Gastric Bypass Surgery and eating on the ship!

jen1016

I will be having Gastric Bypass Surgery about 5 months before I set sail on my next cruise - and I am just wondering if anyone else has had a surgery like that and then travelled on a Carnival Ship. How did you in the MDR? Did you ask for a special menu?

I had a gastric sleeve last September and went on a cruise this past May and have another planned in 2 weeks. My stomach holds very small amounts, probably 1/3 of what is typically on the plate. I had to pace myself. Not eat bread, or the entire soup appetizer. I concentrated on the proteins and usually had a bite or two of fruit, some vegetables and one bite of dessert. Got asked several times if my food was to my satisfaction, which I knew was because I ate so little, but I would just answer that I had stomach surgery and have a small stomach. My boyfriend gained 10 pounds on the cruise because he ate his serving and most of mine. I still continued to lose weight. Now down 80 pounds and really looking toward to the next cruise. It is all about portion size and my surgery forces me to cut that portion size down a third. No need for a special menu. You are in control as to what or how much you chose to put in your mouth. Happy Sailing!

Well, I went to the DR for my 2 month check up, all cleared for stage 4 food.

I am looking forward to the cruise, and the changes, I have a business conference to go to next week for 3 days, will have similar food challenges, lost of appetizers at several parties, and then buffet type foods for the other meals, so this will be my "Pre-cruise" dining test.

I am looking forward to both,

for you post surgery people who had the R N Y bypass, I am not having any problems with sugar, or liquid dairy, but if I have anything with even the slightest amount of cheese, sour cream, that type of product on it, I get a slippery slimmy film in my throat, do any of you,

I have good handle on what I can eat, and the amounts, with that one cheesy topic,

If anyone has advise please email me challey57@msn.com no I don't want you to email me saying "don't eat cheese then" Da

We are cruising on the Liberty in October and I plan on trying the Guy burgers, or at least a 1/4 of it

I emailed the Matrad' and he said to email the week prior and he can mark my record so I will get smaller portions, and then when on the ship to meet the first day and go over any other special needs,

I spoke to special needs and with my Dr note can bring on up to 2 cases of water, or other needed drinks that are mentioned on the note.

We are using a handicap room for this cruise for the hand rails in the bathroom, the biggest thing I am seeing now is, after working out I get dizzy at times, some when tired, some when body temp changes like in a shower, so I explained and they moved us to a handicap room and updated my profile.

I am glad to hear there are that many that have had the surgery and sailed, with success.

OP, good luck on your surgery, after you get home from surgery, get up and start walking, it will help a lot. I went to the Dollar store and got some small bowls for portion control, the type a restaurant would serve salsa in, and use them for most meals, I also have some 2 oz ceramic bowls for hot food, now I use them most days to measure my food, in the kitchen, and then put on a normal plate.

You will find your "sure fire safe food" that you know you can eat if all else fails, mine is cold cereal, any kind with a little milk. worst case, I will have a lot of cereal on the cruise,

Sorry for rambling, but this is a topic I can talk about for hours.

I wish you well, this is a decision that will change your life FOR EVER!

Congrats on the best thing you can do for yourself, I had the sleeve(VSG) 5-27-12 and feel GREAT, food is no longer to live for it is something to live on.

Concentrate on protein first some veggies and limited carbs, my nut told me no matter what you eat stay within 3 grams of fat per 100 calories and you will lose weight.

For the first 6 months decaf coffee/tea then regular is ok after that and soda/ carbonation is gone forever, drink plenty of water, crystal light, propel etc.

I started at almost 600lbs so far dropped just short of 300lbs, yesterday I went for a haircut and fit in to a barbers chair for the first time in 20+ years:).

Best of luck, you CAN do it, my brother had the bypass 10 years ago and has maintained proper weight and health so yes it works but you have to work with it.

Message me if you need a friend:cool:

• 1 month later...

I had my bypass 3 cruises ago. I have lost 135 lbs and for the first time got into the pool last year!

I agree with most everyone on here but my best advise is that by the time you go on this cruise, you will know what you can eat and not eat. Everybody is different and each have their own routines. I might be able to eat grapes one time and the next time I eat them I "dump". You just never know.

I also agree that you should just eat what you think you can and just go with the flow of the dinner. Don't be embarresed if you can't eat it all, it is your vacation and you paid for it. You don't need to tell anyone why or what you can have or not have, they are used to people not finishing their meals.

Have fun, relax and go light on the sugar and booze as your tolerence to it changes too.

Let us know how it was when you get back. I'm going on my 6th cruise in 15 days so I will be doing the same thing!

Thank you everyone for all of your responses!!!!

I have my RNY scheduled for next week, so it will certainly be 5 months prior to I set sail. I will certainly be in a routine by that time.

I am looking forward to changing my life and living better, that is for sure!

I set sail on February 23/14 on the Valor!! Looking so forward to it!!

Jen

Thank you everyone for all of your responses!!!!

I have my RNY scheduled for next week, so it will certainly be 5 months prior to I set sail. I will certainly be in a routine by that time.

I am looking forward to changing my life and living better, that is for sure!

I set sail on February 23/14 on the Valor!! Looking so forward to it!!

Jen

Good luck with your surgery. I had mine 3 weeks ago today. It's been going very well for me. I am now off pureed food and I have plenty of leftovers in my fridge, something I never had before. My stomach tells me to stop after about 1/2 cup of food. It looks so small but it feels like I swallowed an entire pan of lasagna! I was hoping this would happen so that food is no longer a temptation. And eating slowly is so important. I found that eat quickly. So you will find that even though you are eating very little you can stretch it out with your fellow diners.

I had my sleeve done in August 2012, and we did a Spring Break cruise in April of 2013. I just ordered food like old times, ate what I wanted, and my 14y/o growing Boy usually ate the rest. There were no funny looks from the waiters or any issues whatsoever. I do not EVER do carbonation, so I always have unsweet Iced Tea and splenda to drink...and about a dozen smuggled margaritas for the whole trip. :p

Congrats on your decision to get healthy. You will always run into those people that can eat a ton of bricks and still not gain any weight. They will look down their noses and say you "cheated". I am rather vocal when I get that response and I know how to shut them down fast. Those are some of the same people that have beast implants, nose jobs, or LIPO, and if it is obvious...I will throw that out there. :D

I have lost 151lbs and am now within 20lbs of goal. It amazes me that now that I am in shape, I get total strangers that see an overweight person and want to snicker at them...and think I will be OK with that. I tend to shut that down pretty quickly too. ;)

• 6 months later...

Great thread! Thanks for the great ideas, everyone. I am having the VSG (sleeve) surgery on 4/23 and going on our next cruise 7/29. The cruise was planned way before the surgery--I had hoped to have the surgery at least a month earlier but with insurance approvals, etc., alas, it was not to be.

At 3 months out, at least I know I will be able to to eat super small portions of most "normal" foods. The idea of ordering soup and an appetizer (or two appetizers) for dinner is a great one! I probably won't be able to eat it all, but at least I won't feel like I am wasting a lot of food.

I am planning to get the waiver so I can bring cases of water onto the ship, as well as protein powder. Caffeine and carbonation are both out of the question for me so I will be bringing my trusty bottles of Mio to add to my water.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice for a newly sleeved cruiser, I'd appreciate any advice you have!

Each person is allowed 2 cases of drinks. Two of those 24 bottle cases of water will probably be plenty. Consider packing a collapsable luggage carrier (like this with 2 bungee cords) to carry your beverages around before boarding. Pack the carrier in your luggage again after your cruise.

On our last cruise I had just started a new drug for my diabeties. Doctor said it was the cheapest stomach reduction surgery without having the surgery. The waiters were not happy in the evening. All I wanted was a baked potato. After the third night it was delivered with various decorations in it.

Sorry to hijack but I have a question about your diabetes medication. I would send a personal message if I could. :(

Is the medication you were taking Victoza? My brother has diabetes and is now on Victoza. It works great for his blood sugar but it made him lose weight and he didn't need to lose weight. He is down to 110 pounds. We don't know how to get him to eat enough. What is it about your medication that made you lose weight. Does it just make you feel full faster?

Edited by CruisinCrow

I will be having Gastric Bypass Surgery about 5 months before I set sail on my next cruise - and I am just wondering if anyone else has had a surgery like that and then travelled on a Carnival Ship. How did you in the MDR? Did you ask for a special menu?

Special menu?

How about self control for all the people with eating concerns.

At 3 months out, at least I know I will be able to to eat super small portions of most "normal" foods. The idea of ordering soup and an appetizer (or two appetizers) for dinner is a great one! I probably won't be able to eat it all, but at least I won't feel like I am wasting a lot of food.

If anyone has any other suggestions or advice for a newly sleeved cruiser, I'd appreciate any advice you have!

I've been sleeved just over 3 years now. At three months out, you are barely going to be able to eat *anything*. Soup and an appetizer is a challenge for me as it is now - you won't be able to get through half the soup if you're lucky. :) But at least there's always something available somewhere, so you can snack when the mood strikes you (if it does at all, since the surgery takes care of that too!)

Good luck!

Special menu?

I'm just making a wild guess here, but I bet you make it a habit to comment on every smoking thread, too. ;) If there is a special menu for "people with eating concerns," so what? Are you the paragon of self-control yourself? I hope you never need special help with a health issue, but if you do, I hope other people won't chastise you for it.

I'm just making a wild guess here, but I bet you make it a habit to comment on every smoking thread, too. ;) If there is a special menu for "people with eating concerns," so what? Are you the paragon of self-control yourself? I hope you never need special help with a health issue, but if you do, I hope other people won't chastise you for it.

I'm sure he has very strong opinions on smuggling liquor on board as well, and isn't afraid to tell people how he feels. :)

Special menu?

The reason people become morbidly obese has little or nothing to do with self control. What if I told you to limit yourself to 100 breaths per day? Think you could do it? The drive to eat is controlled by hormones which excite certain portions of the brain. Not only does hunger not register but you are driven to continue eating because of the excess of these hormones. There are copious amounts of research out there. It might behoove you to read a bit before you comment.

i'm just making a wild guess here, but i bet you make it a habit to comment on every smoking thread, too. ;) if there is a special menu for "people with eating concerns," so what? Are you the paragon of self-control yourself? I hope you never need special help with a health issue, but if you do, i hope other people won't chastise you for it.

like!

I had GB over 7 years ago and have been on 8 cruises since and never gained any weight or had a problem finding the appropriate foods. What you don't find in the MDR, you may find at the buffet. If you are sailing on a ship that has the Mongolian Wok, it's a great option. Bring lots of water and have fun with new experiences! I actually wore a bikini on the last one (not that I should have but I definitely loved having the self confidence to do it!) Enjoy your cruise and your new life :).

Edited by mickide

If you prefer not to give your medical history to the waitstaff, use your bread plate to move over a potion of your entree. Simply say "I had a big lunch!" with a cheerful smile.

Not everyone is comfortable sharing details. If you don't want to be dragged into a conversation about how much you've lost, details of the surgery, how tough/easy it is to live the lifestyle, or how much further you have to go, feel free to keep it as confidential as you like. Nothing kills a party faster than hearing the story of someone's neices-cousins-bosses-daughter who had a terrible experience. :-)

Portion control is something we all deal with. It's so tempting to nibble away at that bread basket until it's empty!

A friend used to quietly 'destroy' food she didn't want to be tempted to finish. She'd savor the few bites she planned to eat, then would put an ice cube in her potatoes or into the roll. She'd dump pepper on the salad, or hot sauce onto the dessert. She wasn't really obvious about it, but it kept her from nibbling while the rest of the group finished.

If you prefer not to give your medical history to the waitstaff, use your bread plate to move over a potion of your entree. Simply say "I had a big lunch!" with a cheerful smile.

Not everyone is comfortable sharing details. If you don't want to be dragged into a conversation about how much you've lost, details of the surgery, how tough/easy it is to live the lifestyle, or how much further you have to go, feel free to keep it as confidential as you like. Nothing kills a party faster than hearing the story of someone's neices-cousins-bosses-daughter who had a terrible experience. :-)

Portion control is something we all deal with. It's so tempting to nibble away at that bread basket until it's empty!

A friend used to quietly 'destroy' food she didn't want to be tempted to finish. She'd savor the few bites she planned to eat, then would put an ice cube in her potatoes or into the roll. She'd dump pepper on the salad, or hot sauce onto the dessert. She wasn't really obvious about it, but it kept her from nibbling while the rest of the group finished.

These are actually really great ideas. My husband is very much over the talk of my surgery and hearing about others so I never mention it, I simply say "It was great, I just don't eat much" and that is usually all it takes. We are both thrilled with the results and while I coach others, I do it privately.

I also don't mind ordering an appetizer and a meal so I can taste each item. However, I only order dessert once on each cruise, I need to taste the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake each cruise LOL. I don't feel like it's waste and I don't want to deprive myself either.

I am 19 months post up sleeve surgery and have been on several cruises since the surgery. The first cruise post op...he gained 10 pounds because of eating what I couldn't. Next cruise I had to make myself eat 1/3 of the soup, otherwise would be too full for the entree. I skipped salad because the water in the veggies filled me up. I skipped bread except for a bite. I usually ended up eating 1/3 of the entire meal including dessert. Otherwise I would be sick. So I learned to be satisfied with tastes of everything. I did not gain one pound on any cruise since my surgery. Sure...I want to eat it all but then I recall how heavy I was (240 lbs) and how I love being a size 12 and 150 lbs. I did manage to eat 1/2 of a Guy's burger without the fries. Yeah....it hurt my stomach but sure did taste good. Next time, only 1/3. I see so many obese folks on the ships, and most people are loading up on food. I would be too, if not for the sleeve procedure. So, just plan to have "bites" of what you like. Amazing how bites of foods can be as satisfying as three plates full. Enjoy your cruise!

I did not have bypass surgery, but over the course of 2 years lost 60 pounds by reducing portion size. I now can only eat small amounts of each serving. For example, I eat half of a salad and an app for dinner or just take a few bites of dinner. Waitstaff have asked & I just say I'm full, or have a small appetite & they're good with it. MDR breakfast has been the most difficult, as I have ordered a half Eggs Benedict or an english muffin and 2 sausage links & they bring the whole regular order.:)

We have done the steakhouse and the chefs' table and we prefer the chefs' table, as the portions are smaller and no one questions why you don't finish something. In the past in the steakhouse, we could take the leftovers back to our cabin, but they no longer allow that. We liked sitting on our balcony & eating cold lamb chops!:)

That is brilliant!

I had a sleeve gastroectomy so similar to a bypass...

I went on a cruise with Royal Caribbean about 6 months after, going to the buffet etc was alright, but I found I had issues in the main dining room. I explained to my waiter I could not each much, but then the cook came out asking why I did not eat much - that really put me off.

A year and a bit later - went with Carnival, absolutely perfect... I have no complaints whatsoever, and did not struggle with anything. When I could not eat my whole meal at dinner, I just explained I was full & that was that.