Revised Smoking Policy

cruzmaven

While the percentage of people who smoke continues to decline, and while the scientific evidence of the health hazard of second-hand smoke continues to increase, Seabourn decides to keep its corporate head firmly stuck in the sand. There is a very easy solution -- put an enclosed smoking room on every ship and designate the aft section of an outside deck for smokers. Failure to do these things indicates a disrespect for the vast majority of Seabourn passengers and for the health risks of their employees. This will come back to bite them one day.

While the percentage of people who smoke continues to decline, and while the scientific evidence of the health hazard of second-hand smoke continues to increase, Seabourn decides to keep its corporate head firmly stuck in the sand. There is a very easy solution -- put an enclosed smoking room on every ship and designate the aft section of an outside deck for smokers. Failure to do these things indicates a disrespect for the vast majority of Seabourn passengers and for the health risks of their employees. This will come back to bite them one day.

Actually Dave, cigarette smoking has actually increased over 34% among those who smoke between 1 and 9 cigarettes per day, in the US according to the quote below from the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Further, per the below, nearly 20% of adults smoke cigarettes. Add to that people who smoke pipes and cigars (like myself) and your probably looking at about a third of the US population who smoke. I wouldn't expect Canada to be much different.

So, all should understand that smokers are not the small minority that some people think and that (sadly in the case of cigarettes) the trend is increasing and this from an onslaught of countless programs trying to change the trend.

"Current Cigarette Smoking Among Adults — United States, 2011

Weekly

November 9, 2012 / 61(44);889-894

Tobacco use remains the single largest preventable cause of death and disease in the United States. According to the 2010 U.S. Surgeon General's report, approximately 443,000 U.S. adults die from smoking-related illnesses each year (1). In addition, smoking has been estimated to cost the United States $96 billion in direct medical expenses and $97 billion in lost productivity annually (2). To assess progress toward the Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) objective to reduce cigarette smoking by adults (objective TU-1.1),* CDC's Office on Smoking and Health used data from the 2011 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) to estimate current national cigarette smoking prevalence. The findings indicate that 19.0% of adults smoked cigarettes in 2011 and no statistically significant change in current adult smoking prevalence occurred from 2010 (19.3%) to 2011 (19.0%). The proportion of those who smoked 1–9 CPD increased significantly, from 16.4% to 22.0%."

Yes, smoking is a dying habit; but it may be some time until Seabourn sees no economic advantage in pandering to this proclivity.

Interesting that on other lines that have dedicated smoking rooms and have tightened smoking policy there are allegedly complaints from smokers that the rooms are too smoky! Biter bitten.

Actually Dave, cigarette smoking has actually increased over 34% among those who smoke between 1 and 9 cigarettes per day, in the US according to the quote below from the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC). Further, per the below, nearly 20% of adults smoke cigarettes. Add to that people who smoke pipes and cigars (like myself) and your probably looking at about a third of the US population who smoke. I wouldn't expect Canada to be much different.

So, all should understand that smokers are not the small minority that some people think and that (sadly in the case of cigarettes) the trend is increasing and this from an onslaught of countless programs trying to change the trend.

Weekly

Tobacco use remains the single largest preventable cause of death and disease in the United States. According to the 2010 U.S. Surgeon General's report, approximately 443,000 U.S. adults die from smoking-related illnesses each year (1). In addition, smoking has been estimated to cost the United States $96 billion in direct medical expenses and $97 billion in lost productivity annually (2). To assess progress toward the Healthy People 2020 (HP2020) objective to reduce cigarette smoking by adults (objective TU-1.1),* CDC's Office on Smoking and Health used data from the 2011 National Health Interview Survey (NHIS) to estimate current national cigarette smoking prevalence. The findings indicate that 19.0% of adults smoked cigarettes in 2011 and no statistically significant change in current adult smoking prevalence occurred from 2010 (19.3%) to 2011 (19.0%). The proportion of those who smoked 1–9 CPD increased significantly, from 16.4% to 22.0%."

Fair enough --22% of Americans smoke cigarettes and that is up. But that doesn't change the fact that second-hand smoke is dangerous and needs to be contained and safely released. Enclosed and properly ventilated smoking lounges are an effective solution. I do not want to deny smokers an opportunity to engage in their pleasure. I just want to ensure it doesn't impact me and others who want to avoid it.

Fair enough --22% of Americans smoke cigarettes and that is up. But that doesn't change the fact that second-hand smoke is dangerous and needs to be contained and safely released. Enclosed and properly ventilated smoking lounges are an effective solution. I do not want to deny smokers an opportunity to engage in their pleasure. I just want to ensure it doesn't impact me and others who want to avoid it.

Dave, SHS is definitely an issue, agree 100% My main point was that those here who would believe "We'll wait them out and they'll just die," they should acquaint themselves with the facts. It appears smokers are going nowhere and the trend is more, not less.

zich6, I would like to see the educational and socioeconomic levels of those who are taking up smoking.

You may have a point that they're not SB sailors. That said, as has been said, those below the Equator tend to have higher rates and their SB occupancy is increasing.

Weekly

Certainly in the UK( and I would guess also in USA) smoking is strongly correlated with socio economic class and age. Given that Seabourn customers are generally from a high socio economic class and are ( to put it politely) of more mature years, the percentage of smokers wil be less than for the population as a whole . This seems to be borne out by anecdotal evidence suggesting perhaps no more than10 or so smokers on the big sisters. In this context, smokers are a small minority. It is to be hoped that the new permissive smoking regime on Seabourn ships will not attract more smokers who have jumped ship from other lines because of their enlightened smoking policies.

Keep stomping feet. And quoting statistics. When they come to smoking, the anti-smoking stats seem to dominate without much reasoning. Put another way, substitute fat for smoking.

There are still people who smoke. Yes, we try not to bother others. And we especially hate it when otherwise reasonable people forget all manners and go nuts (in most cases, their mothers smoked while they were pregnant yet still delivered children who are here making noise).

There is the safety issue of verandas. No one mentioned the beach towels hanging on the Princess balcony. Then there are the ashtray thieves who leave smokers little choice where to extinguish the butts. But the alleged smell from cabins.

We could argue the benefit of early deaths on the whole economy. But we won't.

The policy is what it is. Let's see how it works.

Keep stomping feet. And quoting statistics. When they come to smoking, the anti-smoking stats seem to dominate without much reasoning. Put another way, substitute fat for smoking.

There are still people who smoke. Yes, we try not to bother others. And we especially hate it when otherwise reasonable people forget all manners and go nuts (in most cases, their mothers smoked while they were pregnant yet still delivered children who are here making noise).

There is the safety issue of verandas. No one mentioned the beach towels hanging on the Princess balcony. Then there are the ashtray thieves who leave smokers little choice where to extinguish the butts. But the alleged smell from cabins.

We could argue the benefit of early deaths on the whole economy. But we won't.

Quite difficult to follow the logic here. But it does seem to make a powerful case for not smoking.

I am assuming that we met on our most recent cruise. We enjoyed this cruise very much and hope that you did also. Not sure what the Texas realtors had to do with it. We were with our friends from Texas and Colorado and had a wonderful time.

Received the following reply from Seabourn :

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise line in order to share your valuable feedback regarding the recent changes to our smoking policy onboard our ships. We will pass your email along to our management, so that they are aware of your sentiments and may take them into consideration as we move forward.

After reading the response Nowornever received I am totally underwhelmed! Wonder what the rep who wrote their reply had been smoking ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Received the following reply from Seabourn :

Thank you for contacting Seabourn Cruise line in order to share your valuable feedback regarding the recent changes to our smoking policy onboard our ships. We will pass your email along to our management, so that they are aware of your sentiments and may take them into consideration as we move forward.

After reading the response Nowornever received I am totally underwhelmed! Wonder what the rep who wrote their reply had been smoking ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes what a weedy response.:o Sort of code for visit your local taxidermist.

This is not to add to the smoking/health/socioeconomic discussion; rather, it is my practical reaction to experience as a frequent cruiser on luxury lines---

Perhaps I have dulled senses, but I have never been particularly bothered by smoke on balconies...seems there is usually sufficient breeze to keep things fresh.

On the other hand, on Regent, Silversea, and Oceania, the pool deck smoking areas and the smoking areas outside lounges have frequently been messy, crowded, and smoky....often spill over beyond their "borders".

I find smoking to be less annoying to nonsmokers on Seabourn.

Talked recently to a Seabourn Rep about new smoking policy to be sure I understood it.

Me - "Wont stopping people smoking in suites drive them onto the balconies?"

SB Rep - "Yes, and there's a fire hazard, you know"

Out of the mouths of babes...:(

Archived