There is Something Very Wrong and I Don't Know What it Is........

sail7seas

We have always had a good time on our cruises and have had little to complain about. That being said. --- The bean counters seem to have the most sway in the home office. Cutting back seems to be the flavor of the day. Penny wise and pound foolish seems to rule. Having been a loyal HAL fan since 1986 I find this to be sad.

From reading many of the posts a common thread appears. People do not like to be slighted, taken for granted or disreguarded. I am one of them and still look back on a 2006 Westerdam cruise with hard feelings. If the HM is doing his job then many of these problems do not appear.

The best thing that they have done is the 4 star mariner program, which is very much appreciated and we are looking forward to the benefits of the 5 star program.

Willem points out that he does not miss the passengers. If you spend a little time around the front office you will see the abuse that the staff gets. Too many people can be total jerks.

Hopefully HAL will try to reestablish class and excellence as being the halmark of HAL.

I will give you an example of why many are unhappy. We just got off the phone with one or our TAs (in the past hour) fighting to get an upgrade, decent upsell, and/or OBC because HA dropped the price on our upcoming Veendam cruise a few days after final payment (we all know this is the norm in the industry). My TA, who represents a very high volume agency, was able to get us a slight upgrade (just outside to outside....but better location) which is fine. But then we start talking with the TA about HA and she tells us a story of an incensed customer who recently completed his third World Cruise on HA. A few days before the end of his cruise (over 100 days) he went to Guest Relations to ask them for help in printing out his airline boarding passes. This man is quite old and does not normally use the internet. The Guest Relations manager simply told him he would have to go to the computer room and purchase internet time. Guest Relations suggested that he would be able to get help from the Computer expert (who is not even a HA employee). Needless to say, this guy was not happy. He had just spent over $60,000 on his third world cruise they would not even give him a small favor (Guest Relations could have easily printed-out his boarding pass). At any rate, our TA said this guy called her yesterday and told her to book him on the Cunard for their World Cruise. HA apparently lost a good customer.....over a few internet minutes.

So the message to my post is that its sometimes the small things that count the most. HA used to excel at providing those small extras that added so much to a cruise. But now it seems like they have lost that special edge. It is indeed sad.

Hank

Oh my God. Enough to buy a condo in some places in CA they should have helped this man. Geeze.

Interesting thread. Mrs Banjo & I have been cruising since 1990 and we have witnessed many changes over the years. in 1990 we cruised on the Island Princess, a very large ship for its time, the passenger compliment was 690. Since then we have cruised on Silversea, Regent and HAL. I must say that our experience the last two years on all of the lines we cruise has gone down, or at least my perception of the quality & Service.

Mrs Banjo & I made a decision last year to not cruise for at least 2 years. WE hope that in that time, the industry will have shaken out & hopefully the quality & service will be better. If not, there are many ways to spend ones vacation dollars. We will find what works best for us! :(

I will give you an example of why many are unhappy. We just got off the phone with one or our TAs (in the past hour) fighting to get an upgrade, decent upsell, and/or OBC because HA dropped the price on our upcoming Veendam cruise a few days after final payment (we all know this is the norm in the industry). My TA, who represents a very high volume agency, was able to get us a slight upgrade (just outside to outside....but better location) which is fine. But then we start talking with the TA about HA and she tells us a story of an incensed customer who recently completed his third World Cruise on HA. A few days before the end of his cruise (over 100 days) he went to Guest Relations to ask them for help in printing out his airline boarding passes. This man is quite old and does not normally use the internet. The Guest Relations manager simply told him he would have to go to the computer room and purchase internet time. Guest Relations suggested that he would be able to get help from the Computer expert (who is not even a HA employee). Needless to say, this guy was not happy. He had just spent over $60,000 on his third world cruise they would not even give him a small favor (Guest Relations could have easily printed-out his boarding pass). At any rate, our TA said this guy called her yesterday and told her to book him on the Cunard for their World Cruise. HA apparently lost a good customer.....over a few internet minutes.

So the message to my post is that its sometimes the small things that count the most. HA used to excel at providing those small extras that added so much to a cruise. But now it seems like they have lost that special edge. It is indeed sad.

Hank

Wow, on any cruiseline that is utterly disgusting the way the WC passenger was treated. It shouldn't matter who it was though, anyone elderly and/or computer-challenged should have been assisted. Seriously, how much would it have cost the cruiseline to print a bit of paper? And how much has it cost them to lose this loyal customer?

Hank

Wow, that is disgraceful. What's wrong with these people. They're making a joke of the "Signature of Excellence" slogan. :eek: Quite honestly, even if it wasn't a World Cruise but a seven day cruise only, what would be wrong with helping out an elderly gentleman who doesn't use the Internet. Customer Service run amok.

Wow, that is disgraceful. What's wrong with these people. They're making a joke of the "Signature of Excellence" slogan. :eek: Quite honestly, even if it wasn't a World Cruise but a seven day cruise only, what would be wrong with helping out an elderly gentleman who doesn't use the Internet. Customer Service run amok.

What would be wrong with helping out anyone who is internet challenged, elderly or not?

The front desk did help this passenger, within the confines of their front desk job.

The staff directed the passenger to the internet help desk where HAL offers a special limited minutes package that allows passenger internet access at the end of the cruise, just for the very purpose of making ongoing departure arrangements.

Funny, often in the past we hear complaints about World Cruise passengers getting special privileges. Now we hear complaints they did not. :cool:

The front desk did help this passenger, within the confines of their front desk job.

The staff directed the passenger to the internet help desk where HAL offers a special limited minutes package that allows passenger internet access at the end of the cruise, just for the very purpose of making ongoing departure arrangements.

Funny, often in the past we hear complaints about World Cruise passengers getting special privileges. Now we hear complaints they did not. :cool:

As I said previously, using initiative and common sense is not their thing.

Hank

This is really sad Hank. I am sure I have seen things that say that they will print your boarding pass for a nominal fee.

This is just proof that small things bother people more than big things. Usually big things get fixed. small things don't.

I learned a long time ago that i can lose a customer over a little thing very quickly - they start to remember other things, and it builds up.

I can't blame this person one bit. That was important to him and he couldn't get help. To the front desk they gave the 'standard' answer.

so yes, he changed - he's not special - they won't help and I can't blame him.

A very sad story. World cruises are not cheap - and people should be given a bit of extra care - at least I would have thought so.

thanks for sharing.

Sure. :D:D

I have to agree on this one. That's a pretty simple thing to do - if the client says he doesn't use the computer then fine, redirect to the internet if you want but tell him that the internet manager will do it.

It's really sad to see a client go that's willing to pay these kinds of dollars because he/she couldn't get help with a simple thing.

Leaving the front desk to take care of a single passenger for a fairly time consuming task in preference to all the other passengers most likely waiting in line at the end of a trip was probably not common sense either. Another story that needs both sides presented.

Initiative was shown when the front desk knew there was a tech person available along with a limited internet time departure package that could specifically address this passenger's needs.

Leaving the front desk to take care of a single passenger for a fairly time consuming task in preference to all the other passengers most likely waiting in line at the end of a trip was probably not common sense either. Another story that needs both sides presented.

Initiative was shown when the front desk knew there was a tech person available along with a limited internet time departure package that could specifically address this passenger's needs.

Doesn't HAL offer a service of printing your boarding pass and sending your luggage to the airport for those disembarking in Ft Lauderdale?

Doesn't HAL offer a service of printing your boarding pass and sending your luggage to the airport for those disembarking in Ft Lauderdale?

Might depend if a passenger was using the HAL airport transfer program, or not. I don't know. We have usually used the HAL transfer program so there have been no worries at the end of the trip.

One would not have had to "leave the front desk" in order to assist this passenger.... a simple "give me the information and I will take care of it" would suffice....since I bet the front desk is also connected to the internet and has a printer! and not every request is an emergency ...I am sure this could have been handled within one hour. basic customer service in my book!

IMHO many responders on this board seem to relish being "devil's advoctes" and immediately become defensive as though that is their job....

The OP is relating his/her perception of an issue (positive or negtive) and unless a responder was right there the ensuing response is only hearsay. no more no less.

well they certainly have on our last 3 cruises that ended up in FLL. and also a 'print boarding pass for you". I think the fee was maybe $3.00 which I am sure anyone would pay if they didn't want the hassle of signing on, getting internet, etc.

Pretty sure I saw the same option in other ports where we disembarked or others did. remember it offered in Tilbury for example but after that my memory gets short.

One would not have had to "leave the front desk" in order to assist this passenger.... a simple "give me the information and I will take care of it" would suffice....since I bet the front desk is also connected to the internet and has a printer! and not every request is an emergency ...I am sure this could have been handled within one hour. basic customer service in my book!

IMHO many responders on this board seem to relish being "devil's advoctes" and immediately become defensive as though that is their job....

The OP is relating his/her perception of an issue (positive or negtive) and unless a responder was right there the ensuing response is only hearsay. no more no less.

Yes indeed, they do have connection to internet and they certainly have a printer. But of course that would have taken some initiative to think outside the box......

I wonder if it is not an example of understaffing.

When there are fewer people doing the same work, the job of finishing up a cruise is a very busy time at the front office. They have a mountain of work to do getting the final bills, debark envelopes and all the rest done on last day. There possibly were not enough people there to enable them to perform a small service for the guest. There are likely a number of such examples going on in all areas of the ship where there may be reduced crew/staff.

I wonder if it is not an example of understaffing.

When there are fewer people doing the same work, the job of finishing up a cruise is a very busy time at the front office. They have a mountain of work to do getting the final bills, debark envelopes and all the rest done on last, there possibly were not enough people there to enable them to perform a small service for the guest. There are likely a number of such examples going on in all areas of the ship where there may be reduced crew/staff.

I think onboard especially the lack of crew is apparent and the crew that is there, may smile at you, but often times don't seem happy, they seem stressed and pulled too far.

I was really upset that last cruise, a few issues came up (which rarely happens) and I requested to talk to the Customer Relations Manager (who had called earlier in the cruise saying please let him know if I needed anything) through the front desk. When I went to the front desk I was pleasant and not demanding at all, but I felt there were issues that needed to be communicated to the GRM. I never received a response.:mad:

I've got an idea. Let's start the following threads:

A. Old timers who can all get together and moan about how it used to be

B. HAL cheerleaders who see no wrong

C. People who pass on 3rd or 4th hand stories as gospel truth

D. The rest of us

We consider ourselves to be part of group "D" and do have a story that is in fact the "gospel truth" as we were there and the story was told directly to us. We had the opportunity on one cruise to have lunch with one of HAL's most famous hotel directors with years and years of service and extremely well respected by both staff and guests. The conversation turned to the demographics of HAL passengers and how HAL is viewed by people who have never cruised with them: that is the age of the passengers. This gentleman was very forthright and readily admitted that approximately 40% of HAL passengers should no longer be cruising because of some reason or other related to age. Maybe the gentleman everybody here seems to defend here was one of those! HAL simply can't be everything to everyone and one has to able to look after themselves if they are going to travel to any extent without relying on other people for everyday tasks.

Hank

This really saddens me to read this.

My husband also can not handle anything on the Internet -- it is all beyond him.

Anyone who clicks to see my posts will know my story. Dad and I travelled together for many years after Mom passed away. We did an Alaska Cruise with HAL and were hooked. Two more cruises with HAL. The last one had several "issues". We cruised with several other lines. Dad developed many health problems. I was his caregiver. He passed away. Our TA knew of his passing and asked if I wanted to travel again. I told her to send some info but wasn't sure. She sent info about a HAL trip where she was forming a group. It was a trip that Dad always wanted to take. I signed up, but got nervous after reading these boards because of the "HAL has changed" threads.

I went on the trip. HAL wasn't what it was, but the crew couldn't have been nicer. I've since booked another HAL cruise. (Another trip Dad wanted to take.)

Having the rather lengthy gap in cruises on HAL probably makes me less conscious of all the changes. BUT, having worked in customer service/quality improvement makes me very aware of the "little things" that will drive a customer away.

I've been quite negative about the rolling out of the Explore4 program because of the inconsistency used by HAL in deciding who does and doesn't get the promotion.

I've also been negative about some of the conditions of the new wine policy.

On the positive side --- this board is much friendlier than those of the "other" cruise lines frequented by Dad and me. It mirrors in many ways that wonderful HAL crew.

And THAT is the biggest positive --- the HAL crew. I can't say that EVERY HAL employee that I encountered on the last HAL cruise was thinking "what can I do to please this customer", but I can say that most were.

So, please consider this post more positives than negatives, just like a HAL cruise.

39500158[/size]]I wonder if it is not an example of understaffing.

When there are fewer people doing the same work' date=' the job of finishing up a cruise is a very busy time at the front office. They have a mountain of work to do getting the final bills, debark envelopes and all the rest done on last day. There possibly were not enough people there to enable them to perform a small service for the guest. There are likely a number of such examples going on in all areas of the ship where there may be reduced crew/staff.[/b']

Sail, I don't know if understaffing played a role here or not, but I do agree that understaffing on all the lines I sail is having an impact on the quality of service. The place I've noticed it the most is in the dining room with slow food service and practically non-existent beverage/wine service.

Correct me if I'm wrong (please), but I don't think the concern is about the 'negative' comments.

It looks to me that the problem is with the marketing strategy of the company. They want to encourage repeat cruising by extolling the value of being a Mariner, but really give nothing for that loyalty.

So, it looks to me like they need to shake up their staffing in the marketing/sales department.

They have to give their repeat Mariners credit for being aware of the inequality in their sales tactics.

Or has the Mariner program worked so well for them, that they will not be profitable giving financial incentive to this high percentage of repeat cruisers?

"There is something wrong......"

As a 4 star mariner, I enjoy free laundry and pressing, wine in packages at 50% off ($15-20/bottle), priority check in and boarding, some nice cocktail parties, 50% discount on the specialty restaurants, discounts in the shop, flowers and champagne in my cabin and occasional special pricing on cruises. I appreciate all of these little things, and do not have much to complain about.

One of the biggest complaints I have noticed lately is the new wine policy that goes into effect in January 2014. I don't bring wine on board. Just for curiosity, what percentage of HAL passengers do?

I miss the Big Band cruises that started me on TAs in the first place. I also note the absence of the lecture series that used to be so good on the TAs. However the food and service (why I cruise) are still good and consistent enough to keep me here...

Archived