brunch from 8:30 till 1:30, but that's it.

Cheers

Len

I really hate that Carnival has switched to this. I hate eating at the buffet and when we were on the Breeze the Brunch did not open until 9:30am so was too late for breakfast.

I miss having a sit down meal for breakfast and lunch.

I will try the Brunch for lunch but IMHO the menu is not appetizing.

I don't know about the Splendor, however the Dream had one dining room opened on embarkation day when we cruised 3/17/12. The ship was at maximum souls capacity and we were told that they do this at times when the ship is very full to alleviate the crowded buffet. I know that many people suggest the pasta place above the buffet also because not many people have discovered this on the first day. That's a great option as well.

Not anymore

Do you think it saves them money to only serve breakfast/brunch in the MDR? It's not a big deal to me. We will probably get coffee/juice/pastry delivered to the cabin early, and then go the MDR for a later breakfast. Honestly, with snacking during the day, we won't have to go long before we go back to MDR for dinner. We don't mind the buffet at off hours, just when it's most crowded we try to avoid it.

Debbie

The Dream, and sometimes the Miracle, are the only ships that sometimes open their dining rooms for embarkation lunch, if the occupancy rate is high for that specific sailing.

The Dream, and sometimes the Miracle, are the only ships that sometimes open their dining rooms for embarkation lunch, if the occupancy rate is high for that specific sailing.

Hey wait..... I thought the ships always sailed full. In that case they should always open on embarkation day, right. :eek:

Hey wait..... I thought the ships always sailed full. In that case they should always open on embarkation day, right. :eek:

The rooms may be full, but if there's lots of quads as opposed to doubles, the ships occupancy rate increases. This is why some ships seem to be more crowded over the summer and holiday weeks.

We will plan accordingly. We did purchase the FTTF option.. so hopefully not lots of folks will have eaten when we get there :)

Debbie

Since you get to go to your cabin early you can always call room service. :);)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived