Wine Package

Debating whether or not to pre-buy the wine package. Does it go up in price if you buy it on the ship?

If there are specific wines that interest you in the package, then wait until you are onboard and can verify that they actually have those wines available.

:)

Taxes will make the price higher if you prepay or buy while still in port.

Is this something you've seen yourself when prepaying? I've not seen it.

I prepurchased the wine package for my upcoming Allure cruise and the only thing that was added was the 15% gratuity, as expected.

I prepurchased the wine package for my upcoming Allure cruise and the only thing that was added was the 15% gratuity, as expected.

That has been my experience as well (and I've purchased the package on all of my RCI cruises in the past 4 yrs). All that is added to the price is the gratuity...which you'd also have added to bottles purchased onboard. I have never paid tax on a pre-paid wine package.

Missed a couple of days and had to go back to Page 7 to find this!

thanks.

We were thinking we'd wait until we see if we bring our two bottles on board. Not sure if we would drink 5 bottles, let alone 7.

Also wasn't sure if we'd like something that wasn't included the package.

At least now I know I've got nothing to lose, and can buy the package on the ship if we don't get around to stopping at a liquor store before we board.

{this is why I like sailing out of PC - I always rent a car, so a few stops along the way are fine. With Everglades - we generally taxi straight to airport - and extra cost for the taxi to pull over at total wines - probably would pay for another bottle bought on board!}

Missed a couple of days and had to go back to Page 7 to find this!

{this is why I like sailing out of PC - I always rent a car, so a few stops along the way are fine. With Everglades - we generally taxi straight to airport - and extra cost for the taxi to pull over at total wines - probably would pay for another bottle bought on board!}

Just a hint....if you start a new thread, you can find your threadb y clicking on user cp on the left in the yellow border. it shows the threads you have subscribed to. Since you started the thread, you can find it there. IF there's nothing right there, click on subscribed threads to open all the threads you started or participated in.

That has been my experience as well (and I've purchased the package on all of my RCI cruises in the past 4 yrs). All that is added to the price is the gratuity...which you'd also have added to bottles purchased onboard. I have never paid tax on a pre-paid wine package.

I mentioned this before but never got much of an answer. My upcoming Panama cruise on Legend we have purchased a wine package. They charged us for the wine package but not for gratuities. Just the flat price listed for the package. Is this because of the destinations or something? Anyone? :confused:

Thanks Sarah - tried that but it says there no threads subscribed to.:confused:

would be nice if you could easily track where you've posted.

A few extra clicks but...

"User CP" >> "Your Profile" >> "Statistics" >> "Find all Posts by xxxx"

I mentioned this before but never got much of an answer. My upcoming Panama cruise on Legend we have purchased a wine package. They charged us for the wine package but not for gratuities. Just the flat price listed for the package. Is this because of the destinations or something? Anyone? :confused:

I know that for sailings in Europe, they have higher prices for the wine package but no added gratuity, presumably because the cost of the gratuity is merely bundled in with the base package price to make it more appealing to those who are not accustomed to paying the additional gratuity. Perhaps the same is true in Central America.

I know that for sailings in Europe, they have higher prices for the wine package but no added gratuity, presumably because the cost of the gratuity is merely bundled in with the base package price to make it more appealing to those who are not accustomed to paying the additional gratuity. Perhaps the same is true in Central America.

I think you hit on the answer. I see my 7 bottle package is $250 for the Panama cruise. I logged into my Explorer cruise and did a mock booking for the 7 bottle package and it is $220 plus $33 for gratuities for a total of $253.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked on the Allure and saw there is no longer a gold, platinum, and diamond wine package? We have been on a couple cruise on freedom and one on explorer and both offered various tiers to the wine package. It is just one package and you choose the # of bottles. Has anybody done the analysis on this package? In the platinum package before you were getting the most bang for the buck by choosing the kendall jackson reserve bottles that were listed at $38 per bottle if you bought them without the package. I don't even see Kendall Jackson on this new package.

Thanks Sarah - tried that but it says there no threads subscribed to.:confused:

would be nice if you could easily track where you've posted.

If you click on User CP and then under where it says no threads subscribed to, there should be a little link under the box that say View Subscribed threads. Try that :-)

I just booked on the Allure and saw there is no longer a gold, platinum, and diamond wine package? We have been on a couple cruise on freedom and one on explorer and both offered various tiers to the wine package. It is just one package and you choose the # of bottles. Has anybody done the analysis on this package? In the platinum package before you were getting the most bang for the buck by choosing the kendall jackson reserve bottles that were listed at $38 per bottle if you bought them without the package. I don't even see Kendall Jackson on this new package.

I've not seen the extensive analysis on the new package that one poster did on the old package. However, there are a couple of wine varieties that we enjoy that are a much better deal in the package now. One that comes to mind is the Mondavi Cab, which goes for $58 outside the package.

The wine package, but have found that, for my taste,are around $30-35, cruise ship prices, and most wines are pop and pour any way, except in the specialty, where they do pour through a cute aerator. Now days we just buy a bottle when needed. After doing some quick math, the price, for us, was about the same as the wine package, maybe a little less.

Another one that's a good value in the package is the Mer Soleil Chardonnay which is $59 by itself. (I wish they included the Mer Soleil "Silver" which is $61, but that one's not on the list.)

Thanks! Good to know there are some expensive bottles on the package. The 7 bottle package on the Allure is $220/7=$31.43. Picking a few of the $50+ bottles will make it a good discount off of the list.

Just off Allure. I usually buy the 7 bottle Gold package and have always been very satisfied with selection and quality. Now, realizing wine is a "taste" thing, I can assure you I will never buy the new "wine and dine" package, again. Poor selection, screw caps and, in my opinion, nasty, cheap wine at extremely inflated prices. I'm used to the inflated prices but not the terrible wine and poor selection. Going on Oasis on the 14th of this month and I will buy by the bottle. The "savings" of the package is not worth it if the stuff is undrinkable. Avoid a red called Spy or Sky. Yuck!

Archived