Valetta, Malta

We just got back from the Silhouette and visited Valetta on Nov 10 (Sunday). Our group of 6 also opted for a private tour with Joan Sheridan - joan@maltatourguide.com. Joan is the wife of the owner of Malta Travel.

Joan is so knowledgeable about the history of Malta. For details, here is her website.

http://www.maltatourguide.com/malta_private_tours

Our 7/8 hours tour covered walking tours of the following attractions:

- Valetta

- Grandmaster's Palace (replacing St John's Co-cathedral)

- Hagar Qim

- Marsaxlokk fishing village

- Mdina

Unfortunately our tour was on a Sunday so St John's Co-cathedral was not opened for public tours but Joan timed our tour so that we were able to get in during Church service to view the inside of the church which was awesome. We covered quite a cross section of Malta's culture and history (approx. 7000 years of history) in one day. There was a bit of walking to do but no climbing or uphill walking.

The cost of the tour for our group of 6 was 295 E (350 E for 8 people) plus approx. 12 E pp for admission fees. Tips are additional/optional. She was so good, we gave her and the driver handsome tips.

Since we would usually have big breakfast at the ship, we opted for a short lunch break at Marsaxlokk and added the Blue Grotto boat tour (8 E pp) in our itinerary.

We had set-up private tours at each of the ports visited during our 13 nights Adriatic cruise. We had great tour guides at Koper, Ravenna, Split, Valetta and Naples.

We're going to the same ports in May and would appreciate if you could email the email addresses of the guides that you used.My email addressi ben.goldman@rocketmail.com. Thank you and have a Happy Holiday Season and New Year.

We're going to the same ports in May and would appreciate if you could email the email addresses of the guides that you used.My email addressi ben.goldman@rocketmail.com. Thank you and have a Happy Holiday Season and New Year.

Based on feedback from this board and fantastic reviews on Trip Advisor, we booked with Joan Sheridan. She has been great as we have communicated via email. Here is her information:

http://www.maltatourguide.com/tour/show/1

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g190320-d3768990-Reviews-Malta_Tour_Guide_Private_Day_Tours-Island_of_Malta.html

Have fun...we are a few months later than you on our trip but very much looking forward to it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. We hope to be in Malta in June 2014 on the Silhouette. Arriving at 1 p.m. and leaving at 10 p.m.

Do you think a 4 hour tour with a private guide to Mdina and Valetta will be a good overview? Guessing that a 7 hour tour would not work as well given our timing.

Thinking of doing a 4 hour tour (1:30 to 5:30 pm) with time to wander around Valetta at the end and then back on the ship at 7 or so for dinner.

Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions. We hope to be in Malta in June 2014 on the Silhouette. Arriving at 1 p.m. and leaving at 10 p.m.

Do you think a 4 hour tour with a private guide to Mdina and Valetta will be a good overview? Guessing that a 7 hour tour would not work as well given our timing.

Thinking of doing a 4 hour tour (1:30 to 5:30 pm) with time to wander around Valetta at the end and then back on the ship at 7 or so for dinner.

pYou do know that with a private tour you can add on time or take time away from the standard "4 hour tour". That is why a private tour is so nice. You call the shots. We have taken many a "4 hour tour" and added on an additional site we wanted to see or deleted something - they will adjust the price accordingly.

So customize your day to get exactly what you want - Malta was such a nice surprise for us as we had a really nice day there.

Happy Holidays everyone,

My husband and I sailed on the Silhouette this past September and we very much enjoyed the cruise and the destinations. We did a customized tour in Malta. I put together a travel blog. The link is below

http://pandbtraveladventures.blogspot.com

If you are specifically interested in Malta, then click on September 28th on the left hand side. Feel free to browse the entire blog and share the link. I will chronicling the entire trip, but so far I have only completed thru Athens. It's a work in progress.

Hope this helps

Petra

Thanks Texancruzer and ssislandgirl. Definitely love those private tours that can be customized.

ssislandgirl, your blog is great and you were able to do the three things that right now I am most interested in seeing in Malta (Mdina, the hard to spell fishing village and Valetta). I will take a look at your private guide's website. Very helpful.

And I look forward to reading more of your blog as you post it! Love the help I get on CC :)

• 2 weeks later...
We will also be visiting Valletta on the Silhouette in Sept. Planning on taking the lift up to the town- when you leave the ship which way do you turn?:confused: Thanks for your help

Hello Canagal,

We did the ship's tour when we were in Malta. Did you two end up doing this on your own? I can't remember if you were on our tour or not. We definitely want to see Valleta this time.

Hello Canagal,

We did the ship's tour when we were in Malta. Did you two end up doing this on your own? I can't remember if you were on our tour or not. We definitely want to see Valleta this time.

Hi Midwestchick

Please pardon this intrusion, but I noticed that you had posted on the Azamara site and wanted to suggest that, if they are still offering the Evening/Night ship's tour to M'dina, it warrants consideration.

We enjoyed it immensely: it was extremely atmospheric with a nice glass of wine offered at one of the sites along the city's walls.

We found it memorable.

Hi Midwestchick

Please pardon this intrusion, but I noticed that you had posted on the Azamara site and wanted to suggest that, if they are still offering the Evening/Night ship's tour to M'dina, it warrants consideration.

We enjoyed it immensely: it was extremely atmospheric with a nice glass of wine offered at one of the sites along the city's walls.

We found it memorable.

No intrusion whatsoever....I appreciate your input. Azamara is not offering much and all tours are in the morning and are 2-4 hours. Right now I have Gems in the Capital City booked only because today is the deadline for the 25% discount. Last year we had Marsaxlokk and the Blue Grotto booked but the tour was changed due to bad weather so we were put on a bus and taken to a number of stops, including Mdina but had very little time to spend at each stop. Needless to say, it was a little disappointing. We are actually in port 14 hours on our upcoming cruise so we definitely want to do something that is longer than 4 hours.

No intrusion whatsoever....I appreciate your input. Azamara is not offering much and all tours are in the morning and are 2-4 hours. Right now I have Gems in the Capital City booked only because today is the deadline for the 25% discount. Last year we had Marsaxlokk and the Blue Grotto booked but the tour was changed due to bad weather so we were put on a bus and taken to a number of stops, including Mdina but had very little time to spend at each stop. Needless to say, it was a little disappointing. We are actually in port 14 hours on our upcoming cruise so we definitely want to do something that is longer than 4 hours.

Sad that they cancelled an excellent and popular tour.

As you know, there are taxis available for personal use at the port, but both we and another couple ran into the same unscrupulous driver. He attempted two different tactics to increase his fees. We hope he was an exception. Because of the rather short distance involved, it seemed that none of the drivers who were organized through a central dispatch system wanted to deliver tourists just to Valleta itself.

Please forgive an off-topic comment, but we were very impressed with Sicily Life for its private tours and they might be helpful to you in Syracusa.

As you know, there are taxis available for personal use at the port, but both we and another couple ran into the same unscrupulous driver. He attempted two different tactics to increase his fees. We hope he was an exception. Because of the rather short distance involved, it seemed that none of the drivers who were organized through a central dispatch system wanted to deliver tourists just to Valleta itself.

Please forgive an off-topic comment, but we were very impressed with Sicily Life for its private tours and they might be helpful to you in Syracusa.

You are correct that no taxi wants to take a fare to Valletta since that means they are essentially taking you up a single hill...and the distance is less then a mile. Some cruise ships run a shuttle service to get folks up the hill (which puts you downtown). But for those able to walk, it is really not that difficult to simply make your way into the center of town by using your legs.

Hank

A little off topic doesn't bother me....thanks for the tip.

Who knows....maybe this is one of the free excursions Azamara is offering for new bookings...maybe that's why it isn't showing up. We are not entitled to the free land discoveries...drat. Nordski, if you have more information you would like to share, you can E-mail me at mrs gumbah at aol dot com. :D Put port forums or cruise critic nordski in the message box, or something that I will know who you are.

Hlitner....I have some nerve damage due to a car accidnet a few years ago, so the steps could be an issue for me. I saw pictures of them and they are a bit much.

You are correct that no taxi wants to take a fare to Valletta since that means they are essentially taking you up a single hill...and the distance is less then a mile. Some cruise ships run a shuttle service to get folks up the hill (which puts you downtown). But for those able to walk, it is really not that difficult to simply make your way into the center of town by using your legs.

Hank

I agree and I understand now that it is not the service that they wish to provide, but it is still offered and, because of my wife's mobility issues, we wanted to husband her resources. All of our prior research suggested this was a viable plan.

On the way up we had no problem and tipped the gentleman well to compensate somewhat for his disappointment. Upon our return, the rather less honest of the drivers attempted to short change us. The same man attempted to negotiate a higher price with another couple on the way back to the ship and, when they wouldn't budge on the agreed fare, he dumped them, including a mobility-impaired husband, some distance from the ship.

I'm assuming these experiences are not the norm, but, when we return to Valleta, we'll attempt to prearrange a pick-up and drop-off avoiding, we hope, this potential issue.

• 2 weeks later...

We will be stopping in Valletta on Oct 1st from 8AM to 6PM on our Celebrity Adriatic cruise. It sounds as if there is a lot to see in Valletta; I think we would like to walk around that city on our own. But reading this post, others have said that Mdina is not to be missed. That city sounds intriguing, and I know we can get there by city bus, and the HOHO, but I am concerned about making the return connection; others have said the bus can be full and not stop, and that there is not a designated bus stop and you just have to wait and follow the crowd. We have looked at the ship's tour to Mdina, but I really think we would rather do it at our own pace. A private tour is another option. We would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

when we went to Valletta last year, as soon as you come out of the terminal there is a stand that you can book a taxi trip to mdina .. this will take you to mdina and rabat and back... 4 of us did this first... then we got the taxi to take into Valletta where we spend the rest of the time wandering around... in the middle of town there were these things like golf carts that took you back to the ship if you didn't want to walk for around.... ooh I can't even remember .. not a lot though...

here is my blog for our visit...

http://gaznjoseurope.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/day-60-valletta.html

there are 3 entries for Valletta to look at...

We will be stopping in Valletta on Oct 1st from 8AM to 6PM on our Celebrity Adriatic cruise. It sounds as if there is a lot to see in Valletta; I think we would like to walk around that city on our own. But reading this post, others have said that Mdina is not to be missed. That city sounds intriguing, and I know we can get there by city bus, and the HOHO, but I am concerned about making the return connection; others have said the bus can be full and not stop, and that there is not a designated bus stop and you just have to wait and follow the crowd. We have looked at the ship's tour to Mdina, but I really think we would rather do it at our own pace. A private tour is another option. We would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

I think I might have posted earlier in this thread. But like the above poster just said, you can easily arrange for a taxi to take you to Mdina (and whatever else you want to see). You arrange for it by the hour at the kiosk as you exit the ship. They write it up on paper and you pay them at the kiosk. You then take a slip of paper to the first taxi in the line. He will stay with you for whatever duration you paid for. We paid for 3 hours (50 or 60 euros, if i recall) and went to Mdina, Rabat, Moste, and then back to Valletta (up on the hill). At each stop, the driver dropped us off at the location and told us where he would wait for us. It was up to us to spend as much time as we wanted walking around each location. The driver is not a guide, and your mileage may vary, but ours was quite talkative and interested in answering any questions we asked him. Back in Valletta, we tipped the driver for a great 3 hours and walked around town for a couple hours before walking down hill to the ship.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello, to those of you who has been to the Blue Grotto before, so is the only way to see the Blue Grotto is thru the boat ride?

I was checking some of the itineraries around the web and and a lot of them are going to Zurrieq to see the Blue Grotto on from top? I'm not sure what that means, does that mean you don't need the boat ride to see it? Please advise. Thanks.

Hello, to those of you who has been to the Blue Grotto before, so is the only way to see the Blue Grotto is thru the boat ride?

I was checking some of the itineraries around the web and and a lot of them are going to Zurrieq to see the Blue Grotto on from top? I'm not sure what that means, does that mean you don't need the boat ride to see it? Please advise. Thanks.

Yes, that is correct. The day we were supposed to see the Blue Grotto by boat, it was raining so X changed our shore excursion to a boat excursion.

• 1 month later...
Would it be possible to give me step by step instructions on how to get to the elevator to get to Valetta from the cruise terminal? My husband has some mobility issues (knee problems) but it sounds like an easy walk?

Hi there.

The walk is "easy" in that it's quite level, it is however, quite a distance, probably 15 minutes walk at a leisurely pace.

After exiting the cruise terminal take a right, stay on the main road and when you get to the end of the taxis the lift is down a short walk way on the left. You can see the top of the lift from a distance away.

ehune9ym.jpg

I've used google Earth to give you an idea. The cruise terminal is on the left and the lift is on the right very close to the last bus stop symbol. Don't let the cruise terminal fool you, it's quite a bit of backwards and forwards to get out.

Good luck.

Would it be possible to give me step by step instructions on how to get to the elevator to get to Valetta from the cruise terminal? My husband has some mobility issues (knee problems) but it sounds like an easy walk?

After exiting the cruise terminal, look for the horse and buggy carriages, which line up in front of an exit from a parking garage. Go up that ramp, and you can take the elevator from the bottom floor of the garage up to Valletta, where the elevator exits right by the circle with all the buses, which is located outside the main entrance into the walled city. Not a far walk at all.

Edited by CintiPam