Pinnacle Solo Dining

Taz

I sometimes drink more than one glass of wine;)

As do I. After all, it's not as if they're going to let me drive the boat at any point in the evening. :) On my previous cruise, my friend and I split part of a bottle of wine on the first evening, only to be the recipients of some pointed comments on the evils of alcohol from one of our table mates. If that weren't awkward enough, it turns out that they were from my home town and her husband was the brother of a realtor that did a horrible job of selling my parents house. Yowsers! Thankfully we largely managed to avoid them the rest of the week. But I digress from the topic at hand...

Thanks again to those who've shared their experiences!

Taz, if I were cruising solo, I think I would be more comfortable dining in the confines of the Pinnacle at a two top.

Based on comments from other solos, I believe that's what will happen as I've made a reservation for one. The awkward table mate moment happened in the main dining room when we were just randomly seated to fill up the table.

Based on comments from other solos, I believe that's what will happen as I've made a reservation for one. The awkward table mate moment happened in the main dining room when we were just randomly seated to fill up the table.

I've purchased a 3 bottle package from Hal on a 7 day cruise and was told by poster on this board that they don't know how I could drink so much:eek:. Maybe if they did they might have more fun:D.

I've never dined alone on a cruise ship, but admire all of you who do and who enjoy your alone time.

I expect that for those people who have lost a spouse and are traveling solo, the first time must be very hard, but then it must get easier.

Life is too short to deny yourself a fine dining experience in the Pinnacle.

Have a great cruise.

I've purchased a 3 bottle package from Hal on a 7 day cruise and was told by poster on this board that they don't know how I could drink so much:eek:. Maybe if they did they might have more fun:D.

LOL, Lorene! That's hardly excessive! Seems rather moderate to me. :)

I expect that for those people who have lost a spouse and are traveling solo, the first time must be very hard, but then it must get easier.

You're right on both counts, Carol. The first time is excruciating, but each successive time gets easier and easier. There's even some great things about being alone---like the bathroom is always free. ;)

I encourage everyone going for the first time solo, after being half of a couple, to keep his/her chin up and keep on keeping on. It gets so much better, and you can have a great time seeing the world.

Only a 3-bottle? :o

RuthC has stated it so much better than I could. Even after 8 years, there are times when that empty chair across from me is almost more than I can bear. At home I have simply avoided the restaurants we favored as a couple and made my own new routine. On a cruise you only need to be as alone as you wish to be. When your grief hits you can retreat to the privacy of your cabin until it passes. I found an up-side to traveling alone when I discovered that I could order room service and read with all the lights on at 3:00 a.m. if I couldn't sleep.

jaspersmycat, that first trip is the most difficult. You won't stop missing your DH but you'll discover new strengths and come home renewed.

Only one glass? <confused> <is that possible?>

Maybe if it's one of those really large 750ML glasses. You know, the ones with the long, skinny necks? Oh wait, that's the bottle. Never mind. :)

Maybe if it's one of those really large 750ML glasses. You know, the ones with the long, skinny necks? Oh wait, that's the bottle. Never mind. :)

Now you're talking:D. Why dirty the glass? Years ago my ex and I went on this travel junket (he's a journalist). We went to one winery but they had multiple reps from various wineries. I drank a lot of wine. As if that wasn't bad enough we all left with our own bottle...open and we were drinking from it:o. The things you do when you are young:eek:.

When I cruise solo, which is probably about half the time, I eat almost every dinner in Pinnacle. (The 50% 4-star Mariner discount helps, as does the 50% wine package discount.)

I can assure you: you will not be seated out-of-sight in a back corner or treated like a problem child. I don't know whether the Pinnacle staff has training in this, but they go out of their way to make solo diners feel comfortable and welcome. I personally prefer Pinnacle to MDR because it is so much more personal, not to mention the food being awesome. I can go well more than a week without having the same dish twice so it is never boring.

PS - I've met some of the nicest people dining alone in Pinnacle. Yes, alone. :) Many times people have asked the maitre d' to ask me if I would like to join them, especially if they've seen me repeatedly in Pinnacle. I have made some good friends that way.

When I cruise solo, which is probably about half the time, I eat almost every dinner in Pinnacle. (The 50% 4-star Mariner discount helps, as does the 50% wine package discount.)

I can assure you: you will not be seated out-of-sight in a back corner or treated like a problem child. I don't know whether the Pinnacle staff has training in this, but they go out of their way to make solo diners feel comfortable and welcome. I personally prefer Pinnacle to MDR because it is so much more personal, not to mention the food being awesome. I can go well more than a week without having the same dish twice so it is never boring.

That's really comforting to know. I've been thinking of doing that.

I have been on my own for 15 yrs and have no problem dining alone on land but this is my first solo cruise (not my first cruise) and I was a bit concerned that I would feel conspicuous in the MDR.

CJ

I have been on my own for 15 yrs and have no problem dining alone on land but this is my first solo cruise (not my first cruise) and I was a bit concerned that I would feel conspicuous in the MDR.

You never need to dine solo in the main dining room unless you want to. You can ask to be seated with others, whether that be on fixed seating or open.

It's only in the specialty restaurants that parties aren't combined. The Pinnacle, Canaletto, and Tamarind restaurants seat parties as booked.

Hi

last two cruises I was on 2011 &2012 Amsterdam to Alaska. I went solo. I never ate ini Pinnacle I liked my tablemates. Plus my waiters.

I found the food very good. Being a solo I have favorite resturants at home. Sometimes so of my friends do not want to go so Iwill go out to eat alone. I really don't care what people think.

traveling solo has its advantages you can do what you want when you want to. Your free. It also has its disadvantages. Number 1 a big one the cost. it can be loney at times dispite making friends on board and going up to the crows nest and join in. A table of 6 is good in the MDR.

walking around ports most of the time your alone. You can become the odd duck with a couple or couples. I have had wonderful times aaaas a solo and I think sometimes its the best of both worlds. But that cost. I wish the cruise industy would figure there are more of us out there and give us a break. I really want to take a cruise in October but the cost as a solo its not going to happen.

Mary

I have to agree with Aruba. The staff in the Pinnacle on the Veendam in January made certain that I felt comfortable. So many times in a restaurant the solo diner is placed "in the corner in the back in the dark".

By the way, I had the 5 bottle package plus two beverage cards for a 21 day cruise. You never can have too much wine!

Maybe one like this:

m27yXuksLPwsFyeyTkzR65A.jpg

Ummm, I actually got one of those in a white elephant gift exchange. It does hold an entire bottle, but I prefer white wine and it gets warm before I can finish it. Now if they could just invent one similar to the slush mugs it'd be perfect!

Amazon.com! They sell everything! :)

By gosh, you're right! I just checked and they have glasses that hold an entire bottle of wine. I was just kidding, BTW...don't have the need...but it would be a good joke gift.

Archived