Not Very Live from Caribbean Princess 8/4/2013-8/16/2013

Posaune

Background—My wife and I arrived in London from Atlanta two days before the cruise to see few things and get over the time difference. We arrived at Heathrow on 8/2 at 7 AM and took a pre-arranged National Express bus into Victoria Coach. We stayed at the Park Plaza Victoria so that we would be near busses for a couple of trips. In the evening we toured Buckingham Palace with pre arranged tickets in a small group with guide. (70 pounds each for the evening tour which includes champagne and a guidebook at the end of the tour) On 8/3 we ventured to the Harry Potter Studios for an absolutely wonderful studio tour. Warner Brothers does a great job. Tickets were booked through Golden Tours online including transportation for 57 pounds each. That evening we attended Evensong at Westminster Abbey.

London was a bit of a mess due to a bicycle festival going on with many blocked streets. On 8/4 it was back to Victoria Coach for a 9:30 AM reservation on National Coach for Southampton. National Coach had warned us via email travel time would be increased because of the bike event, but we actually arrived early at 11:30. After a seven pound cab ride (plus tip) we were at the port. We went straight into the terminal and checked in and we were in our cabin by 12:05.

We are as far front as you can get on Riviera deck in an inside cabin. Right out on time at a little after 5. Fairly smooth sailing to Guernsey. It was very windy in Guernsey. We had a bouncy tender ride in and VERY bouncy one back to the ship. We took a private tour with Gaby who took us on a ride around the island and then a walk through town. Due to extreme winds, tendering was a long process. There was an hour and a half wait for tenders. No one could ride on top, speed was reduced way down and docking at the ship was difficult. Most everyone seemed to go with the flow. Formal night tonight and pictures should be interesting because of the bouncing. 25 knot winds and 7 foot seas. Feels good to me! More later as I have time.

IMG_1107a.jpg.0f0aac02ad83e5ee7355ee0985ea0cb8.jpg

Looking forward to hearing more - will be on the Carib Princess for the first time on Princess Cruise Line later this year. We will be on the Lido forward - have you gotten out on the front deck on Lido???

That tender looks fun!!! :eek::D

WOW!! That must have been quite a ride. :eek: I'm surprised they actually tendered given the conditions and how relatively common it is to bypass Guernsey. Well anyway, look forward to the rest of your report and wish you calmer seas ahead.

Can't wait to read about your experiences on this cruise. We will be getting on the Caribbean Princess at the end of your cruise on Aug. 16th.

Those waves look a bit harsh.. Will definitely be wearing my "patch".:)

Thank you in advance for posting this "live" review.. So excited..

The seas smoothed out about 9:30 last night so it was a nice end to the evening with the late show of “Do You Want to Dance”. I have seen it a couple of times before, but it was a nice production. The champagne waterfall was uneventful. 3211 passengers onboard 2001 US, 370 UK, 359 Canadian and miscellaneous others. Into Cobh on time this morning, overcast and 62 degrees. We were out at 8 for a Princess tour to Muckross House and Kilarney. We had a very good guide and a nice day. We got back right at sailaway. The show tonight was violinist Greg Scott with the Princess Orchestra. It was a very nice concert mixing a lot of Andrew Lloyd Webber with a bit of classical. As a classical musician myself I would say don’t miss this show! Very smooth sailing so far tonight. Into Dublin at 10:30 AM tomorrow. First time I can remember excursions coming back at 7:30 in the evening. That will be a new experience for me.

I am sorry that we missed the Cruise Critic gathering on Monday. With the delay in tenders it just did not work out for us. I understand our guide in Guernsey is posting my photo of the bouncing tender on her website!

A note to those boarding on the 16th of August or considering it in the future….. this is a PORT INTENSIVE cruise. A good number of folks on the cruise are totally exhausted after three days of long excursions in a row, and there are two more days of excursions before the first sea day. Those that flew in on the day of the cruise are especially finding it difficult.

Anyway, we got into Dublin after a very smooth night just a few minutes after 11 AM. Everyone wanted off the ship immediately, so they gave out numbers for those on independent tours and called them to control the flow. Princess tours were somewhat staggered throughout the morning and early afternoon. Our tour was a quick drive and visit to Christchurch Cathedral and then on to Avoca Village Handweavers, lunch and then Glendalough. The tour was very good, despite our driver getting a bit lost after he missed an exit. We were not delayed but about ten minutes. We returned to the ship a little before 8 PM. Yes that was a long day. I was disappointed that the Irish dancers were brought onboard for a show at 7 PM, long before we returned from our tour.

I have been very pleased with the condition of the ship and with the quality of service onboard. The food has been good to excellent and the selections offered are great. Of course there are a few onboard that complain about everything and just are not happy with life. Try and ignore these folks---they are just looking for attention. Sailaway was after dark, about 9:40 I believe. Tomorrow a lot of folks head off to the Tattoo. I do not know how some of them are going to make it because they are already exhausted!! Sunny all day and temperatures in the upper 60's.

I have missed a couple of days posting because I have just been running all day and night. Yesterday was finally our first sea day after five straight days of ports. We still managed to stay busy. It has continued to be quite cool. 55 degree high yesterday and it mainly floated around 53. In the Orkneys now and it is 53 with the threat of rain all day. The seas have been quite calm so far. For those interested, the most traveled had 667, 688 & 745 days. All were from the UK. THe reception last night was nicer than most we have attended. With 1899 Captains Circle they have had quite a few receptions. It seemed that last night was really for the upper platinum and elite. Dinners have been good but no lobster yet.:(

The Captain is Giorgio Pomata. We went into the sea Of Hebrides, passing Barra on the port side. We did transit the Minche between the Outer Hebrides and the west coast of Scotland until we rounded Cape Wrath towards Pentland Firth. I hope that answered your question.

I might not have mentioned that there are 1,257 gold/ruby, 494 platinum & 148 elite on board. The shows have really been impressive to this professional musician. The McDonald Brothers put on a very entertaining show, the Caribbean Princess Dancers and Singers are some of the best we have seen on Princess and the Diamond String Quartet are absolutely wonderful. Do not miss their solo show in Explorers.

I might not have mentioned that there are 1,257 gold/ruby, 494 platinum & 148 elite on board. The shows have really been impressive to this professional musician. The McDonald Brothers put on a very entertaining show, the Caribbean Princess Dancers and Singers are some of the best we have seen on Princess and the Diamond String Quartet are absolutely wonderful. Do not miss their solo show in Explorers.

I wish I'd read this earlier today. I know the music director on the Caribbean would have enjoyed hearing the positive review (and the dancers and singers also) when I spoke with him.

Thanks so much for the review. I leave on Tuesday for London and will be doing this cruise August 16th! Glad to hear the entertainment is wonderful. I definitely will enjoy the Quartet.

The August 16 Roll Call, is having a Meet & Greet on August 17, 3-4pm in the Skywalker after our Guernsey port, come and meet other passengers on the same cruise. All are welcome.

The Captain is Giorgio Pomata. We went into the sea Of Hebrides, passing Barra on the port side. We did transit the Minche between the Outer Hebrides and the west coast of Scotland until we rounded Cape Wrath towards Pentland Firth. I hope that answered your question.

Thanks Posaune!

Back at home and at work again. We did self disembark at 6:30 AM Friday, easily carrying our large bags and carry-ons off the ship ourselves. Walked directly to a taxi and for less than 7 pounds (+ tip) we were at the National Express bus station in just a few minutes. We were way early for our 7:45 bus to Heathrow. No traffic problems and we were at Heathrow by 9:30 and actually through baggage drop, security and at our gate by 10 AM. We had a smooth flight home with great views of the snow and glaciers while flying over Greenland. We had a fantastic cruise with a great crew, entertainment and food that we found to be very good at all locations. No, not everything was perfect, but we don't expect perfection-- just a good product with people that are trying their best to please. We found very few rude passengers. This was a change from several of our recent cruises. We took seven Princess tours and had no issues! Everyone actually made it back to the bus on time after each stop! That is unusual.

Please ask any questions you like about the cruise and I will try and answer!

My favorite port was the Orkneys. So much to see and do. I really could have passed on Invergordon/Inverness. There are several good tours from this port, but we had already done them all. The Le Havre stop for Paris/Versailles/Normandy is wonderful, but in August the sites are dreadfully crowded because all of France and Italy are on vacation!

I miss a stop in Wales on this cruise! The August 16 cruise was skipping the Orkneys and stopping in Liverpool.

Archived