Dress Categories. RCI makes another mess!!!

It THOUGHT, on previous cruises, that specialty restaurants were "smart casual" every night. Boy have they made a MESS of this!! Here are the dress suggestions for the restaurants on my upcoming cruise:

150 Central Park

We suggest smart, semi-formal attire - slacks for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. (No jeans, shorts, or sneakers, please.) On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Chops

We suggest smart casual attire in Chops Grille - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Izumi

We suggest smart, casual attire-slacks for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. No jeans, shorts or sneakers, please. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is appropriate in the restaurant-suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Chef's Table

We suggest smart casual attire – jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

So, just to review:

At 150 Central Park, it's "smart, semi-formal", and that means I wear.... slacks!:confused:

At Chops and Chef's Table, it's "smart casual", but that means I wear a jacket...:rolleyes:

At Izumi, it's also "smart casual", but this time, it means slacks (so, the same dress as 150 Central Park, but named the same as at Chops, which means something different)!!:eek:

Now, if I were female, "smart casual" and "smart, semi-formal", mean the same thing!:confused:

And.... In all three, formal attire is "also appropriate" on formal nights. Does "also appropriate" mean the same as in the MDR, where it is a "suggested guidleine"?:(

I swear, does RCI encourage the people who come up with this stuff to drink on the job????;)

I haven't figured out the Formal vs Semi formal, your either formal or your not. This is how my husband & I dress for dinners. On non formal nights, myself ( wife ), I wear nice slacks and top with accents, Formal I wear black slacks & fancy top with accents. My husbands wears for non formal nights, regular mens slacks and a shirt, no tie, formal night he wears a suit. That is our basic attire for a cruise.

It THOUGHT, on previous cruises, that specialty restaurants were "smart casual" every night. Boy have they made a MESS of this!! Here are the dress suggestions for the restaurants on my upcoming cruise:

As you have posted, these are only "suggestions" on what to wear. And this is the case on every ship in the fleet.

Well, you know I rarely agree with your opinions, and sometimes the way you choose to express them, but shock of shock, here I will agree with your opinion. :p :D

This is confusing!:eek: If this is verbatim from your documents, then it is a bit confusing, and I noticed it was written this way in my recent docs too. I think one of the reasons that there are so many "dress code" threads and such vitriolic debate is because it's a) unclear and b) inconsistently enforced. Then some poor new cruiser posts asking for clarification and finds themselves in the middle of a maelstrom on these boards, show up on the cruise and find the "dress code" is nothing like either their docs or the opinions on this board:rolleyes:

It's an unfortunate situation all around! :(

Are you OK? You just sound really angry, not just here but on other posts as well. Life is short to get upset and call things a "mess", don't you think?

I'm perfectly fine. One of the problems with forums like this is that it's sometimes hard to convey tone. I am more laughing at this than anything else.

It does kind of make me wonder though. It really surprises me that an operation as big as RCI would continue to have areas where there is this kind of incongruency.

Real problem is that everyone has a different idea of what smart casual means. Lots of men in wrinkled khakis and a old polo shirt or madras shirt. The same clothes I wear to mow the lawn. We didn't particularly like 150 Central park but as many have said it's a lot about the atmosphere. Not really very upscale with people dressed that way. Same applies to formal nights.

Does it really matter how long he's been posting? :confused:

I happen to agree with him. The dress code is confusing.

Thats why I wear whatever I want when I go to dinner (but not shorts, t shirts or a baseball hat), usually dockers, shoes, and a collared shirt. Dont bring suits anymore.

Mike

It seems that RCI has changed the wording for the specialty restaurants. I don't recall "formalwear" being part of the equation as it used to state that even on formal nights, smart casual was appropriate. This was the reason that so many of us chose to dine in the specialty venues on formal night.

I just checked to see if Celebrity changed their wording and it's still the same.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings.

Not really surprised at the above from RCI. RCCL seems to have an issue with being consistent. The left hand doesn't always know what the right hand is doing. On some Celebrity ships, some of the specialty restaurant managers have their own dress code which clearly goes against Celebrity's own printed dress code.

The above from RCI is clearly a change though. Maybe they are trying to tighten the dress code. The last time we were on the Allure it was anything goes. We saw shorts in both Chops and Giovanni's. I blame that on the restaurant managers for allowing it.

Why even bother having a policy if it is not enforced. I have seen cutoffs in the main dining room. It is not hard to pack a few pair of slacks and a blazer. It would be nice if men attempted to dress like men instead of little boys

I'm perfectly fine. One of the problems with forums like this is that it's sometimes hard to convey tone. I am more laughing at this than anything else.

It does kind of make me wonder though. It really surprises me that an operation as big as RCI would continue to have areas where there is this kind of incongruency.

Travel insurance would cover you if you lost your luggage with formal clothes!!!

Looks self explanatory to me. Wear what you want and maybe you will get away with it.

150 Central Park

We suggest smart, semi-formal attire - slacks for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. (No jeans, shorts, or sneakers, please.) On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Chops

We suggest smart casual attire in Chops Grille - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Izumi

We suggest smart, casual attire-slacks for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. No jeans, shorts or sneakers, please. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is appropriate in the restaurant-suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

Chef's Table

We suggest smart casual attire – jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

So, just to review:

At 150 Central Park, it's "smart, semi-formal", and that means I wear.... slacks!:confused:

At Chops and Chef's Table, it's "smart casual", but that means I wear a jacket...:rolleyes:

At Izumi, it's also "smart casual", but this time, it means slacks (so, the same dress as 150 Central Park, but named the same as at Chops, which means something different)!!:eek:

Now, if I were female, "smart casual" and "smart, semi-formal", mean the same thing!:confused:

And.... In all three, formal attire is "also appropriate" on formal nights. Does "also appropriate" mean the same as in the MDR, where it is a "suggested guidleine"?:(

I swear, does RCI encourage the people who come up with this stuff to drink on the job????;)

Why even bother having a policy if it is not enforced. I have seen cutoffs in the main dining room. It is not hard to pack a few pair of slacks and a blazer. It would be nice if men attempted to dress like men instead of little boys

Fat, its because they want to please everyone and for the greater majority they do just that, a wonderful job. For others, they are :(. The others need to try different things or cruise lines and then maybe they will be:D

Archived