Juneau Question

5fathom

Yes, but there is an $8 shuttle bus that I'd recommend more highly. I'm heading out right this minute, so I'll just post these links, and you'll see my thoughts on this from last August.

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2012/08/a-walk-along-juneau-waterfront.html

http://pescadoamarillo.blogspot.com/2012/08/mendenhall-glacier-and-east-glacier.html

I would not suggest the city bus. We were there in July and took the bus to the McCauley Salmon Hatchery. First of all, you have to walk quite far to get to the stop. They don't really adhere to scheduled stops as posted. We waited a good while and one never showed up. Finally walked further to the main bus stop, waited again for a while and finally got on. Printed bus schedule was not clear at all and if it wouldn't have been for the nice driver, we would have missed our stop. Made it to Hatchery but took a cab back to the ship.

There is the Juneau city buses and private operated shuttle buses. the shuttle buses go from the dock area, parking lot near the tram, direct to Mendenhall Glacier. the city bus picks up in downtown Juneau, has several stops, and drops 1++ miles away from the Mendenhall visitor center. This bus can take close to an hour, and only runs once/hour. Cheap though. :)

I took the Glacier shuttle out and back (white bus). It picked us up promptly, right on schedule for the return. Still seemed inexpensive to me compared to what most excursions run in Alaska! $8 each way or $16 round trip.

There is quite a bit of walking you can do by Mendenhall visitor center - I walked out to the waterfall & back. I don't think I would have wanted to do it or had time if I had to walk a mile from where the bus let off. As it was, I was pressed for time.

Archived