Ho Chi Minh, self walking tour.

Yertiz1883

Our cruise ship arrives at Phu My port and we are there for just the day. (Celebrity reduced the itinerary from two days to just the one :confused:)

We are leaning towards purchasing the ships excursion into Ho Chi Minh, where we will do our own thing at our own pace. It appears most of the tourist attractions are within a short walking distance of each other around the central area?

However from our research we are a little concerned as pedestrians, about crossing the roads which it seems involves waiting til cars and vans have passed , and then walking straight across at a steady consistent pace allowing the numerous motor bicycles to pass by either side of you.

We did read somewhere there are numerous (?) tourist police in the central area who will assist you in crossing the road.

Advice, from anyone with first hand experience of getting around the central area on foot, would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

get a tuk tuk.Many just around downtown area.Or ask local,hotel,shop etc.where nearest one is.Take this around old town to see it all,get lay of land,observe traffic.Then can get off and wander around to see what YOU want(we just asked how much for city tour).

Then get off where you want and after your private exploration,get tuk tuk back to meeting point,hotel,or etc.

Most speak SOME English,we made ourselves understood and they were very kind.:)

Thank you both for your replies. If anyone else able to contribute it would be appreciated, perhaps with confirmation that tourist police are/not numerous in the central region and will help you across the road.

We had considered Cyclo travel but found numerous warnings concerning abuse and threatened violence at time of payment.

Thank you both for your replies. If anyone else able to contribute it would be appreciated, perhaps with confirmation that tourist police are/not numerous in the central region and will help you across the road.

We had considered Cyclo travel but found numerous warnings concerning abuse and threatened violence at time of payment.

we found tuk tuk drivers friendly on numerous occasions(only 5 mos ago)and sorry but diidnt see a lot of tourist police(only a few on major crosswalks).But did as said above, just follow the crowds.We managed and both senior citizens.Did not feel uncomfortable and just enjoyed the chaos and went with the flow.:)

I have been to this wonderful city a few times and will be there again next year.

To get the most out of your day I would really take a an official tour whether that is a group tour or a private tour.

You will find that most of the drivers will not speak english and getting around on your own will be difficult in terms of getting from one site to another.

If your intent is to walk around and not really see sites then going it your own is fine. But if you want to see the major sites of this city this is just not one of those places where I would go it alone because the traffic is intense and because it really is hard to do it on your own.

Again, it depends what you really want to see.

Keith

HCMC pretty easy to follow a map and walk around. Visited there again in April this year and walked down to the District 1 area. I don't think you need a guide. Just do some reading up and get a good map. Most of the sites you can access yourself.

I have been to this wonderful city a few times and will be there again next year.

To get the most out of your day I would really take a an official tour whether that is a group tour or a private tour.

You will find that most of the drivers will not speak english and getting around on your own will be difficult in terms of getting from one site to another.

If your intent is to walk around and not really see sites then going it your own is fine. But if you want to see the major sites of this city this is just not one of those places where I would go it alone because the traffic is intense and because it really is hard to do it on your own.

Again, it depends what you really want to see.

Keith

HCMC pretty easy to follow a map and walk around. Visited there again in April this year and walked down to the District 1 area. I don't think you need a guide. Just do some reading up and get a good map. Most of the sites you can access yourself.

Sorry, Keith, gotta agree with icat on this one. ;)

With just a simple map it's very easy to find your way between the major sights on foot - Reunification Hall, HCM Museum, War Remnants Museum, Notre Dame, Post Office (beautiful building, also has good tourist info desk & currency exchange), Ben Thanh covered market, etc etc. At the sights staff spoke good English, signage etc in English & enough English spoken to get by in bars, shops, markets. We managed extremely well on DIY.

But I'll agree about city taxis. Way cheaper than the tourist taxi rip-offs, but few speak English & some only accept VND. So carry a note in Vietnamese of any place you'll need to take a taxi. For instance, if you're on a ship's "on your own transfer" get someone to write that address (probably the Rex Hotel) in Vietnamese in case you need to take a taxi back to it. And check with taxi drivers (& others) if they accept USD/plastic.

BTW, yes, crossing major streets can be intimidating. Choose a spot (probably a junction) where plenty of others want to cross, there's safety in numbers. Get at the "downstream" end of the group, & go when they go. Don't run, but don't hesitate either, and don't make eye contact with the riders. Resist the temptation to miss them, the system works by them missing you - they rely on you maintaining a steady walk & if you break stride you'll throw them.

A little prayer might help, too :D

No worries. :cool:

JB :)

Good luck with this.

Like most things on Cruise Critic or everywhere for that matter everyone has their own views.

My wife and I are very seasoned travelers having sailed on numerous cruises including five full World Cruises. We are also very agile people who love to walk miles and miles each day.

While some have posted that seeing the sites on your own in Ho Chi Minh City is easy, I prefer organized tours to maximize what we see and to get the most out of each day. There are certain cities and places that I feel that is important and others that I feel there is no to very little benefit.

The good thing about places such as Vietnam is that organized tours are relatively inexpensive and to me you can get a lot from the tour guide. On our visit last year we had a private tour and for 2014 we have a private tour with another company that was highly recommended on this board. Prices were quite good.

If I was spending several days there then maybe I would do it differently but to me it is just so very nice to be taken around and not waste anytime locating places. I also just enjoy picking the brain of the tour guide on a whole range of topics.

Anyway, whatever you do, enjoy!

Keith

Like most things on Cruise Critic or everywhere for that matter everyone has their own views.

Yep.

Just to confirm Keith's point, there's no argument here (well, mebbe about how easy to navigate the city centre ;)), & no right-or-wrong.

It's all about personal circumstances & preferences.

Your fellow-cruisers will be going about it in a variety of ways, you need to figure what's "right for you"

Keep in mind that it is a 3 1/2 hour bus ride each way from your cruise ship.

Bit confused now as I was under impression it was around 2 hours from Phu My to Ho Chi Minh City. (about 110 kilometers) if travelling in taxi/mini bus?

Anyone able to clarify please.

Bit confused now as I was under impression it was around 2 hours from Phu My to Ho Chi Minh City. (about 110 kilometers) if travelling in taxi/mini bus?

Comfortably under 2 hrs, excl any exceptional delays. :)

The General may be thinking of travel from Vung Tau (where cruise ships ported before the new facilities at Phu My). Also there's been road improvements in recent years, including a swanky new bridge.

Still takes a big chunk out of the day, which is why I'd recommend a city hotel overnite for those whose ships are berthed overnight.

And why your plan to use ship's transfer is a sound one - it places the onus on the cruise line if the return to Phu My is delayed.

(Tour operators recommended on other threads on CC are also doubtless trustworthy not to miss the sailing, but fixing transport on-the-fly for this trip would be asking for trouble)

When I owned a TA in the 1990s being back to the ship on time was the most important item on the contract the ship had with tour operators in the ports. So if the bus had problems the tour operator would shorten the times at the designated stops - or skip them altogether - to be sure they were back on time and not jeopardize their contract. Due to this policy (which I saw first hand) I NEVER book excursions from the ship! But I do, on occasion, book the shuttle to/from the ship and then catch a private tour in town (which I set up before I travel). You will want to negotiate the cost in advance and when they "guarantee" they will you have you back to the shuttle stop by a certain time have them agree to take you to the ship if you are late. And then plan ahead and keep track of your time.

Here's my experience having just gotten off a cruise that stopped at Phu My less than 2 weeks ago....

We booked a private tour. There were 13 of us. The minivan could fit 18 and a driver. Our driver did a good job to weave around traffic, while being safe. Driving much faster than the cruise ship bus, we were a) the first ones out of the port area, and b) first ones to reach HMC. Having said that, with only 70 km distance, and a more maneuverable minivan, it still two a full 2 hours from Phu My to the Rex Hotel. And that was without a bathroom stop along the way.

For our day in HMC which included a guide and driver, bottled water and air conditioning, coffee atop the roof of the Rex Hotel, a stop at Thien Hau Temple, a drive through Chinatown, lunch at Pho 2000, shopping at Ben Thanh market, driving through District 1, photo stop at Reunification Hall, stop at Notre Dame and Post Office, stop at the lacquer factory and stop at War Remnants Museum, we did twice as much as the Best of HMC tour offered by our ship (Princess) did. for half the cost. For the HMC on your own that the ship offered, which was in a large motorcoach which was a) slower than our minivan, and b) wastes time by stopping for a bathroom break and c) is slower in leaving Phu My while rounding everyone up the ship was charging $69 USD per person. For our tour of 13 people - we paid $60 USD per person and that included the food.

Hard to pass up taking a private tour, especially if you can get a group of a good size.

Of course, if you are intent on DIY, then yes, by all means. It is doable. But may not be the most economical.

Here's my experience having just gotten off a cruise that stopped at Phu My less than 2 weeks ago....

We booked a private tour. There were 13 of us. The minivan could fit 18 and a driver. Our driver did a good job to weave around traffic, while being safe. Driving much faster than the cruise ship bus, we were a) the first ones out of the port area, and b) first ones to reach HMC. Having said that, with only 70 km distance, and a more maneuverable minivan, it still two a full 2 hours from Phu My to the Rex Hotel. And that was without a bathroom stop along the way.

For our day in HMC which included a guide and driver, bottled water and air conditioning, coffee atop the roof of the Rex Hotel, a stop at Thien Hau Temple, a drive through Chinatown, lunch at Pho 2000, shopping at Ben Thanh market, driving through District 1, photo stop at Reunification Hall, stop at Notre Dame and Post Office, stop at the lacquer factory and stop at War Remnants Museum, we did twice as much as the Best of HMC tour offered by our ship (Princess) did. for half the cost. For the HMC on your own that the ship offered, which was in a large motorcoach which was a) slower than our minivan, and b) wastes time by stopping for a bathroom break and c) is slower in leaving Phu My while rounding everyone up the ship was charging $69 USD per person. For our tour of 13 people - we paid $60 USD per person and that included the food.

Hard to pass up taking a private tour, especially if you can get a group of a good size.

Of course, if you are intent on DIY, then yes, by all means. It is doable. But may not be the most economical.

Can I ask which company arranged your private tour? Sound just what we are looking for

Can I ask which company arranged your private tour? Sound just what we are looking for

We arranged our tour through Zoom. He's very well recommended on Cruise Critic and TripAdvisor.

Just look through posts on HMC tours and you'll see his email address.

He's super responsive.

Archived