Retractable roof?

mizzoufinal4

Does Carnival have any ship with pools that have retractable roofs on them? Just wondering as we are thinking about going on a Jan. cruise and it could be a little cool for swimming even in florida.

According to some pics that I've seen and reviews that I've read, the Conquest has a retractable roof on the aft.

The Legend has a retractable roof which was drawn over for our entire Baltic cruise (I think they did this because they cant move it when ship is moving). The temperature ranged from 65-75 and the pool was often busy and the less sheltered pools had people in them sometimes. However we did find that kids dominated the covered pool.

I am also sure that the Splendor has an indoor pool as it was originally built for Costa.

The Glory aft pool had a retractable roof as of last summer
As does Victory (as of Apr. 2011) can't see them removing it...

And so does Valor, even though doing the Southern Caribbean route

it'll get used only on very rainy days, I imagine.

They can and do retract the cover while the ship is moving. It is warm enough in January to be in the pool on sea days sailing out of Florida.

True, as we've seen it happen on a couple of our cruises. I think though that the sea and wind need to be at relatively calm levels before they will open/close the roof while under way.

True, as we've seen it happen on a couple of our cruises. I think though that the sea and wind need to be at relatively calm levels before they will open/close the roof while under way.

JH himself said they could not do it while the ship was moving on the Baltic cruise before ours and Brent mentioned the same on our cruise as well that we just got off today.

Possibly a new enforcement on Spirit ships as Baltic winds can be gentler than Caribbean ones....sometimes.

Conquest Class, Spirit Class, Splendor come to mind. Probably Triumph and Victory.

No on Dream Class, Sunshine Class, Fantasy Class.

when the roof is open and closing, be prepare to hear a lot of clucking. here is a video from the splendor:

That was neet. I think the aft-mounted retractable roofs (on Liberty, Victory et al) aren't quite as big, but I still want to see one of 'em "in action" someday. It was closed several times on Liberty due to rain but I never caught it rolling.

I'm wondering how the decision to open/close is made, and if it's at the discretion of the bridge.

Archived