Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Shame we didn't post in the '60's you could have come and met them at one of their concerts. This was of course before email and twitters etc and some girls use to write to me old fashioned letters at the clubs and places I worked and a few girls came and met them when they were playing. I always use to reply to letters!

I worship BB King. I have too long fanaticised that I would go to his club, and he'd be sitting in a dark corner and I'd buy him a beer and we'd chat. He seems such a lovely gent. The desire to do that is overwhelming. Sad isn't it. Star struck! I think he is one of the few people I'd meet that would make me go all tongue tied. Did you get to meet him? Please don't say you did, I'd be overwhelmed with jealousy! :)

My youngest son is a talented guitarist, and whenever BB comes over I buy us all tickets and off we go to a concert together.

Ah ha...the 60's also hold great memories for me too....some of which are most probably best left in that era! :eek:

BB's club on Beale in Memphis is just as you would imagine....dark and dusky with the most wonderful blues being played.

That street is full of blues from morning to night and it's rather surreal at times...as was the Sun studio....almost haunting.

I didn't get to meet the great man in Memphis, also went to see him at the RAH two years ago when he jammed with Clapton and Richards.....wow!

Lets not start on Chuck Berry....he also one of my faves!

Not forgetting the one and only Etta James.....:)

Someone has been looking at my mp3 collection. :)

All this talk has once again bought back memories ...

My roady at the time ("Barry") was a childhood friend who volunteered to drive my van with all my stuff and set everything up, and on one of the first Quo dates, we were stunned to see how much kit they had. The next time, how much more. It was growing.

The whole of the stage was full from side to side and stage to eaves with amps. A real "wall of sound". I couldn't stand in front of it when they were playing. They were just starting to also take with them their own lighting and smoke and sound desks ... so they offered Barry a job to work for them and it would have changed his life. I think they only had two roadies then. He'd been brought up for the early part of his life in a childrens' home. He only told me later that they had offered him a job and out of misplaced loyalty to me he said "no". I always regretted it.

Off to make some popcorn and a few more Sopranos. :eek:

Jeff

If zi was in anything I'd be ahead of the game. It is such a luxry being idle. But being over idle is sometimes boring! Particularly Sundays.

:D

Great looking food today,your best for a long time the lamb looked just right

Was it cheese and tomato on the bread?

Brasserie Jeff,wine served by the half pint.

No reference to the height of the wine waiter:D

Edited by Mr Luxury

That looks absolutely delicious. What was on top of the bread (or it is a secret)?

Note: I love your posts but do not see them often as I "live" on the Regent board;)

It's bruschetta. It's funny how often a bit part of a meal becomes the star. We both enjoyed the bruschetta and could have just had that with the wine and the chat. i think I'm an earth girl.

I had some sour dough a day past. Some lovely sweet vine tomatoes just at that point they go sweet and a bit soft and are normally binned.

Grilled the olive-oil smeared ciabatta on the lava grill and then blitzed the tomato with unfiltered olive oil and some sugar and salt and a little garlic and painted the grilled bread and then re-grilled. With retrospect ... some anchovies would have improved. Underneath crunchy and oily with a soft topping.

Don't be a stranger, trivialise here.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Great looking food today,your best for a long time the lamb looked just right

Was it cheese and tomato on the bread?

Brasserie Jeff,wine served by the half pint.

No reference to the height of the wine waiter:D

That is very kind.

It was followed by my favourite Torres Brandy and a taste of Cuba in the shape of a Corona.

Days are wonderful when they are pointless.

Jeff,you're wasted as a chef,you should be in advertising.

I was in Classified Advertising working for (Lord) Roy Thomson at Thomson Regional Newspapers and The Times for a year before they found out about what a waste of space I was and I was fired.

I nearly went into business with a bloke Called John Madejski when we were mates together at the Classified department at Reading .... but I think he went on to do other things after I was fired. Never heard what happened to him ...;)

That is very kind.

It was followed by my favourite Torres Brandy and a taste of Cuba in the shape of a Corona.

Days are wonderful when they are pointless.

Jeff,a perfect day.

Torres brandy, you'll be drinking Metaxa five star next.:)

There is something about drinking a brandy that is a bit different,I can't quite put my finger on it but I am sure you know what I mean.

Life's not all Louis XIII

I think it the food that dictates.

I am awaiting the arrival of Julie and Keith (Frantic36) early tomorrow morning at Heathrow.

As you know we have a lot organised for my birthday and a few surprises that I am sure you will read about.

Can't spill any beans here.

Are you home yet Jeff?

I was in Classified Advertising working for (Lord) Roy Thomson at Thomson Regional Newspapers and The Times for a year before they found out about what a waste of space I was and I was fired.

I nearly went into business with a bloke Called John Madejski when we were mates together at the Classified department at Reading .... but I think he went on to do other things after I was fired. Never heard what happened to him ...;)

I know JM

He is driven around in a blue stretch Rolls,JM1 I think

I have seen him squire Cilla Black around town,when Dale Winton is busy:D

Jeff,a perfect day.

Torres brandy, you'll be drinking Metaxa five star next.:)

There is something about drinking a brandy that is a bit different,I can't quite put my finger on it but I am sure you know what I mean.

Life's not all Louis XIII

I think it the food that dictates.

I am awaiting the arrival of Julie and Keith (Frantic36) early tomorrow morning at Heathrow.

As you know we have a lot organised for my birthday and a few surprises that I am sure you will read about.

Can't spill any beans here.

Are you home yet Jeff?

Been home since Thursday morning ...

I think one is either a cognac person or an armagnac person. And armagnac people are also calvados people. I don't think cognac people drink much calvados. I am more partial to Keo brandy than that flash Mataxa stuff. i guess it's a matter of refinement or being earthy and basic and unrefined ... like me!

When I spent some time in Cyprus, I'd beg the staff of the hotels to find me some mountain brewed zivania. It would always come back in various bottles ie lemonade or tizer or something. You have to drink the stuff the people drink to understand and have affinity with the people. Few people in France drink VSOP cognac do they ...

I know JM

He is driven around in a blue stretch Rolls,JM1 I think

I have seen him squire Cilla Black around town,when Dale Winton is busy:D

Lux,

JM hasn't been close to Cilla Black for along time has he.;) he has the big place and a flat at "the ground" on the top floor of the hotel.

JM was the only person that would talk to me and befriended me when I arrived at Reading because I was from "head office".

He had a large under-heated Victorian house in London Road in those days, and once when I went back for some wine, he had a large water bed on the floor in the middle of what was supposed to be the dining room. Very strange.

He bought a small one man band quick print business in Reading which he tried to keep afloat and one day we were chatting about how we could feed it. We also wanted to find a way of financing our evening drinking, So we devised a cunning plan of how to pay for our drinking. We started a guide called "Pubs along the M4" which he printed in his quick print shop.

What we did was in the evening we'd go to all the pubs we could find between Windsor past Reading and sell them advertising in the guide. But here was the cunning bit. They also bought the guides as well. So they paid for the adverts and paid for the books to put on the bar. They were both the advertisers and the purchasers of the guides which they then tried to resell. Perfick. We spent a lot of time drinking through that idea. Once we sold them their advertising space, we then asked them how many guides they wanted to buy. Obviously we would write a review beside their advert. Free drinks and food and being paid. A cunning plan Baldrick.

I have so many JM stories ...

:);)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Been home since Thursday morning ...

I think one is either a cognac person or an armagnac person. And armagnac people are also calvados people. I don't think cognac people drink much calvados. I am more partial to Keo brandy than that flash Mataxa stuff. i guess it's a matter of refinement or being earthy and basic and unrefined ... like me!

When I spent some time in Cyprus, I'd beg the staff of the hotels to find me some mountain brewed zivania. It would always come back in various bottles ie lemonade or tizer or something. You have to drink the stuff the people drink to understand and have affinity with the people. Few people in France drink VSOP cognac do they ...

Yes,I get the affinity with the people thing and what you drink with the local food and the local people go together at the time and the place.

I always say drink retsina in Greece with the food and it's great but drink it in the UK and it tastes like yacht varnish

Lux,

JM hasn't been close to Cilla Black for along time has he.;) he has the big place and a flat at "the ground" on the top floor of the hotel.

JM was the only person that would talk to me and befriended me when I arrived at Reading because I was from "head office".

He had a large under-heated Victorian house in London Road in those days, and once when I went back for some wine, he had a large water bed on the floor in the middle of what was supposed to be the dining room. Very strange.

He bought a small one man band quick print business in Reading which he tried to keep afloat and one day we were chatting about how we could feed it. We also wanted to find a way of financing our evening drinking, So we devised a cunning plan of how to pay for our drinking. We started a guide called "Pubs along the M4" which he printed in his quick print shop.

What we did was in the evening we'd go to all the pubs we could find between Windsor past Reading and sell them advertising in the guide. But here was the cunning bit. They also bought the guides as well. So they paid for the adverts and paid for the books to put on the bar. They were both the advertisers and the purchasers of the guides which they then tried to resell. Perfick. We spent a lot of time drinking through that idea. Once we sold teh, space, we asked them how ,any guides they wanted to buy. A cunning plan Baldrick,

I have so many JM stories ...

:);)

Yes,I don't think Cilla has been in his company for a while now.

Love the fund my drinking story.

It's bruschetta. It's funny how often a bit part of a meal becomes the star. We both enjoyed the bruschetta and could have just had that with the wine and the chat. i think I'm an earth girl.

I had some sour dough a day past. Some lovely sweet vine tomatoes just at that point they go sweet and a bit soft and are normally binned.

Grilled the olive-oil smeared ciabatta on the lava grill and then blitzed the tomato with unfiltered olive oil and some sugar and salt and a little garlic and painted the grilled bread and then re-grilled. With retrospect ... some anchovies would have improved. Underneath crunchy and oily with a soft topping.

Don't be a stranger, trivialise here.

Thank you so much for answering my question. Will definitely try it. I do drop by the Silversea thread but need to look at this one more often -- sometimes it is much more interesting than the rest of the threads;)

May I contribute a quick cheap dish - probably most will already know it - of chicken thighs, bone in and skin on, marinated for a few hours in the fridge in greek yogurt with a teaspoonful of either harissa paste or thai curry paste and lemon juice then cooked skin side up in a fairly hot over for about 45 mins. I think thighs bone in are much more tender than breasts. (No innuendo please).

May I contribute a quick cheap dish - probably most will already know it - of chicken thighs, bone in and skin on, marinated for a few hours in the fridge in greek yogurt with a teaspoonful of either harissa paste or thai curry paste and lemon juice then cooked skin side up in a fairly hot over for about 45 mins. I think thighs bone in are much more tender than breasts. (No innuendo please).

That sounds lovely ... tandoori style. The yogurt always softens.