Where to put your stuff on the beaches?

maryhardy0112

waterproof waist pack is a great idea. I bought one on our last trip to the caribbean and it worked fine on tours up the waterfall in Jamaica and snorkeling in Grand Cayman. I kept my ship cards, photo ID, cash, credit cards and a photocopy of my passport dry the whole time. they sell on Amazon.com for about $12.

as for cameras, you can buy waterproof camera cases for just about any camera for less than $25 on Amazon too. they are generic fit but allow you to use it for up to 15 ft under water.

I agree - never had any problem with the waterproof sacks and such we've gotten.

However ---I would highly suggest that anyone who purchases any of the waterproof camera cases, and even the floaty straps (we snorkel, and I thought that would be perfect)...be SURE to test them out at home first! (I had to fill a plastic trash can with water to test the floaty strap, as you need some depth to test it.) I've not found one case yet that worked properly....so we bought a nice little Sony underwater camera, and I just keep it double-secured to my wrist when we are under water.

Happy...and safe... Cruising!

Edited by The Bun Mom

Just had to add my 2 cents worth....

Having spent 30+ years travelling, I'd say the tips above are great - carry only a copy of passport if at all possible; on the beach, have a water-proof camera with you, not in your bag; and wear a little water-proof neck pouch for cash, cruise card, credit card. ...

And here's my BEST TIP -- learned on Cruise Critic --- EVERY NIGHT ON BOARD SHIP, CHANGE OUT YOUR CAMERA'S DIGITAL CARD, SO THAT YOU'RE USING A FRESH CARD IN EACH PORT. That way, if your camera happens to grow legs and walk off...at least you've only lost that day's worth of priceless photos from that trip of a lifetime! :D

Finally, for those gals who want some SERIOUS security in a very fashionable purse, check out Pacsafe. I bought the new Herringbone purse for our recent Med cruise, and loved it - lots of compartments, it's slash-proof, the strap is slash-proof too. It even has an RFD compartment inside for your passport & credit cards, and it locks closed, plus the strap can be locked around a chairback in restaurants, etc. All that and it's actually VERY attractive and easy to carry (it's a cross-body style). Some of the best $$ I've ever spent!

Omg you are speaking straight out of my mind!

We use passport copies, pacsafe bags (important when eg in Rome), water-proof neck pouch and even rotate our memory cards in the camera!!!

All i need is a water-proof camera for beach tours :-)

Nice to read your posting!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

nO ONE MENTIONS CELL PHONES...ARE THEY MOT USED WHILE AT SEA OR ON AN EXCURSION? FIRST TIME CRUISER IN APRIL 2014. ANY ADVICE?

They usually fit in the quite cheap waterproof neck pouches. There are also special cases available. Or leave it in the safe!

• 2 weeks later...
Omg you are speaking straight out of my mind!

We use passport copies, pacsafe bags (important when eg in Rome), water-proof neck pouch and even rotate our memory cards in the camera!!!

All i need is a water-proof camera for beach tours :-)

Nice to read your posting!!!

Gee thanks! :D Like I always say --- Great minds think alike! ;)

nO ONE MENTIONS CELL PHONES...ARE THEY MOT USED WHILE AT SEA OR ON AN EXCURSION? FIRST TIME CRUISER IN APRIL 2014. ANY ADVICE?

Did you ever wonder what us ole folks did before they had cell phones? Most of us were quite happy and relaxed and did not worry about phones. These days, unless we are renting a car (when I always like to have a phone for emergencies) our phones stay turned off and in the cabin safe. If anyone needs to contact us for a real emergency they can call the ship.

Hank

I am very attached to my phone, however on previous cruises I have always turned them off and put them in the safe. You do so much more when your not staring at your phone lol. The only reason we would keep it on this trip more often than not is to check in on our daughter and our high anxiety puppy that we are leaving at home. Lol

I am very attached to my phone, however on previous cruises I have always turned them off and put them in the safe. You do so much more when your not staring at your phone lol. The only reason we would keep it on this trip more often than not is to check in on our daughter and our high anxiety puppy that we are leaving at home. Lol

We live in Mexico during the winter and our DD and her BF often come to visit for a week. They both have excellent jobs in NYC and work long hours. So their vacations are very important to them (we are on vacation 52 weeks a year). But it is almost amusing to see them laying on the beach which 2 cell phones each. They both have their personal iPhones and also have a Blackberry for work. So there they are, lounging on the beach, and constantly communicating (for both work and fun) on the beach. At one point her BF had an important telephone conference (solving a multi-million dollar problem) while walking on the Malecon (boardwalk). This is the new world...and DW and I are very happy not to be part of that kind of life. Yes, success means giving a lot of yourself, but we think there are limits.

Hank

You could try one of these.

I'm thinking of buying some kind of Beach Container. It can be attached to a beach chair with a cord.

I guess it would be easy to break open one of this. But normally they use the chance of unattended valuables and won't risk it to waste time on a container.

I had book marked this thread so that I could come back and see what the items above mentioned were all about and take them into consideration.

I just checked both of them out.

Now, looking at the first item with the chain: that chain looks so small and I can't imagine that keeping someone from breaking it and getting away with the bag. Then of course it would be easy to break into it once away from the scene.

The second one that kinda reminds me of a safe with the scroll lock, to me, it's just screaming "I have valuables inside me...take me".

I guess I understand the original idea of it's just one more step that would deter someone from walking away with your stuff when you are away, but I also see it as drawing attention to your items making other think there are valuables inside, making them want them even more. :confused:

I still think it's the best idea not to ever take any valuables with you and keep your cc, money, and sail card with you at all times in a waterproof bag around your waist or neck. That way the only thing they would get is your bag, towels, and clothes. So, I guess I'll continue to use my method and not worry about purchasing the above items.

I can say that I need a better item than the one that I have, which seems to leak when in salt water but not when I'm in regular water. :(

We are a threesome. Me, DH and DD.

We actually only leave our beach bag with sun tan lotion and disposable camera alone only on RCI private island (Labadee).

When we sail to other ports, if we are not buddied up with a family we met on the cruise to take turns watching the stuff, then one of us takes turns while the others frolic and have fun.

We dont trust it just being left alone.

Sea Ya

don't you have to pay international roaming fees? my carrier has a listing of $90 for the 5 days. that's my whole months worth of charges... so I decided to keep it turned off. I have an ill mom at home though & would have liked to have it nearby for her for emergencies....

don't you have to pay international roaming fees? my carrier has a listing of $90 for the 5 days. that's my whole months worth of charges... so I decided to keep it turned off. I have an ill mom at home though & would have liked to have it nearby for her for emergencies....

Yes I believe so. I have Verizon and my boyfriend works for them so he is the one with all the details, but we plan on keeping contact mostly thru text and short calls

• 2 years later...
We never take anything of value that can't be replaced if it was stolen. I carry a huge beach bag and only put our beach towels and clothes in it. They won't get much if they take it.

I have a dry pack that goes around my waist. I carry my cash, our ship cards and a credit card in it, so it is always with me.

As for a camera, I invested in a nice point and shoot waterproof camera years ago (and loved it so much I now have 3 of them :D) so I no longer take an expensive DSLR camera with me. It does a wonderful job and you can keep it wrapped around your wrist at all times (not to mention the awesome snorkeling pictures I get now). :)

We also usually strike up a convo or joke around with any "neighbors" sitting beside us and we usually keep an eye on their stuff and vice versa.

Some places you may go to have lockers. There's plenty of information on here to places to go and you can ask previous cruisers if the places you are going might have one.

Last of all, when we are in the water, we always take the time to look back at our "camp" area every so often to see if there's anything going on.

Have a wonderful cruise. :)

My question doesn't have anything to do with this thread but I know you have a lot of experience with cruising so I did want to ask you what do you do with your Sail card on the ship? I'll mostly be in my bathing suit and none of my cover ups have pockets. I'd prefer not to tote a purse with me every where. And I'll also be using my iPhone as my camera. Do you use a lanyard and if so do you have one with the pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My question doesn't have anything to do with this thread but I know you have a lot of experience with cruising so I did want to ask you what do you do with your Sail card on the ship? I'll mostly be in my bathing suit and none of my cover ups have pockets. I'd prefer not to tote a purse with me every where. And I'll also be using my iPhone as my camera. Do you use a lanyard and if so do you have one with the pocket?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Mitsugirly has a review on the Carnival thread. You might want to ask question there. This is a 3 year old thread and she might not even check this one.