A quick drink question

Lovely other

When we go to all inclusive resorts we take a insulated cup and get them filled with cocktail for by the pool. My question is, if we made drinks in the cups in our room could we then take them poolside, or would this be a problem ?

It would be against the rules only if the liquor you make them with was smuggled on board rather than purchased from HAL. ;)

I believe that the alcohol purchased for your stateroom is for stateroom use only.
I believe that's only true for wine brought on board. If you pre-order wine, or buy a bottle once on board, you are free to take that to the MDR or other public areas with no corkage. I don't see why liquor purchased from HAL would have a different rule.

Personally, I would have no qualms about mixing my own drinks from HAL-stock liquor and taking them poolside. The chances of being questioned about what was in the cups would be extremely slim anyway. :)

That is never the way I interpreted the rules, but then again I could be very wrong. Smuggling is never the right thing to do. But I thought the liquor purchased for the stateroom was to be consumed there and no where else. At least, that is the only place I have ever consumed it.....whether it is wine or liquor. If I was at the pool, I bought a beverage there from the bar.

Maybe the OP should ask onboard to make sure it is okay?? :confused:

Well it would be just champagne and peach juice, both of which I can bring on board within their rules I think.
Well, that would be against the rules, because champagne and wine brought on board is for in-cabin consumption only ... unless you pay a corkage on it.

But, in reality, the chance of anyone questioning you are approximately zero. ;)

We are rule followers........

If the rule says No, we don't do it. :shrug:

Okay, but what is the rule about liquor that from HAL? (If that was what the OP was intending to do, not mix drinks with wine brought aboard.)

Maybe I'm confused but the way I read the OP's question and further comments they're saying they want to bring their own champagne on the ship and make their own drinks in their cabin and then carry the drinks around? OK....now my understanding is they'll be OK bringing the champagne on the ship with them in an unlimited amount since their cruise is this year....got that. What I don't think you're supposed to do is then walk around the ship with said champagne drink. ????

This is where I got it from.....the brochure: (please tell me if I am wrong!)

Can I Bring Alcoholic Beverages Onboard?

Current Policy effective through sailings departing before January 31, 2014:

Except for wine and champagne, guests may not bring hard alcohol on board for private consumption. Hard alcohol purchased on board in the duty free shops or in port will be collected, stored for safekeeping and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the voyage.

Guests can bring wine and/or champagne on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption. Wine and/or champagne brought on board cannot be consumed in any public venue. If a guest is drinking a beverage carried on board and in a public venue, they will be asked to return it to their stateroom.

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages.* A 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added.

Here is what it says next to the whisky I ordered for the stateroom on HAL's website:Whiskey: Canadian Club

Delivered to your stateroom on embarkation day for in-stateroom consumption only. A 15% service charge is included in the pr... More Details

Doesn't this mean that the liquor ordered for your stateroom must be used in the stateroom? :confused: Or is this rule pretty flexible? Long time cruisers with HAL probably know how loosely this can be interpreted.

Perhaps I have misunderstood what was being asked as well. You can bring a drink from your room with you as you roam around the ship and nobody should question it. I always buy cans of Coke for our fridge in the cabin as I prefer that in the morning and don't drink coffee. (I buy them on the ship and have them delivered to my cabin.) Nobody has ever asked or even looked at me funny whether I had the Coke in it's can or in a different container - usually one such as the OP is referring to as I sip it very slowly and would like it to stay cold, if I bring it with me around the ship.

Doesn't this mean that the liquor ordered for your stateroom must be used in the stateroom? :confused: Or is this rule pretty flexible? Long time cruisers with HAL probably know how loosely this can be interpreted.

About as loosely enforced as the formal night guidelines :rolleyes:

Room Service offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages.* A 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added.
Okay - I'm wrong - sorry. :o :o

Well, that would be against the rules, because champagne and wine brought on board is for in-cabin consumption only ... unless you pay a corkage on it.

But, in reality, the chance of anyone questioning you are approximately zero. ;)

Okay, but what is the rule about liquor that from HAL? (If that was what the OP was intending to do, not mix drinks with wine brought aboard.)

I'll wait for an expert authority to tell me. :)

Maybe someone will contradict the quoted HAL rule. Never know if there is a contradiction someone can find and copy here. We've found HAL is not always consistent.

So..... whaddyathink?

Which rule should we think is THE rule? :D

No problem, I just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing........and I didn't want to steer the OP in the wrong direction either.

I wouldn't want to see anyone get embarrassed or caught breaking a hard and fast rule. I have only sailed on HAL once, so I am no expert on HAL. Carnival may look the other way, but I didn't know how strict HA's ships were on this........

Perhaps I have misunderstood what was being asked as well. You can bring a drink from your room with you as you roam around the ship and nobody should question it. I always buy cans of Coke for our fridge in the cabin as I prefer that in the morning and don't drink coffee. (I buy them on the ship and have them delivered to my cabin.) Nobody has ever asked or even looked at me funny whether I had the Coke in it's can or in a different container - usually one such as the OP is referring to as I sip it very slowly and would like it to stay cold, if I bring it with me around the ship.

I don't think they're worried about you carrying a Coke around the ship.

I wouldn't want to see anyone get embarrassed or caught breaking a hard and fast rule.

The chances of being caught are about zero. My DW often fills her insulated cup with iced tea and brings it all over the ship, and in 15 cruises no one has ever asked what she had in it.

Ok just to clear up any confusion, I know it's not strictly within the rules, so I guess I'm more concerned with are they likely to ask whats in the cup? I'd never sit and eat with the cup or anything, it's for my poolside pleasure ;)

Corkage is only paid in dining areas, bars and lounges. Wine brought on board is not supposed to be taken anywhere else outside your cabin.

This is what is presently on HAL's site:

Guests can bring wine and/or champagne on board at embarkation or purchased in port. A corkage fee of US$18.00 applies to wine and champagne brought to the shipboard restaurants or bars for consumption. Wine and/or champagne brought on board cannot be consumed in any public venue. If a guest is drinking a beverage carried on board and in a public venue, they will be asked to return it to their stateroom.

So basically it doesn't mention about any crew members checking what is in your cup, mug, glass, etc.

I wouldn't think they would ask either, but there is a first time for everything.......my luck, I would mix a drink in my cabin and carry it around and it would be ME that got embarrassed (that is my luck!):)!!

The luck of the Irish eh...:D

Archived