Not impressed with Ocean Blue Menu

BrPanthers99

I just got off the Breakaway last week, and while I did not eat at Ocean Blue, the menu was not impressive to say the least. I do not see it being worth $49.

You can get Scallops or Fish, thats it.

No lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels.....

Really limited menu, you better like fish and not just "seafood" before you book to go there.

not to be snarky, but you can view the menus before you commit to a speciality restaurant

No you can't. They nickel and dime you over the head as they drag you to the table, strap you down and force feed you what they know you want. Then they pull an extra $10 from your wallet for good measure as they through you out the front door... all while Zakarian collects a check seeing as how he's never set foot on the ship.

No you can't. They nickel and dime you over the head as they drag you to the table, strap you down and force feed you what they know you want. Then they pull an extra $10 from your wallet for good measure as they through you out the front door... all while Zakarian collects a check seeing as how he's never set foot on the ship.

Zakarian has been on the 2 nighter, (Guess you don't rank so you weren't invited) & he is booked on 2 Breakaway cruises this December.

Get your facts straight.

I just got off the Breakaway and ate at Ocean Blue while we were on board. We were celebrating our anniversary and the servers took great care of us. The food was very good and presentation was nice as well.

I had the dover sole, which is never less than 40-50 on a menu here in the NY area, when you can find it.

Since I have a food allergy, I spoke directly with the chef whi indicated that Zakarian is on board almost every weekend when they dock in NYC to check quality of provisions, etc. She even joked that he had missed the last 2 weeks as he was filming Iron Chef.

I just got off the Breakaway last week, and while I did not eat at Ocean Blue, the menu was not impressive to say the least. I do not see it being worth $49.

You can get Scallops or Fish, thats it.

No lobster, shrimp, clams, mussels.....

Really limited menu, you better like fish and not just "seafood" before you book to go there.

I enjoyed my meal there very much and loved the Mussels - so much so that I asked for more bread to dip in the sauce! I'd go back again and plan on doing so on my upcoming Getaway cruise!

I don't know what menu you were looking at, however, I have a copy of mine from my June sailing and if I knew how to upload photos here I would, however, here is the menu:

FIRST COURSE:

Crispy Calamari/Hot Peppers/Fresno Chili Aioli

Mussels Tom Ka Gai/Chicken Confit/Romesco Sauce/Red Chili Baguette

Grilled Prawn Panzanella/Heirloom Tomatoes/Taggiasca Olive Vinaigrette

Beef Tartare/Mustard Dressing/Celery Salad/Chips

Fried Chickpea Salad/Iceberg Lettuce/Castelvetrano Olives/Cucumber

Baby Head Lettuce Salad/Apples/Endives/Tarragon Vinaigrette

Beet Salad/Smoked Trout RoE/Rock Shrimp/Blis Maple Yogurt

Carrot & Madras Curry Bisque/Gingerbread/Raisons/Coriander

MAIN COURSE:

Lightly Roasted Sea Scallops/Guanciale/Grapefruit/Caramelized Pork Belly

Wild Salmon/Buttermilk/Horseradish/Leeks/Crispy Potatoes

Risotto of Jonah Crab/Hon Shimeji Mushroom/Parm Cheese/Olive Oil

Black Sea Bass/Plancha Roasted Squash/Basil Seed Vinaigrette

Monkfish Loin/Forbidden Rice/Cauliflower/Pine Nut Yogurt

Roasted Peeking Duck/Crushed Sicilian Pistachios/Caramelized Endive

Dover Sole/Whole Roasted/Sauce Meuniere

Grilled Delmonico/Grade Prime/Roasted Shallots/Watercress

DESSERTS:

Bergamont Tea Panna Cotta

Dark Chocolate Soufflé

Apple Strudel with Cardamom

Lemon Meringue Tart

Artisanal Cheeses

Housemade Sorbet

Harriet

I enjoyed my meal there very much and loved the Mussels - so much so that I asked for more bread to dip in the sauce! I'd go back again and plan on doing so on my upcoming Getaway cruise!

I don't know what menu you were looking at, however, I have a copy of mine from my June sailing and if I knew how to upload photos here I would, however, here is the menu:

FIRST COURSE:

Crispy Calamari/Hot Peppers/Fresno Chili Aioli

Mussels Tom Ka Gai/Chicken Confit/Romesco Sauce/Red Chili Baguette

Grilled Prawn Panzanella/Heirloom Tomatoes/Taggiasca Olive Vinaigrette

Beef Tartare/Mustard Dressing/Celery Salad/Chips

Fried Chickpea Salad/Iceberg Lettuce/Castelvetrano Olives/Cucumber

Baby Head Lettuce Salad/Apples/Endives/Tarragon Vinaigrette

Beet Salad/Smoked Trout RoE/Rock Shrimp/Blis Maple Yogurt

Carrot & Madras Curry Bisque/Gingerbread/Raisons/Coriander

MAIN COURSE:

Lightly Roasted Sea Scallops/Guanciale/Grapefruit/Caramelized Pork Belly

Wild Salmon/Buttermilk/Horseradish/Leeks/Crispy Potatoes

Risotto of Jonah Crab/Hon Shimeji Mushroom/Parm Cheese/Olive Oil

Black Sea Bass/Plancha Roasted Squash/Basil Seed Vinaigrette

Monkfish Loin/Forbidden Rice/Cauliflower/Pine Nut Yogurt

Roasted Peeking Duck/Crushed Sicilian Pistachios/Caramelized Endive

Dover Sole/Whole Roasted/Sauce Meuniere

Grilled Delmonico/Grade Prime/Roasted Shallots/Watercress

DESSERTS:

Bergamont Tea Panna Cotta

Dark Chocolate Soufflé

Apple Strudel with Cardamom

Lemon Meringue Tart

Artisanal Cheeses

Housemade Sorbet

Harriet

Sounds yummy to me, yes it's pricey. Not for everyone that's why we have so many choices. Chef Geoffrey Zakarian is scheduled to be on our December 1st. sailing :D

LOL - Thanks for the smile, but you forgot to mention that they blindfold you before you eat and test you afterwards to see if you can name every ingredient! LOL

Harriet

Zakarian has been on the 2 nighter, (Guess you don't rank so you weren't invited) & he is booked on 2 Breakaway cruises this December.

Get your facts straight.

Wow!

That was mean spirited! "Guess you don't rank......"

It was a joke.....Just A JOKE! lol

Harriet

It took a few of your posts, now I get it. Very funny !!

I am not a seafood fan at all. But several people have posted here that the beef filet was very good. I would definately try it. I know the food is big on presentation. But the only thing I dont like is no side dishes. I would love to see at least ONE side dish offered.

I also hear the fried calamari is delicious.

I am not a seafood fan at all. But several people have posted here that the beef filet was very good. I would definately try it. I know the food is big on presentation. But the only thing I dont like is no side dishes. I would love to see at least ONE side dish offered.

I also hear the fried calamari is delicious.

True, no side dishes :( However, in speaking with the Manager on my June cruise she said she's had lots of complaints about that and will bring it to the attention of the Owner......so maybe in the future there will be, how knows!

Harriet

I just read the menu and yelp reviews for his NY restaurant The Lambs Club.

He charges $59 for Dover Sole and $62 for Delmonico Steak. Sides are $9 extra. Starters and appetizers vary. Pretty good reviews, (3 1/2 stars out of 5), but most everyone thinks it's overpriced.

Does anyone know which cut of steak is used for the Delmonico? I few have mentioned filet but it is typically ribeye.

I just read the menu and yelp reviews for his NY restaurant The Lambs Club.

He charges $59 for Dover Sole and $62 for Delmonico Steak. Sides are $9 extra. Starters and appetizers vary. Pretty good reviews, (3 1/2 stars out of 5), but most everyone thinks it's overpriced.

Does anyone know which cut of steak is used for the Delmonico? I few have mentioned filet but it is typically ribeye.

Every "Delmonico" I've ever had... was a Ribeye.

Edit: we're booked there for next month. I had originally planned on having the tartare and delmonico -- though with all the steaks I ate on the Freedom last week, and all those I cook at home, I think the Dover Sole sounds good! (still with the tartare starter!) :)

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

We thought the menu offerings were just fine, and enjoyed everything we ordered (three of us split three of each course and everything was delicious). The problem was, we all left hungry - portions were small, no sides, and all in all there just wasn't enough food. No substitutions (I don't eat desserts), no add-ons. On a few items, I have had larger portions on tasting menus (like our beet salad, the equivalent of three tiny, tiny beets- like 1 inch beets). We ended up snacking at the buffet a couple hours later just out of pure hunger - and that's something to be said since I RARELY eat after dinner..

Robin

Edited by Fishbait17

We thought the menu offerings were just fine, and enjoyed everything we ordered (three of us split three of each course and everything was delicious). The problem was, we all left hungry - portions were small, no sides, and all in all there just wasn't enough food. No substitutions (I don't eat desserts), no add-ons. On a few items, I have had larger portions on tasting menus (like our beet salad, the equivalent of three tiny, tiny beets- like 1 inch beets). We ended up snacking at the buffet a couple hours later just out of pure hunger - and that's something to be said since I RARELY eat after dinner..

Robin

Interesting - and not the first account of that I've read!

Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with the steak (yes, I know... at a "seafood" place). But then again, I'm always up for a trip to O'Sheehan's !!

Tom