Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

And you are right Jeff! I do feel comfortable here. This is the first forum I have ever joined or posted in. I am a little self-conscious about my posts and I did notice that the regulars just seemed to vanish. Myster directed me to the old "netiquette" that was used when usernet first came into being. He said that you might be familiar with it since you were involved in the early days of the internet. Anyway, Myster said that forums are much like the wild, wild west with few common courtesies observed or expected. Not something I am used to but I am a relatively fast learner. :)

Your hubby has it right.

One of the best things that sadly never made it to the internet but was used on intranets ie within organisation messaging systems was something called the "unsend" commad. Basically if you sent a coworker an email and then regreted it, as long as it hadn't been openened it could be "unsent" ie snatched back from the other persons in tray. That of course is and was perfectly feasible if all messaging remains on one organisations system but can't sadly work on the internet. This was great when sending ill-considered notes to the boss after a night out ...

Many coolers and others will I'm sure remember Compuserve, which I think was the real first useful internet tool particularly for travellers.

I remember going to one family run restaurant in Rome with wifey in the early Compuserve days and the place was full of Americans and the owner utterly perplexed. I explained that their place had just appeared on the internet in Compuserve as a place to visit but in those days you had to explain what the internet and world wide web was which was a challenge to an utterly perplexed Italian pensioner.

So far as netiquette is concerned your hubby is right, I do remember it well. However I think the emphasis with the benefit of hindshight was wrong. I think it should have concentrated more in how you read, judge and respond rather than just post. The fact that you feel nervy about accidently offending or crossing lines when you never have done says it should be recalibrated to coach peoiple that read what you post rather than make it "poor you" depriving yourslef of unfettered access. I think it perfectly right to point out if someone has crossed a line commonly accepted as being self-indulgently rude to an individual, but I think as long as one gives peoiple the benefiit of the doubt and collectively sanction rude people by ignoring them and not validating them then they get the message and b&gg&r off. If we don't do these things the web will lose it's usefulness to most and a great opportunity lost. Personally although I enjoyed being part of the team in "the "blue" corporation that rolled out business personal computers across Europe and further I miss the days of what we called "old iron" ie the big beefy mainframe computers that no one really understood except our systems and customer engineers as us salesman being utterly clueless. Salesman were essentially business consultants that undersood what computers could do and produced finacial business cases for customers and made lots of promises and systems engineers made them do it with software, and customer engineers repaired them when there was a mechanical failure. It was a great time seeing how these monsters changed organisations and I remember the very big machines were plumbed into mains water to keep them cool. Lot's of flashing lights on the boxes to keep the operator occupied. A system that we sold in those days for £30m to £40m would be dwarfed by the power of a cheap give away mobile phone. Some progress.

I digress. :)

Today was a fish and chip shop followed by some juicy water melon.

Jeff

53E82CD7-EA7D-48D8-B688-12F9DDB4114F.jpg

9839B307-69E2-4DBE-88D9-0BE3F162A2E4.jpg

Are you calling me names now .....:o

Only in the nicest way! :)

And here is another picture for you. It was taken in 2008 at a lamp shop in the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul when we were on an Eastern Med cruise. Slightly out of focus bit I like the effect.

qn4Dw4mnjxXWn28opAyWo9VndyKxVJY8l44MfdFa61s=w1000-h565-no

M! There 's something wrong with my eyes ... is that a vit fuzzy! :eek:

Lovely place .... wifey and I snuck in with the staff before it was opened. the gate keeper shouted at us but we just walked quickly in and got some lovely shots of the place empty.

Did you buy anything and haggle?

Did you see the Whirling Dervish?

Did you go on the ferries?

:)

Jeff

M! There 's something wrong with my eyes ... is that a vit fuzzy! :eek:

Lovely place .... wifey and I snuck in with the staff before it was opened. the gate keeper shouted at us but we just walked quickly in and got some lovely shots of the place empty.

Did you buy anything and haggle?

Did you see the Whirling Dervish?

Did you go on the ferries?

:)

Jeff

Jeff, it's not your eyes! I did mention that it was slightly out of focus! :) But I like it anyway! We did not buy anything. We did not go on the ferries. I don't remember seeing the Whirling Dervish. Seems we missed a lot! We'll just have to go back! We loved Turkey!

Jeff, it's not your eyes! I did mention that it was slightly out of focus! But I like it anyway! We did not buy anything. We did not go on the ferries. I don't remember seeing the Whirling Dervish. Seems we missed a lot! We'll just have to go back! We loved Turkey!

This is a piccy of the bazzar when empty and as you missed them the Whirling Dervish at full whirl ... and for soem reason I do not understand wifey took me to see where the enuchs live.

And other stuff ...

P1000656_zps74f8341b.jpg

P1000756.jpg

P1000770.jpg

P1000737.jpg

P1000834.jpg

P1000841.jpg

Lovely pictures Jeff! The Whirling Dervish are amazing! I would be face-planting if I attempted to spin like that! Your night in with sandwiches looked laid back and comfy! And your Silversea Ted seems to be well-read! You travel in great company! Beautiful sea shot as well. And maybe your wife was giving you a subtle threat with the eunuch abode. :)

Good Evening All.....

Mysty, glad you feel comfy on the cooler and don't worry about us lazy lurkers, we always chirp up eventually!

Love the new canopy Jeffers....it looks so inviting and cozy.

Great photos from everyone....one day l will master posting some....

It's been a very busy week here again....new shed was put up yesterday and I've finally got lights and heating into the summerhouse so l can use it during the cooler months.

The eight months of making my mark on the place is now coming to an end...I'll be more than ready for the upcoming cruise in October!

Sophia :)

Istanbul is definitely an interesting spot. When we were there we got caught in a rain storm and sought shelter with others under a store canopy. Almost immediately, an enterprising young chap showed up with umbrellas for sale. The man next to us under the canopy (a native Turk) bought one and opened it and the umbrella broke. He demanded his money back and the young vendor obliged and ran off. The man then picked up the broken umbrella and used it to scurry off. :) Street theatre!

Street theatre... Such fun to be in the right place at the right time!

From our trip to Germany 2 years ago, I am reminded of this funny story from a night in Füssen. We had a great outdoor seat in a restaurant, on a pedestrian only public square, and we were enjoying some delicious food. But the theatre was even more amusing!

"A gentleman driving a pedal-powered gelato cart named Mr. Beppo made laps through the pedestrian zone while we ate. Every time he passed by, our waitress would go chat with him and bring him a beer, and some of the diners at our restaurant would get up and buy gelato. Eventually he parked in the middle of the square and tried to settle in - but a tractor trailer came rumbling through to make a delivery, which made for a tight fit, especially since Mr. Beppo was blocking his way! Mr. Beppo placated the tractor trailer driver with a gelato, and then proceeded to steal the wife from the couple seated next to us! He seated her next to him on the gelato cart, and off they went for a ride around the block, while her poor husband was left all alone to cry in his beer!"

Here is Mr. Beppo, blocking the truck, and causing all sorts of chaos:

2013_06%252520Germany-195.jpg

That's a funny story JP! It seems that most of my "funny" experiences seem to be mostly France based ..... the French are unique ......

Tonight I made her some Loch Fyne Kippers, which are quite wonderful. They are smoked in The Old Smokehouse, in Campbeltown in Argyle Scotland over oak chips. They were lovely with a couple of slices of bread and butter (cut on the bias in the posh style) with a mug of tea!

Jeff

C8E81753-B862-4F70-A32D-9B13BC66B815.jpg

John M. talking about his friendship with Cilla ... and his shock for those interested. nIt's a bit sad to read this. I have no first hand knowledge of Cilla, but many fond memories of John .... and some pretty funny memories of our antics when we were at Reading Evening Post together. I hope he moves on, he is a genuinely lovely chap.

Jeff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3189753/My-dear-Cilla-soulmate-love-day-die-raw-emotional-interview-tycoon-Sir-John-Madejski-talks-time-special-12-year-relationship.html

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

John M. talking about his friendship with Cilla ... and his shock for those interested. nIt's a bit sad to read this. I have no first hand knowledge of Cilla, but many fond memories of John .... and some pretty funny memories of our antics when we were at Reading Evening Post together. I hope he moves on, he is a genuinely lovely chap.

Jeff

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3189753/My-dear-Cilla-soulmate-love-day-die-raw-emotional-interview-tycoon-Sir-John-Madejski-talks-time-special-12-year-relationship.html

That was beautiful - sad but beautiful! Love and friendship like that happens too rarely! She will obviously be missed! That is the kind of legacy I would like to leave - to be missed.

She will obviously be missed! That is the kind of legacy I would like to leave - to be missed.

Not too soon, though! We'd myss you!

Took Chris out to dinner tonight to a local place just across the river from our house. Started off with some sparkling rosé (believe it or not, a sparkling Zwiegelt from Austria!) and then had a few small plates - marinated salmon with braised fennel and crème fraiche, and I had braised pork cheeks with sautéed salsify and herbed aioli.

Next Chris had a delicious dish of sautéed wild mushrooms along with a glass of Gamay noir, and I had whole wheat pasta with clams and a glass of Rueda / Verdejo.

Since our dishes were small we saved room for dessert - a chocolate brownie with a glass of Carignane from Langue d'oc (me) and a glass of Catalonian red blend - an interesting mix of Grenache/Syrah (Rhone) and Cab Sauv/Merlot (Bordeaux). Quite a geographically challenged glass of wine; two totally different French regions' grapes, all grown in Spain! Very tasty, though.

Home relaxing. Time for the hot tub! Have to choose a fresh bottle... :)

Edited by jpalbny

Jeff, agree about those silly French people... But they are always very kind to me when I tell them that JP stands for Jean-Paul! And my terrible high school French helps with that as well. Please share some details!

Nice kippers! I hope that you organised something better than tea for an after dinner drink... ;) I hope you appreciate my coercing the American spell-check to accept the "s" in the previous sentence!

Only 4 weeks until Germany! :D

You are so sweet JP! :). Your wife is a very lucky woman and I'm sure you feel you are the lucky one! So wonderful when love radiates from mere words in a posting! Your meal sounds wonderful! From your excellent play by play I am savouring the delights! Enjoy your evening! And you are one witty dude! Myss, indeed! :)

Good Morning all from a blisteringly hot Blighty!

Today a clock has appeared on the wall of our new Taverna ... or is it restaurant ... or is it wine bar ..... or is it all .......and surprisingly for me and my diy skills ... no blood was spilled!

Jeff

2449FD54-FB30-4D49-BBBA-DF1F438B8D62.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

That is an awesome clock and it's really quite perfect for your taverna/restaurant/wine bar! Is this your wife's excellent decor skill coming to the fore or did you show some of your design chops here? :) I will be scanning for reviews on urbanspoon and tripadvisor! :)