Why do you decorate your cabin door?

aideek2000

I agree with those above that "don't" decorate their cabin door....I "don't" decorate my hotel room door either ;)

I don't feel the same way about hotels. They don't follow me around on vacation. But when I get to my cabin on a cruise ship, the first thing I say is.................

"HONEY, I'M HOME":D:D:D

I decorate my door because it makes me happy!! I like to think it says something about me; I'm a happy person and would love to meet you! When we cruise, I'm always looking for fellow happy, upbeat people who don't take things too seriously. I don't need whine-y, disgruntled people raining on my parade.

All the above simply means my door has a few decorations, usually just our picture from our 50th wedding anniversary cruise with our names and CC names and maybe something silly if we are with a group or celebrating something. As a matter of fact, our next B2B, we will be celebrating DH's FOUR times beating cancer.

So, I'm happy!

Margee

I've only seen this once, on NCL Jade, when we came from the tender onto deck 4. Someone had put a Hawaiian lei on their door. I didn't know why, but reading CC gave me the answers. Never seen it since.

The last couple of cruises I made a paper sign (8 x 11-1/2) on colored stock to put on our cabin door. It really helps to find our cabin without having to peer at every number. A couple of cruises ago we were near the elevator, and we were able to zero in on our cabin immediately. The last cruise we were aft and there were a few times that I would continue on, stop and realize that was my sign.

the last one was a cow on a surf board. Since it was a Hawaiian cruise, I thought it was appropriate.

I decorate my door because it makes me happy!! I like to think it says something about me; I'm a happy person and would love to meet you! When we cruise, I'm always looking for fellow happy, upbeat people who don't take things too seriously. I don't need whine-y, disgruntled people raining on my parade.

All the above simply means my door has a few decorations, usually just our picture from our 50th wedding anniversary cruise with our names and CC names and maybe something silly if we are with a group or celebrating something. As a matter of fact, our next B2B, we will be celebrating DH's FOUR times beating cancer.

So, I'm happy!

Margee

And what makes you happy is the most important reason for you to decorate your door...However I don't think it's such a good idea to put so much personal info and photo on your door....JMHO.

Happy cruising to you and the very best of continued success in your DH fight against "C". :)

I do decorate my door. I just like seeing the decor from down the hall...let's me know I'm almost there! It's just festive and fun and often I go on cruises to celebrate things so it adds to that. I also think of the decor as a "Welcome" sign.

On my last cruise I had met a guy and I didn't tell him my cabin number. I figured we would run into each other again. He knew that I had a magnet on my door and somehow walked the ship to find me the next day--and he did, all because of my door decorations. We ended up dating long distance for 6 months. =)

I do decorate my door at home. In fact, I usually have some sort of wreath or sign for whatever holiday is coming up.

My husband has memory problems due to TBA. This last cruise was the first time of us making a sign for our door. He choose a beach picture and added a message to make it personal and not forget and I printed it. And it was the first time he did not end up in line to find out room number. We used masking tape for easier removal.

No personal info. on our sign. My husband also tends to loose things /sail card often and you only need to give room number to complete charges. So I don't want anyone putting our info together and taking advantage.

The doors to staterooms are in hallways. On some ships, long boring hallways. There is nothing elegant about a long, boring hallway filled with endless doors. Guests on board the ships are not spray painting "ghetto gang tags" on the doors. They are just having some fun with paper and magnets.

And, yes, I do decorate my door. And, no, it is not to help me find my door. I do it because it is fun. I spend some time on it before the cruise, designing a sign. It helps in building excitement for the upcoming cruise. I also like to walk down the halls, looking at various door signs. Some are fun, some are a little over the top; but I love them all. For the next cruise, I will have double the fun, as I am going on a B2B. That means two, no maybe three different door signs. Let the creativity begin.

I may have to make a fourth sign, as I will be celebrating my birthday on the cruise. I may need a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME" sign.

Edited by Host Sheila
Removed offensive wuote

I've never decorated our cabin door as I just don't want the hassle of taking the extra stuff along.

But, when neighbors decorate their door, it is easier to find our cabin :)

Some people are clever, some give out way too much info, some are just silly. The only 2 things that I find weird about this subject at all is #1 some people really object to it (really?, lighten up) and #2 the people who decorate and find their stuff gets ripped off (really? you're going to place stuff in a public area and then get miffed if someone takes it?).

If I ever bothered to do it, I'd not put our names on it nor reference Cruise Critic or any other affiliation, I'd keep it small and tasteful and if it was stolen, oh well, it was outside on the door.

I've never decorated our cabin door as I just don't want the hassle of taking the extra stuff along.

But, when neighbors decorate their door, it is easier to find our cabin :)

Some people are clever, some give out way too much info, some are just silly. The only 2 things that I find weird about this subject at all is #1 some people really object to it (really?, lighten up) and #2 the people who decorate and find their stuff gets ripped off (really? you're going to place stuff in a public area and then get miffed if someone takes it?).

If I ever bothered to do it, I'd not put our names on it nor reference Cruise Critic or any other affiliation, I'd keep it small and tasteful and if it was stolen, oh well, it was outside on the door.

Just because it's outside doesn't give the right to take what is NOT YOURS!

I decorate our doors. We've met people just by them coming by to look. When we opened the door and they saw the decorations on the inside, they start calling their family and friends to come and see. We've already been asked if they could use our room for their celebration party.

Unfortunately, one too many people liked my decorations and took one too many, now it's because of people like this "the ones who take what doesn't belong to them" is the reason I don't decorate anymore.

I wonder why the cruise lines sell special occasions room decorations if they thought they were tacky or spoiled the elegant decor? We have decorated our doors on most of our cruises and have also decorated the cabin for special occasions. Perhaps Cunard does not do weddings or honeymoons, so they don't have decorations. Would anyone know what their policies are for special occasions?

Margee

We're going on our first cruise together in 38 days and we already have most of our door decorations ready. It's harmless fun. We plan to enjoy the cruise as much as possible and that will be part of our enjoyment.

I'll be sure to take pictures as soon as we get it decorated just in case anyone decides to mess with it afterwards. Even if that happens though, we're going to be on a cruise and it will be all about 5 days of relaxing stress free FUN! So losing some door decorations will surely not spoil it for us. :D

If I see any other decorated doors, I'll take pictures of those too. :)

First off... let me say that I find decorating my cabin door great fun! It is tastefully done (and yes, I have covered the entire door with homemade crafts because I am 'crafty! :D) and I have so much fun. Also, I have made many friends who have either left messages (I put up a 'sign' sheet for anyone that would like to make a comment about my decorations. No smut, nor bad language, nor hateful/rude comments have ever been left for me to see BTW) Most of the time the neighbors have thanked me for making it easier to find their cabins from far away. Finally, my cabin stewards (not all but many!), either have left their own 'fun' messages OR have added or redecorated the door themselves. I can't tell you how many times I have come back to my room to find things moved on the door with added smiley faces or cheap $ dollar items added to it. It's all about having a good time. Some people don't enjoy singing waiters... I do! Some don't care for the towel animals... I do! To each his own. I'm on vacation! :eek: PS... On our cruise with our son and his new wife, I decorated their door with honeymoon memorabilia and even though at first they 'rolled their eyes', they got a kick out of all the great messages and coupons left in their mailboxes by fellow cruisers. People were very kind and generous to them both and they will always have that memory!

I started placing cabin door signs outside ## cruises ago. Not to find our cabin but to have fun!

Some cruisers need to lighten up. :rolleyes: They are always the ones that complain about everything - "The sun is on the wrong side of the ship or ................"

On our last trip, I designed a sign with our "39 day Bucket List" Things we planned to see or do, ports/countries visited, etc. And to the side was a message board with a dry marker to let my wife know where I am or when I will return - Msgs to others and a "Quote of the day or Drawing"

Years ago, our cruise was during the World Series so I design a score board and had the purser's office send me updates on the games.

The MSG board has been proof that others were watching our cabin door! After ## cruises, only one nasty msg and NO thefts! I have over heard fellow passengers talking about our door and seen them taking pictures of the signs.

Since I work in graphics, my boards are always in good taste and are laminated. I use double faced tape and remove all prior to leaving the ship. They fit inside one suitcase and take up no space!

Next trip is a bit different as we are doing B2B on two different cruise lines Jan. 2014 out of Ft. Lauderdale, FL Already designed and ready to be printed! (Two green parrots dressed as pirates holding beer mugs)

If you happen to see one ........ leave a msg! Or at least SMILE! :D

I have not ever decorated my door, but Princess put up a happy birthday sign for me on my last cruise. It was festive and did make it easier to recognise my room, so I left it up the remaining days. It was not that I couldn't find my room before it was decorated, it was just easier to spot with the sign on it.

I don't think I would haul decorations around in the future, but I might be tempted.

We decorated our door on the paradise last Feb. we cruised with 35 family members, 13 cabins. We had a dry erase board and a family reunion sign. Each day several nieces and nephews would walk the halls early and leave little notes. We were on different levels so with the reunion sign the kids knew they were leaving messages on the right door. Dry erase boards are popular for leaving notes " I'm sleeping, don't bother"