Revised Smoking Policy

cruzmaven

Seaborne becomes the 3rd CCL brand to revise its smoking policy.

From the website:

REVISED SMOKING POLICY BEGINNING

Seabourn Pride: February 2, 2014

Seabourn Spirit: February 1, 2014

Seabourn Legend: February 3, 2014

Seabourn Odyssey: February 11, 2014

Seabourn Sojourn: May 1, 2014

Seabourn Quest: March 22, 2014

For the comfort of all guests, most public areas on board, as well as guest suites are smoke-free. Cigarette smoking is permitted in the following areas:

ON ALL SEABOURN SHIPS:

Smoking of electronic cigarettes is permitted in guest suites. Smoking of water-pipes, glass-pipes or other smoking devices is not permitted on board.

ON SEABOURN PRIDE, SPIRIT & LEGEND:

Smoking is permitted on the private verandas of guest suites in Categories CS and OW (Smoking is not permitted on the balconies of B category suites).

Inside smoking of cigarettes is permitted in the port-side half of the forward observation lounge on Deck 8 after 8 PM.

Outside smoking of cigarettes, cigars and pipes is permitted on the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 8, including the bar stools, except during luncheon and dinner service in that location.

ON SEABOURN ODYSSEY, SOJOURN & QUEST:

Inside smoking of cigarettes will be permitted in the port-side half of the Observation Bar on Deck 10 after 8 PM.

Outside smoking of cigarettes is permitted:

On the verandas of guest suites

On the starboard half of the Sky Bar on Deck 9 including the bar stools

On the starboard half of the open terrace aft of The Club on Deck 5

Outside smoking of cigarettes, pipes and cigars is permitted on the open terrace aft of Seabourn Square of Deck 7. This is the only area on board where pipe and cigar smoking is permitted.

Guests are asked to refrain from smoking pipes and cigars anywhere inside the ship, including in guest suites, on verandas and balconies. If you have any doubts about any area, please consult your onboard staff.

Any guest who smokes inside staterooms in violation of our policy will be charged a US$250 cleaning fee per day of violation.

Kind of confusing.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you, Seabourn, and congratulations to all those who have contributed their time with correspondence here and to Seabourn directly about the need for an upgrade to the former policy. Well done!

Happy Sailing!

This is a step in the right direction but why 8pm for the Observation Bar? My wife and I do enjoy a drink after dinner in the Observation Bar, invariably we have to go down to the Club most nights as the smell of cigarette smoke permeates the entire Observation Bar. Also allowing smokers the right to use the bar stools on Deck 9 (not mentioned in previous policy) is a retrograde step IMHO.

I actually think this is worse than the old policy. Banning smoking in staterooms just means that smokers will use their verandas more. And, if you happen to be next door to a smoker, good luck enjoying your veranda.

Why all the different time frames?:confused:

Sojourn completes WC.

Veranda could be a problem, but that is traded for smoke free hallway.

Observation news is great for the early to bed crowd. Most of all, it stalls for more time to do the right thing.

Oregon50,

Right you are. Like any new policy it will take time to bed down so people can experience and consider its relative advantages. Further refinements will probably follow but Seabourn had to start with this welcome revision.

Happy sailing!

Sojourn completes WC.

Veranda could be a problem, but that is traded for smoke free hallway.

Observation news is great for the early to bed crowd. Most of all, it stalls for more time to do the right thing.

I don't spend much time in the hallway. I do spend time on the Veranda.

All Cruise Lines should ban smoking on the Verandah.

It is quite dangerous.

Didn't the fire on the Princess Ship a few years ago occur because of smoking? If not, it is still a hazard plus it is very bothersome to anyone using a nearby verandah.

Keith

All Cruise Lines should ban smoking on the Verandah.

It is quite dangerous.

Didn't the fire on the Princess Ship a few years ago occur because of smoking? If not, it is still a hazard plus it is very bothersome to anyone using a nearby verandah.

Keith

I'm surprised the insurance companies didn't tell the lines they wouldn't cover them for that after the Princess fire.

I'm with Roxburgh on this! I've never smelt smoke in a hallway on the big sisters .............

Would def have preferred a ban on the balconies!

Go on Seabourn ........ take the next step

And why wait till next year?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Although this is definitely a step in the right direction, Seabourn continues to be much more smoker friendly (non-smoker unfriendly?) than other premium lines. Allowing any smoking in the Observation Lounge is particularly problematic due to the low ceiling and the fact that one or two smokers can succeed in filling the entire room with high levels of smoke. This was definitely the case on our recently completed three week cruise on the Sojourn.

It seems that everyone would benefit if Seabourn would just go ahead and implement a ban on all indoor and veranda smoking immediately. If they feel that they must cater to the small number of guests who smoke, they should consider an enclosed indoor smoking area like Regent has done. This would provide smokers with a place of their own without subjecting others to unpleasant and unhealthy conditions.

...is that smoking was more restricted than this new policy. I remember avoiding cigar smoke at the poolside & pool overlook bars & being annoyed by it, & cannot imagine why Seabourn would allow smoking on verandas.

I worked in my garden yesterday & was huffing on my inhaler because of pollen. Can't imagine filling my lungs with fresh sea air that's filled with tobacco smoke on my favorite cruise line when there's no pollen around.

Smoking on cruise ships is an inconvenience to MOST passengers....full stop.

It seems that CCL cares more about passengers on Cunard than Seabourn as evidenced by this recent change to the smoking policy on Cunard:

"Following feedback from our guests and the results of recent customer research, smoking will no longer be permitted on stateroom balconies. Smoking is currently not permitted in staterooms or public areas but the new policy will continue to permit smoking in designated areas of the open deck.

This change has been for the safety and comfort of our guests and means that all guests will be able to enjoy full use of their private balconies without the effect of drifting smoke."

So while they acknowledge that guests aboard Cunard ships can now use their balconies "without the effect of drifting smoke," there is no similar concern for what they must consider the second-class passengers on Seabourn.

It seems that CCL cares more about passengers on Cunard than Seabourn as evidenced by this recent change to the smoking policy on Cunard:

"Following feedback from our guests and the results of recent customer research, smoking will no longer be permitted on stateroom balconies. Smoking is currently not permitted in staterooms or public areas but the new policy will continue to permit smoking in designated areas of the open deck.

This change has been for the safety and comfort of our guests and means that all guests will be able to enjoy full use of their private balconies without the effect of drifting smoke."

So while they acknowledge that guests aboard Cunard ships can now use their balconies "without the effect of drifting smoke," there is no similar concern for what they must consider the second-class passengers on Seabourn.

Sadly, to quote a bad movie, "It's all about the benjamins".

What I find funny are the number of secret smokers. You have no idea how many times one will ask for a cigarette or ask me to lay claim on theirs if someone they knows comes by.

I guess they never kiss their spouses.

Unless their spouses (or partners) surreptitiously smoke as well.

Archived