Gastric Bypass Surgery and eating on the ship!

jen1016

I will be having Gastric Bypass Surgery about 5 months before I set sail on my next cruise - and I am just wondering if anyone else has had a surgery like that and then travelled on a Carnival Ship. How did you in the MDR? Did you ask for a special menu?

I

I will be having Gastric Bypass Surgery about 5 months before I set sail on my next cruise - and I am just wondering if anyone else has had a surgery like that and then travelled on a Carnival Ship. How did you in the MDR? Did you ask for a special menu?

I had diet restrictions on my last cruise and I just ate mostly off of the spa cuisine they have...it's made with no oils and fats...and sugar substitute....if I wanted to brave something on the regular menu I only ate a small portion....each day it had an appetizer, entree, and desert prepared to the spa cuisine standard....some of it was great....the deserts were okay....the salads were amazing!

I had the surgery 10/12 and went on Paradise 1/13. It turned out to be quite a learning experience. I went to dinner the first night and ordered a regular meal and found out I could only get less than half down. I learned my lesson.I ended up just getting an appetizer each night with soup. I'm pretty sure after you go through the pre op diet and conditioning, you will be able to figure out your limitations and what you can have and have not. Good Luck Too You! It's been a life changer for me. What cruise are you taking in 5 mos? I have 9/2 Glory, 10/28 Paradise & 2/1/14 Dream.

The staff in the MDR will be more than happy to help you with your dietary needs. If it is merely a matter of portion control, eat what you want and leave the rest. The waiter may question you if the food was to your liking. But once you explain it will put the question to rest for the remainder of the cruise.

If there are ingredients that you cannot have let them know. My SIL is extremely allergic to onion. Each evening after dinner the Maître d' or assistant comes by with the menu for the next night and reviews her choices. If there is nothing really available they have had special items prepared for her.

Good luck with the procedure and enjoy the cruise.

Charlie

Congrats on the gastric bypass. It has been one of the best things I have done for myself.

I went on my first post op cruise about a year after my RNY and couldnt even eat half of anything that was served. Ya gotta watch out for the fats & sugars. Things I didn't think had a lot of fat or sugar sure surprised me. I don't remember my RNY hindering me eating but i was still at the point that I was eating frequent small meals. I didnt ask for kids menus or smaller portions as I learned that that made the food come out later than if i just ordered like everyone else. Just eat what you can and don t overdo it.

I'm so glad someone asked this question.....I am due to cruise on 19th December and about to go for surgery hopefully in next couple of weeks and have been worried about eating on the ship and whether it would ruin my experience.

Will the dining room staff give me smaller portions if I ask? I'd feel bad about sending half a meal back every night and don't want to offend anyone.

My wife had gastric sleeve surgery a year before our last cruise and she pretty much picked what she really wanted to eat most and had a few bites of that. Make sure to let the waiters know that you had the surgery and that is the reason you aren't eating much. Otherwise they may think something is wrong with the food and want to bring you something else from the menu. Enjoy fitting into those smaller sizes and best of luck to ya!

I had a roux-en-y and have traveled a Carnival ship 4 times since. As you know, you may experience dumping syndrome if you eat refined sugar, honey, or high fructose corn syrup...or you may not. It is different for everyone. For me, I have severe reaction. Here is a story of my first cruise after surgery:

We slept well the first night and woke at 10am for the first sea day. DW and I went down to the main atrium bar to listen to music. DW ordered a pina colada, so I did the same. They are made with a mix with plenty of sugar. Within 5 minutes, I had to run back to the cabin and collasped into bed for a 3 hour nap. The ringing cabin phone woke me up. It was Camp Carnival calling to say my 6 year old was crying and wouldn't talk to anyone. "Oh there she goes! Sorry to bother you!" Next thing I know, DW keeps yelling my name over and over. I said, "WHAT? Don't you see I'm on the phone??" But no words came out because I was face down in the carpet. I was literally ON the phone as I had pulled it off the wall and was laying on it. I fainted so quickly I didn't even know it had happened!

So, that was my only sugar since I had surgery back in 2006. I ask the cooks or chef what is in items on the buffet. Sometimes I just ask if it is sweet (stuff like breads, soups or salad dressings). Sometimes I ask to see labels if possible. But I have no trouble finding plenty to eat, especially from the good variety of main dishes and entrees and from the many specialty restaurants. Nice thing about the buffet is I can get the really small portions and don't have to through away half the food like I do in the dining room. Dessert they usually have a sugar free layered cake (the sugar free cheesecake is a jello concoction that I cannot tolerate from taste to texture) on the buffet and on the dining room menu, but this last cruise I had to ask for it most of the time. You can also request sugar free vanilla ice cream in the dining room. Any type of juice, I ask is it 100% or is it a juice "drink." I never try the rum punch or mixed drinks as many use a juice drink or a sweetened drink mix. If you have sensitivities to any food item, let your head waiter know and they work very hard to accommodate you. You may also consider that you can carry on up to 2 12-packs and may want to bring your favorite diet soda. The only "free" sugar free beverages are water, coffee, and tea. Milk is available at meals and on the buffet. Orange juice (very strong almost like concentrate without enough water...great in Mimosas, needs more water otherwise) is available at meals in the dining room and from the dispensers during breakfast...otherwise it is charged just like any other drink from the bar.

My biggest advice to you is a few months after surgery, your stomach will still be very small. Don't let all the food make you eat too much. Know how much you can eat at a sitting and what your food limitations are. Experimenting on a cruise ship is not a good thing. If you get sick, your care could be a really big expensive problem. Request small portions when you can so you don't feel compelled to eat more than what is comfortable. Don't eat until you are full or you will probably be miserable. Your doctor will tell you to drink lots of water anyway, but be prepared to increase drinking your water. It'll probably be hot and you may be more active than normal. My next near fainting came after drinking only 7 bottles of water on the morning we hiked through the Belizean rainforest...and it wasn't that strenuous.

Hope all that helps.

Will the dining room staff give me smaller portions if I ask? I'd feel bad about sending half a meal back every night and don't want to offend anyone.

You can always ask. Maybe talk to the Maître d'. However I think you'll find that it is better to just let the servers know that you can only eat a small amount.

Each station in the kitchen has a specific plating guide that they follow for all of the items that come to the table. If you look around at plates that have the same entrée you will notice that they all look exactly alike. Entrée, vegetable, starch, and garnish are all in the same place on each plate.

The kitchen may be trying to get out 1000 meals for the dining rooms in a very short period of time. Special requests can take a bit more time.

To avoid the temptation of eating too much you may want to ask the server for an extra plate and just move your excess off before you eat. You could even have it removed from the table if you explain why.

As far as wasting the leftovers, the garbage food (both left from the plates and leftovers in the kitchen) is pulped and pumped in to the sea. The fisheys thank you!

Charlie

To avoid the temptation of eating too much you may want to ask the server for an extra plate and just move your excess off before you eat. You could even have it removed from the table if you explain why.

Charlie

Thanks for that....might just do that instead....wouldn't want to starve the fishes :)

DW had RNY Gastric Bypass in 2003. We cruised after 3 months and then again at 10 months....and many times since. On those first couple of cruises, she couldn't eat much and skipped dessert. The waiters gave her a hard time (joking around) and so she started getting me to eat some and then mixing the rest up to look like she ate more. It was fun and a great memory. Your body will tell you what your limits are. She is still doing great 10 years and many cruises later. She will tell you it was the best thing she ever did. Good Luck and Happy Cruising!

My sister and I had the full roux-n-y gastric bypass with the addition of a little "govenor" placed just below our new tummy pouch (it's kind of like a life saver that forever restricts the size of food that can continue into our intestine).......

Anyway....We cruised probably 6 months after our surgeries and found already knew our red flag foods...like bread, dense meats, salads.....we find still that we can eat a little salad, but it fills us up so much that it's rarely worth it, so we stick to soups for the appetizer.....also fish is much easier and safer for us to eat because it's "softer" and easily chewed up to the size acceptable......we're not big dessert fans, but I do have the occasional sherbet or a small amount of cake...

Every individual is different as to how much sugar they can tollerate and in what form. I can easily eat a candy bar, but a whole piece of pie is going to give me problems.

Our surgeries were 10 years ago, and what really surprised me is how 40 years of eating habits (too large of portions, not chewing well....) are still occasionally completely forgotten........especially if I'm really hungry....I'll get stuck every time if I'm not thinking.

Be sure to take it easy. I had gastric sleeve surgery in May 2012 and cruised in Nov and Dec of that same year. I had to watch what I ate carefully, mostly because my stomach couldn't hold much. If I ate too much or the wrong things, it had a tendency to come back up or I felt miserable. Listen to your stomach and, like others have said, you don't have to eat more than you want. It is OK to send it back. I could not drink much, maybe a beer once a day, or an alcoholic drink with diet soda. You will do just fine if you listen to your stomach and be moderate. I have found that a couple bites are as good to me as the whole thing used to be.

I had gastric bypass in May 2012 and cruised in November 2012. As others have stated, you just need to know your limits which shouldn't be a problem at 5 months out. You learn quickly what your baby tummy can handle, trust me:rolleyes:

My best advice is to order whatever you feel like nibbling and leave the rest once you reach your limit. I know some may say this is "wasting food" but IMO we paid for the dinner in our cruise fare just as everyone else did and are entitled to eat any 4 or 5 bites of our choosing!

Happy sailings and best of luck with your weight loss journey!

This is an interesting thread. I did a little research online before considering it. I read in a few places that most people can only eat about a tablespoon or two of food per meal, sounds like that's a myth based on this thread.

Wishing all of you luck and happy sailing!

First of all congrats on making a wonderful life changing decision and good luck with your upcoming surgery.

As many other posters have stated at 5 months out your will know what agrees with you and what doesn't.

I am 11 years post op and tend to be cautious when I'm vacation just to be safe. Nothing like having an dumping episode in the middle of an activity to ruin your day...lol

Any bariatric surgery is serious but very common and most people in the food. service industry are aware of these types of procedures.

When I had my surgery 11 years ago it was not common and I was embarrassed to tell people I had it done..I only wish I was able to reach out to other people to discuss concerns that occur in everyday life.

I love to share my knowledge I have gained over the past 11 years to newbies or people considering surgery

It's not a decision that is lightly and not the easy way out by any means !

The OP was asking for advice not criticism for their decision.

thank you!

We had a couple at our dining room table who had had it. They made diner very uncomfortable for everyone with their complaining about food service size and how they could only eat a few bits and why should they have to wait for everyone else. IMPO buffet or a table for two would have been better suited to this couple.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Whoops I hit enter too soon. I also wanted to add I think this couple would have complained about everything regardless of the bypass. I know a few people and going out to dinner with them was / is never a issue

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Don't worry about sending food back. Chances are, that plate was already pretty much prepared and just waiting for someone to order it.

I haven't had the surgery, but have always been able to only eat small amounts. However, I do love to sample different foods, so I order whatever I want, and send the rest for the fishies. I just tell the waiters up front, "small stomach, but I like to try things." They're cool with that.

By the way, I love that "second plate" idea.

Best of luck all and happy sailing.

This is an interesting thread. I did a little research online before considering it. I read in a few places that most people can only eat about a tablespoon or two of food per meal, sounds like that's a myth based on this thread.

Immediately after surgery, the stomach has been reduced to the size of your pinky. So, yes, people will only be able to eat a tablespoon or two of food per meal. But the small stomach will eventually stretch out with 2 years being the average time for it to reach its final size. People who cannot control their eating can stretch it out to the size of their original stomach. Some even go back and have the surgery again. But people who follow the program will end up with a stomach that holds about 2 cups. Last I checked the surgery had a 70% success rate.

DH just had RNY 2 months ago and we sail in 2 months. Has lost almost 60 lbs since surgery. (totally lost almost 150 off since starting the process.) He has contacted Special Needs to get a waiver so bring on as much water as he needs. Also contacted the matride' about his dining options. Has appointment with him at 2 pm the day we board. (He can eat about 4 oz totally a meal. No liquid at meals.)

He has learned how much he cannot eat anymore without getting sick. He drinks alot of water everyday. This first cruise will be a good learning experience.

On our last cruise I had just started a new drug for my diabeties. Doctor said it was the cheapest stomach reduction surgery without having the surgery. The waiters were not happy in the evening. All I wanted was a baked potato. After the third night it was delivered with various decorations in it.

Just beware they will question why you are not eating and just be open with them. Then they will understand and not be offended.

Edited by deborahjo

I had gastric bypass several years ago and I cruise frequently.

First, no one ever knows I have had the bypass done... I have tried to explain it, but it does not translate well enough to the staff. Now, I just say that I have a small tummy or tummy issues. That seems to be enough.

I tend to order two appetizers. They work the best for me and my pouch. I have been known to also order mac and cheese each night and eat three bites. Littlesnit has the right idea, order small portions and taste what you want. The waiters really are okay with that. Your dining partners should be as well, although I haven't really had any negative comments. A few raised eyebrows, maybe (especially when I did not order the lobster...too rich for me!) Also, my daughter might share a bite of her main entree with me which is really enough while I enjoy a bowl of the pumpkin soup.

The desserts are fine for one bite, but are generally too sweet and I am just not interested.

A couple of ideas: Early on, I took a couple of premixed shakes with me on a cruise and some protein bars. They were helpful and used. Be aware cruise food is rich/sugar-laden and can be challenging to the most seasoned pouch. Proceed lightly/wisely. Don't be afraid to take your own protein bars from home. The worst that could happen is that you take it back home with you unopened.

The buffet is used for simple snacks such as Cheese. Yogurt. Protein. Fruit. Again, keep it simple. Basic. Take it back to your room if possible and use the fridge if needed. I still use the buffet only for that.

Have fun, enjoy your cruise! Carnival really does have great food! But pace yourself!

I did it after five weeks out. I just ate light. Now I'm 1 1/2 yrs out and lost from 325 down to 164. I cruise 3 times a yr and lose about 3 pounds on the cruise. I get to eat food that is better for me then what everyone at home eats.