Revised Smoking Policy

cruzmaven

I have been sending copies of the new policy to my friends. It is so convoluted (IMO) that I had to make a note in the subject so they would know that it was not a joke.

This is a policy? Really? Maybe it is only a policy on the starboard side of the ship, when people are not eating and when the policy includes (or doesn't include) bar stools:confused:

Not trying to be mean...... just think this is one of the funniest policies I have read on CruiseCritic.

I just got this e-mail from SB. I think this will be easier to read:

Dear Seabourn Spirit Guest,

We hope you are looking forward to your upcoming cruise. During the past year, we have surveyed our guests and their travel agents about our smoking policies on board. This feedback has resulted in changes to our onboard smoking policies that will better align us with consumer trends and which are being made for the comfort and convenience of all our guests. We are writing to give you advance notice of those changes. They will be implemented beginning with cruises embarking on the Spirit on or after February 1, 2014. To simplify the new policies, we state them separately below:

On All Seabourn Ships:

Cigarette smoking is no longer permitted in guest suites aboard our ships. Smoking of electronic cigarettes is permitted in guest suites.

Smoking of water-pipes, glass-pipes or other smoking devices is not permitted on board.

On Seabourn Pride, Spirit & Legend:

Smoking is not permitted on the balconies of guest suites (Categories B2 and B3). Smoking is permitted on the private verandas of guest suites in Categories CS and OW.

Inside smoking of cigarettes is permitted in the port-side half of the forward observation lounge on Deck 8 after 8 PM.

Outside smoking of cigarettes, cigars and pipes is permitted on the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 8, including the bar stools, except during luncheon and dinner service in that location.

On Seabourn Odyssey, Sojourn & Quest:

Inside smoking of cigarettes will be permitted in the port-side half of the Observation Bar on Deck 10 after 8 PM.

Outside smoking of cigarettes is permitted:

• On the verandas of guest suites.

• On the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 9 including the bar stools.

• On the starboard half of the open terrace aft of The Club on Deck 5.

Outside smoking of cigarettes, pipes and cigars is permitted on the open terrace aft of Seabourn Square of Deck 7. This is the only area on board where pipe and cigar smoking is permitted.

The revised policy is posted on our website in the section entitled FAQs under the heading "Plan a Cruise." It will also be printed in the daily Seabourn Herald on board all Seabourn ships.

We thank those of you who have taken the time to let us know your opinions about our smoking policies. ImageProxy.mvc?bicild=&canary=GgCkqRjun2jPvnKBKzS6CElZ2WuHPPLPO3G6S2yRjWQ%3d0&url=http%3a%2f%2fmedia.hollandamerica.com%2fSeabourn%2fitk%2fgraphics%2fspacer_10x10.gif

I also received the e-mail today re our Feb2014 cruise on Odyssey.

I have already e-mailed the office of the President of Seabourn underlining my "surprise and disappointment" at the smoking on verandas issue. Yes, I would also like it banned in the Observation Bar but the veranda issue is by far the most intrusive one for me.

Please, if you feel the same, e-mail Seabourn .............. if enough of us loyal Seabournites make our feelings known there may be time to revise the Revised Smoking Policy (& pigs may fly ;-))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trying, with my tiny brain, to work out all the convolutions of this ludicrous new policy, it looks to me as if smoking is now allowed on all of the deck aft of the Square, whereas before it was only on the extreme starboard side? We have endured cigar smokers there, but if you were on the extreme port side did not really notice them.

Trying, with my tiny brain, to work out all the convolutions of this ludicrous new policy, it looks to me as if smoking is now allowed on all of the deck aft of the Square, whereas before it was only on the extreme starboard side? We have endured cigar smokers there, but if you were on the extreme port side did not really notice them.

Yes, I noticed that too. That deck is a particularly nice one but, it would appear, it could become effectively off limits to non-smokers. As I have already stated, the new policy is considerably worse than the old policy.

Well it appears that Seabourn has scored an "own goal" now that we all understand the fine print of the new smoking policy. Why is that? Neither smokers nor non-smokers are happy.

As a member of the latter group I vote for no smoking on verandas, a rollback on allowing smoking on the entire deck behind Seabourn square so it's back to the starboard side only (why spoil the whole deck for non-smokers?!), and no more smoking anytime in the Observation Bar which is an indoor area after all.

Happy sailing!

As I have already stated, the new policy is considerably worse than the old policy.

Could not agree more. So disappointing.

It beggars belief that this new policy is a result of customer feedback. This would overwhelmingly be in favour of a more restrictive policy than the more permissive one proposed. Anyone have access to the survey?

Cynics might suggest that this is an attempt to attract smokers displaced from other Cruise Lines that have modified their smoking policies to better chime with the wishes of the majority of customers who are non smokers.

As to no longer allowing smoking in staterooms, this has economic advantages for Seabourn insofar as there should no longer be the need for deep cleaning.

And the up to 8pm moratorium in the Observation Lounge? A minor concession. It will still stink like a used ashtray and the staff will still suffer the consequences of second hand smoke.

Will now be reconsidering our plans to sail Seabourn next year. Are we alone?

I have not been contacted for feedback and have more than 300 days.

Anyone else?

Happy sailing!

I have not been contacted, with over 200 days. I wonder if the only contact they have made is with the person who spends most of their time on Seabourn, and smokes most of the time? You can actually smell the smoke up at the back outside the Colonnade, sometimes, as it drifts upwards from the back of the Square.

I will send an email, hope everyone does.

Not to cause a kerfuffle, but there may be many more smokers than people think who made their preferences known, as well.

As to the apparent lack of surveying of the pax, I see no evidence that SB has done this in the past, so I'm not surprised. As always with publically traded companies, money rules. Obviously SB doesn't think their new policy will impact their bottom line.

It's clear, to me anyway, that SB was aware of pax comments, many of which probably had suggestions and then they tried to achieve a balance.

I'm reminded of the old saying: "a donkey is a horse designed by a committee."

Zich6 - in all our over 200 days we have never been on a ship with more than a very few smokers - it is just that those few make a large impact on everyone else. Average probably 5 on the small ships, maybe 8 or 10 on the large ships. If they tried to 'achieve a balance' I think they have failed miserably. Have just sent off my email to them, saying there should be no smoking indoors or on verandas, just a couple of places outside. I have a feeling that the increased numbers of pax from South America may make a difference; more of them smoke (as well as coming in for dinner at 9 p.m., and SB could be encouraging them.

Zich6 - in all our over 200 days we have never been on a ship with more than a very few smokers - it is just that those few make a large impact on everyone else. Average probably 5 on the small ships, maybe 8 or 10 on the large ships. If they tried to 'achieve a balance' I think they have failed miserably. Have just sent off my email to them, saying there should be no smoking indoors or on verandas, just a couple of places outside. I have a feeling that the increased numbers of pax from South America may make a difference; more of them smoke (as well as coming in for dinner at 9 p.m., and SB could be encouraging them.

As Mariner has said, I too think there is a large population of secret smokers who may have made their wishes known, as well. Also, knowing how vociferous the anti crowd is here, I think many smokers on this board who remain silent because they don't want the grief and add to that the overwhelming majority of SB sailors who've never hear of this site and you have many more smokers contacting SB than was anticipated.

Lastly, there's the "Orwell" factor. Based on what I've heard from people here about a lady smoker who practically "lives" on SB and you have a situation where "All animals are created equal but some are more equal than others."

On our recent 21 day cruise, I overheard one lady tell several crew members that this would be her last Seabourn cruise because of the restricted smoking on board. This was before the new guidelines were posted. We counted fewer than ten smokers on our trip, but they had a huge effect on other passengers (esp in Ob Bar). I placed a call on Monday to Guest Services and my husband sent an email. Neither have been returned.

I'm guessing that they are now allowing smoking in the Observation Lounge after 8PM in order to keep it smoke free for drinks before dinner. Do they think that we are not supposed to breathe after dinner?

Perhaps if enough people showed up with oxygen tanks and regulators after dinner they might get the idea?:D

It strikes me as bizarre that Seabourne cannot set aside an area equivalent to Silversea's Connoisseurs Club where smokers can puff away in an enclosed, properly ventilated area. Add to that an outdoor area aft from where the smoke will disappear wakewards and you have happy smokers, and non-smokers who will really have to try very hard to get affected.

after I e-mailed them to thank them for taking a good first step & urging them to issue further restrictions in the near (very near) future. Apparently they thought I was ultra excited about this very minor change...or this rep. may have had an extra espresso this a.m.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Seabourn. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback regarding the changes that have been made to our smoking policy.

We feel a very special appreciation for our valued Seabourn Club Members and input from our guests was utilized in modifying the policy. Your feedback will be forwarded to our management team for our continued improvement.

It is gratifying to know that our valued Club Members are as excited about these changes as we are, and we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard next year.

after I e-mailed them to thank them for taking a good first step & urging them to issue further restrictions in the near (very near) future. Apparently they thought I was ultra excited about this very minor change...or this rep. may have had an extra espresso this a.m.

Thank you for your recent correspondence with Seabourn. We are delighted to hear your positive feedback regarding the changes that have been made to our smoking policy.

We feel a very special appreciation for our valued Seabourn Club Members and input from our guests was utilized in modifying the policy. Your feedback will be forwarded to our management team for our continued improvement.

It is gratifying to know that our valued Club Members are as excited about these changes as we are, and we appreciate the time you took to share your thoughts with us. We look forward to welcoming you back onboard next year.

Back patting in the extreme. I'll bet he's bruised.

Who could fail to be excited by the excitingly more permissive and retrograde excitingly exciting new exciting smoking policy? Certainly not the very small minority of clearly very highly valued Club members and Guests who smoke.

For we not very highly valued Club members who do not wish to be exposed to second hand smoke there will be many more exciting and challenging opportunities to try to avoid inhaling dangerous carcinogens. How about a special sealed room for non smokers where we can enjoy our addiction to clean air without affecting smokers?

Or respirators for use when sitting on our verandahs?

This new policy is an exciting breath of fresh air - not :(

Archived