Looks like Disney is copying CARNIVAL's Shorts Policy

MrPete

Ok I'll take the hit on that, Carnival Corp. is the largest. But that's not what you said you were talking about, you said this " thread " is about carnival cruise lines comparisons.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The OP posted an article about shorts in the MDR. The thread then evolved into a comparison of which cruise line did what first. Though, I admit discussion (or argument ) would be a better word than comparison.

I wish Carnival would adopt the "free soda and bring your own beer policy" that Disney has :D. Yep, I'm a dreamer.

Think of it this way:

Carnival is priced an awful lot lower than DCL so even if you bought everybody in your family the bottomless bubbles you'd still be way ahead of the game , money wise, so in essence it is free.

Bill

Think of it this way:

Carnival is priced an awful lot lower than DCL so even if you bought everybody in your family the bottomless bubbles you'd still be way ahead of the game , money wise, so in essence it is free.

Bill

And you can control that too. Twice I've sailed on DCL for the same price I've paid on CCL (and even RCCL) simply by sailing off peak in September and March.

Not so sure that could be attained now that CCL's pricies have plummeted since the sinking and the fire (or as other attest, "They want to keep prices low").

Disney sailings are only 4 or 5 days with many more children on board. You have the Disney characters sailing with you and a large part of the entertainment is geared towards children. So for that type of set up, it would make sense. No so much for the other lines that have fewer children per sailing, have a more mixed age group, and are longer in length.

For 4 or 5 days, most passengers would not even have check in luggage!

While Disney is allowing passengers to wear shorts more, don't forget their voyage prices are considerably higher than Carnival's.

MARAPRINCE

Disney sailings are only 4 or 5 days with many more children on board. You have the Disney characters sailing with you and a large part of the entertainment is geared towards children. So for that type of set up, it would make sense. No so much for the other lines that have fewer children per sailing, have a more mixed age group, and are longer in length.

While Disney is allowing passengers to wear shorts more, don't forget their voyage prices are considerably higher than Carnival's.

MARAPRINCE

You are suggesting that people only have carry on luggage for 4-5 day cruises?

We pack light but never have less than 1 suitcase, even when wearing mostly shorts all week.

Also not sure how much they are charging for a cruise has to do with allowing shorts.:confused:

Bill

MARAPRINCE

I'm confused by this. They have some 3/4 Days, some 5 days, some 7/8 Days, some 10-12 days TAs or Panama Canals... they have a little bit of everything.

There are no more or less kids on a CCL. Just try getting a hotdog...

The stage shows feature Disney music (happily to me, I may not be a lil kid anymore but I can still appreciate Tarzan doing aerial stunts...), but there are plenty of adults only venues, mixology and tastings, adults only specialty restaurants (is CCL's specialty even adults only?) and incredible free kids care up to midnight (other lines charge for care that late, so you get a lot more running around unsupervised.) Etc. anyway point being that Disney caters to everyone, in all age groups and family styles, and that is also why they decided to give the people what they say they want- shorts in the MDR if they want to.

The fact that CCL costs less than DCL doesn't really make sense for the shorts argument anyway... You'd think something that costs less would be more casual, not the other way around. DCL costs more because they give you so many more perks and services. (Soda machine pop included, BYOB etc policy) They also have a 'Florida/California' vibe - and that equals shorts!

Anyway, my 3 cents. Disney doesn't just have 4-5 day cruises...

I'm confused by this. They have some 3/4 Days, some 5 days, some 7/8 Days, some 10-12 days TAs or Panama Canals... they have a little bit of everything.

There are no more or less kids on a CCL. Just try getting a hotdog...

The stage shows feature Disney music (happily to me, I may not be a lil kid anymore but I can still appreciate Tarzan doing aerial stunts...), but there are plenty of adults only venues, mixology and tastings, adults only specialty restaurants (is CCL's specialty even adults only?) and incredible free kids care up to midnight (other lines charge for care that late, so you get a lot more running around unsupervised.) Etc. anyway point being that Disney caters to everyone, in all age groups and family styles, and that is also why they decided to give the people what they say they want- shorts in the MDR if they want to.

The fact that CCL costs less than DCL doesn't really make sense for the shorts argument anyway... You'd think something that costs less would be more casual, not the other way around. DCL costs more because they give you so many more perks and services. (Soda machine pop included, BYOB etc policy) They also have a 'Florida/California' vibe - and that equals shorts!

Anyway, my 3 cents. Disney doesn't just have 4-5 day cruises...

The article I read specifically mentioned 4-5 day Disney sailings out of Florida where shorts in the MDR were allowed. Yes, Disney does have longer sailings and does have other itineraries. But the article was only referencing 4-5 Disney sailings out of Florida where the entire on board atmosphere was more casual -- one port and Disney owned island. Very easy to pack for, ergo, no need to require a lot of extra clothing. Almost like a long weekend trip to the country since most passengers combined the ship voyage with a land trip to WWD for several days either before or after.

Yes, Disney charges more because they give you more. I am aware of that since during the one season they sailed out of NYC -- almost 3 times the price of Carnival.

600 children out of 3,000+ passengers was about the normal breakout on the Carnival Splendor during school breaks. Much less on other sailings.

MARAPRINCE

The article I read specifically mentioned 4-5 day Disney sailings out of Florida where shorts in the MDR were allowed. Yes, Disney does have longer sailings and does have other itineraries. But the article was only referencing 4-5 Disney sailings out of Florida where the entire on board atmosphere was more casual -- one port and Disney owned island. Very easy to pack for, ergo, no need to require a lot of extra clothing. Almost like a long weekend trip to the country since most passengers combined the ship voyage with a land trip to WWD for several days either before or after.

Yes, Disney charges more because they give you more. I am aware of that since during the one season they sailed out of NYC -- almost 3 times the price of Carnival.

600 children out of 3,000+ passengers was about the normal breakout on the Carnival Splendor during school breaks. Much less on other sailings.

MARAPRINCE

I rather sail on CCL with 600 children than a DCL ship. Have you seen them leaving Port Canaveral. All of the kids are spun up on a diet of smoothies, ice cream and Hanna Montana that they almost spontaneously combust. They play the Disney theme over ships air horns when they should play Taps as any adult on that cruise would soon realize they just sunk major dinero down the loo just to try and relive their childhood.

I rather sail on CCL with 600 children than a DCL ship. Have you seen them leaving Port Canaveral. All of the kids are spun up on a diet of smoothies, ice cream and Hanna Montana that they almost spontaneously combust. They play the Disney theme over ships air horns when they should play Taps as any adult on that cruise would soon realize they just sunk major dinero down the loo just to try and relive their childhood.

Guess people like sinking major dinero for a hint of childhood happiness then...

DCL number 1 in customer survey

CCL number 7 dead last in customer survey

And if you haven't been on DCL, you shouldn't be sharing why people should or shouldn't go on it. I don't even know where to begin with that post (should I bother with the inaccurate Hanna Montana or skip straight to all the adult only pubs clubs and areas or maybe the fact that plenty choose to honeymoon or anniversary on it...) Never mind...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Guess people like sinking major dinero for a hint of childhood happiness then...

DCL number 1 in customer survey

CCL number 7 dead last in customer survey

And if you haven't been on DCL, you shouldn't be sharing why people should or shouldn't go on it. I don't even know where to begin with that post (should I bother with the inaccurate Hanna Montana or skip straight to all the adult only pubs clubs and areas or maybe the fact that plenty choose to honeymoon or anniversary on it...) Never mind...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Your moniker says it all.

I know what I saw, I know what I heard. Glad I wasn't on it.

When you wish upon a star, it's still only a wish, but it's your wish

Archived