Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Water I'm afraid. I do this regularly when the scales are against me ... and it does no harm!

Jeff

How long does the water and no carb diet last for you Jeff? It must be a bit trying since you so enjoy pizza and wine. I think I would have trouble being true to that regimen. My will power only goes so far. :)

How long does the water and no carb diet last for you Jeff? It must be a bit trying since you so enjoy pizza and wine. I think I would have trouble being true to that regimen. My will power only goes so far. :)

Different things for different people. I weigh myself every day. If after a few days it's up by say 4 pound or so off of the weight I feel comfortable at then I cut alcohol and carbs out for just two or three days until it's back. I think as you get older weight creeps and if you don't keep on top of it, it' almost impossible to get back. Normally ie every normal day, I eat well but I eat very little. So I have found that for me it's carbs that adds the weight, and as I'm having a large drop of Torres every night, then it's all the other booze that I cut. Everything then settles back.

Sometimes I take a two-weeker and I will stop for two weeks. I know it sounds dumb, but I enjoy my booze and I do this a bit to reassure myself that I'm not dependant.

We have a few weeks of excesses in front of us and a lot of walking so a bit of effort now means debauchery and exercise without guilt and hopefully not to many repercussions.

That's my excuse anyway.

:)

Jeff

Sounds like it works for you Jeff! It's very true about the weight creep. Good that you have found a workable solution. A couple of days at it wouldn't be too onerous either. It's a good tip!

Sounds like it works for you Jeff! It's very true about the weight creep. Good that you have found a workable solution. A couple of days at it wouldn't be too onerous either. It's a good tip!

Well you'd expect me to do the opposite to what we are told is the sensible thing to do! :D

The general advice is to not weigh yourself every day. My approach basically is the opposite and that if it's up for a day or two ... no problem. Day three .... different. It's much easier to keep on top of your wight but only if you keep on top of it.

I see people as they get older not walking well and that I find scary. And a bit of extra baggage impacts walking and stops you.

Jeff

For me a weeks indulgence equals a month of bread and water.

Having just indulged myself (shamelessly) for five weeks (two on the Explorer) I came home 3.5kg heavier and facing five months harsh deprivation for my sins.

I might add for SS tragics that the Explorer was in fine fettle and the hotel crew were right on top of their game. I did tend to fall out of bed a bit , but a rolled up towel fixed that.

I have had a theory about eating that doesn't sit well with our parents generation.

I think you needn't eat everything on the plate. You can eat fries every day of the week if you want. It is the simple disciplain of eating just a few. It is the first few fries that give 90% of the joy .... from then on it's eating. So I stop when I have had enough. I cannot remember when I finished a meal. Most here are fortunate enough to not need to eat in case we don't eat tommorow. So eat a bit less and walk a bit more.

My downfall is always potato ... so I really restrict it ... and alcohol.

Jeff

Intellect must rule.. as long as it is present..(mine seems to come and go) ..

We are all hard wired to put down stores for a rainy day and it takes no small amount of self rule to override that.

I have to say that I really like that philosophy Jeff. I have weighed myself every day since I was in my early 20s. I tend to ignore advice aimed at the masses because I know my body and how it works better than any weight loss guru. I tend to take the same approach as you do but of late, that is becoming more of a crap shoot. Things that worked for me just last year are not as effective this year. The difference between 62 and 63? Seriously? But I soldier on! :)

Well, I guess all this eating philosophy will be soak-tested over the next three weeks or so.

Hopefully, Chris our trusty limo driver will be here in just under 12 hours to take us to T5 for some injection of proper food in Singapore. This time I want to learn some new cuisines including myanmar ... I'm really looking forward to it. Burmese food looks interesting. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to engage in conversation with a myanmese cook.

I've just checked FlightRadar, and tonights flight is over Uzbekistan, so this is roughly where we should be - travel god willing - tommorow. Hopefully absolutely full of Laurent Perrier Grand Bycicle.

And everything fitted in the cases. That's a result!

Jeff

Have an awesome trip Jeff! And if you learn some neat recipes, maybe pass them on? :)

Thanks so much.

I learn something every time .... almost every meal. I'm no good at recipes as such but I know I'll learn a lot. Did you catch my recent picture of my char siu? I think about that char siu quite often. When you eat out it is always done to a profit. But when you do it at home you can do it to it's best.

We seem to be spending twice as much time in Singapore as we do at Seaside.

Wifey is looking very tired so I guess I must let her have some sleep soon as I know she is intent to run amok soon.

Jeff

Well, I guess all this eating philosophy will be soak-tested over the next three weeks or so.

Hopefully, Chris our trusty limo driver will be here in just under 12 hours to take us to T5 for some injection of proper food in Singapore. This time I want to learn some new cuisines including myanmar ... I'm really looking forward to it. Burmese food looks interesting. I guess I'm going to have to learn how to engage in conversation with a myanmese cook.

I've just checked FlightRadar, and tonights flight is over Uzbekistan, so this is roughly where we should be - travel god willing - tommorow. Hopefully absolutely full of Laurent Perrier Grand Bycicle.

And everything fitted in the cases. That's a result!

Jeff

Have a wonderful time Mr and Mrs Jeff....enjoy that seat on BA...;) relax and have fun....l know you will of course!

S :)

:) Thanks

83909616-C3A5-4475-9ED4-69C1D55041F9.jpg

Great visual of the two packed suitcases. Have a safe, fun trip. Look forward to lots of updates and reports. PLUS, many pictures??

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 23,706 views for these postings.

Oh Jeff - I was in the middle of cooking our (admittedly gourmet) sausages for a sausage sandwich lunch when I saw your menus! Jealousy reigns.

LL

Hope you have a wonderful time, anyway, probably returning with some new Asian ideas for meals.

Thanks to all ...

The food always sounds better than it is. This was the pork ... the sauce was good a csort of soy with chilli.

D098AC13-F2CE-4717-AF55-A194CC73758F.jpg

It's odd having breakfast at around 3pm local time ..... so this was brekkis on the plane just before we landed

P1020827.jpg

followed by satay at Satay street an hour od so ago. 40 mixed meat sticks and 5 large prawns and a jug of Tiger. Pictures not up to Terry standard ......

P1020833.jpg

P1020831.jpg

DSC02587.jpg

DSC02585.jpg