Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Lovely Piccdies T. You do look statesmanlike. I wish you've become a Governor so I could badger you regularly on clemency cases. I seem to spend to much time writing to state Governors. :rolleyes:

I once begged Jeb for some clemency (actually more than once ....) and got a standard reply "Thank you for your kind words of support. These words really touch me and it is only through these kinds words etc ....." So I sent a completely different note ..... a touch more humour ... and got the same note. People responsible for clemency appeals shouldn't be political appointees. Anyway ... I mustn't start up on that one.

Deepest apologies about the Methuselah Faux pas. Quite right - I was confused. You're obviously many months younger than M - recent picky of him enclosed!

anthony-hopkins-as-methuselah.jpg

My wifey is 36 hours younger than me so I these things can be close!

That food looks good. I think Spin is going to like all that green on that Enchiladas del Mar. Which reminds me, on the subject of green stuff, I must tell you about the tubes they put down me when I had my gall bladder removed. Just saying. :eek:

Jeff, third date and so soon - only to say I would never call anyone gauche- I maybe from convict stock but my upbringing has been better than that. Apology accepted. You never know, there maybe a fourth date!

Excellent news. I think I've been called a goulash before ... by a hungry looking Hungarian from Hungary who seemed angry and looked like he planned to eat me ... and I have also been told by French girl that my picture needed a touch more gouache. But not gauche before. I'll ad it to me list. Anyway, I always presume that anything I don't understand these days is a term of endearment because I tend to recognise all the other stuff! That note however was kind because it said I was well behaved in other areas. As teacher would say ... "I am improving"! Onwards and upwards. :)

I do so like a girl from convict stock. They don't mind doing a runner with me after an expensive meal. In fact they are normally out first! Out of interest do you know much about your ancestors and where they came from and what they were sent for. I find tracking back fascinating.

Jeff

Terry, lucky you with your forthcoming cruise to the Amazon from Barbados.

We have booked a holiday there also and I just wanted to advise you of Chikungunya Virus in Barbados and Grenadines incase you didn't know to take precautions. This is caused by Mosquitoes that bite also during the day and if repellent isn't used the virus can be debilitating.

I know you have had your Yellow Fever shots and are well prepared for the Amazon. Have a fab trip and look forward to your posts!

Lovely Piccdies T. You do look statesmanlike. I wish you've become a Governor so I could badger you regularly on clemency cases. I seem to spend to much time writing to state Governors. :rolleyes: I once begged Jeb for some clemency (actually more than once ....) and got a standard reply "Thank you for your kind words of support. These words really touch me and it is only through these kinds words etc ....." So I sent a completely different note ..... a touch more humour ... and got the same note. People responsible for clemency appeals shouldn't be political appointees. Anyway ... I mustn't start up on that one. Deepest apologies about the Methuselah Faux pas. Quite right - I was confused. You're obviously many months younger than M - recent picky of him enclosed! Jeff

Appreciate the kind "clarification" by Jeff that I am "many months younger than" this famed Methuselah guy. Also, nice to know that I look "statesmanlike". That's a high-class way of saying that I am older. But, fortunately not being 969-years-old. Don't worry!! I've been called much worse than just "old" or Methuselah-like. It has been fun playing with you a little on this tiny Methuselah Faux pas.

No, I won't be Ohio's next Governor. But, I've known him since 1977 and will be tomorrow night at the Statehouse for his private, midnight Oath of Office ceremony for a new four-year term. Over the years, I have worked with many different prosecutors, judges, justices, etc. Capital punishment is a complex, challenging issue/question. If we're sailing on a ship together at a future date, we can discuss it in depth over drinks and dinner. It takes lots of time to review the many legal layers and human aspects to this issue. Not a simple or easy question with this type of a serious public policy.

BUT, back to food . . . . See below from my travels and meeting this morning. Don't worry, I did not eat all of the gravy and biscuits. Nor, do I consume this kind of breakfast that often. Don't want to become too, too big like the Goodyear Blimp!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,727 views for this posting.

From a Central-Ohio based dining place, that is located over many states, here is their Bob Evans "Sunrise Skillet". It's an open-faced omelet filled with their crumbled sausage and home fries, topped with country gravy and shredded cheddar cheese. Served with two buttermilk biscuits. But, to be sure and safe, I had them bring some extra sausage gravy on the side. Never can risk not having enough of the "good stuff"!:

Jan15AA1_zpse988d8bd.jpg

Needed to fill up with gasoline after my travels. Fortunately had a 30 cents off credit from my grocery buys. The net price? You can see it at $1.69.9 per gallon. Better pricing than we would find in Europe, Australia, etc., right?:

Jan15AA2_zps3bb053a7.jpg

Terry, lucky you with your forthcoming cruise to the Amazon from Barbados. We have booked a holiday there also and I just wanted to advise you of Chikungunya Virus in Barbados and Grenadines incase you didn't know to take precautions. This is caused by Mosquitoes that bite also during the day and if repellent isn't used the virus can be debilitating. I know you have had your Yellow Fever shots and are well prepared for the Amazon. Have a fab trip and look forward to your posts!

Appreciate the kind wishes and smarts tips from rojo2012. YES, one does need to be very careful in using lots of Deet, etc., to protect on these potential dangers, bugs, etc. Going out this afternoon to one of the two REI stores here in Columbus to look at their "gear" for being light-weight, but protective while in places such as the Amazon River. Don't want to have too much exposed skin in these regions. Got to get the rights pants, shirts, etc.

Two weeks from today at this exact time, we will be starting to fly over the Caribbean getting closer to Barbados and boarding the Silver Cloud. Will look forward to lots of comments, suggestions and questions as I do this live/blog. Will be able to share our experiences on the Cloud, how the levels of Silversea quality/service are doing, etc.

Did a cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. We are now at 191,914 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry .... yes just as we Brits call it ... "banter"! :D

You enjoy that dinner. Lot's of piccies please!

I do understand how the legal issues are complex but I guess most people could agree on some very basic justice principles. To be clear, I am undecided about capital punishment for complex personal reasons. It must however be supported by a fair system of justice. It is that part of the capital punishment issue that energises me.

Amongst those I'd say that equal access to justice for all irrespective of colour and wealth is a minimum requirement. Also the complete detachment of law enforcement, the judiciary and for example clemency reviews from politics. At it's crispest asking a Governor who is seeking re-election to consider only justice rather than self-interest seems to me to be an unacceptable conflict of interest process. Many Governors have never and will never consider clemency for reasons that have nothing to do with the content of the appeal but is to do with their perception of their electorate. That cannot be just under any circumstances.

Also having a system of justice which is seemingly completely process rather than justice led. Difficult to explain to many who haven't tried to understand it, but when comparing the UK system with the US system, the British system seems more concerned with justice and the avoidance of injustice whereas the American system seems more concerned at ensuring that the process has been duly followed rather than correcting injustice.

A reasonable example to illustrate the differences would be the way that the two countries have seem to have handled looking back at earlier cases where there might have been miscarriages of justice with respect to the use of DNA technology. The issue revolves around the request for a retrial or appeal based on "new evidence". In the UK we accept that the DNA is the new evidence even though the original fluids or blood might be the same, evidence, whereas in US it appears that the paralysis and refusal for such consideration is often the fear of having previous decisions questioned (political repercussion) and this makes the asking for appeal which should be almost automatic or retrial much more problematic and hit and miss. Life or death in effect is a lottery from state to state.

The excuse constantly given is that "the evidence" eg the blood is unchanged. This would not be a viable excuse in the UK. I am, regularly receiving requests for donations from Reprieve to fund DNA analysis for people (invariably blacks) who are on death row and cannot afford this for themselves. I attended the Houses of Parliament a while ago for a function to celebrate with the released man himself who we had helped obtain a release. His innocence was only proved as a result of British cash for the DNA work - for an innocent black man on death row who would inevitably been still there - or worst - without such help.

What prevented him from being helped by the processes that should have helped him is politicisation of the legal process all through to a slant toward process rather than justice review and an unfair balance of access to help for people without the necessary resources. It is these issues together that mitigate against justice. This perception isn't improved by the percentage of poor blacks that find themselves on death row compared to whites who appear to do better with a better defence. It seems to me that at this the most basic displays of a fair society that there will always be a "race issue" in America if these very basic injustices aren't addressed and corrected. America should be the beacon and example for justice (with colour blindness) for the whole world. Well that is the perception of this Brit anyway ..... but what do I know .... :D

I hope you will agree that innocent Americans citizens wrongly accused of whatever colour or resources should receive better than this and not need voluntary contributions from foreigners to avoid being wrongly executed. It isn't what I think you or I expect of your good country sir! Excuse the passion ..... I hope we can still be friends. and I hope it possible not to generate too much heat ..... :)

Today has been some ribs, Spanish omelette, onions rings and home made coleslaw.

991FD2C8-E25F-42D6-8189-8DC9EDF8B314.jpg

AA05445B-6052-441F-8E8B-BE29089744F2.jpg

988519B6-8198-4646-BE97-EFFD603799E1.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Jeff, I'm afraid I don't know my family history other than I'm 7th generation Australian. Dad's family were from Wales and there is talk of a smuggler on the Cornish coast in Mum's family. My sister has tried to find out more but she keeps running into dead ends. She did find out that some of Dad's side went to NZ so there may be some Kiwi in me. All quite ordinary I think.

Chris and I went out to dinner to celebrate another 29th birthday for her tonight. We had a delicious tasting menu paired with nice wines, at a restaurant we hadn't tried yet. Here are some pictures, though looking at them makes me wonder how we ate all of this...

We started with a little antipasto - baby arugula salad with vinaigrette, olives, cappicola with red wine balsamic reduction on top, and a nice chunk of buffalo mozzarella accompanied by tomato jam. Scrumptious, and paired with a glass of prosecco:

20150110_181655.jpg

Next course was scallops - pan-seared, not overcooked, and topped with sweet corn puree. This was served over a little lobster risotto and spinach. The wine pairing was a Sauvignon blanc:

20150110_183346.jpg

Then we had a delicious piece of cod - lightly seared then baked. It was so tender and juicy that I couldn't believe it. That was served with a bit of roasted cauliflower that was smoky and nicely browned, and a "spaghetti pancake" which was pasta and cheese, fried in a pancake until nicely browned. There was a tasty creamy sauce on top and a dab of prosciutto for good measure. The seared smoky brown flavors all went nicely with a lightly oaked Chardonnay:

20150110_185452.jpg

The fourth course was duck breast, beautifully cooked medium-rare, with crispy skin to die for. That was served with sweet potato chunks with a maple glaze, and the duck had a delicious cherry sauce. In case that wasn't enough, there was a little piece of foie gras! The cherry sauce brought out excellent flavors from the accompanying Pinot Noir, and the acidity in the wine cut through the fat in the duck skin. Heavenly! Chris couldn't finish her last piece so I had to help out...

20150110_191606.jpg

Last course was thin slices of nice rare steak, with a slice of Gorgonzola cheese on top. There was a delicious gravy, polenta, and some spinach sautéed with garlic to accompany the steak. The wine was a Malbec which had an odd flavor that reminded me of graphite - kind of dusty. Once I had a bite of steak with the Gorgonzola, though, I understood why they had chosen that wine - that flavor in the wine was a perfect complement to the mold in the cheese. Yum!

20150110_194415.jpg

Lastly, we tried to have some dessert - wild-berry gelato, almond panna cotta, and a flourless chocolate cake with cherries. Neither of us could finish, and thankfully there was no more wine with this course. Otherwise we'd still be sitting there trying to figure out how to walk!

20150110_201407.jpg

What a great dinner! Now to starve ourselves tomorrow to make up for it...

Lovely food JP ... very elegant. Must admit I love capicola , parma, Serrano or Iberico without anything stronger than a screw of black pepper. Did the balsamic overpower a bit ... even though a small amount? Vingegar on that lovely subtle thin piece of meat seems to be a bit of cheffiness? What do you think? I love the look of that second course. It sounds and looks really yummy.

Jeff, I'm afraid I don't know my family history other than I'm 7th generation Australian. Dad's family were from Wales and there is talk of a smuggler on the Cornish coast in Mum's family. My sister has tried to find out more but she keeps running into dead ends. She did find out that some of Dad's side went to NZ so there may be some Kiwi in me. All quite ordinary I think.

Hi!

If you're interested in tracking back yourself you may be interested in Find My Past where you can get a short term sub to and track back your family. You can also get a short-term sub to the The British Library's National Newspaper Archive.

My wife's family were all convinced that they were off Spanish stock (the name was a Spanish name hence the presumption) - and had all always believed this ... but now we have the web and everything is explorable. I had to sit my wife down and break it to her that in fact she was Argentinian and I was able to show her actual pictures of her grandfather and track his progress from a small village up river from Buenos Aires to become a merchant seaman and ended up working in the kitchens in London before disappearing. He was an attractive man who looks really similar to my much missed mother-in-law and sounds like a bit of a lothario. Mum-in-law would have loved this story. There was a full record of his travels and ships as a seaman and it seemed almost random that he settled in Britain. She is now of course outraged by the invasion by The Nasty British of the Malvinas ...... I jest! :D

I managed to track much of my own family back to small villages in what was Russia and now Belarus and have even seen pictures of graves of people that are "probably" related from a couple of hundred years ago. Seeing old black and white pictures of daily life in those shtetls is really interesting.

You may find a few hours at this fascinating.

Today is a curry day!

:)

Pizza night tonight simple thin Neapolitan mozzarella cheese with salami and a plain Marinara for wifey .. with some lovely Paulaner and a lovely, lovely wifey.

UKCruiseJeff Hi Terry .... yes just as we Brits call it ... "banter"! I do understand how the legal issues are complex but I guess most people could agree on some very basic justice principles. To be clear' date=' I am undecided about capital punishment for complex personal reasons. It must however be supported by a fair system of justice. [b']It is that part of the capital punishment issue that energises me.[/b] Amongst those I'd say that equal access to justice for all irrespective of colour and wealth is a minimum requirement. Also the complete detachment of law enforcement, the judiciary and for example clemency reviews from politics. I hope you will agree that innocent Americans citizens wrongly accused of whatever colour or resources should receive better than this and not need voluntary contributions from foreigners to avoid being wrongly executed.

Appreciate all of the wonderful ribs, pizza pictures from Jeff, plus JP's big dining-out treats, etc. Especially liked the photo series where Jeff started with the ribs BEFORE, and then finished with the resulting pile of bones. Cute and fun visual ending!!

On the complex capital punishment issue, it is super good to know that Jeff has strong interest and passion. BUT, as I noted earlier, there are many key details and challenges on these issues. A number of years back, after doing a WOSU-TV show with the head of the Ohio ACLU, I had a very informative discussion on these questions. His work and his organization opposition to capital punishment are very well known. One key point I learned from him that afternoon, however, is that the laws in the various states are vastly different across America. In Ohio, the legal experience requirements for the court-appointed lawyers to handle these cases is very higher. Much different than in a state such as Texas. Also, different states have varied rules for how the many layers of appeals reviews are done, etc.

People on both sides of this and other emotional issues do not always give a full picture of with ALL of the facts and law on BOTH sides. Why? Fund-raising is part of the game with many political issues!! They need to fire up and get involvement from their potential contributors and supporters. That's why we would need to discuss the many layers of complexity on this and other issues in person, on a nice sea day over drinks and good food. These Cruise Critic forums are not always the best way to communicate such various facts and factors.

"Justice" is an interesting question/challenge!! We are all for "it", but cannot always agree for how it gets done, what are the measurements on accomplishing such goals, etc. I have also done focus groups in the past for anti-capital punishment people and was surprised by the results. I know lots on both sides for this issue. Not as simple or easy as it seems on the surface.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 168,468 views. Appreciate the interest and follow-up questions/comments!!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Thanks Terry,

A touch perplexed at your comments because none of my comments related at all to the rights and wrongs of capital punishment.

Perhaps - and I may be wrong - but I think you presumed without reading my comments that because wifey and support Reprieve that we have a stated opposition to capital punishment. I haven't said that, because I am not 100% clear about it, but think I am slightly more pro than against, but I am very much opposed to it where I see a system that fails to provide adequate protection from innocent people being wrongly executed for crimes they may not have committed or where the terrible process is wholly inhumane. That dishonours all of us. Those issues to me are not complicated at all. One either feels it isn't important or it is. And if one feels it is important then under the obligations that we all have to each other we must do what we can not to look the other way and be quiet.

My comments related solely to ensuring that people faced with a capital offence have access to adequate justice and are not killed by the state because of either their colour or their level of poverty. I also feel that as the natural leader of the free world, then the American way should be a beacon of justice to set an example to those that America would like to see emulate the high standard it claims for itself and expects of others. That is all! Do you not agree? Or perhaps you consider that acceptable levels of justice is provided. The arguments for and against capital punishment are those on which people often disagree, but ai would have thought that the provision of genuine conflict of interest free justice to all is something on which we might agree :)

Anyway, although I do genuinely believe the topic so important it is worth causing irritation about, I think i agree that a topic is often amongst those that perhaps should be left away from the cooler, so I'll do the decent thing and change and respect the change of subject. :D

We have just discovered "The Good Wife" on Netflix and been working our way through them and we watch a couple or three every night starting at midnight and was quite surprised to see that last nights edition had 14 producers named. that sounds interesting. :eek:

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
spelling

For me, now back to travel "issues" for our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo back-to-back sailing on the Silver Cloud. Yesterday's "adventure" was going to REI or Recreational Equipment, Inc. They are an interesting national cooperative retailer focused on clothing and equipment to use in a wide range of extreme and more normal outdoor activities, sports, etc. They have two locations here in Columbus, plus a wide-ranging website. Visited all three as a part of our efforts, preparations and research.

We walked in, their staff was very helpful in answering our questions for the unique needs when going to super hot and humid areas such as the Amazon River basin with the added worries on bugs, bites, etc. First key lesson? Avoid cotton!! Need good "wicking". Long sleeves and pant legs can be important . . . with the right materials!! Also learned more about the various Deet-based products, applying them, etc. Great learning experiences!!

And, YES, had to buy some new clothing to take care of these needs and challenges. Some items were on sale, others not. Good news? Rang up more airline frequent flyer points by spending and spending.

Coming home in our ravine area, we ran into real wildlife. See below. There is a herd of eleven deer that had been inside of our fenced backyard area a few days ago. We wondered where they were roaming around on this Saturday. Then, wow, here they were right in front our home as we returned from REI, shopping, etc. I grabbed my iPhone and got a few visuals. Hard for them finding food with the snow and super cold weather. But, they are working at it.

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,810 views for this posting

From the REI website, here is an interesting graphic on their travel offerings, including in South America. We are not using them for our upcoming trip, but we did visit their store yesterday for tips, the right clothing to wear in these exotic areas, etc. Wear that "wicks" is THE key point! Interesting graphic fro their website that I thought was worth sharing here.:

Jan15AA3_zpsc1d38299.jpg

It was late in the day as we were returning home and I only had my iPhone handy. But this one picture gives a little sample of the herd of deer in the ravine nearby to our home late on Saturday afternoon. The location is in the middle of this city of 800,000+ people, but we have lots of deer and wildlife here.:

Jan15AA4_zpse2ba73e2.jpg

Anyway, although I do genuinely believe the topic so important it is worth causing irritation about, I think i agree that a topic is often amongst those that perhaps should be left away from the cooler, so I'll do the decent thing and change and respect the change of subject. :D

:

Such issues should be kept away from the cooler. One was always taught never to discuss, politics, religion, race or sex in public whatever personal opinions are, it's very uncomfortable chatter and can indeed cause much distress and irritation purely because of one's personal views on such topics. I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree at times and respect the privacy of others. I personally wouldn't tolerate such discussion on board ship either if l found myself in earshot of such.

Sophia :)

Thanks Terry, A touch perplexed at your comments because none of my comments related at all to the rights and wrongs of capital punishment. Perhaps - and I may be wrong - but I think you presumed without reading my comments that because wifey and support Reprieve that we have a stated opposition to capital punishment. I haven't said that, because I am not 100% clear about it, but think I am slightly more pro than against, but I am very much opposed to it where I see a system that fails to provide adequate protection from innocent people being wrongly executed for crimes they may not have committed or where the terrible process is wholly inhumane. That dishonours all of us. Those issues to me are not complicated at all. One either feels it isn't important or it is. And if one feels it is important then under the obligations that we all have to each other we must do what we can not to look the other way and be quiet.

Appreciate Jeff's very thoughtful and added details about this complex issue of capital punishment. Yes, I did some presuming. Agree 100% that WE, both, have strong common ground concurred views in the iron-clad belief about the value and need for "due process". That's a vital and totally important aspect with this issue.

From knowing well over the years the State Senator and trial attorney who wrote a good bit of our state's current laws in this area, there were many protections and requirements put into these state statutes here. That law drafter later went on our state's Supreme Court where he sits now. As I mentioned earlier, I have known and worked with many top prosecutors, judges, justices, etc., in our state. Different states in America, however, have other laws, protections, processes, etc. Some of their laws, in my view, are not as good as for how it is done here. Glad we have "clarified" and closed the circle better on this important issue. My view is that you need BOTH good laws and good people to provide vital protections for both the crime victims and anyone accused. I am not an attorney, but have worked with lots of them over the years. Learned so much and get to do some legal-related work where I fully appreciate/practice those unique aspects on "due process". Cannot have "justice" without such due process.

Concur, Jeff, on your viewpoint of "I think i agree that a topic is often amongst those that perhaps should be left away from the cooler, so I'll do the decent thing and change and respect the change of subject."

More great food pictures and details from Jeff. Keep up the great sharing.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, you might look at this earlier posting that is now at 45,822 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Such issues should be kept away from the cooler. One was always taught never to discuss, politics, religion, race or sex in public whatever personal opinions are, it's very uncomfortable chatter and can indeed cause much distress and irritation purely because of one's personal views on such topics. I'm afraid we have to agree to disagree at times and respect the privacy of others. I personally wouldn't tolerate such discussion on board ship either if l found myself in earshot of such.

Totally agree, Sophia, and would also include one's net worth or salary. Some of these topics do come up when having a cocktail on board, and we always try to change the subject

LL:)

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned how good that Paulaner looks ....

Yes, Munich beer is excellent!! Here are a few of my visual highlights from there, being beer-related, etc., in that great city. Love getting pictures of various beers from around the world during our travels.

In Munich, we learned from our guide that the Monks in the old days made the beer during the late summer for "nutritional" value to have its benefits for during the winters, etc. Drinking your "meals" was vital in those days. And, today, too??!!

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 26,078 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From Munich, Germany, here are just three, beer-related visuals highlights from my photo archive. First in the main street of this famed town with a little arrangement with the beer, pretzels, etc., that I did while visiting. Next my wife is shown in this 2002 picture at their beer/dining outdoor location while awaiting our meal. Finally, inside the large beer-hall area at the Hofbrauhaus with the entertainment being presented there. Fun seeing the ladies there carry, at one time, ten different one-litre glasses full of beer with their two hands!!:

Jan15AA5_zpsdcd2afc7.jpg

Jan15AA6_zpsc8e1a1fa.jpg

Jan15AA7_zps083e382b.jpg

Terry,

A lovely picture of wifey there ..... and I know that place. A few yards up from Rathaus. Hope you saw the clock at 11:00 do it's cabaret. i can see dressed up and got up on the stage in your lederhosen gear! I've cleaned my glasses but are you drinking beer or blowing flugelhorn? :D

JP, must admit I like refreshing Pilsner or similars or real English beer. Also naturlub in Austria.

In fact I've made some space in the garage following the new central heating boiler, and plan to start brewing again in a few weeks. There's a micro brewery out there which I started off enthusiastically and then got bored and gave up. I think there are six conditioning barrels out there. So I have threatened wifey with a couple of deck chairs and a headache. Two different beers, a Gold and a Bitter and a cider to start. I use to make some wine, but to be honest wine made at home is rarely as good as bought, but bought real beer is rarely as good as home brewed.

Another new foody obsession beginning.

So have you decided on your next European trip?

:)

Totally agree, Sophia, and would also include one's net worth or salary. Some of these topics do come up when having a cocktail on board, and we always try to change the subject

LL:)

Thank you LL...I fail to see what interests folk so much at times....when it really doesn't matter...notwithstanding none of their business.

I feel very uncomfortable discussing such matters.

Just had a lovely chat with a dear friend from Glasgow who's invited me up for a long weekend to enjoy the culture of the city along with some fine dining.

Hope all is well with you....

Yes - Augustinerkeller in Munich. Had a few meals there on our first visit. Yummy! Prefer the atmosphere of the Biergartens but sometimes it's nice to have your food brought to you. Visited Hofbrauhaus also, of course! I like the extra flavor in the Dunkelsweissbier but will drink a plain one when it's really hot out.

Jeff - a Rhone River cruise at the end of March this year. Spending a day in Paris first before taking the train to Lyon to board. We cruise to Avignon and fly home from Marseille. Quick trip; only a week.

Will likely be back in Germany in August or September picking up a new Audi in Ingolstadt. Will drive around for a week then come home and wait for it to catch up with us.

Not as much time for bigger trips to Europe this year because we're spending 2+ weeks in Africa this June. Unfortunately we don't have unlimited time off... We have more vacation than many people we know, and still it's a challenge to fit in all the places we want to visit.

Terry, A lovely picture of wifey there ..... and I know that place. A few yards up from Rathaus. Hope you saw the clock at 11:00 do it's cabaret. i can see dressed up and got up on the stage in your lederhosen gear! I've cleaned my glasses but are you drinking beer or blowing flugelhorn? :D JP, must admit I like refreshing Pilsner or similars or real English beer.

Good luck for Sophia in your travels to Glasgow. Understand that town has improved lots since our one and only visit there in 1977.

BEER BATTLES?: Sounds like fun to debate that question! Personally, I much prefer lighter beers. Not big on the dark, heavy and/or bitter stuff. Good luck to Jeff with your home-brew beer ventures. Yes, saw that amazing 11 am Munich City Hall "show". Great fun and a wonderful location to walk, soak up that charming city, etc. Might pull more such Munich pictures in the future at the Cooler.

THANKS for the nice comments on my wife's picture! For this trip, I need to get her better prepare to be a "star", smile, act as if she is enjoying having her picture taken, etc. She gets a little tired of all of my attention to the pictures, etc. Feels, at times, like a "widow" to the camera's attention-getting hook that requires my attention and interest.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 91,810 views for this posting.

At lunch, enjoying Tallinn’s local beer. This is the most popular beer in Estonia and the oldest operating brewery. Their slogan: "it's about the taste". We agree!!!:

1A-TallinLocalBeer.jpg

This is Troy Beer, a local favorite in Istanbul. Efes is another popular local beer.:

IstTroyBeer.jpg

Here is the pouring of an Efes beer in Istanbul:

IstPourBeer.jpg

Mythos is the favorite local beer to enjoy while dining outdoors in Athens at the Plaka:

MythosBeer.jpg

Yes - Augustinerkeller in Munich. Had a few meals there on our first visit. Yummy! Prefer the atmosphere of the Biergartens but sometimes it's nice to have your food brought to you.

Jeff - a Rhone River cruise at the end of March this year. Spending a day in Paris first before taking the train to Lyon to board. We cruise to Avignon and fly home from Marseille. Quick trip; only a week.

Will likely be back in Germany in August or September picking up a new Audi in Ingolstadt. Will drive around for a week then come home and wait for it to catch up with us.

Not as much time for bigger trips to Europe this year because we're spending 2+ weeks in Africa this June. Unfortunately we don't have unlimited time off... We have more vacation than many people we know, and still it's a challenge to fit in all the places we want to visit.

Wow, JP!! Great upcoming trips for a "light" year that only includes southern France, Germany and Africa. Not much time off for vacations??

Hopefully you can get a little extra time to see and do Provence when your river boat arrives in Avignon. Below are a couple of my pictures (from 1997) to help build the excitement for being there in this historic, charming and scenic region.

Don't drink too much beer before driving your new Audi!

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 22,529 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Here are two views in Avignon in connection with the Papal Palace that is the most historic part of this central town in Provence. Considered one of the largest and most important medieval Gothic buildings in Europe, the palais des Papes has been classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, The Palais construction began in AD 1252 and became the residence of the Popes in 1309, when Pope Clement V faced the violent chaos in Rome. This started a period known as the Avignon Papacy. The site, on the northern edge of Avignon, overlooks the Rhône. Under three Popes, the building was expanded to form what is now known as the Palais Neuf. The interiors were decorated with frescos, tapestries, paintings, sculptures and wooden ceilings during the peak periods. The popes departed Avignon in 1377 to Rome, prompting the Papal Schism during which two different "antipopes" made Avignon their home until 1403. Not simple history here!:

AvignonGothicBuildings.jpg

ProvenceAvignonPopePalace.jpg

Good luck for Sophia in your travels to Glasgow. Understand that town has improved lots since our one and only visit there in 1977.

Thanks Terry, I'm sure it will be a lovely experience being shown around by my Glaswegian friend who was born and raised in the city. One always thought of Edinburgh as the main event but having been there l have to confess l wasn't at all impressed, and the tourist areas of Loch Ness, Fort William and Oban left a lot to be desired, albeit my trip some years ago to the Isle Of Mull was quite beautiful.

You must be very excited now about your upcoming cruise, you'll im sure have wonderful voyage.