Do you dismiss 1* and 5* reviews?

Karysa

I have read a lot of travel websites lately including resorts and excursions that I have been to or on myself and I have decided that the most authentic reviews are the 2, 3, and 4 star reviews. I read 1* reviews where the food was very good but the entertainment was pretty non-existent and 5* reviews where the food was "ok", and the the staff less than impressive with rude attitudes and sub-par delivery. When I threw out the high and low marks the reviews seemed more even and the positives and negatives of the place more in- line with eachother. Anyone else feel the same way about reviews on this site and other travel sites?

As a rule, very high scores and very low scores noted to be accompanied with specifics -- if there are cited reasons for a score at either end of the spectrum, I can see accepting 5* and 1* reviews. I am not likely to be impressed with a so-so rating either way; for a review to make me consider or disregard a cruise, it should point out things I either value, or completely dislike.

Plus you get one ones who don't understand the scoring. I've seen some that gave the cruise a 1 but loved everything about it. This can mess up the averaging of all the reviews.

So yes, 1's and 5's have to be looked at carefully.

Don

a 1 or 5 can be valid, as long as the person gives specifics as to why they rated it that way. Most of the time when someone is negative, they give blanket statements that everything was bad with no details, or they focus entirely on one really negative point and let that be the focus of their entire vacation. On the flip side, a lot of the "perfect" reviews, tend to just state that everything was amazing, but with nothing to compare it to as a point of comparison.

I thought my first cruise (honeymoon) was a 5, but I had nothing to compare it to......13 cruises later it is still a 5......it was an awesome honeymoon :)

My worst cruise will still get at least a 2.

The first thing I look at in reviews on any site is the percentages. If I'm comparing 2 cruise ships (or hotels or restaurants) and one is 85% 3-5 stars and the other is 60% 3-5 stars, then that tells me something immediately. I also look at 1 star percentages. If there are a small number of 1 stars, I usually don't even read them, as any ship (or..etc.) will have occasional events that can cause someone to be mighty unhappy. If there are a large number of 1 stars, then I skim them to look for common problems. If there is a common problem, but it's something that I don't really care about (such as lack of free "all you can drink" packages or Broadway-style shows), then I can ignore them. If the problems are more important to me, such as safety or cleanliness issues, or surly crewmembers, then I pay attention.

Many reviews tell you more about the reviewer than they do about whatever is being reviewed, and I think that's much more often the case with 1 and 5 star reviews.

For me, it seems that there's the most credible information in a well-written 3 or 4 star review that gives specific likes and dislikes, pros and cons. By 'well written', I mean including enough information to describe the situation without boring you with irrelevant details, and covering all the issues most people care about (food, service, cleanliness and safety, cabin comfort, general condition of the ship, etc.). That type of review will influence me the most. If a review is long and written without the use of paragraphs, I quickly lose interest and won't read it.

In addition to the reviews in the formal 'reviews' section, don't forget to search for reviews on the specific cruise line boards. These often include pictures and you can post questions about things the reviewer says.

I ignore the "scores" all together and read the review. One person's bad experience could be another's good experience. Everything is subjective and since we are all different with different expectations, I agree about the "taking it with a grain of salt" comment.

If someone gives a particularly bad review, I like to know why. I read one today that gave a bad review dwelling on the initial embarkation which went poorly because THEY were late arriving and felt the cruise line didn't bend over backwards to accommodate them. Sorry Charlie, I think they were busy accommodating the other 4000 passengers who bothered to arrive timely.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Enjoy your cruise!

I have read a lot of travel websites lately including resorts and excursions that I have been to or on myself and I have decided that the most authentic reviews are the 2, 3, and 4 star reviews. I read 1* reviews where the food was very good but the entertainment was pretty non-existent and 5* reviews where the food was "ok", and the the staff less than impressive with rude attitudes and sub-par delivery. When I threw out the high and low marks the reviews seemed more even and the positives and negatives of the place more in- line with eachother. Anyone else feel the same way about reviews on this site and other travel sites?

I want to know the specifics of why they scored very high or very low, because they might have a specific like or dislike that I share. If they gave it a high or low rating because of something I don't care about (like the quality of the stage shows), I don't care and bypass the review, but if something I do care about (like food quality) was especially good or bad, that I want to know about. I understand how an otherwise good (3-4 star) experience can be made wonderful or horrible because of a single item - sometimes that matters to me and sometimes it doesn't, but I won't know til I read it.

Interesting replies so far. I think people should be more careful with there 1 and 5 star ratings. Giving a 5* rating while having issues with food and service helps the resort fill up there rooms because on some travel sites the resorts get certificates for having a large percent of these types of ratings. Some people book by looking at such certificates and scores. On the other hand giving a restaurant a 1* can sour that restaurant to tourists more so than the locals where word of mouth also plays a role in a restaurants success.

People should be honest and fair when reviewing and rating restaurants, resorts and excursions as it can affect business and people's vacation. Some reviews that I have read sounded like solid 3's possibly a soft 4 but they gave 5's. No reason to improve on your 3.5* service or product if you're getting 5* ratings to me.

No, I don't automatically dismiss 1s and 5s . . . but I do look at outlying ratings with a critical eye. For example, if most posters give a certain item a 4 or 5, and someone else gives it a 1, I'll read the review but think that person might have very different standards or might've had a unique situation.

The thing I care most about in a review, however, is DETAILS. I someone says, "I absolutely loved my cruise on ___ line. I can't wait to go again, and I'm going to tell everyone I know!" I totally ignore that review. If the person can't tell me WHAT was good about the cruise, I don't think the person has put much thought into it. On the other hand, if the person discusses the amount of storage in the stateroom, the hours that the dining room was open, and the system used for disembarkation . . . I think that person has thought through things, and I am likely to credit his review as reputable.

I do not dismiss any review that holds credibility, to me.

I usually can recognize when the writer could have an axe to grind or if the author

has rose colored glasses pasted to their eyes.

However, I have read some reviews I accept as credible and could be categorized as one star and other that a reasonable person could call five star.

DH and I have enjoyed some cruises we would truthfully rate as five star. Out of about 90+ cruises, I would say we were fortunate to have somewhere in the range of 15 that we would not have changed a single thing. :)

I do not dismiss any review that holds credibility, to me.

I usually can recognize when the writer could have an axe to grind or if the author

has rose colored glasses pasted to their eyes.

However, I have read some reviews I accept as credible and could be categorized as one star and other that a reasonable person could call five star.

DH and I have enjoyed some cruises we would truthfully rate as five star. Out of about 90+ cruises, I would say we were fortunate to have somewhere in the range of 15 that we would not have changed a single thing. :)

True there are some 5* reviews that have no negative comments. If something is rated as excellent overall there really shouldn't be significant complaints such as food being only ok and staff being indifferent and rude. On the other hand if the staff is rude but the bed is comfortable and the food very good a 1* is also unjustified.

I guess it's my new pet peeve. I'm kinda tired of the old one anyway.:D

The first thing I look at in reviews on any site is the percentages. If I'm comparing 2 cruise ships (or hotels or restaurants) and one is 85% 3-5 stars and the other is 60% 3-5 stars, then that tells me something immediately. I also look at 1 star percentages. If there are a small number of 1 stars, I usually don't even read them, as any ship (or..etc.) will have occasional events that can cause someone to be mighty unhappy. If there are a large number of 1 stars, then I skim them to look for common problems. If there is a common problem, but it's something that I don't really care about (such as lack of free "all you can drink" packages or Broadway-style shows), then I can ignore them. If the problems are more important to me, such as safety or cleanliness issues, or surly crewmembers, then I pay attention.

Many reviews tell you more about the reviewer than they do about whatever is being reviewed, and I think that's much more often the case with 1 and 5 star reviews.

For me, it seems that there's the most credible information in a well-written 3 or 4 star review that gives specific likes and dislikes, pros and cons. By 'well written', I mean including enough information to describe the situation without boring you with irrelevant details, and covering all the issues most people care about (food, service, cleanliness and safety, cabin comfort, general condition of the ship, etc.). That type of review will influence me the most. If a review is long and written without the use of paragraphs, I quickly lose interest and won't read it.

In addition to the reviews in the formal 'reviews' section, don't forget to search for reviews on the specific cruise line boards. These often include pictures and you can post questions about things the reviewer says.

This is exactly what I have been thinking since reading this site and others at length recently.:) Correction :) I tend to give most weight to the 4 * reviews. To me that speaks of a very good product and that's what I am looking for. Someone else's 4 is my 3-5 and I can live with that. :)

True there are some 5* reviews that have no negative comments. If something is rated as excellent overall there really shouldn't be significant complaints such as food being only ok and staff being indifferent and rude. On the other hand if the staff is rude but the bed is comfortable and the food very good a 1* is also unjustified.

I guess it's my new pet peeve. I'm kinda tired of the old one anyway.:D

There are some 5* reviews because there are some 5* cruises. :)

I don't think it reasonable to expect a 'perfect' cruise especially given your perfect may not be my perfect.

But, for us, we have had a percentage of cruises that were entirely satisfactory in all ways that matter to us.

I think it is most important to check out what category the reviewer was in. Someone who stayed in the Owner's Suite won't have the same experience I will likely have. I look for well written reviews that are more about providing helpful information rather than giving me their diary with generalities. I want DETAILS.

May read a few reviews but they to not influence my final decision as there are too many unknowns. There will always be someone complaining about food, service, entertainment, the ships plumbing and numerous other things regardless of the cruise line or cruise ship. Also most reviews are subjective at best . Besides everyone's experience will be different and things differ from cruise to cruise even on the same cruise ship.

Hours are not spent trying to find out who the cruise director will be as that person has no influence as to whether or not I'll have fun.

Personally I think that people spend too much time focusing on reviews and than go with expectations determined by other people they don't even know who wrote those reviews. I choose to go with no expectations other than to have a good time and don't worry about the things that are ultimately out of my control. I select a cruise based on the itinerary, the features of the ship that interest me and what I'm willing to pay including airfare.

I use a rule of thumb to evaluate the veracity of bad reviews, especially those that run counter to most of the posted reviews for that ship:

I look for one major thing, real or imagined, that was not resolved as the reviewer wished. I then believe that the reviewer magnifies anything negative that happens afterward. Suddenly a stain casused by someone who spilled a glass of wine 20 minutes before is reported in the review as "carpets were worn and stained", a single minor mistake by a waiter becomes "service has declined in quality" and not liking one dish becomes "the food was horrible."

You get the drift....

I tend to ignore "everything was perfect" reviews if they come from known "cheerleaders"

I can't say that I've ever read a 1 star review that seemed deserved- i.e, the person was complaining about minor or unfair things. It's not cruise related, but a woman wrote a 1 star review of Discovery Cove in Orlando because among other silly complaints 'there was sand everywhere and not concrete to walk on.' Really? You want to cover a beautiful place like Discovery Cove with concrete just because walking on sand is a bit too much like hard work? Silly reviews like that don't put me off going but they do provide some amusement!

Usually if I see one extreme or another I click on the person's nic and see if they are always very low or very high...if so, then I take the review with a grain of salt.

This. I have several hundred reviews on Trip Advisor. Half are in three star (average/good) range. 40% are either two or four stars. Now and then I give one or five--but I always back up my rating within the review. I don't hold things not in the control of the establishment against them. Weather, a 2:00 am brawl in the parking lot of an adjacent business, or an Internet outage affecting the entire region for example.

I would hope that people accept both the one star and five star reviews based on the overall number of reviews and the scoring methodology I obviously use if you read a few of them.

Archived