Bad Bathroom smells

Hi,

Travelling for 12 days on the carnival spirit with 3 adults and two kids in two interconnecting cabins, and no doubt we will have some "ahem" smells to deal with.:p

what have people used in the past that they have found works.

Do carnival spirit have power points in the bathroom that you could plug a vapour deoderiser into?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ta maree

Hi,

Travelling for 12 days on the carnival spirit with 3 adults and two kids in two interconnecting cabins, and no doubt we will have some "ahem" smells to deal with.:p

what have people used in the past that they have found works.

Do carnival spirit have power points in the bathroom that you could plug a vapour deoderiser into?

Any comments would be appreciated.

Ta maree

we take our own toilet spray or glen 20

I agree with the previous posters. Unless you are in a balcony cabin, there is not much you can do about it.....but the vents do do a good and quick job in clearing some odours!!!!

We were on the Spirit about 2 months ago and from memory, the only power point in the bathroom was for an electric shaver. An Aussie point is in the main cabin, as well as an american point. Take a converter to give you an extra point.

Only been on one cruise, but .... yep a feint whiff of sewerage in the cabin (a balcony) and we hadn't left port yet ... nor had we "been". :eek:

But the best was yet to come. We were port side so the sun didn't hit our cabin until the afternoon (we were sailing north) and when the sun shone into the cabin, there was a very distinct smell of dirty unwashed stinking feet that invaded the cabin about 4 PM every afternoon.

Now I was vigilent and washed our undies (socks & jocks) every day and hung them on the line over the shower to dry. Oh dear, I actually got down on hands and knees and sniffed hubby's shoes and mine! Nope no stinkie smell at all. Then I sniffed the carpet! Holey moley! *cough* and *splutter* for gawd's sake, wear something on your feet people - don't walk around your cabin barefooted!!!!!

LMFO, oh yeah, and hubby found some Fiji coins under the bed .... and from checking the ship's movements, it hadn't visited Fiji for about 15 days. :rolleyes: Yep, those room stewards sure do a great job! ;)

Not to comment on the "natural" odors generated in the bathroom, but many people have problems with smells in the bath that are not generated by the occupants. Since the entire bathroom is a single "wet unit" at construction, there will be a floor drain somewhere in the bath, not in the shower (frequently a gutter near the door). The a/c can dry out the water in this drain's trap, and allow odors to back up into the cabin. A pre-emptive glass of water into this drain daily will keep the odors at bay.

Glen 20, not only for use in the bathroom, but door handles, flush button, phone. I also spray around the aircon outlet every morning as I leave the cabin. Hopefully this aids in keeping those cold bugs at bay.

Friends of our sprayed around the aircon outlet, but they accidently also sprayed the smoke alarm sensor. After they went to bed (not wearing clothes as they usually do) the phone in the cabin rang and an automated voice said "This is an emergency. This is an emergency. You must vacate your cabin immediately. (then repeated the message)." They quickly put some clothes on and were grabbing medications, warm clothes etc. etc. as instructed in the Life Boat Drill. The phone rang again and this time it was a real person who asked if they had a fire in their cabin. They answered "No". "Are your sure?" "Yes absolutely". They were then told to ignore the previous instruction because it was an automated message from the Bridge. They were very puzzled, but went to bed. The next morning they told their cabin steward what had happened. They also mentioned that they had sprayed the air-con outlet with Glen 20. He then nodded and told them they had also sprayed the smoke alarm. He then suggested that they don't say anything on board about it.

Message - Be very careful what you spray with Glen 20!:D

Got back Sunday from the Summit to Bermuda, our first Celebrity cruise. My daughter and grandkids had an ocean-view room (no windows). As soon as we walked in there was an immediate smell of urine. We alerted the steward and next day, they found a water leak that they insisted was clean water vs dirty water. OK fine, but the smell persisted. even after shampooing the carpet, & huge fans going, minor OBC perqs, etc.

Some back and forth, and long story short, the day before we left I insisted that the supervisor inspect the room. He said to me that the smell was from the creams and lotions that we they used!!! Whoa!!!! I told him I was insulted!!! This was my daughter's first cruise, and the steward was so wonderful she did not want to get the steward in trouble---you know how these things are. This caused problems all throughout the cruise since the kids and she complained of headaches and the front desk claimed that there were no rooms to move her to. :rolleyes:

We left with a bad impression of Celebrity (also for other reasons).

What would you have done????

we sprayed our cabin on one cruise with glen 20 and by chance the smoke alarm copped it too and set off the smoke alarm and we got a phone call from the bridge so now we are careful spraying the room

Got back Sunday from the Summit to Bermuda, our first Celebrity cruise. My daughter and grandkids had an ocean-view room (no windows). As soon as we walked in there was an immediate smell of urine. We alerted the steward and next day, they found a water leak that they insisted was clean water vs dirty water. OK fine, but the smell persisted. even after shampooing the carpet, & huge fans going, minor OBC perqs, etc.

Some back and forth, and long story short, the day before we left I insisted that the supervisor inspect the room. He said to me that the smell was from the creams and lotions that we they used!!! Whoa!!!! I told him I was insulted!!! This was my daughter's first cruise, and the steward was so wonderful she did not want to get the steward in trouble---you know how these things are. This caused problems all throughout the cruise since the kids and she complained of headaches and the front desk claimed that there were no rooms to move her to. :rolleyes:

We left with a bad impression of Celebrity (also for other reasons).

What would you have done????

Ask to talk to the Hotel Manager. By the way, we weren't very impressed with Celebrity for several reasons.

Friends of our sprayed around the aircon outlet, but they accidently also sprayed the smoke alarm sensor. After they went to bed (not wearing clothes as they usually do) the phone in the cabin rang and an automated voice said "This is an emergency. This is an emergency. You must vacate your cabin immediately. (then repeated the message)." They quickly put some clothes on and were grabbing medications, warm clothes etc. etc. as instructed in the Life Boat Drill. The phone rang again and this time it was a real person who asked if they had a fire in their cabin. They answered "No". "Are your sure?" "Yes absolutely". They were then told to ignore the previous instruction because it was an automated message from the Bridge. They were very puzzled, but went to bed. The next morning they told their cabin steward what had happened. They also mentioned that they had sprayed the air-con outlet with Glen 20. He then nodded and told them they had also sprayed the smoke alarm. He then suggested that they don't say anything on board about it.

Message - Be very careful what you spray with Glen 20!:D

thanks for the warning...........seems I should change my habits

very strange question from the OP, we would take the glen 20 or some toilet spray also

Might seem strange, but i have been told some very strange remedies from friends who have cruised, from hanging car deoderisers in the room, to using public amenties so not too "block up" you own toilet,:D so wanted to hear what more experienced cruisers do.

Cheers maree

Might seem strange, but i have been told some very strange remedies from friends who have cruised, from hanging car deoderisers in the room, to using public amenties so not too "block up" you own toilet,:D so wanted to hear what more experienced cruisers do.

Cheers maree

if the news sheet that the ship prints out every night they advise you where possible to use your own toilet and saves using the public toilets because some passengers are not very clean in regards to washing their hands after using the toilet.....we have been on cruises where they have had the noro virus onboard because people dont wash their hands and they spread the germs and when that happens there's no self serve at the different dining venuers including no making your own tea or coffee

if the news sheet that the ship prints out every night they advise you where possible to use your own toilet and saves using the public toilets because some passengers are not very clean in regards to washing their hands after using the toilet.....we have been on cruises where they have had the noro virus onboard because people dont wash their hands and they spread the germs and when that happens there's no self serve at the different dining venuers including no making your own tea or coffee

Yep, have heard that too. I work in the allied health industry so very conscious of hand hygeine, others not so much- unfortunately, so hence my original post on keeping things as pleasant as possible for all concerned, plus minimising any bad odours that may pre exist in the cabin.

all comments appreciated.:)

Yes, no one wants noro virus spreading, better to have a smelly bathroom for a few minutes. I bring a car freshener, helps in the cupboard with smelly wet sneakers as well.:D

We were on Voyager during a long ( several cruises) outbreak of Noro.

Our family was fine - I never used public toilets, or the elevator that was used for going to the ships doctor!

We sprayed our cabin with Glen 20 and also took a hand sanitiser that was long acting ( not alcohol based).

We never had any 'smells' so to speak but due to Noro the ship had carpets etc all sanitised and balconies washed.

We were on Voyager during a long ( several cruises) outbreak of Noro.

Our family was fine - I never used public toilets, or the elevator that was used for going to the ships doctor!

We sprayed our cabin with Glen 20 and also took a hand sanitiser that was long acting ( not alcohol based).

We never had any 'smells' so to speak but due to Noro the ship had carpets etc all sanitised and balconies washed.

I know you can not have them in carry on, can you pack aerosols in your checked in luggage?

You can buy small press type bathroom deodorisers that come with a self adhesive strip that will sick to the wall of the cabin bathroom that peel off causing no damage.

I used them but will get flamed for telling lol

When I smoked I use to smoke in the cabin bathroom under the extractor fan then give the deodoriser a few press,s to take away the cigarette smell:p

You can buy small press type bathroom deodorisers that come with a self adhesive strip that will sick to the wall of the cabin bathroom that peel off causing no damage.

I used them but will get flamed for telling lol

When I smoked I use to smoke in the cabin bathroom under the extractor fan then give the deodoriser a few press,s to take away the cigarette smell:p

It is a good thing you do not need to that anymore then.:D

Archived