Splendor of the seas- boarding in Venice!

trudi30

Hi everyone,

I am boarding the Splendor, Nov'13 in Venice.

Does anyone have any tips for getting to the cruise port etc, we are staying for a few nights in Mestre before we board!?

I've been reading some reviews online, but I'm confused about whether this 'people mover' is any good or whether we should get a water taxi... Either way do they both leave from the main bus station area in Venice?

Sorry for sounding clueless, but I am when it comes to this and would value any advice!

Thanks very much :)

We did this last year. We took the people mover and then walked to the ship. We missed it, but there were buses at the end of the people mover to take you to the ship. The buses weren't well marked as to which ship they were for. I believe you could get a land taxi from your hotel to the ship but not sure on cost. We loved the Splendour

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This map indicates the berths at the terminal, Piazzale Roma and the People Mover track. Look under Ship Schedule to find the SOS berth .. the date format is day/month/year.

http://www.vtp.it/terminal/crociere.jsp

We sailed the SOS in 2009 and RCI had a free shuttle from Piazzale Roma to the ship. No schedule though. We waited for about 20-30 minutes. If the PEople Mover had been operating we would have taken it.

If you can manage your luggage easily you can take a city bus from Mestre to Piazzale Roma for under 2E pp. Then walk a block to the People Mover, 1E pp for 3 minute ride.

If you can't manage your luggage, take a taxi directly to the pier. It's only about 5-6 miles from Mestre so it shouldn't be more than 25-30E.

Hope you enjoy your trip as much as we did!

We learned to LOVE taxi service. I'm not unable to walk or schlep a piece of luggage, but the ease and convenience trumped a few euros. I wasn't trying to locate the right bus, going up or down any steps, and we got to the ship,without any worries, stress or back tracking. We just took a trip where our traveling companions insisted on using trains, subways, walking. We have another cruise planned for this June and taxi service and private drivers will be included. Having done both, I'm convinced of what's right for me, but everyone has a different priority.

We learned to LOVE taxi service. I'm not unable to walk or schlep a piece of luggage, but the ease and convenience trumped a few euros. I wasn't trying to locate the right bus, going up or down any steps, and we got to the ship,without any worries, stress or back tracking. We just took a trip where our traveling companions insisted on using trains, subways, walking. We have another cruise planned for this June and taxi service and private drivers will be included. Having done both, I'm convinced of what's right for me, but everyone has a different priority.

You are right. A few years ago we traveled with my parents and used water taxis twice (from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the ship). My mom has mobility issues and that was the easiest for her.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi everyone,

I am boarding the Splendor, Nov'13 in Venice.

Does anyone have any tips for getting to the cruise port etc, we are staying for a few nights in Mestre before we board!?

I've been reading some reviews online, but I'm confused about whether this 'people mover' is any good or whether we should get a water taxi... Either way do they both leave from the main bus station area in Venice?

Sorry for sounding clueless, but I am when it comes to this and would value any advice!

Thanks very much :)

We stayed in Mestre in June and took a taxi (land taxi) from our hotel to port. We actually shared a taxi with another couple and it was 20 EURO with tip per couple. Like someone here said: "I'd rather do more EURO and less cardio".

We stayed in Mestre in June and took a taxi (land taxi) from our hotel to port. We actually shared a taxi with another couple and it was 20 EURO with tip per couple. Like someone here said: "I'd rather do more EURO and less cardio".

I'd rather do more cardio, and then spend the EURO and the calories on more gelato! ;)

Well, since you are staying all the way out in Mestre the People Mover is of little use unless you first get yourself into Venice. So, you do have some options. You could take the train from Mestre into Venice, walk a few hundred yards (plus cross a stepped pedestrian bridge) to the Piazale Roma and then pay 1 Euro per person to take the People Mover over to the port. At this point you will still have a nice walk from the People Mover to the port terminal (and luggage drop) facility.

The other option (and probably the best reason for staying out in the boonies of Mestre is that you can simply take a regular land taxi from your hotel directly to the port.

Hank

Archived