polo grill

marky63

Polo has incredible Maine lobster! We also had a lovely steak in Polo. Still, our favorite dining venue is Red Ginger followed by Jacques. In terms of a steak in the Terrace Café - it simply is not up to the standards of any fine dining establishment. However, food is very subjective.

thanks for all the input. Seems like opinions vary. We'll give polo a try. Did I read it right, can you order a steak anytime at Terrace Café on Marina

Yes,

but they are not the same steaks as in Polo (i.e. prime - dry aged), IIRC.

There I'd go for the lobster tails and jumbo shrimp myself (among other delicacies) :)

I figured that was the case but I've never heard of Silk Harvest so I couldn't figure out what line you might have been talking about.

But I knew that Oceania has never had a restaurant by that name!

No problem at all, I was just very puzzled!

Mura

Silk Harvest is Celebrity.

A perfectly disgusting name for a restaurant!

Doesn't anyone at Celebrity realize that silk is harvested from WORMS???

turkish-carpet_DSC57422.jpg

LOL, turns out that some people SHOULD have taken the Rug Tour in Istanbul or Ephesus, and didn't....

Yes, Celebrity ... our cruise before Riviera was on Celebrity Solstice so I temporarily had a brain freeze. However, in the case of these 2 restaurants I preferred Silk Harvest (awful name or not ;) ).

But that is the ONLY thing I can think of that was better on Celebrity. As anyone knowing me knows ... I'm like a 16 year old in love (with Oceania) and yes, I can remember back that far!

After 3 cruises on O, we dined in Polo 4 times. Loved it 3 times, filet not cooked as ordered the 4th. Not rare enough I wanted to send it back and eat our entrees separately, so I left the rarest middle portion uneaten. I had filled up on the wonderful crabcake appetizer anyway. We love Toscana, and have eaten there probably 10 times on the 3 cruises. The last night on our most recent cruise, being our third time in Toscana, I was tired of the pasta dishes (even though I enjoyed them all very much). So I ordered the filet -- and it was the best meal of the cruise. Perfectly cooked. As all the posts point out, food is subjective and all restaurants have good nights and not as good nights. And yes, the meat can change based on the animal it comes from. And the beauty of a cruise is that if you really don't like it you can order something else with much less hassle than a restaurant on land. Try something new, share when possible -- family style at Red Ginger was a great idea someone suggested on CC before we sailed on Riviera.

Ah, but after the whole process you have those yummy little boiled worms! Sound appetizing? I read somewhere that eating insects was going to be the NEXT BIG THING in food fads. (probably not in my house, however)

A perfectly disgusting name for a restaurant!

Doesn't anyone at Celebrity realize that silk is harvested from WORMS???

turkish-carpet_DSC57422.jpg

LOL, turns out that some people SHOULD have taken the Rug Tour in Istanbul or Ephesus, and didn't....

And how, really, does this differ substantially from honey, an exudate from an insect? Hmmmm........?

So I guess there wouldn't be much support for O to add an Andrew Zimmern (he of "Bizarre Foods" fame) dining venue!

No. I'm now less than 60 days out from my Mediterranean Riviera cruise and already fantasizing my Polo meal: Warm Fois Gras with Mushrooms bundled in Short Crust Dough served with Port Wine Reduction; Lobster Bisque topped with Morsels of Sauteed Lobster; Free range Iberico de Bellota Pork T-Bone cut; and maybe, the "Polo Quintet" of the Executive Chef's favorite desserts.

Coffee and Vintage Port to follow, of course.

Andrew Zimmer be damned.

maybe, the "Polo Quintet" of the Executive Chef's favorite desserts.

Despite valiant efforts over the course of several cruises, we often find ourselves without the capacity or the stamina to attempt the Quintet.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, may I recommend the delicious and remarkably light Trio of Marshmallows?

025e515a67298f5af3104d6588ec10f7_4010.jpg?dl=1325978902 Served with Caramel, Strawberry and Chocolate sauces, they are a perfect ending to a heavy meal.

We enjoyed the Polo, but for some reason I have never had a steak on a ship, including the 2 Crystal ships or the Riviera that was as tender and flavorful as a steak that one routinely is served at a premium land based steakhouse like Fleming's or The Palm, Del Frisco, Emeril's, etc.

We enjoyed the Polo, but for some reason I have never had a steak on a ship, including the 2 Crystal ships or the Riviera that was as tender and flavorful as a steak that one routinely is served at a premium land based steakhouse like Fleming's or The Palm, Del Frisco, Emeril's, etc.

I doubt that any of the restaurants you mentioned NEED to serve previously frozen beef; cruise ships do not necessarily have that luxury.

Could that be the difference?

Despite valiant efforts over the course of several cruises, we often find ourselves without the capacity or the stamina to attempt the Quintet.

If you find yourself in a similar situation, may I recommend the delicious and remarkably light Trio of Marshmallows?

025e515a67298f5af3104d6588ec10f7_4010.jpg?dl=1325978902 Served with Caramel, Strawberry and Chocolate sauces, they are a perfect ending to a heavy meal.

On our last O cruise we ordered the quintet and split it. On subsequent visits we went with individual choices. It gave us an idea of what we liked.

I doubt that any of the restaurants you mentioned NEED to serve previously frozen beef; cruise ships do not necessarily have that luxury.

Could that be the difference?

That might just be the case and perhaps different preparation methods.

Archived