New Carry-on size rules??

lsok

"PennyAgain;39639190]Yes they do look over bags at security in British airports. There is no arguing allowed.

If they say your bag is too big, discussion is finished."

Interestingly enough, I spoke with an American Air international rep this morning. Our flight initiates in San Diego, with an AA flight number, on a commuter plane. As several posters acknowledged, we do have to either gate check or valet our carry on luggage that won't fit in overhead bins.

I specifically asked her about whether or not my 22" roll aboard, which does fit in AA size frame, will be turned away by British Air at T. Bradley international. She said that all of their partner airlines have agreed on the size of allowable carry-ons and I should not have a problem. In fact she looked up the BA size vs. the AA size. BA is 50 linear inches and American is 45 inches. She assured me that when the agent sees that we were OK to check through in San Diego, they will not question our bags.

I'm still going to check out the size frame at the airport, since it seems like the problem was encountered in London at BA??

I'm glad you had that chat, but I've had different experiences with BA carry on bags' sizes.

I think to no small degree the appearance of your bag matters as well as the size.

The checkers at LHR make very rapid decisions without measuring so if your bag looks too big.....they reject it.

I gave up using a carry on bags with wheels because I couldn't take any more carry on baggage stress.

You will be going through the USA TSA at Tom Bradley Int. Terminal so you won't have the folks at LHR making those decisions for you as your trip begins.

The people in the gate area of your departing flights to watch for oversize bags but are not the fierce folks that they have at LHR.

Update-- Husband took Costco carry on suitcases to airport two days ago-they fit inside the measuring frame. He spoke with American rep who said that our 22" (which measure at least 23" with wheels) suitcases would be just fine to carry on our British Air flight as long as we don't open the expansion zipper. They also said that British Air lines measurements are actually more lenient than American's--50 linear inches instead of 45.

Wonder if I can get that in writing when we check in:o

Update-- Husband took Costco carry on suitcases to airport two days ago-they fit inside the measuring frame. He spoke with American rep who said that our 22" (which measure at least 23" with wheels) suitcases would be just fine to carry on our British Air flight as long as we don't open the expansion zipper. They also said that British Air lines measurements are actually more lenient than American's--50 linear inches instead of 45.

Wonder if I can get that in writing when we check in:o

It would be nice if you can get it in writing, but experience tells me that BA goes its own way. Correct on not using the expansion space on those bags.

Remember to have your valuables, medicines and critical items in a separate bag that you can pull out of your carry on if push comes to shove.

I have some long time issues with BA including the fact that twice all of the meals served had shell fish (I'm very allergic to shell fish). To me it makes no sense at all to have shell fish for all in case of one the pilots might develop a sudden allergy, but it doesn't seem to enter in to the thinking of those who order the BA catering.

To me it makes no sense at all to have shell fish for all in case of one the pilots might develop a sudden allergy, but it doesn't seem to enter in to the thinking of those who order the BA catering.
Paging Arthur Hailey!!

Perhaps we need a marathon screening of Flight Into Danger, followed by Zero Hour, then Terror in the Sky, ending with....of course, AIRPLANE. ;)

Amazing how the same story (and the same characters, down to the names) got recycled again and again. But don't call me Shirley.

I assumed, since our flights are all ticketed through British Air, that we check in for our international flight in San Diego, even though it is a commuter plane, the carry on bags would be "gate checked" and we would get our bags back as we exited the commuter flight at LAX. Then proceed, without exiting the terminal and needing to go through security again, on to our international flight. Perhaps I am incorrect--will need to check it out.

I think you have to make sure that one more of your assumptions is correct. Unless you are landing in the same terminal as you are leaving from - the chances are extremely high that you are going to have to go through security again when entering the International terminal. Unless your entire way over is enclosed and controlled by TSA .....

have a great time and I hope you are not too exhausted to enjoy the first couple of days.

-Holly

You are correct--we do have to go "street side" at LAX and go through security again. We do have 2 1/2 hours to do so. I was told that our international check in wil be in San Diego so hopefully we will already have our boarding passes.

Was also assured there would be no problem with our carry on suitcases once approved in San Diego. Guess we will find out for sure in a few weeks!

You are correct--we do have to go "street side" at LAX and go through security again. We do have 2 1/2 hours to do so. I was told that our international check in wil be in San Diego so hopefully we will already have our boarding passes.

Was also assured there would be no problem with our carry on suitcases once approved in San Diego. Guess we will find out for sure in a few weeks!

Since you will only pass security in London and not checkin I can't see a problem there with your luggage. The security personnel have no where to send you if they think that your bag is too big.

Dear Flyertalker, but I am telling the truth about my issues with shell fish! That and the perpetual shortage of ICE on BA flights adds up to irritation for me.

To expand on Flyertalker's comment, your pilot comment is urban legend/melodrama. Flight crew members do not eat or drink the same things as a precaution...and on long flights there's a second crew.

I do sympathize that you're allergic to shellfish but IMHO it's your responsiblity to request a special meal, not BA's. (If you did that and it wasn't provided, then agree it's a bad on BA).

Paging Arthur Hailey!!

Perhaps we need a marathon screening of Flight Into Danger, followed by Zero Hour, then Terror in the Sky, ending with....of course, AIRPLANE. ;)

Amazing how the same story (and the same characters, down to the names) got recycled again and again. But don't call me Shirley.

Shirley you can't be serious.

No shellfish allergy, and no fish allergy in the original book. Both pilots chose (wait for it), the meat (not the fish) and both suffer from food poisoning, not allergies

We are cruising Princess from Venice and will be flying KLM from Amsterdam to Venice. Both Delta and KLM say that carry on bags must be no more than a sum total of 45 inches BUT KLM defines the individual dimensions differently. KLM says bags can be no more than 21.5 in long by 10 in wide by 13.5 hi. US Carriers define length as 22 inches. Anyone know if the foreign carrier will accept a bag of US dimensions as long as the total does not exceed 45 inches??

I am really going to try and find a carry on the meets KLM standards, but all I have seen in Advertising is "22 inches"!

I am really going to try and find a carry on the meets KLM standards, but all I have seen in Advertising is "22 inches"!

There are a TON of smaller sized carry-ons out there. Remember, in general, the cheaper the bag, the more likely it has wheels and feet and handles that poke out and put it over the dimensions.

Look for a 19 or 20 inch model. Tumi has some, as does Victorinox.

Since you will only pass security in London and not checkin I can't see a problem there with your luggage. The security personnel have no where to send you if they think that your bag is too big.

There was a cart where security was putting oversize bags and 'extra' carryon bags (only one carryon allowed, no personal items) to be checked in.

There was a cart where security was putting oversize bags and 'extra' carryon bags (only one carryon allowed, no personal items) to be checked in.

Absolutely true!

I've had the 'education' at LHR many times to the point where I have a small carry on without wheels and put everything I can into my to-be-checked luggage.

There is no 'opting out' at security at LHR. You either do it all or you don't fly. You have to go through whatever scanner they put in front of you. Period.

You have to take LHR very seriously. I've seen Americans argue and argue and it ends up changing nothing at all. I always allow plenty of time to make sure I am finished with security plenty ahead of the time I need to be at my airplane's gate.

Are you sure that you mean the transfer security and not the security after check-in? When flying British Airways carryon AND personal item is allowed so I really doubt that they look for that at Heathrow.

Are you sure that you mean the transfer security and not the security after check-in? When flying British Airways carryon AND personal item is allowed so I really doubt that they look for that at Heathrow.

Yes, I am talking about transfer security. We were coming from a BA flight from Marseilles France and transferring to a BA flight to USA. Many of the people transferring from our flight to others had to give their carryons to the security guard at the cart to be tagged with luggage tags and then checked. Either the carryon was larger than LHR allowed or the person had a second item, a 'personal' item and it was being counted as a carryon so one of the two had to be checked.

The security people were only allowing one item as a carryon. They were not allowing any personal items additional to the carryon. I had a small fanny-type purse and had to squeeze it inside my backpack before I was allowed to continue. Another lady, who had a large purse that wouldn't fit inside her carryon, was taking some valuables out of her carryon and putting them in her purse to give the carryon for checking and keeping her purse as her one allowed carryon.

None of us had this problem with carry on's when boarding BA in Marseilles so I can only surmise it was a LHR rule.

This was my personal experience with BA at LHR, so be prepared in case you run into the same kind of security personnel when transferring flights in the international terminal at LHR.

Yes, I am talking about transfer security. We were coming from a BA flight from Marseilles France and transferring to a BA flight to USA. Many of the people transferring from our flight to others had to give their carryons to the security guard at the cart to be tagged with luggage tags and then checked. Either the carryon was larger than LHR allowed or the person had a second item, a 'personal' item and it was being counted as a carryon so one of the two had to be checked.

The security people were only allowing one item as a carryon. They were not allowing any personal items additional to the carryon. I had a small fanny-type purse and had to squeeze it inside my backpack before I was allowed to continue. Another lady, who had a large purse that wouldn't fit inside her carryon, was taking some valuables out of her carryon and putting them in her purse to give the carryon for checking and keeping her purse as her one allowed carryon.

None of us had this problem with carry on's when boarding BA in Marseilles so I can only surmise it was a LHR rule.

This was my personal experience with BA at LHR, so be prepared in case you run into the same kind of security personnel when transferring flights in the international terminal at LHR.

It must have been something special when you were there!

This is from BAs website:

56cm x 45cm x 25cm

(22in x 18in x 10in)

Must fit into the baggage gauge on display in the check-in area

45cm x 36cm 20cm

(18in x 14in x8in)

Must fit under a standard economy seat

The first is the carryon and the second is the "personal item". Did they looked at your boardingpass? I have never seen anything like what you explain so it must have been something special thay day!

I have been flying in out London Heathrow / City numerous times, business class with high level mileage priority status

There are no "fixed" rules. No matter what website info says, security and airlines can and do adjust rules on an "as needed" basis. This can be due to a higher terrorism alert or size of aircraft or whatever bug is flying around. Security is taken very seriously in London and they can overrule any airline allowances. I have had any variation : - max. 1 bag to be fitted in measuring grid when going through security, including personnel items, and this was for all passengers even for business/first class and irrespective of airline or destination. Or Max 18 lbs when flying British Air inter-Europe and more often they make you leave your bigger bag (anything over lap top size) outside plane, put it in hold and you get it back again at gate.

This does not happen all the time and probably you will be o.k., but just make sure you can rearrange your carry on on short notice and have things you want during flight in small pouch you can take out if necessary.

Another thing I noticed : Screening machines are tuned much finer in London - when I flew on a multistop trip through various European airports with same overnight carry on bag with exactly same contents, my bag was flagged and taken out at London Heathrow, after a lot of rifling through a miniature pair of scissors was found. The 3 previous security screenings in other European airports never noted or objected. I threw scissors away, but when second time through bag was flagged again, I gave up and went back to check it in.

And remember - the more you argue with the person in charge - the stricter they will be.

I have been flying in out London Heathrow / City numerous times, business class with high level mileage priority status

There are no "fixed" rules. No matter what website info says, security and airlines can and do adjust rules on an "as needed" basis. This can be due to a higher terrorism alert or size of aircraft or whatever bug is flying around. Security is taken very seriously in London and they can overrule any airline allowances. I have had any variation : - max. 1 bag to be fitted in measuring grid when going through security, including personnel items, and this was for all passengers even for business/first class and irrespective of airline or destination. Or Max 18 lbs when flying British Air inter-Europe and more often they make you leave your bigger bag (anything over lap top size) outside plane, put it in hold and you get it back again at gate.

This does not happen all the time and probably you will be o.k., but just make sure you can rearrange your carry on on short notice and have things you want during flight in small pouch you can take out if necessary.

Another thing I noticed : Screening machines are tuned much finer in London - when I flew on a multistop trip through various European airports with same overnight carry on bag with exactly same contents, my bag was flagged and taken out at London Heathrow, after a lot of rifling through a miniature pair of scissors was found. The 3 previous security screenings in other European airports never noted or objected. I threw scissors away, but when second time through bag was flagged again, I gave up and went back to check it in.

And remember - the more you argue with the person in charge - the stricter they will be.

I understand that the normal rules doesn't always apply and that's why I wrote that it must have been something special that day.

How often it's a "special day" I don't know. You have much experience than me, at least when it comes to flying, but I have passed through in transfer or checked in at Heathrow many times too and I have never had a problem with my luggage.

I think that we are trying to say "prepare for the worst" in terms of what you will be able to get through as carry aboard items. You never know from one day to the next, even one airport to the next the same day, what the security clerks and airlines are going to do. And like others have said, no amount of whining or protest is going to get the clerk to back down...

The days of being able to carry on everything you own are gone. People just have to adjust to reality and pack accordingly.

I think that we are trying to say "prepare for the worst" in terms of what you will be able to get through as carry aboard items. You never know from one day to the next, even one airport to the next the same day, what the security clerks and airlines are going to do. And like others have said, no amount of whining or protest is going to get the clerk to back down...

The days of being able to carry on everything you own are gone. People just have to adjust to reality and pack accordingly.

Very well said!

I learned long ago not to argue with bureaucrats! I had a bad accident and one of my legs was badly damaged. It is not the same size as my other leg. Stops security folks every single time I fly. I just know its going to happen.

There are a TON of smaller sized carry-ons out there. Remember, in general, the cheaper the bag, the more likely it has wheels and feet and handles that poke out and put it over the dimensions.

Look for a 19 or 20 inch model. Tumi has some, as does Victorinox.

Thanks, now I am encouraged to look further!

You never know from one day to the next, even one airport to the next the same day, what the security clerks and airlines are going to do.

Agree, and that's the whole point. A key element of good security is randomness. If security equipment, process, procedures, and personnel were kept to a uniform standard, it would be easier to find and exploit flaws.

Archived