Alternative Take on Dress Codes

I apologize if somebody has made this observation before.

1. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in food.
  2. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in service.
  3. There seem to be many who believe the old way of dressing up is going the way of the rotary phone.

Question: What's the point of providing 5-star food and service to a group of patrons happy to dress for fast-food dinning? Are these food/service declines not just a reversion to the lowest common denominator? After all, it seems universal that specialty restaurants (where you typically find the dress and atmosphere nicer) do the dining experience better.

Said another way: In my experience, eating establishments with higher standards for their patrons also apply higher standards to their food and service.

Said yet another way: Why would any cruise line whose patrons can't distinguish between beach wear and formal wear assume they can identify (or even want) a fine dining experience?

Remember this the next time you want to complain about your small, overcooked lobster as you leave the dining room wearing cargo shorts and a Coors Light t-shirt.

In advance, any response that contains "it's my vacation" or a discussion of "suggested versus required" need not apply.

Before you post the usual response, seriously think about this and decide if we are simply now sleeping in the bed we have made?

I would not equate a mass market cruise line budgeting about $5 per/person for dinner to be even remotely close to fine dining. With the number of berths RCI has to fill they are attracting a wide breadth of passengers, a large amount of whom do not wish to dress up during vacation. I do not think the relaxed dress has impacted the food quality; budget cuts necessitated by lower pricing to fill the ships, increased food costs and larger ships meaning even more mass production of meals are the reasons. They still do a decent job, but fine dining it is not.

In total agreement with what you said. Also, it is not very difficult to put on a pair of chinos, button down shirt, tie and a blazer. Most men would be suprised how much better they're treated by wait staff, stewardess and significant others when dressed with a bit of style.

In total agreement with what you said. Also, it is not very difficult to put on a pair of chinos, button down shirt, tie and a blazer. Most men would be suprised how much better they're treated by wait staff, stewardess and significant others when dressed with a bit of style.

I agree with this. I have also always thought that the decor of the dining room demands better dress than jeans or cargo shorts. I find it difficult to understand why the servers are better dressed than many of the dining guests. I also believe that people behave better when they are dressed up, especially women when they wear dresses.

Today, I would guess (it is my guess, you go make your own guess) with life revolving around Taco Bell, McDonald's etc. People EAT. I truly doubt most folks know the definition fo the word Dining when it comes to a fine restaurant, on land or sea.

I would love to know the number of folks that have actually spent an evening... Dining.

I love the CC complaints that Dinner took 2 hours!! The Horror! My personal comment to them is that Taco Bell is only 5 minutes away from the KOA Camp Site.

I can foresee the day when the MDR will no longer require tables and chairs, the food will simply be dispensed in a hog trough and passengers will move along the trough in a moving sidewalk....no more worries about 2 hour dining experiences.....

One of the things I'd like to see a cruise line try is a new ship with no dining room. I've often proposed this on the Carnival board specifically because I think Carnival food in the MDR is a notch below Golden Corral. Here's my proposal. A ship that gives you 2 options at dinner time. You can leave your flip flops and shorts on and head to the buffet or you can dress a little nicer and pick a specialty dining room that will charge extra. The cruise should be priced lower due to the savings that are seen due to the elimination of the MDR where a lot less food would be wasted. I see a ship with 6 or 7 specialty dining venues and the area that was reserved for the MDR could be a 3D IMAX theatre that would eliminate those monster TV's on deck, a win-win.

Wow. You used 'button down shirt' and 'style' in the same sentence!

I would not equate a mass market cruise line budgeting about $5 per/person for dinner to be even remotely close to fine dining. With the number of berths RCI has to fill they are attracting a wide breadth of passengers, a large amount of whom do not wish to dress up during vacation. I do not think the relaxed dress has impacted the food quality; budget cuts necessitated by lower pricing to fill the ships, increased food costs and larger ships meaning even more mass production of meals are the reasons. They still do a decent job, but fine dining it is not.

Exactly. Those reasons, plus maybe...just maybe, the cruise lines are hoping to steer as many passengers as possible into the specialty/surcharge($$$) restaurants by declining the quality of the offerings in the MDR. I think the pants police have blamed those who would prefer to dress a little more casually whilst on vacation for everything short of the Kennedy assassination.

One of the things I'd like to see a cruise line try is a new ship with no dining room. I've often proposed this on the Carnival board specifically because I think Carnival food in the MDR is a notch below Golden Corral. Here's my proposal. A ship that gives you 2 options at dinner time. You can leave your flip flops and shorts on and head to the buffet or you can dress a little nicer and pick a specialty dining room that will charge extra. The cruise should be priced lower due to the savings that are seen due to the elimination of the MDR where a lot less food would be wasted. I see a ship with 6 or 7 specialty dining venues and the area that was reserved for the MDR could be a 3D IMAX theatre that would eliminate those monster TV's on deck, a win-win.

Not the worst idea, although I don't see the need to eliminate the screens on deck.

Alternatively, I would suggest that just as you choose a first or second seating for dinner, you could also choose "formal" or "casual" and split the MDR into two sections. For the "casual" side, my version of the dress code would be that shorts are allowed (but not jean shorts or running/basketball shorts)...swimwear, tank tops and flip flops would also not be allowed and men would be required to wear a collared shirt of some kind. The rules on the formal side (whatever they are - I wouldn't care since I'd never be there) can then be enforced very strictly, although it shouldn't really be necessary since those people chose that side.

Chicken or the egg????? I think folks don't want to "dress up" for mediocre food. Before "specialty" restaurants, the MDR food was quite good, and artfully presented, on china, with real silverware and crystal!

I'd rather see no specialty restaurants, and a return to "fine dining" in the dining room!

I like and agree with your observations. And cruise lines do provide dining venues for those who do not wish to dress up.

I also agree. Disney stopped serving escargot and other up scale foods, because of the desires of the guests to eat more establishment and simpler foods.

Well said OP, we did it to ourselves. When I think back, the food was much better when everyone dressed up for dinner.

I also agree. Disney stopped serving escargot and other up scale foods, because of the desires of the guests to eat more establishment and simpler foods.

Well said OP, we did it to ourselves. When I think back, the food was much better when everyone dressed up for dinner.

I don't see how wearing a tuxedo would make me want to eat snails.

I think the day of folks going on vacation and enjoying hauling multiple sets of formal attire in baggage that they now pay to bring along has passed along with the large number of people who no longer find dressing up this to be a pleasurable part of their vacations. The assumption that people who don't like to dress the way that you do and therefore can't appreciate good food is offensive and somewhat arrogant. Even the best restaurants no longer require jackets and ties, pretty much all they require is that you pay. This is not a cruise line trend, it reflects our society in general. How many men do you know who are still required to wear suits to work? Perhaps the answer is for there to be a for fee specialty dining venue on board that offers a formal experience rather than the main dining room, surely it costs more to offer such formal meal service. In the end, money talks and if the cruise lines alienated the cruising masses by insisting that they dress according to outdated standards where would that get them.

BTW, we no longer use the MDR when cruising as we prefer a more casual dining experience. And by casual I don't mean attire, we actually dress in nice sportswear for our evenings on board. I mean the ability to control what goes on our plates and the pace of our meal which we find is quite satisfactory in the Windjammer where we can get pretty much anything being served in the MDR.

Today, I would guess (it is my guess, you go make your own guess) with life revolving around Taco Bell, McDonald's etc. People EAT. I truly doubt most folks know the definition fo the word Dining when it comes to a fine restaurant, on land or sea.

I would love to know the number of folks that have actually spent an evening... Dining.

I love the CC complaints that Dinner took 2 hours!! The Horror! My personal comment to them is that Taco Bell is only 5 minutes away from the KOA Camp Site.

I can foresee the day when the MDR will no longer require tables and chairs, the food will simply be dispensed in a hog trough and passengers will move along the trough in a moving sidewalk....no more worries about 2 hour dining experiences.....

LOL, but a little on the dark side!

Not true..Just returned from the Disney Fantasy and they still offer Escargot along with a multitude of "up-scale" foods like: Wild Boar (really good and tender), a trio of veal (Amazing!), Glazed Portobello Mushrooms, along with many, many other items you will not find in Outback or Romano's Macaroni Grill.

Although I agree also with your point that marketing has influenced the food price. But Royal could have done what some other cruise lines have done and had separate dinning rooms and separate kitchens. It could be cost effective and satisfy the casual eater as well as the person looking for a little better dinning experience.

I want to add that having the money to pay for better food does not necessarily improve the manners or the dress codes of some passengers. Some simply do not care how they look, or act or about what anyone else thinks. Just venture up to the CL on either the Allure or the Oasis. So these people will always exist. And as the OP originally stated that does influence the quality of the food as well as cost. One does not negate the other.

I suspect that if every single person on every Royal Caribbean cruiseship next month suddenly dressed better in the MDR, the food and service would be basically the same as the month before and the month after. After all the food budget will be the same and the staffing will be the same. They do their best with what they have.

I can believe that perhaps dressing better and using good manners may well contribute to a better experience for the diners at an indivual table. Maybe some wait staff will tend to be a bit more attentive to that table if they project a positive vibe. no guarantees, but maybe.

there often is a correlation between dress and manners, but not always. Hypothetically, if I had the choice, I'd rather sit near well mannered passengers in jeans and Tshirts than poorly behaved ones in dresses and ties.

I want to add that having the money to pay for better food does not necessarily improve the manners or the dress codes of some passengers. Some simply do not care how they look, or act or about what anyone else thinks

What these passengers don't realise is that they're plates of nouvelle cuisine usually come with a side order of GOB compliments of their waiter.

And the price for a cruise was much higher!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived