Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

The 1A and 1K thing is purely because they are only open to Prem, Gold and GGL until T-24 on BA and people presume that this will bestow wonderfulness and prestige by association with the seat. DYKWIA! It is generally an awful seat ... although on the 744 because of the shape you can see forwards ie where you are going. But with that comes that bleedin' wardrobe and no overhead locker and an unusable buddy seat. On the A388 you are essential almost out of the cabin and on the 777 it is the noisiest seats in the cabin.

By the way ... it is MAGGI .... :D

I do so hope you enjoy Singapore ....

Lol @ Maggi. Sorry, I'd have been searching Singapore for Maria ! Information overload I'm afraid , I've been gifted with doing all the legwork for this trip and I'm exhausted !

Re F, I'm afraid we're J only at this stage in our lives, although I do remember F very well from my days nose to the grindstone with said airline :D That was when it was decently run though :mad:

Time to start serious Avios collection. Jeff I remember a while back you posted to a helpful blog that would give good tips on how to get started with Avios and then how to maximise points spend when some have been accumulated Do you still have a link?

Never understood why so many passengers used to want 1A and 1K, they seemed to think the numbers were a status symbol but the seats themselves are not good IMO. Close to the wine display though :eek: 2A, K much better.

The 4 of us are very tempted by that Sojourn cruise at Christmas. Stand by for an update after we return from this trip, Vealmagedoon notwithstanding :D

Nigella,

I have encouraged many others to book the Cape Town Sojourn.

I have everything booked Ship,Flights,Hotel.

I am staying for three nights before at

http://www.12apostleshotel.com

Five go to Satay Street.:D

Nigella,

I have encouraged many others to book the Cape Town Sojourn.

I have everything booked Ship,Flights,Hotel.

I am staying for three nights before at

www.12apostleshotel.com

Five go to Satay Street.:D

Will you be wearing your thermals as posted elsewhere by Jeff :D

Five go to Satay Street :eek:

Lol @ Maggi. Sorry, I'd have been searching Singapore for Maria ! Information overload I'm afraid , I've been gifted with doing all the legwork for this trip and I'm exhausted !

Re F, I'm afraid we're J only at this stage in our lives, although I do remember F very well from my days nose to the grindstone with said airline :D That was when it was decently run though :mad:

Time to start serious Avios collection. Jeff I remember a while back you posted to a helpful blog that would give good tips on how to get started with Avios and then how to maximise points spend when some have been accumulated Do you still have a link?

http://www.headforpoints.com is a good place to start for avios collection.

RP

Hotel looks beautiful too. Lovely location. Have you stayed there previously?

No,but I know the owners well.they have a good Hotel in London, The Chesterfield.they also have The Rubens and The Milestone.

Friends are also staying there,we did a lot of research regarding the Hotel and all decided on this one.

I have spoken to the manager and several staff members and they are very efficient and lovely to talk with.

I like to book by telephone as you can get what you want rather than relying on an online booking which is rather impersonal.

Our active "friends" here had all the posts and threads including Wes's deleted as being "off topic" .. which is a shame. Many people found them helpful and illuminating. As rosepark suggested, Rob's blogg is a great starting point but also head over to the BA forum on FlyerTalk. Some effort will reward itself by changing travel absolutely. Then you can ask anything there or here and I will be please to help if I can. It is life-changing stuff if you are a traveller. :)

Coincidentally, I have just completed my annual check of my BA account. Much of my long-haul is redemption and some of itI have to pay for

which hurts when it is F and most of short-haul is cash. However this year has been illuminating.

I have redeemed 719,443 miles in 12 months.

BUT .... 504,740 has been returned to us by BA under "service recovery" credits ... the majority without any complaint by me ie automaticv credits by in-flight CSD or CSM activity. That means that apart from service charges and tax charges 70% of my redemptions have been completely free. The rest of the miles used were also free. So they have been 100% free excepting taxes and charges. Quite remarkable.

Jeff

The 1A and 1K thing is purely because they are only open to Prem, Gold and GGL until T-24 on BA and people presume that this will bestow wonderfulness and prestige by association with the seat. DYKWIA! It is generally an awful seat ... although on the 744 because of the shape you can see forwards ie where you are going. But with that comes that bleedin' wardrobe and no overhead locker and an unusable buddy seat. On the A388 you are essential almost out of the cabin and on the 777 it is the noisiest seats in the cabin.

By the way ... it is MAGGI .... :D

I do so hope you enjoy Singapore ....

Not sure how the layout is in BA 747's, but my wife told me to book 1A/1K for our United flight home to the US from our cruise this spring because we can see each other clearly and neither of us has a person next to them.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Not sure how the layout is in BA 747's, but my wife told me to book 1A/1K for our United flight home to the US from our cruise this spring because we can see each other clearly and neither of us has a person next to them.

Mark, is it UA GlobalFirst that you're flying? If its GlobalFirst it's a very similar layout to BA First. I'd choose row 2 every time. There again after spending 7 consecutive days plus with my husband, we have no desire to see each other clearly ;):eek:

back shortly, work is calling :(

edited to add, I see Jeff beat me to it, cross posted. back soon for more SIN convo :)

Edited by Nigella

Mark, is it UA GlobalFirst that you're flying? If its GlobalFirst it's a very similar layout to BA First. I'd choose row 2 every time. There again after spending 7 consecutive days plus with my husband, we have no desire to see each other clearly ;):eek:

back shortly, work is calling :(

edited to add, I see Jeff beat me to it, cross posted. back soon for more SIN convo :)

In our case, it's 16 days of cruise, plus one day before/after in hotels. Maybe separate planes would be a better idea. :)

In our case, it's 16 days of cruise, plus one day before/after in hotels. Maybe separate planes would be a better idea. :)

Well ... our situation is somewhat worst. :p

Pretty much 40 years spending all day and every day together .... never really ever apart ...... the only time apart is every lunch time when the kitchen is mine and no one comes in! I've cooked lunch pretty much every day for 40 years except when we travel ... but even then I try and wheedle my way into a kitchen somehow so I can learn :D

Who needs the center seats!?

2K and 3K should be yourt first choice. 2K is the better of the two.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Well ... our situation is somewhat worst. :p

Pretty much 40 years spending all day and every day together .... never really ever apart ...... the only time apart is every lunch time when the kitchen is mine and no one comes in! I've cooked lunch pretty much every day for 40 years except when we travel ... but even then I try and wheedle my way into a kitchen somehow so I can learn :D

Who needs the center seats!?

2K and 3K should be yourt first choice. 2K is the better of the two.

:)

At heart, it's just your basic first world problem. She wants to be able to communicate with me without getting out of her seat, and also doesn't want to have anyone next to her.

2K is taken, I could switch to 3/4K, what don't you like about row 1?

At heart, it's just your basic first world problem. She wants to be able to communicate with me without getting out of her seat, and also doesn't want to have anyone next to her.

2K is taken, I could switch to 3/4K, what don't you like about row 1?

Re 1A and 1K. It is less room and for many claustrophobic, no overhead locker (you are supposed to use the wardrobe not the locker above 2k ...) a shared wardrobe ... if you are inlucky some idiot will be in and out of it throughout the flight and the buddy seat s even more cramped. Also the ida that you can chat to the peson in the other seat is fine in theory but it can irritate others in the cabin..

The best sit together row is 3E and 3F. Row 2 feels more exposed and row 4 can suffer galley noise. You also might check your proximity to bassinet and if you do need to call in ask if any babies are booked in.

How does that sound?

Not only is it 16 days cruise, 2 days hotel, from your date I'm thinking it's the transatlantic crossing, all those sea days, you'll defnitely need separate planes! :D

I do have a good view of Stonehenge from the sun room ...

[ATTACH]303046[/ATTACH]

Brilliant, you beat Jeff at his own game there ;)

It does look snowy where you are, no doubt looking forward to some great weather on the crossing.

Jeff, I've showed my husband the pics of Marie's ;) food and he approves.

He's a Frenchie, what sort of self respecting frog is a fussy eater? mostly they wolf down weird items like tail of bat and eye of lizard, have you seen (and smelt) what they put in andouillette ?? :eek:

He's also reading this over my shoulder and I'm expecting some Gallic drama any minute ;)

note to self, must stop calling Maggi Marie or I'll forget when we're in Singapore and never find her.