Do you dismiss 1* and 5* reviews?

Karysa

I ignore the "scores" all together and read the review. One person's bad experience could be another's good experience. Everything is subjective and since we are all different with different expectations, I agree about the "taking it with a grain of salt" comment.

I totally agree about the subjective nature of reviews. And, you're right -- the "scores" don't always match up to the commentary in the review itself.

My general rule is to read everything recent that I can find, and then toss out the top and bottom ten percent of the reviews. That generally gets rid of the cheerleaders and compulsive whiners. What you have left is usually a pretty accurate picture. :cool:

Thinking about OP's question, I did a little "research". Having sailed Oosterdam to Alaska in late June, I thought I'd take a look at some of the reviews. While I probably would have rated it 4 star, I was interested in reading the thoughts of others. Some were much more complimentary, which I could see as someone else's subjective read. What I found really interesting was the absolute condemnation expressed by a few. Not only was their initial experience terrible, but it went down hill from day one. Of course, they never thought of expressing their dissatisfaction for cold, tasteless meals poorly served. They just suffered in silence- their torment being deepened by the dreadful entertainment.

I cannot visualize them being on the same ship --- I just have to write them off as fools or else simply malignant little people pursuing some spiteful, petty agenda.

In summary, while a few five star reviews may be too easily awarded, it is good to see some people really happy, so I won't challenge them. The whining moaners on the other hand who grudgingly give one star, or less, are best simply ignored.

I always look at the reviews, however, We just do what we want to do. Our view is simply ---- Life is like a sewer. What you get out of it, depends on what you put into it. Just do your thing and go with the flow. Any mistakes can be corrected for the next cruise. Sail happy. Come home and start planning the next one. :cool:

Thinking about OP's question, I did a little "research". Having sailed Oosterdam to Alaska in late June, I thought I'd take a look at some of the reviews. While I probably would have rated it 4 star, I was interested in reading the thoughts of others. Some were much more complimentary, which I could see as someone else's subjective read. What I found really interesting was the absolute condemnation expressed by a few. Not only was their initial experience terrible, but it went down hill from day one. Of course, they never thought of expressing their dissatisfaction for cold, tasteless meals poorly served. They just suffered in silence- their torment being deepened by the dreadful entertainment.

I cannot visualize them being on the same ship --- I just have to write them off as fools or else simply malignant little people pursuing some spiteful, petty agenda.

In summary, while a few five star reviews may be too easily awarded, it is good to see some people really happy, so I won't challenge them. The whining moaners on the other hand who grudgingly give one star, or less, are best simply ignored.

The 5* reviews that I think are bizarre are the ones that complain that the food is ok and make comments about rude staff who provided poor service.

If you get a 5* rating with a 3* product where's the incentive to improve?

I do not look at the ratings at all. I just want to hear specifics, THEIR opinions (which might not be mine at all) but I still like to hear about them. Everyone is different and what someone might not like, I might like. I take them all with a grain of salt and form my own opinion. Just like food is different for everyone. I can't judge if their idea of excellent or poor food will be the same as mine....nor do I care. I want to hear what they did. I want to see pictures because to me, pictures are worth 1000 words in my book. I can usually tell if it's the type of place I'm looking for by just seeing pictures. The stories behind the pictures just adds flavor. :)

Very interesting topic....I am really enjoying these responses.

I am also a huge reviewer and read the reviews thoroughly. I am even more plugged in to reviews after a really bad experience at a resort at a beach each several years ago. The reviews were so-so, but the place looked great and was very reasonable. So, I booked it, but after arriving, wish I hadn't booked it. Ever since then, I really pay attention to reviews.....BUT, I will say that the ones I always dismiss are the ones in which it's the poster's only message and they have nothing good to say. I really love the ones on Trip Advisor where there are 3-4 negative reviews right in a row and they are all the only review by that poster and many of them on the same day. Those are clearly the same person, so I do skip right over those. I heavily rely on the reviews from people who have a good number of reviews posted. I am a senior contributor on TA and try my best to give detailed reviews that support what * I have given.

If the star rating is pretty high, I usually only read the 1* reviews! I am always curious to find out just how bad a reviewer could have found a cruise or resort, etc. if almost everyone else loved it!

I, like other posters, look for axes being ground, as well as impossibly high expectations (especially when the cost of the experience being reviewed does not justify this) and also try to figure out whether a really bad review might have been written by someone employed by the competition (I am referring here to restaurant/hotel/resort/excursion reviews more than cruise reviews.)

I actually don't read cruise reviews much any more, because I know what to expect on a cruise, I know how to find the experience I want, and I don't sweat the small stuff.

Especially on Cruise Critic, I mostly dismiss negative comments regarding issues of taste -- everyone's tastes are so different, how is it useful to me to read the impressions of a stranger? When I am on a cruise, I make sure to find something to please me, and I always have. I am inclined to be positive, and it has worked for me.

Yes, I have had some minor inconveniences and disappointments on cruises, but somehow I cannot remember them clearly when I get off the ship, and they certainly have never come anywhere near ruining my cruise. I cannot say this about land-based hotel or restaurant experiences, though -- I am much more particular about them! This is undoubtedly because I have had some dismal experiences in these latter categories, but never on board ship. Maybe I honestly believe I am incapable of having a bad cruise!

Of course, like most posters, I look for "issues" that concern me. Negative comments about chair hogs, buffet lines, expensive mixed drinks, slow embarcation, rudeness on elevators and some other topics don't concern me, as either I do not value these aspects of cruising, or I tolerate these categories of inconvenience well and thus dismiss them.

If the star rating is pretty high, I usually only read the 1* reviews! I am always curious to find out just how bad a reviewer could have found a cruise or resort, etc. if almost everyone else loved it!

I, like other posters, look for axes being ground, as well as impossibly high expectations (especially when the cost of the experience being reviewed does not justify this) and also try to figure out whether a really bad review might have been written by someone employed by the competition (I am referring here to restaurant/hotel/resort/excursion reviews more than cruise reviews.)

I actually don't read cruise reviews much any more, because I know what to expect on a cruise, I know how to find the experience I want, and I don't sweat the small stuff.

Especially on Cruise Critic, I mostly dismiss negative comments regarding issues of taste -- everyone's tastes are so different, how is it useful to me to read the impressions of a stranger? When I am on a cruise, I make sure to find something to please me, and I always have. I am inclined to be positive, and it has worked for me.

Yes, I have had some minor inconveniences and disappointments on cruises, but somehow I cannot remember them clearly when I get off the ship, and they certainly have never come anywhere near ruining my cruise. I cannot say this about land-based hotel or restaurant experiences, though -- I am much more particular about them! This is undoubtedly because I have had some dismal experiences in these latter categories, but never on board ship. Maybe I honestly believe I am incapable of having a bad cruise!

Of course, like most posters, I look for "issues" that concern me. Negative comments about chair hogs, buffet lines, expensive mixed drinks, slow embarcation, rudeness on elevators and some other topics don't concern me, as either I do not value these aspects of cruising, or I tolerate these categories of inconvenience well and thus dismiss them.

I pretty much agree with all of this. Frequently, I gain a lot more insight by reading a 1 star review over reading a 5 star. A lot of times, a 5 star review is just glowing, but not all that specific. "Awesome cruise!" "Best Cruise" "Best food I have ever eaten anywhere!!" But a 1 star review is usually more likely to get specific about what was wrong. OF course, as you mention, sometimes it's about stuff the cruise line can't control. ("It rained every day!! This sucked. 1 star") Or maybe it's about stuff that doesn't impact me or I don't care about "The Diamond Lounge was always crowded and I couldn't get a seat". Or "They cancelled the Belly Flop contest"

You are right about "taste". But it's good to describe what you didn't like.Maybe I have the same "taste". Instead of "Food sucked", tell me "Food was always overcooked". "Food was under seasoned" We may like different things, but there are some universal things that can make food not so tasty.

All that said, I do really believe people cane have bad cruises. Everyone has an off day (or week). Even the best of people and companies.

Archived