Take children out of school or not?

602sr

I too am thankful our teaches are supportive of family vacations. If for a moment I thought our teachers or principal felt that way I would be a little uncomfortable, but would probably proceed anyway. To my knowledge no teacher has ever had to work through lunch or during a break due to my family's vacation. And we travel every year in the fall and have for at least 4 years of being in school. Family time is important, memories are what you live and grow on. With two working parents, are you never to take a vacation, because then we too are missing time from work. I work in a hospital, so we never close. When exactly are we suppose to do that? My kids know school is their "work" and you work hard before and after a vacation just as their dad and I go with our jobs. Life lessons are learned with travel, and that is not something that can be taught in a classroom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I agree life lessons can be learned with travel, IF you are indeed teaching them and not just letting them run wild on the ship as many parents do (I'm not accusing you of this, just stating an observation from my experiences). I also agree many things can be and are taught outside of a classroom and not all knowledge is found in a classroom. These were not the points I was trying to impart.

Just because you don't have knowledge of your teachers working through lunch or break doesn't mean they didn't, it means they didn't tell you. I personally never told any parent unless their child was struggling and in every single case without exception, it made no difference as they still went on vacation anyway. That screams so many things, none of which are positive.

Of course, I'm not saying you never take vacation, but with all the scheduled time off a school gives, I'm sure one can schedule their vacation during those times.

It's not about lessons learned inside a classroom, it was more about the attitude and lessons that are being taught by yanking them out.

Oh no, I'm terribly sorry that I have given you the wrong impression on classrooms and education. I do NOT believe the classroom is the only form of education. Not by a long shot. I firmly believe education can be found everywhere and in everything. There are so many opportunities for everyone to learn everyday. I myself, personally make it a point to continue to learn, to challenge myself. Many students, do not and cannot acquire all of what they need from classrooms.

I am sorry your DD was struggling and her teacher was unable to explain the concepts. I'm sorry her teacher didn't refer her to another teacher that may have been able to explain it in a different way. My oldest son, struggled with "the new math" many years ago until I showed him the base ten model that I was taught. It matters not how one can get to the solution, it only matters that they can get to it, understand it, explain it and get to it again. I am very happy to hear your DD was able to find a solution and I applaud her creativity in searching and even more for her tenacity to not give up. Unfortunately your children are the exception, not the rule. I have seen so many students give up when presented with this same scenario. I have counseled many of my students struggling with other subjects to do exactly what your DD has done, to not give up. You are fortunate that your children were able to excel even while missing their classroom lessons but please try to understand, I am not trying to vilify any one parent or child. Every child is different, every child learns at a different pace. Some can handle missing school but most cannot. Some parents can help their children with homework and missed assignments, most cannot. This I agree with. I have always proposed that missing school is an individual decision based on the schools rules on attendance, and the childs willingness and ability to make the work up on time without making their grades suffer. Your previous posts, however, painted all kids and schools with the same brush and that I highly disagree with.

Again, I wasn't trying to say that the classroom was/is the only place for education. It is Not. My point, which has unfortunately gotten lost in translation was that schools provide adequate vacation time periods (too much time off IMHO, but that's another issue not meant for here). My point was that, I don't think parents are realizing the type of messages they are imparting to their children when they just arbitrarily remove their children to satisfy their needs of coming and going whenever they want without regards to how it may affect others, in this case the teachers, the school and education in general. It devalues the importance of education in schools and the teachers that provide it. In many cultures, teachers and education are much more respected and valued. Here, we seem to expect that they are there to serve, to change and modify their situations at the bequest of a small group of parents who do not wish, for whatever reason to follow the rules that everyone else follows. Having the monetary availability and time to give your children the opportunity to see and experience the world around us is wonderful and I'm sure your children just as mine have come away with some amazing experiences and invaluable educational experiences. It's the hidden lessons and attitude that worries me more.

Again this is where I disagree. If a school's policy is to excuse family vacations and allow the students to make up the work, then IMHO it is the teacher's job to allow this and assist them by giving them the work to make up and the timing to do it. I am not saying they need to spend the extra time to teach them the work or to put together different work than they are already giving to their class. Some of my kids teachers had their lesson plans already made up and they gave it to them ahead of time. Some of them waited until they returned and gave them the same work they handed out already in class. Some of them just gave them a special project to share with the class. In all cases, they took it as their job to give them the assignments, not an extra burden because the kids were requesting it so they could go on vacation.

IMHO if a parent is pulling a child from school and they are struggling with the make up work then it is the parents responsibility to help them learn the material missed. If they can't do that, then they need to find someone who can (pay a tutor if they must). I know some parents won't do that....and that is a shame. They are the ones who let their kids fail in everyday life without getting them the help they need to succeed. But responsible parents will do this and you can not put out a blanket statement accusing parents of bad parenting if they pull their children out school for vacations, if they are responsible enough to help them learn the material missed...even if it wasn't from the teacher.

Yes schools have vacation periods. But they do not always mesh with the families work schedules or budget, which are also important. We all have different jobs and different responsibilities. Who are you to judge what is best for that family when it comes to scheduling their vacation? We have made it a priority to vacation as a family. When the kids were younger that meant pulling them out of school for a week to meet our demanding work schedules. As they got older we got some seniority and were able to be a little more flexible...not much but a little. I would never judge someone on their decision to take a vacation during the school year. I would judge them for failing their kids if their grades suffered and they didn't get them them the help they needed to make up the work accurately and timely. Missing days in the class is not harmful to their education and, in our case at least, is not breaking any rules. Failing to make sure the material was learned is harmful, but that has nothing to do with them sitting in the classroom. It has everything to do with parents failing their responsibilities.

I beg to disagree, in our school it is the teachers responsibility and part of their job. From our handbook:

EXCUSED ABSENCES

A student may be excused for an absence or tardiness under the following conditions:

3. Participation in activities outside of the school program having an educational value, including family trips, providing the arrangements for a Pre-Excused Form has been completed and approved by the office. These days will be excused if the proper arrangements are made.

HOME WORK POLICY

A student who is absent for a valid reason is permitted to make up the work he/she has missed. It is the student’s responsibility to meet with the teacher the first day back to school to get the missed assignments. Homework is due at the next meeting of the class or at the teacher’s discretion.

All homework must be turned in by the due date established by the teacher.

If an assignment was given before the absence occurred, the student is responsible for turning in the assignment upon his/her return to school. For example, if an assignment was given on Wednesday and is due on Thursday and the student is absent on Thursday, it is expected that the assignment will be turned in the day the student returned to school.

Teachers are not required to help students make up work if an absence is unexcused.

Tests or quizzes missed due to an excused absence are to be made up outside of class time. One day for make up will be given for each day of excused absence.

Everytime we took our kids out for a weeks vacation we followed these rules. There was no rule breaking. We had all family vacations pre-approved and excused which meant that it was, according to the rules above, the teachers responsibility to get them the make up work and assign a due date. It was the kids responsibility to meet with teacher to get their work and get it done on time.

Your school has a liberal excuse policy. None of the schools I taught at ever considered a "family trip" a valid excuse. Either way in regards to the work missed, its not always as simple as missed assignments. I don't know you, I don't know your children. What I do know is this - most of the children I saw either did not complete the assignments or couldn't complete them because they didn't understand them. Either the parents didn't want to help or more likely weren't able to help. I am NOT saying that you fall into either of these categories. When a child cannot complete the work for whatever reason, they are now behind and must be given extra time to catch up. I do not know how to explain to you how disruptive this is to not only the teacher but also the other students. And no it is not the same as dealing with the variety of levels within a classroom that were there from the beginning and are already incorporated into the lesson planning. I doubt there is much else I can say to you as you have made it quite clear that you consider yourself above me and all teachers in general. You feel it's okay to disrupt my work, my time so that you can have your time your way. I am saddened for your children, for if you can show no respect, compassion towards other people's jobs and life, what does that really teach them!

I agree life lessons can be learned with travel, IF you are indeed teaching them and not just letting them run wild on the ship as many parents do (I'm not accusing you of this, just stating an observation from my experiences). I also agree many things can be and are taught outside of a classroom and not all knowledge is found in a classroom. These were not the points I was trying to impart.

Just because you don't have knowledge of your teachers working through lunch or break doesn't mean they didn't, it means they didn't tell you. I personally never told any parent unless their child was struggling and in every single case without exception, it made no difference as they still went on vacation anyway. That screams so many things, none of which are positive.

Of course, I'm not saying you never take vacation, but with all the scheduled time off a school gives, I'm sure one can schedule their vacation during those times.

It's not about lessons learned inside a classroom, it was more about the attitude and lessons that are being taught by yanking them out.

How can you be so sure? Do you know all of us and the work that we do or the schedules we have or how hard someone saved to give those kids that vacation? Very judgmental and closed minded.

I also respectfuly disagree with some here.

I could not afford to take my son on vacation when he was young . However I made him return to school after every doctor or dental appointment.(even if it was for an hour) I did not own a car then, so it was no easy task. If I could have afforded to take him on vacation I still would not take him out of school.

I feel it sets up a life time of blowing off important things for whatever.

Today my son is a Trooper as in MSP Trooper and he has a work ethic I admire. I did not have a lot to give him when he was young ,but I did have a sense of what was right & wrong for us. Teach them your values then let it go! :)

I am taking the whole family to Disney next year! (I told them today :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

Your school has a liberal excuse policy. None of the schools I taught at ever considered a "family trip" a valid excuse. Just because it was your experience doesn't been they don't exist. You can't paint the world in black and white...it is in color. Either way in regards to the work missed, its not always as simple as missed assignments. I don't know you, I don't know your children. What I do know is this - most of the children I saw either did not complete the assignments or couldn't complete them because they didn't understand them. Again your experience cannot define the world. You don't know me and many other posters on this board so how can you judge what they base their decisions on. There are kids out there who can and are willing to make up the work and there are schools that allow it. Either the parents didn't want to help or more likely weren't able to help. I am NOT saying that you fall into either of these categories. When a child cannot complete the work for whatever reason, they are now behind and must be given extra time to catch up. I do not know how to explain to you how disruptive this is to not only the teacher but also the other students. I agree to an extent, but you cannot hold back or punish the kids that are striving and can learn outside the class room for those who cannot. They would need that extra help from teachers whether they missed class or not. That is not the fault of the kids who don't need it. And no it is not the same as dealing with the variety of levels within a classroom that were there from the beginning and are already incorporated into the lesson planning. I doubt there is much else I can say to you as you have made it quite clear that you consider yourself above me and all teachers in general. Then you haven't comprehended my posts at all. Teachers have a job. Just like I have a job. There are responsibilities that come with that job. If the school allows students to make up work for time missed then it is part of your job to give them that work and assign a due date...whether you like it or not. It has nothing to do with my respecting the teachers. I have respected every teacher my children have had and never had any issues with any of them, nor have my kids. You feel it's okay to disrupt my work, my time so that you can have your time your way. I am saddened for your children, for if you can show no respect, compassion towards other people's jobs and life, what does that really teach them!

I am so glad my kids did not have you for a teacher....the respect and compassion is a 2 way street. Yet you are too close minded to see that. Everything is right or wrong. You seem to have no respect for the parents jobs or schedules or compassion for their budgets that make scheduling that vacation during the school year imperative to them. There are some parents that fail at parenting...they would do that whether they pulled their kids out class or not. But there are parents out there who make sure lessons are learned and help minimize the impact of missing those days in school. To characterize them as bad parents, just because their kids are not sitting in your room, is just wrong IMHO. Don't feel sad for my children, they don't need your pity as they are some of the kindest and compassionate kids you would ever meet.

I also respectfuly disagree with some here.

I could not afford to take my son on vacation when he was young . However I made him return to school after every doctor or dental appointment.(even if it was for an hour) I did not own a car then, so it was no easy task. If I could have afforded to take him on vacation I still would not take him out of school.

I feel it sets up a life time of blowing off important things for whatever.

Today my son is a Trooper as in MSP Trooper and he has a work ethic I admire. I did not have a lot to give him when he was young ,but I did have a sense of what was right & wrong for us. Teach them your values then let it go! :)

I am taking the whole family to Disney next year! (I told them today :)

Reader

It seems a few (not necessarily you) here who do not pull their kids have issues with those who do but NOT vise versa. Never in a million years would I take a child from the doctor's office back to school. Reason being, most non emergency checkups are schedule after school or on weekends. I would probably use the rest of the day to have lunch or go to the park, especially just for an hour. I would prefer to spend that time with my child since there must be a reason for the doctors visit during school. Different people value time with children differently, not right, not wrong, just different. A another reality is NOT every parent enjoys spending extra time with their children, so doing it when they don't have to ain't gonna happen. The school is used for the dumping ground, ask any teacher!

People have posted repeatedly about being pulled and still being successful, why it so hard for some to believe. Clearly their might be other issues present that will greatly affect their success that has nothing to do with attendance. Why do the 'senders' have such issues with 'pullers'? I am a proud parent that pulls!

Edited by Blk_Amish

Your school has a liberal excuse policy. None of the schools I taught at ever considered a "family trip" a valid excuse.
A quick review of the folks with whom I work (9 school systems in two different states) indicates that the policy that prevails in each of their children's school have a similar policy toward time off as this poster had quoted.

I know many teacher's in my DD's school system and they can point to specific families who seem to take their kids out too often, and/or have kids who they advise should not be taken out and/or are very demanding when they pull their kids out. But they stress that these families are the minority.

Either way in regards to the work missed, its not always as simple as missed assignments. I don't know you, I don't know your children. What I do know is this - most of the children I saw either did not complete the assignments or couldn't complete them because they didn't understand them
In my case my DD completed ALL of her assignments and generally found herself "ahead" of the class because one or more assignments that the teacher expected to get through got held up.
Either the parents didn't want to help or more likely weren't able to help
She has NEVER had an issue where she did not understand something or needed help that her DH or I could not provide. Her teachers always provided excellent instructions.
. . . I doubt there is much else I can say to you as you have made it quite clear that you consider yourself above me and all teachers in general. You feel it's okay to disrupt my work, my time so that you can have your time your way.
My schedule and my DH's schedule are difficult to plan around. Also during much of my DD's school years, we had one or more relative with particular needs that we needed to help. I am happy my DD's school administrators and her teachers were compassionate and understood the value of a family vacation and the challenges that planning one might all entail.
I am saddened for your children, for if you can show no respect, compassion towards other people's jobs and life, what does that really teach them!
I submit my DD as evidence that my evil influence has not marred her -- My DD is a HS senior who has a 4.55GPA, will enter a major university next fall as a second semester sophomore, participates in three sports, participates in a world-recognized marching band, and still has managed to rack up nearly 300 hours of volunteer time over the past four months tutoring special needs kids in math and reading, volunteering at a youth soccer camp and at the local museum. And among her friends, her accomplishments are not considered at all extrodinary. Edited by Onessa

Your school has a liberal excuse policy. None of the schools I taught at ever considered a "family trip" a valid excuse. Either way in regards to the work missed, its not always as simple as missed assignments. I don't know you, I don't know your children. What I do know is this - most of the children I saw either did not complete the assignments or couldn't complete them because they didn't understand them. Either the parents didn't want to help or more likely weren't able to help. I am NOT saying that you fall into either of these categories. When a child cannot complete the work for whatever reason, they are now behind and must be given extra time to catch up. I do not know how to explain to you how disruptive this is to not only the teacher but also the other students. And no it is not the same as dealing with the variety of levels within a classroom that were there from the beginning and are already incorporated into the lesson planning. I doubt there is much else I can say to you as you have made it quite clear that you consider yourself above me and all teachers in general. You feel it's okay to disrupt my work, my time so that you can have your time your way. I am saddened for your children, for if you can show no respect, compassion towards other people's jobs and life, what does that really teach them!

YES, it's a part of your job and you should reconsider doing it if you can no longer accommodate. Of course you should be given notice and time to prepare the required work. Most teachers teaching the same grade level for years can pull this off without crumbling. The kids are ours, and you as the teacher is hired help. Most here have a vested interest in seeing kids succeed, and many have shared the success story. Mine, graduate top honors, Future Achievers Scholarship, Lettered in Sports, ASB VP, started college of choice. Yes, missed several days of school for vacation, family, and downright fun.

As for lesson planning, with No Child Left Behind aren't you stuck with the pacing guide and teaching to the test? I am sure the move to Common Core might change that, maybe!

Edited by Blk_Amish

It seems a few (not necessarily you) here who do not pull their kids have issues with those who do but NOT vise versa. Never in a million years would I take a child from the doctor's office back to school. Reason being, most non emergency checkups are schedule after school or on weekends. I would probably use the rest of the day to have lunch or go to the park, especially just for an hour. I would prefer to spend that time with my child since there must be a reason for the doctors visit during school. Different people value time with children differently, not right, not wrong, just different. A another reality is NOT every parent enjoys spending extra time with their children, so doing it when they don't have to ain't gonna happen. The school is used for the dumping ground, ask any teacher!

People have posted repeatedly about being pulled and still being successful, why it so hard for some to believe. Clearly their might be other issues present that will greatly affect their success that has nothing to do with attendance. Why do the 'senders' have such issues with 'pullers'? I am a proud parent that pulls!

Never in a million years would I take a child from the doctor's office back to school. Reason being, most non emergency checkups are schedule after school or on weekends.

NEVER in a million years would I take a sick child back to school or send them in the first place!

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

NEVER in a million years would I take a sick child back to school or send them in the first place!

Reader

I could never understand the value of sending or keeping a sick child in school at the risk of infecting others.

Once in the third grade my DD wanted perfect attendance, a value she never got from me, but got sick towards the end of the school year. I could have taken her in for a few minutes, to be marked present for the day , but I didn't. I told her when you are not well, your health becomes a priority.

Lesson - some kids can end up with values you clearly did not intend them to have.. My DD wanted perfect attendance and my DS thinks traveling is too much work. We can stop using the V - card. That's the value card not the other teenage V card:D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Edited by Blk_Amish

• 3 weeks later...

I am amazed by the responses to this thread. Yes, we are pulling our children from school for a family cruise (pre-school, 6th, 8th grade). Our school has a 1/2 day, weekend, holiday and teacher in service day then three days of school and another weekend. They are missing 3 days of school to bring what they are studying in school to life including social studies, world languages, culture, science, art and music. In addition the children will be able to take a vacation with both of their families at the same time something that many children of divorce would never be able to experience.

I missed a week of school every winter throughout high school and my first two years of college. In fact, 5/6 times it was during finals week. I was a great student in good standing with my teachers and they never had any issues with my trips. I remember very distinctly having a few questions about the Panama Canal come up on a final right after a cruise to PC. I answered those questions very confidently and likely wouldn't have known the answers without being there the week prior. I learned more about the world from travels than a generic textbook ever could have taught me!

My third grade daughter will miss a week of school, next week, for our first cruise. She is Principal's List (all A's and E's) and doing fantastic, academically. She has perfect attendance, and has since kindergarten actually.

I have already spoken to her teacher about make up work and using the trip as a learning tool. Her teacher will be giving her homework this Friday (one school day early) for completion during the following week (while we are on the cruise).

In preparation for our trip, we are studying the Mayan culture and Spanish language, as well as tropical fish and reefs. I am taking all three of my children, the oldest two are adults and relatively single. This may be the only time we ever get to do something like this as a family, just the five of us.

So I refuse to apologize or feel guilty for taking a vacation during school session. There are many reasons this particular time frame was chosen, and we plan to enjoy every moment.

Edited by Stormie weather

I wouldn't but that me. I dont want to have to deal with kids having to miss assignments and either have to do them on board or have extra work waiting for when they get back. I will either cruise during spring break or summer.

When on vacation I dont wanna think about work or school or anything. HAHA.

I think you have to check your school district some have strict rules about it others are more lax. Be up front and tel lthe teacher or talk to the principal before booking to see if its worth it.

Contact your school's principal or someone in the school's administration to determine what the school system's policy is on absences. Some states have very strict regulations and your students' absences may impact the funding that the school system receives from the state. Individual school systems will have varying policies. But start knowing what your school's policy is.

If the school says "any absence over three days will require a doctor's note indicating your child was sick or we will consider him/her truant", then you need to make your decision as to how to proceed based upon that knowledge. (. . . and you may want to consider finding a new school for your kids :D)

If the school has a policy you can live with, next approach your children's teachers. Explain to each that you have appoached administration, you have approval to proceed and briefly outline what your plans are -- dates you will be gone, number of school days, etc.

Be very flexible - ask how they want to handle it. Sometimes they may want the child to "make up" the work prior to vacation, sometimes they will give you the assignments and you can set some time aside with each child to do the work, sometimes they will want the child to make up the work once they return.

Even if the teacher indicates that there will be no make up work make certain to provide some educational activities to help keep your kids "sharp" (or to "keep the peace" if one kid has worksheets and required reading; and the other does not).

As others have stated, ultimately the decision is yours. But by knowing the "rules" for your school, you will be able to be more effective.

Ours is very similar. I took the kids out of school for a week long cruise. I notified the school in advance and they let me know the children's absences would be unexcused. Additionally, I returned home to at least 3 messages from my oldest child's school informing me they were reporting us to the truancy officer. I marched in there the following business day after returning from the cruise and let her know I didn't appreciate the threatening messages. I explained I had already notified the school he was going to be absent and no one mentioned reporting me to the police. She said it was "school policy" that they report more than 4 unexcused absences in a row to the truancy officer. I asked for a copy of her "policy" and she told me she would have to find it because she was new. I never did get a copy of the policy but she also didn't bother me anymore. Bottom line, you'd almost be better off calling them in sick and getting a note from someone (more than 3 sick days in a row requires a doctors note in our district). If I could, I'd home school my kids because I can't stand the way our district is.

Wow, didn't realize this was such a heated topic.

I am taking my 9 year old son out of school for 5 days, for the second year in a row. I notified the teacher as soon as the year began, and will be meeting with him two weeks prior to leaving to go over all the work he'll be making up.

It is really the only time we can travel due to my husband's schedule, I feel like him seeing the world and gaining new experiences is more important than missing one week of school (especially if he makes up all the work).

Well, nearly everyone here has practically ganged up on teacher Cdnangel for her/his viewpoint. I think if Cdnangel has been teaching in Texas, then her/his opposing opinion is understandable. This state has extremely strict rules about attendance. We have laws called compulsory attendance and mandatory attendance. The only valid excuses for being absent is illness and family emergencies such as a death. A vacation trip is never a valid excuse and will result in unexcused absences. Teachers are not obligated to help students make up missed work. If they do, it's at their own discretion. In fact, even is a child is severely ill they may still end up failing for the semester if they go over the allotted number is absences. I believe it's called the 90% rule. Students must attend at least 90% of scheduled classes in order to pass.

I totally believe in family vacations, but we never took our son out of school for them. Many posters here have very cavalier attitudes about taking their kids from school to cruise. In this state, that attitude may find you in court telling your "family vacation" story to a judge.

Also, to the poster who complained the teacher couldn't provide the school district policy on truancy...I don't know about your districts, but here every student in every grade is sent home with a big, thick policy handbook during the first week of school every year. It tells you everything you need to know. It's the parent's responsibility to know the school policies.

I should disclose that our son went to private school. I cannot tell you how many times he had different days off from school than the public schools. On those off days he may have been out riding his bike or something and a few times he was stopped by a truancy officer. Private school is even more difficult because the students are subject to the state attendance as well as the schools' policy that students can be kicked out for any or no reason at all.

Also, to the poster who complained the teacher couldn't provide the school district policy on truancy...I don't know about your districts, but here every student in every grade is sent home with a big, thick policy handbook during the first week of school every year. It tells you everything you need to know. It's the parent's responsibility to know the school policies.

Actually, it wasn't the teacher, it was the attendance clerk. Additionally, there was no such policy listed in the school handbook which I read cover to cover. It also wasn't listed in anything on the school board regulations on their site. You can bet that I'm a well informed parent who reads up on school policies involving my children.

Coming from a high school junior here... I have been pulled out of school many times since I was in Kindergarten for cruises and trips. I am actually going on a cruise in November with my family (Mom, Dad, Sophomore sis, 6th grade and 4th grade brothers, and a close girlfriend (You know what I mean... FRIEND) of mine who is a homeschooled junior). Anyway, all we (minus my homeschooled friend) have to do is have our parents/guardians contact our school and let them know we will be gone for a week or so. My sis and I have to get what we call a blue slip from the office, detailing when we will be gone. The teachers write down the assignments and sign the slip. They can either give us the assignment, or wait till we get back. Most of the time, we get it beforehand. Passes time on the plane or in the car! :) I am pretty good about bouncing my grades back after I get back, but we will see with my sister and 6th grader. 6th grader has cruised before, but Sis hasn't. We also figured that my homeschooled friend (never cruised either) would work to fill the spot that was occupied by my cousin, because she only has a lesson on Mondays and gets all of her homework then.

I have learned so many things on my cruises. If the school puts up a fight, tell them you will make the trip somewhat academical. Meaning... Research some historical landmarks at the ports and make a little history/geography unit out of it. For my Spanish class years ago, I had made a slides how about my cruise to Mexico. I asked my teacher if I could and she said that was fine. I presented it to the class and they liked it. Those pictures will come in handy. I did get some extra credit points for it I believe. Ask the teachers (mainly if they don't know ahead of time what they will be doing) if the child could make a presentation about the trip. This would tie well with a foreign language class or history, but math and science could be used as well. In math, child could mention the length and what not of the ship. Science? Maybe the weather experienced or some technical information about the ship. I have more ideas in my head... So let me know if you want anymore! :)

i should disclose that our son went to private school.

:):)

With your child you haven't actually death with the reality of public school system and what's said, written, verses what's done? No, not friends who have gone through it, we all have those but you. I applaud on your decision to go private. Your child never got caught up in the No Child Left behind mess (now Common Core) where taking your child out of school might be a needed break for some children in overcrowded classroom. Many might be cavalier about taking their child out of school but not in getting the work done. There is something to say about having many ways to skin a cat or simply learn.

Edited by Blk_Amish

I think if Cdnangel has been teaching in Texas, then her/his opposing opinion is understandable. This state has extremely strict rules about attendance. We have laws called compulsory attendance and mandatory attendance. The only valid excuses for being absent is illness and family emergencies such as a death. A vacation trip is never a valid excuse and will result in unexcused absences. ... In fact, even is a child is severely ill they may still end up failing for the semester if they go over the allotted number is absences. I believe it's called the 90% rule. Students must attend at least 90% of scheduled classes in order to pass.

If that's a rule, then it's a very stupid one. If it's guidance and depends on each child's circumstance, then fair enough.

Point 1 - if a child is ill and misses (say) 25% of the year but still passes the end-of-year exams, do they make the child waste a year going through it all again and learning nothing?

Point 2 - if a child has a recurring illness and never makes 90% of attendances, is that child stuck in forst grade until it's 18?

Point 3 - if a family with very little money but a strong work ethic suddenly gets a once-in-a-lifetime chance to go on holiday - and it will be the only holiday that child has had in its life - would the school board say that the child can't go? This hypothetical child may have 500 weeks of school, 1 week of family holiday, and I would say that the 1 week holiday comes in well above no. 501 in order of importance to life.

Reading post 1 of this thread again - anyone who says it would be unjustified taking the child out in those circumstances is, IMO, wrong - and if they're a person with the power to refuse permission, they're in the wrong job. And if they say that in those circumstances it would be justifiable but the rules don't allow it, then they're definitely in the wrong job.

I was one of the ones that said I probably wouldn't take mine out of school. It just seemed like too much to have them do hw on a cruise. But then again my oldest is only in preschool. I know every school is different but my kids school says its ok to miss up to 5 school days and as long as you notify the school in advance and the kids make up the work and turn it in when they go back it will be considered an excused absence. That is nice to know its an option maybe one day... Hmm!!

Now that i think about it might not be a bad idea they can do some on the plane and do a little bit everynight as we are winding down. I dont know I guess we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

I was one of the ones that said I probably wouldn't take mine out of school. It just seemed like too much to have them do hw on a cruise. But then again my oldest is only in preschool. I know every school is different but my kids school says its ok to miss up to 5 school days and as long as you notify the school in advance and the kids make up the work and turn it in when they go back it will be considered an excused absence. That is nice to know its an option maybe one day... Hmm!!

Now that i think about it might not be a bad idea they can do some on the plane and do a little bit everynight as we are winding down. I dont know I guess we will cross that bridge when we get to it.

My biggest regret was not doing more of this when my kids were younger. You can do more with and for your child in a day than a week in some crowded classrooms . You can choose to cruise or vacation the week before or after a break, so they have extra time to make up the work. Up until HS, honestly a piece of cake but HS, kind of tricky. I might not feel right about this but I am thinking about pulling my DD during testing. My kid doesn't need to be tested and that's the week with adjusted schedule so very little or no new material is covered.

Edited by Blk_Amish

We have taken our children out of school numerous times to travel and never regretted it for a second. All of their teachers have been very supportive. Even though they are not in school they ARE learning. The life experiences that they gain far outweigh anything that they may have missed by staying at home in school.

Whenever we travel we try to mix the fun stuff with the educational stuff. For example we did the Mayan temple tour in Cozumel. Even a beach day can be educational as we explore the water and look for different kinds of sea life.

As others have said in a couple of years time will anyone even remember that your kids took some extra time off school.

Go. Enjoy the memories.