Alternative Take on Dress Codes

Y'all have it figured out yet?

Royal Caribbean Dress Code MDR (suggested)

RCL Definitions:

<H3>Formal Nights

• Men: Collared shirts with slacks, nice jeans or suit pants. Jackets are optional but common. Tuxedoes are optional and occasionally seen.
  • Women: Evening, cocktail dresses or formal clothing (pant suits, dressy clothes).
  • No tank tops, hats or swim wear in the dining rooms.

Thank you for posting this. It proves that a collared polo shirt and khakis are perfectly acceptable on formal night. No tux, no suit, no jacket required. Good to see RCL is finally acknowledging the realities of today's cruising public.

Are there reall people that sit around the MDR on formal night or any other night and be looking around then discuss what people are wearing??? Really????

faint.gif

Apparently so. What a shame; they are only "ruining" the evening for themselves. Just enjoy your immediate company and the provided chow. How hard is that? :confused:

These threads get a lot of attention because...it is NOT about what people choose to wear or not wear to the MDR....

It is about the people who insist to tell other people what they must wear or not wear to the MDR, in spite of what the RCI "Dress Code" actually states....these people have their own dress codes and feel everyone should follow theirs....

I could care less what other people wear...but I do care when other people tell me what I should do...in spite of what the rules actually state.

I concur.

This was several months ago, but I actually read a poster who said s/he wanted everyone else to dress up as background/props for THEIR dress up evening.:eek:

That's exactly why I cruise....to be background for someone else.

I get the impression that those who "dress up" for "Formal Night" assume that those who don't wear a suit/tux or gown are in a pair of smart jorts with Bud Light tanktop. :cool:

Some people here (not all) do give that impression.

I get the impression that those who "dress up" for "Formal Night" assume that those who don't wear a suit/tux or gown are in a pair of smart jorts with Bud Light tanktop. :cool:

And that is the gasoline that fuels the fires that are these dress code threads. To those people, there just is no in between from tuxedo to "jorts with Bud Light tanktop".

RCL Definitions:

<H3>Formal Nights

• Men: Collared shirts with slacks, nice jeans or suit pants. Jackets are optional but common. Tuxedoes are optional and occasionally seen.
  • Women: Evening, cocktail dresses or formal clothing (pant suits, dressy clothes).

</H3>Other Cruise Casual Nights

• Men: Slacks, khakis, jeans and button down shirts.
  • Women: casual dresses, skirts and blouse.

First Night - there are exceptions for all circumstances

Note: this is NOT from an official Royal Caribbean webside or source. It is from an UNOFFICIAL Blog, which states "Royal Caribbean Blog is an unofficial fan blog written for other fans of the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. The Royal Caribbean Blog is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line "

Thank you for posting this. It proves that a collared polo shirt and khakis are perfectly acceptable on formal night. No tux, no suit, no jacket required. Good to see RCL is finally acknowledging the realities of today's cruising public.

This is not RCI's position. Check their website.

I quite enjoy being their background... I'm sure they like it less than I do.

I'm not obnoxious and run up to jump in people's photos, but if they walk up and take a photo where I'm likely to be in it... that's a whole different story. HEHEHE I try to do something wonderful for them.

This is not RCI's position. Check their website.

OK

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/beforeyouboard/whatToKnow/whatToPack.do

As opposed to:

If you're planning to ice skate on our Voyager, Freedom and Oasis Class ships please make sure to bring long pants and socks. All skaters are required to wear long pants and socks for their own comfort and safety.

Note: this is NOT from an official Royal Caribbean webside or source. It is from an UNOFFICIAL Blog, which states "Royal Caribbean Blog is an unofficial fan blog written for other fans of the Royal Caribbean Cruise Line. The Royal Caribbean Blog is not affiliated with Royal Caribbean Cruise Line "

Dear oh dear. There are subversives everywhere! And they dare to call themselves Royal "fans"!

;)

So now folks is posting information from someone's blog and presenting it as fact???? WOW Unbelievable!

Be it pro or con people should at least post factual info from the website and not someones blog on how "they" think it should be!

I concur.

This was several months ago, but I actually read a poster who said s/he wanted everyone else to dress up as background/props for THEIR dress up evening.:eek:

I have seen a couple posts like that . :) Some people need a reality check now and again.

Ah... I stand corrected. I'll still wear my polo and khakis, however. :D

I concur.

Hmm. If that was actually said, it's a little out there. However, I have seen something similar posted as a way people have twisted others' view that having everyone (or most everyone) dressed up is part of the overall ambiance of formal night.

My point was simply that there is a difference between going to a formal event (ie and event where it is standard to dress up and all or most people do so) and just dressing up because you want to. I don't know what this is such a hard thing to understand.

So, if there were no longer a formal night on a cruise, it wouldn't prevent you from donning formal attire, but that would be different from a night where the standard attire is formal. It's not wrong; it's just different.

So, no, dressing up to go to McDonald's doesn't make McDonald's a formal place on that night. It just means the you went there dressed up.

True -- dressing up to go to a casual place would not make the place different -- but this is not what you argued earlier. If the MDR is the "place" under consideration, it is always about the same in atmosphere -- nice place settings, tablecloths, chandeliers, etc.-- the same as a "nice" restaurant. The physical venue we are discussing does not change -- it is never a McDonald's.

As for the term "event" -- same as "occasion", in my opinion, except it perhaps implies that someone besides myself is setting the tone. This is the closest we have come to the original idea of the cruise lines setting a "tone" by requiring or suggesting a mode of dress. There is no argument from me that what other people wear can add to or subtract from the "tone" of an occasion.

My argument all along has simply been that if the cruise lines forgo requiring or suggesting formal/elegant attire on any given night, cruisers will not lose the ability to dress nicely, maintain whatever traditions they like, and thus create their own atmosphere, regardless of what others are doing. As a matter of fact, in continuing their beloved tradition, they may actually sway people over to their side, ultimately resulting in no need for a written dress code, because other pax want to "keep up appearances"... although I don't see that happening.

You and I are actually on the same page, and I am not as dense as I have made myself out to be. I would love to see formal night maintained (thought as I said, I don't require it in order to dress up), and I truly do understand that the "tone" of the evening can be diminished, for some people, based on others' clothing (and behavior!) choices. I just would love to see people relax a little and enjoy their cruise, enjoy dressing up if they choose to, and not try to change the way the world is, I think, inevitable going. Tilting at windmills is so exhausting!

Cheers! (Thanks for the great argument!)

And that is nothing like what you posted. Disappointed in you ssb, after our discussions about Galveston, I thought you were better than that.:(

I was quoting someone elses quote on each and including the RCL one?

I got right with the RCL post of Dress Code!!!!!!!!!!

What is your excuse for being ugly again! :rolleyes:

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

True -- dressing up to go to a casual place would not make the place different -- but this is not what you argued earlier. If the MDR is the "place" under consideration, it is always about the same in atmosphere -- nice place settings, tablecloths, chandeliers, etc.-- the same as a "nice" restaurant. The physical venue we are discussing does not change -- it is never a McDonald's.

As for the term "event" -- same as "occasion", in my opinion, except it perhaps implies that someone besides myself is setting the tone. This is the closest we have come to the original idea of the cruise lines setting a "tone" by requiring or suggesting a mode of dress. There is no argument from me that what other people wear can add to or subtract from the "tone" of an occasion.

My argument all along has simply been that if the cruise lines forgo requiring or suggesting formal/elegant attire on any given night, cruisers will not lose the ability to dress nicely, maintain whatever traditions they like, and thus create their own atmosphere, regardless of what others are doing. As a matter of fact, in continuing their beloved tradition, they may actually sway people over to their side, ultimately resulting in no need for a written dress code, because other pax want to "keep up appearances"... although I don't see that happening.

You and I are actually on the same page, and I am not as dense as I have made myself out to be. I would love to see formal night maintained (thought as I said, I don't require it in order to dress up), and I truly do understand that the "tone" of the evening can be diminished, for some people, based on others' clothing (and behavior!) choices. I just would love to see people relax a little and enjoy their cruise, enjoy dressing up if they choose to, and not try to change the way the world is, I think, inevitable going. Tilting at windmills is so exhausting!

Cheers! (Thanks for the great argument!)

Well, I'm not trying to change the way the world is. I just think it's silly that you or anyone else would think there's not difference between having a formal night and just deciding on your own to go somewhere in formal attire. It's different. I don't know why you're trying to make yourself seem dense, if you're not really as dense as you made yourself out to be.

I'm happy with the status quo, though. The formal nights are there, and imo, they are enjoyable. I don't need for everyone to be forced to dress up. Having it as a suggestion works just fine.

I concur.

I recall that post from the past. And when that person decides to start paying my cruise fare I may consider dressing to their liking for a few hours.

I was quoting someone elses quote on each and including the RCL one?

I got right with the RCL post of Dress Code!!!!!!!!!!

What is your excuse for being ugly again! :rolleyes:

Patience is essential, attitude is everything.

A good attitude is the difference between ordeal and adventure!

Being happy does not mean that everything is perfect.

It means you have decided to look beyond

the imperfections of you’re expectations.

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand,

Not a worry in the world,

a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!!

Zac Brown Band!!

You posted a very misleading post and I'm not the only one that thought that way. You posted it as RCL Definitions with no reference that it was a blog. Shame on you. You only quoted the true dress code suggestions after you were called on by several posters.

They have to use extremes like that in order to make their whining seem even remotely legitimate and maybe produce some sympathy. We all know that in reality that just isn't what you see in the dining room even on the most casual evening. I suspect that even if they had a theme night suggesting such clothing practically no one on the ship would have the clothes to comply.

I'm happy with the status quo, though. The formal nights are there, and imo, they are enjoyable. I don't need for everyone to be forced to dress up. Having it as a suggestion works just fine.

Amen. Just leave it as it is.

You posted a very misleading post and I'm not the only one that thought that way. You posted it as RCL Definitions with no reference that it was a blog. Shame on you. You only quoted the true dress code suggestions after you were called on by several posters.

As said I was was quoting someone else.

Including Definitions!

My source was bad.

I admit that!

Trying to be helpful!

I accomplished that!

I got it right!

And proud of it!

I sense lots of anger in your posts.:rolleyes:

I got it right!

Archived