Alternative Take on Dress Codes

I apologize if somebody has made this observation before.

1. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in food.
  2. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in service.
  3. There seem to be many who believe the old way of dressing up is going the way of the rotary phone.

Question: What's the point of providing 5-star food and service to a group of patrons happy to dress for fast-food dinning?

Alternative take? Dress it up any way you want. This is just another run of the mill dress code thread.

I apologize if somebody has made this observation before.

1. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in food.
  2. There seem to be many complaints about the decline in service.
  3. There seem to be many who believe the old way of dressing up is going the way of the rotary phone.

Question: What's the point of providing 5-star food and service to a group of patrons happy to dress for fast-food dinning? Are these food/service declines not just a reversion to the lowest common denominator? After all, it seems universal that specialty restaurants (where you typically find the dress and atmosphere nicer) do the dining experience better.

Said another way: In my experience, eating establishments with higher standards for their patrons also apply higher standards to their food and service.

Said yet another way: Why would any cruise line whose patrons can't distinguish between beach wear and formal wear assume they can identify (or even want) a fine dining experience?

Remember this the next time you want to complain about your small, overcooked lobster as you leave the dining room wearing cargo shorts and a Coors Light t-shirt.

In advance, any response that contains "it's my vacation" or a discussion of "suggested versus required" need not apply.

Before you post the usual response, seriously think about this and decide if we are simply now sleeping in the bed we have made?

In advance, any response that contains "it's my vacation" or a discussion of "suggested versus required" need not apply.

My favorite excuse to read is "been there done that":confused:

what the heck does that really mean or have to do with dressing up on formal night. so you cruised one or twice and now you paid your dues.

my friends and I cruise a lot more than most and always, i mean always, dress proper on forma nightl. check out the dia+ cruisers and even the pinnacle on formal night. 99.9% of them are dressed to the nines.

so how can you say---"been there done that" :confused::confused:

JUST A LAME EXCUSE---------

Back in the 90's, there was a 4-5 star restaurant in my area that would require men to wear a Jacket and had some spare ones in case they came without one. The only exception was Thanksgiving, I was able to get away with wearing a nice sweater. Thanksgiving was the only day turkey was on the menu, otherwise it was duck, escargot, and other fancy dishes for a high price.

Today the dress code is no longer enforced and people wear what they want at that same restaurant. Gourmet burgers and other steakhouse items have been added to the menu along with the duck, at the same high prices.

As for my cruises, I think overall people are dressed nice for dinner. There may be a stray couple or two wearing sports jerseys or something, but it's usually because it's their first cruise and didn't prepare when packing. Many people have to fly to get to the port, so it's difficult to bring a tux, suit, or even a sports jacket (I'm not wearing it on the plane as I wear comfortable clothes to get through the TSA screening process). I wear a nice collared shirt and pants to the MDR.

And if someone else is wearing jeans or shorts, I don't notice as I'm there to enjoy dinner with new friends assigned to my table. While My Time Dining is great for families, the increasing amount of people who don't want to dine with strangers is going to take away from the cruising experience. I've met many great people just by having dinner with them. It's hard for a solo/single person to meet people on the ship, and I'd rather not dine alone. It's why I don't sail on Norwegian due to Freestyle only dining.

While I have noticed the quality of food going down with the addition of specialty restaurants, I've seen a dish overcooked on one cruise and then cooked perfectly on the next cruise. Trying to serve thousands of people will be hit or miss.

It's coming down to "old money" versus "nouveau riche" (newly rich). People from money may be part of the formal traditions. People who got their money later in life did not grow up with those values. Of course, many people who cruise are from neither, just hard working people who want to enjoy a cruise their way. I hope we don't see a return to the class system on ships (like Titanic). Everyone should receive the "Gold Anchor" service Royal Caribbean promotes.

The casual dress 24/7 affects more than cruise dining. My SIL is head of the human resources dept of a large insurance company. All other things being equal she will hire the candidate who respects him/herself enough to dress for the interview. As children grow up seeing their parents go to nice restaurants, live theater, etc. in their backyard BBQ clothes, they will pattern their dress after them. Everyone can pretty well dress whatever way they want, but it does affect others's perception of them.

I swore I wouldn't get sucked into one of these dress code threads, but I'm sitting on the lanai watching the rain come and feeling philosophical.

I agree with a previous poster regarding the Disney food. I was just on Fantasy in December and the food IS much more upscale and the price of the cruise WAS much higher. However, the attire that was worn was more or less the same as what I have seen on my RCCL and X cruises. I have some friends who roll in the dough...they take cruises that I will never dream of taking and they eat the best food on their cruises by renowned chefs...and they wear shorts to dinner (just like most of the other cruisers)..lol. :D

:D:D let me see if I have this straight..if we all dress like Thurston Howell III and Lovey,we will be treated better ,enjoy our food more and the cuise will be marvelous!!!.......this is one interesting thread:cool::cool:

Funny, I ALWAYS picture Thurston and Lovey when I read these cruise dress threads. A three hour tour. . . with all those formal clothes too. :rolleyes:

To the OP, to equate that is RCI lessening the quality of the food to match the occasional dressed down passenger is just absurd my dear.

I disagree with the OP. We started cruising in 1977, yes the quality of food has declined since then, but so have the cruise prices. Over the past ten or so years, I don't feel that the food quality has declined at all. Fewer choices maybe, but the same quality of food. As for service, I have not noticed any decline in the excellent service that we have always had. As for seeing a higher class of dress in the specialty restaurants than in the MDR, absolutely not my experience.

Cruised earlier this year on Mariner and had good food, great service and did not notice anyone dressed in a manner that affected my dining experience.

Our cabin steward was probably one of the best we have experienced.

I'm very happy with the way things are, leave the suggested dress code as it is, enjoy the food and have a great cruise.

Said yet another way: Why would any cruise line whose patrons can't distinguish between beach wear and formal wear assume they can identify (or even want) a fine dining experience??

One has nothing to do with the other. Clothing does not impact food quality. Extremely broad brush you are painting with....:rolleyes:

No matter what anyone else says....if it YOUR paint brush...use it any way you want!

I do get a kick out of it.....the "it is my cruise, I will do what I want" crowd seem to truly show their irritation when others that choose to attire themselves in something other than flip-flops someone glued rhinetones to for formal nights expose their rights to their flip-flops but look down on those that choose a tux or cocktail dress...please note this is a very "PC" statement...he or she...can wear either the tux or cocktail dress...LOL.

:D:D let me see if I have this straight..if we all dress like Thurston Howell III and Lovey,we will be treated better ,enjoy our food more and the cuise will be marvelous!!!.......this is one interesting thread:cool::cool:

This reminds of a certain person (whom I shall call Lovey Thurston III!), who said last year "IT'S OUR TIME!"

Fortunately, it WASN'T!:D

BTW I have the popcorn ready this time!

I agree with this. I have also always thought that the decor of the dining room demands better dress than jeans or cargo shorts. I find it difficult to understand why the servers are better dressed than many of the dining guests. I also believe that people behave better when they are dressed up, especially women when they dresses.

Wait! You think women in dresses "behave" better?

I think the day of folks going on vacation and enjoying hauling multiple sets of formal attire in baggage that they now pay to bring along has passed along with the large number of people who no longer find dressing up this to be a pleasurable part of their vacations.

I've always enjoyed dressing up on formal nights, but after sailing on Oceania where all dining is "smart casual", I have to admit it was delightful not to have to pack the extra shoes and clothing.

The casual atmosphere in their dining room certainly didn't hurt the quality of the food!

If RCI wanted people to "Dress Up"...then they should change their dress codes, and say as such...right now their dress codes are very simple....

All this talk about a jacket and tie, button down shirts, are NOT mentioned in the dress code, regardless of what day of the cruise it is....

All the dress code states is that they ask you what not to wear in the MDR...that's it....

Whenever these threads get started, it is full of people's opinions.....and everyone will have a different opinion...

Again, if people want the dress code changed, they should be complaining to RCI offices....not each other....

No matter what anyone else says....if it YOUR paint brush...use it any way you want!

I do get a kick out of it.....the "it is my cruise, I will do what I want" crowd seem to truly show their irritation when others that choose to attire themselves in something other than flip-flops someone glued rhinetones to for formal nights expose their rights to their flip-flops but look down on those that choose a tux or cocktail dress...please note this is a very "PC" statement...he or she...can wear either the tux or cocktail dress...LOL.

Wow is this backwards. The "casual crowd" generally couldn't care less how others dress - whether in a tux or in a track suit. It's only the crowd that's still trying to hold on to outdated cruising norms that get irritated by how others dress.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Forums mobile app

I'm way under 70 and love to dress up. What form of dress is appalling to you?

The over seventy crowd loves to dress up . Why not give them a special section of their own . Then they can sit around and discuss how utterly appalling the rest of us look .

No. This post is backwards. What do you consider outdated cruising?

Wow is this backwards. The "casual crowd" generally couldn't care less how others dress - whether in a tux or in a track suit. It's only the crowd that's still trying to hold on to outdated cruising norms that get irritated by how others dress.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII using Forums mobile app

Not the worst idea, although I don't see the need to eliminate the screens on deck.

Alternatively, I would suggest that just as you choose a first or second seating for dinner, you could also choose "formal" or "casual" and split the MDR into two sections. For the "casual" side, my version of the dress code would be that shorts are allowed (but not jean shorts or running/basketball shorts)...swimwear, tank tops and flip flops would also not be allowed and men would be required to wear a collared shirt of some kind. The rules on the formal side (whatever they are - I wouldn't care since I'd never be there) can then be enforced very strictly, although it shouldn't really be necessary since those people chose that side.

I was saying the same thing to my husband about different dress codes in different dining rooms. He does not like to dress up for dinner on vacation after having to dress everyday for work. We rarely eat in the MDR for this reason.

Archived