Glory-NYC to Canada, August 5, 2013 a review in progress

kangaand2roos

After a fairly long absence I have been back on the CC boards, getting ready for my long overdue cruise on the Glory to Canada out of NYC on Monday, August 5. I have so appreciated reading your trip reports, so I'm going to do my best to provide you with a good one! I'll even try to figure out how to use photos, but no promises there. I will definitely post all of my photos on Facebook, so if I can't figure out how to do it here, you can all friend me!

I am a 46 and 11/12 year old (not going to say 47 until I absolutely necessary!) I am happily married to a man who doesn't like to cruise or go to Disney, but doesn't stand in the way when the kids and I do! Gotta love that about him. I love all things Disney and love cruising! This will be my 7th and it is long overdue!

My kids are a 10yo daughter, Annika, and a 8yo son, Charlie. Charlie won't be coming on this trip. He's staying home with Daddy and going to basketball camp at the Y. He has been on three cruises; 2 on the Valor B2B, and one on the Disney Wonder.

Annika will be joining me, just us girls, and this will be her fifth. In addition to the ones Charlie has done, a year before the B2B Annika and I cruised to Alaska with my brother. She has pretty much loved every minute of every cruise and I am hoping this will be more of the same!

We are HUGE Disney fans. Between Walt Disney World and Disneyland, Annika has been on 30 Disney vacations...31 if you add in the cruise! We have been to Disneyland and Walt Disney World twice each in the 13 months prior to this cruise!

How did we come to plan this after such a long break between sailings?

One day, a few months ago, I realized I had a future cruise certificate that would expire in November. I mentioned it to DH and he suggested I go on a short cruise with Annika from a driving distance port. I checked Baltimore and New York, and the 5 Night Glory Canada itinerary fit the bill. I picked a date that worked in our busy summer schedule and booked it. It was probably less than an hour between remembering the certificate and booking!

For a few months, I focused on my everyday life...kids, school, DH...and then my focus shifted to our Disney vacation which involved me flying to California with the two kids visiting my brother, sister and Disneyland for a combined total of two weeks. Then, I left. The kids with my sister and came home for 2 1/2 weeks alone with DH. My sister then flew to Boston with her three kids and my two, drove to Mystic CT where they spent the weekend and we picked them up...all five of them! For two weeks we had five kids, 11, 10, 9, 8 and 8! I just sent my sister's three home yesterday! I'm so ready for a cruise!

For the last 5 weeks, I have been on CC as much as possible, filling in the time until the cruise!

On past cruising with kids, they spent most of their time in Camp Carnival (or the equivalent on other lines) because they wanted to. This time, I'm really hoping to spend more time actually with my daughter. When we booked, I told her that she had to eat meals with me, but otherwise, if she wanted to do camp, she could. She said that she wanted to mostly hang out with me, but maybe do some things. I'm good with that! We will go to the orientation and then figure it out from there. She loves to read, and has her iPad mini loaded with Kindle books, and reading is my favorite ship board activity, so I think we are going to be good!

We may try the piano bar (early) and karaoke. I'm sure we will swim (weather permitting) and maybe watch a poolside movie or two. We have confirmed early seating and I will request a larger table if we are assigned to a small one. We have FTTF, so hopefully if we are not already at a large table, we will have a shot at getting one! I doubt I'll have more than a drink or two on the whole trip and we are both early-to-bed-early-to-rise types. We enjoy taking walks together at home, and will likely do some early morning walking in the ship as well as plenty of walking in the ports. We will definitely do the Groove for St. Jude!

Our port days will be St. John and Halifax. In St. John we are doing the zip line and in Halifax, just exploring on our own.

We still have a whole day to wait, so I'll take whatever input you'd all like to share before we embark!

Stacey

I am happily married to a man who doesn't like to cruise or go to Disney,

but doesn't stand in the way when the kids and I do! Gotta love that about him.

He definitely needs more dreary chores at home

so he'll appreciate a week's Living In Luxury by comparison!!

He definitely needs more dreary chores at home

so he'll appreciate a week's Living In Luxury by comparison!!

He's a little phobic. He can't swim and being I. The middle of the ocean makes him sweat. In fairness to him, he has cruised with us twice, so, unlike my BIL, he has at least given it a shot!

Tell us about the VIFP party

I said this on another post, but I love your screen name!

I expect I'll attend the party, but since I'm not much of a drinker, and Annika is restricted to the well-under-21 drinks, I probably won't have as much to say as others might!

We did the 7 day NE cruise last year on Glory, but it was late September, on the way out we had great weather and I spent time in the hot tub in Serenity, but with the little one that might not be an option for you.

We had planned on playing min-golf on the sea day on the way back, but it was too windy, so if you have good weather you may want to take advantage of it, because it may not hold.

Enjoy, the Glory is a great ship.

We did the 7 day NE cruise last year on Glory, but it was late September, on the way out we had great weather and I spent time in the hot tub in Serenity, but with the little one that might not be an option for you.

We had planned on playing min-golf on the sea day on the way back, but it was too windy, so if you have good weather you may want to take advantage of it, because it may not hold.

Enjoy, the Glory is a great ship.

I figure in in a win-win on this trip. If Annika wants to hang out with me...awesome! If she wants to go to Camp, I'll hang in Serenity. Either is a nice vacation!

One of my all-time favorite cruise memories us sitting in the hot tub on the Celebrity Mercury with Annika on our Alaska cruise. It was cold and drizzly and we were warm and comfy in the tub! So, bad weather...bring it on! ;)

So, yesterday we drove to Fords New Jersey to spend the night before boarding. On the way, we listened to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone audiobook. (for the umpteenth time! We are both bug HP fans!)

We checked into our hotel, the Palace. It was a dump we got on Hotwire, but better than having to get up super early to drive. We were hungry when we go in so decided to have an early dinner. I checked my NearMe app for nearby restaurants and to my joy and delight, the Harold's Deli in Edison was less than a mile away! Wahoo!

Good thing we were hungry!

Those of you who have been to Harold's know exactly what I mean. Those of you who haven't...Google it! I'd post pictures, and will later if I figure out how, but right now I'm not sure what to do!

Harold's portions are enough to feed a small third world nation and have leftovers! AND they have a pickle bar! I had some pickles and a corned beef sandwich, minus the bread because I avoid (by choice) gluten. Annika had the kids Mac and Cheese. I'd guesstimate that the sandwich had upward of a pound of meet on it! Not eating bread, I was able to eat more than half! I don't eat them anymore, but the matzoh balls there are close in size to a child sized basketball! It is really a place to come in a group so you can share, but I just couldn't turn down the opportunity!

Since it was early ish, we ordered a piece of cheesecake to go. I'm guessing it was close to two pounds!

Back at the room, we had our dessert and listened to HP until we were ready to sleep.

Stacey

Looking forward to your review. We are on Glory Sept.2nd. I have been looking over past posts about how the entertainment is not that good on Glory.Please let us know if the Cruise director is "Active" with guests. Thanks

I am REALLY curious to the weather in the various ports.

I am seeing cold, wet and dreary. And the fog...(LOL

and the fog horn...

VIFP party? so they have a party for everyone now? what about Past quest party? Will the glory have those-- sailing on a 5 night cruise

Looking forward to your review. We are on Glory Sept.2nd. I have been looking over past posts about how the entertainment is not that good on Glory.Please let us know if the Cruise director is "Active" with guests. Thanks

the regular cruise director is on vacation until August 15th and will be completely on by August 19th. Information today regarding the cruise director will not help you for a sept sailing.

Yes, thats right. VIFP party is for gold, platinum, and diamond members on 5 night and + cruises (have not experienced a shorter cruise so this is what I have been told). Should take place the last full day and you should get the invitation in your cabin the night before (personal experience). Have fun!

I did the 7 day Glory Canada/New England last year in Sep 2012. We also stopped in St John and Halifax. You will have a great time. I also did Halifax on my own and really enjoyed it. Make sure you go to the Citadel and the marina area in Halifax. You can do this in a walking tour. I look forward to your review. It has been much cooler with beautul weather this past week and today so hopefully you will have pleasant weather. Have a great cruise.

Make sure you go to the Citadel and the marina area in Halifax. You can do this in a walking tour.

the Citadel is 12 bucks pp. (times 10= a lot of money)

if we drive there can we see a view or do we have to pay to go inside to see the view>)

Serene56. I did my own walking tour in Halifax and I walked up and enjoyed the view without paying the entrance fee. There were displays to read outside the entrance that made the viewing informative and worth it.

Since I didn't drive in Halifax, I don't remember the parking situation for people with cars . Sorry.

It is about a 30 minute walk from the ship to the Citadel so a car might not be necessary depending on your overall plans. The walk will take you through the marina area and through the City of Halifax so you may not even need a car. It was fun and safe walk.

the Citadel is 12 bucks pp. (times 10= a lot of money)

if we drive there can we see a view or do we have to pay to go inside to see the view>)

It's at the top of a hill so there are good views even if you don't go inside. There is a parking lot.

Archived