Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Great Piccy .... very arty!

I'm really looking forward to my new Sony to be released in the UK. I had to return the last one. Only a couple of weeks!

Jeff

Your new Sony what? Is it a camera? Oh I hope so! More piccys would be awesome! Did your deliveries come today as expected?

Cool pic! It is arty. The strong pattern in the foreground, and the religious symbol in the back, soft and out of focus but recognizable. What does it symbolize...? So many possible interpretations!

Thanks JP! La Recoleta Cemetery was an amazing place! Like a city of crypts. Some had wrought iron gates in front of them and others were as intricately built as stately homes. Eva Peron is buried there and her crypt has fresh flowers every day.

Yum... Pork bellies! I'm growing one of my own with all this traveling, good eating, etc... :p

It was way too hot to run today so we lazed in the pool after work. The pool was just over 30 degrees (87F); even then it felt a little cool.

Tonight's dinner was as planned - a cold farro salad using the grains I'd cooked last night. I adapted a recipe that we like for salad with farro and Italian sausage.

The farro formed the base of the salad with lemon, feta, and olive oil dressing. Chopped cucumbers and tomatoes rounded things out. For an extra touch, I added some fresh chopped mint.

Grilled a skewer of shrimp with a simple coating of olive oil, garlic salt, lemon pepper, and a shake of smoked paprika. That went on top and took the place of sausage. The mint would not have worked with sausage but tasted great with the shrimp.

All plated over spring mix, with sliced avocado. It hit the spot on this very hot day! I wanted to serve it with a Mediterranean white like Assyrtiko, or something like Albarino, but we didn't have any so we settled for Pinot Grigio. Not too bad.

upload_-1.jpg

Mysty, I've been thinking about your picture. Does it symbolize that religion can shelter itself from some people? Do some find it inaccessible, or do they not see it clearly? Lots to think about here.

JP, your meal looks incredible! I can taste the melding of awesome flavours from your detailed description. So envious of your creativity!

You raise some interesting thoughts with your probing questions! Fascinating what a simple picture can conjure up. I think a lot of the interpretation will depend on personal background, biases, fears and beliefs and how comfortable people are in their own skins. I love when intellect plays with emotion! :)

And a lovely pic at that Jeff! :)

Thanks. It's just from the security webcam in our bedroom down at Seaside. So no real detail!

There is something of the 20's about the design of the cemetery gate. Sort of Arts and Crafts type we had in the UK.

I'm really pleased you're posting piccies because we have clearly uncovered a photographer with an eye. It's odd, because you sort of post a bit sort of timidly but photograph with real panache and style and confidence. There is an interesting paradox there.

The Sony is the DRX100 iv to replace the one I had to send back. It's a decent pocket point and shoot.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks. It's just from the security webcam in our bedroom down at Seaside. So no real detail!

There is something of the 20's about the design of the cemetery gate. Sort of Arts and Crafts type we had in the UK.

I'm really pleased you're posting piccies because we have clearly uncovered a photographer with an eye. It's odd, because you sort of post a bit sort of timidly but photograph with real panache and style and confidence. There is an interesting paradox there.

The Sony is the DRX100 iv to replace the one I had to send back. It's a decent pocket point and shoot.

Jeff

Yes I am a paradox! Somehow having a camera between me and the world gives me a sense of freedom I don't feel when expressing myself with words. Photographs do not offend. Words do have the potential to do so.

Your new camera will be awesome. I had a look on the Sony site! I can't wait to see the peas sweating butter! :)

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement Jeff!

Yes I am a paradox! Somehow having a camera between me and the world gives me a sense of freedom I don't feel when expressing myself with words. Photographs do not offend. Words do have the potential to do so.

Your new camera will be awesome. I had a look on the Sony site! I can't wait to see the peas sweating butter! :)

Thanks for your kind words and encouragement Jeff!

Hi M,

In a way it's a shame you see it as encouragement. All .... or most of us ... have different talents. The sad fact is I might do a decent char siu ... but I'll probably never take a picture in the way you do, except by accident.

It's now nearly 2am here, and I have to allow the slumbering beauty to have her sleep. She had a long day in London. The last Torres has been drunk, and it's time for the stairs!

Nighty night all .... and M. I do appreciate your piccies. Post more. Some more monochromes I reckon ..... I think you would be good at greys ...

Nighty night all!

Jeff

:)

Jeff

Chris' pocket-sized point-and-shoot Sony has been amazing. She took it to Africa for our safari as her only camera. Got some pictures that were better than those with my Nikon DSLR.

Jeff, moonlight pictures can be so interesting. I think back to one I snapped on the beach in Hawaii 10 years ago. Still remember that night and the picture. Hard to get the exposure right and hold the camera still enough but when it works...

Mysty, you do take strong, bold pictures. We spent some time in Recoletta a few years back and were amazed. Haven't seen anything like it before, or since.

You shouldn't have to worry about offending anyone here (said by the one who worried about the wording of his religion comment for several hours before posting it...) :o

Thanks so much JP! I laughed out loud on your comment about worrying about the wording of your religion comment. So I think you understand where I am coming from even if there should be no real "fear". And thanks for your kind comment on my pictures. I am starting to feel more comfortable here. Most of the community seems kind and welcoming!

Chris' pocket-sized point-and-shoot Sony has been amazing. She took it to Africa for our safari as her only camera. Got some pictures that were better than those with my Nikon DSLR.

Jeff, moonlight pictures can be so interesting. I think back to one I snapped on the beach in Hawaii 10 years ago. Still remember that night and the picture. Hard to get the exposure right and hold the camera still enough but when it works...

Mysty, you do take strong, bold pictures. We spent some time in Recoletta a few years back and were amazed. Haven't seen anything like it before, or since.

You shouldn't have to worry about offending anyone here (said by the one who worried about the wording of his religion comment for several hours before posting it...) :o

Good Morning JP,

I had the first version of the DX100 and it was an extrordinary camera. It seemed to know what you were trying to do. For years I'd made the error in my case of buying rather heavy and epxensive SLR camera systems .... including Sony, but I found that if the camera isn't in the pocket I simply didn't use it. And I also got wifey an HD camcorder. And going for a long walk with a shoulder full of gear just doesn't work.

I dropped my first one on a trip to Singapore and it never fully recovered, and I managed to get my money back a couple of months ago even though it was well over a couple of years old. So that cash is going towards the version iv which is great. I feel guilty about spending so much on a point and shoot but you only get the chance of recording memories once and one day all these memories will be even more important.

I appreciate the last comment. :D I think if people just learned some lattitude and margins of error ... well .. we all know what we mean. :)

Your food pictures are really good.

Jeff

Thanks so much JP! I laughed out loud on your comment about worrying about the wording of your religion comment. So I think you understand where I am coming from even if there should be no real "fear". And thanks for your kind comment on my pictures. I am starting to feel more comfortable here. Most of the community seems kind and welcoming!

Good morning ... a community is what a community makes it to be!

Thinking about your pictures, particularly the gate one as an example, I genuinely think you would take some exceptional monochromes ie with moody blacks shadows and greys and I hope you take more and post more. Monochrome seems to have the ability to create atmosphere that often fails with colour. It is odd that when it comes to colour less often means more. The gate picture was of commercial poster quality in terms of composition in my view.

Jeff

We are!

Love catching up with my fellow Coolers (I'm always here but don't post much, as I've often said, but I do enjoy visiting).

Karin

Karin,

We'd love to hear about Oz life ... there always seems to be something really interesting going on .... and I love listening to the humour on Oz radio.

Tell us all the mundane stuff yuou're doin' Karin!

Jeff

:)

Good morning ... a community is what a community makes it to be!

Thinking about your pictures, particularly the gate one as an example, I genuinely think you would take some exceptional monochromes ie with moody blacks shadows and greys and I hope you take more and post more. Monochrome seems to have the ability to create atmosphere that often fails with colour. It is odd that when it comes to colour less often means more. The gate picture was of commercial poster quality in terms of composition in my view.

Jeff

I don't want to monopolize the cooler! Thusly, I will post just a few more pics and then give it a rest. :)

I haven't attempted taking photos in a monochrome setting yet but I am curious now to see what results from that experiment.

Here are two photos taken on our trip to the province of Newfoundland on the east coast of Canada. Before the moratorium on cod fishing, Newfoundland was famous for its cod. Fogo Island, Newfoundland was devastated by the moratorium and is now getting its feet back under it as a beautiful tourist spot. The Fogo Island Inn is attracting many international visitors.

The first picture is the roof deck of the Fogo Island Inn located in Joe Batt's Arm on Fogo Island. The water in the background is the Atlantic Ocean.

72FS0P1ELmwI-rHYKWfHpEecUjBqaWvDqpXyhbExxAo=w900-h675-no

The second picture is a small fishing village called Deep Bay on Fogo Island.

JRNXp7FvADQLIE1ggBdi9ba5VCOYTO6g23VOB8kiD6M=w900-h675-no