FTTF - boarding pass - question!

Here is what happened on my August 15th Glory Cruise at Pier 90 NYC.

We arrived on street level, gave bags to porters and took elevator to 2nd floor. Walked forward to security at about 10:45a

Magnetometer and xray of carry on and then forward to greeter who looks at boarding pass. She was about to give us boarding number 3 and I pointed out FTTF and she said hold on a minute and ran to once of the carnival sign that had boarding number stash behind it.

She gave me a placard that said "Priority" on it and directed us to go down a lane that was outside the rope lines.

We get to the end of the rope lines and there is a sign for FTTF. An attendant then asked for our boarding pass, looked at it and let us into a single line with no one in it. As soon as an Agent was free we stepped up and they swiped our Passports, given a Canada deceleration form to fill out BEFORE boarding and directed to the seats.

At 11:15am an announcement was made that boarding normally begins at Noon but they are starting now.

Priority Boarding was called at 11:30a, we were the first as we were sitting next to the entrance. Stupid picture taken in front of fake Carnival ship. Then Canadian custom form taken and we were off to board the ship. Card swipe on ship with picture taken, and we walked to forward elevators.

Up to our cabin, Deck 9, fire doors are closed but sign on saying Plat, guest and FTTF guest please come in. We walked to our cabin, it was ready, dropped off the bags and went to the buffet which was empty.

So that was my first FTTF experience.

FWIW

I cruised Imagination back in February with FTTF, was at terminal at 11:00 and we were on the ship by 11:15 and in our cabin by 11:30! However, Carnival has jacked up the rate for the FTTF, it was $25 in February and they have basically doubled it to $49.95. Oh well, I'll probably do it again for my January Victory cruise

Raising my hand wildly!!! I drag my husband to be at the port by 8:30.

While I understand your excitement, and we did pretty much the same thing on our 1st cruise, 10:30 would work just fine. When we did it a maint guy came over and said you do realize that it will be 3 hours before you get on the ship don't you?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Back to the original question - I just checked and every one of my Boarding Passes has said boarding times were 12:30 to 3:00 PM. On every one of my cruises, I have been aboard before Noon, usually by 11:15-or-so... even before we were Platinum, or had FTTF.

I reiterate - the time on the Boarding Pass is the "official" boarding time, if you don't get aboard until then you don't have grounds for complaint. If you're there before that and the ship is cleared and ready for you, they'll let you board. (Apparently, the official time varies by ship or port, based on what I'm reading here and my own BP's)

While I understand your excitement, and we did pretty much the same thing on our 1st cruise, 10:30 would work just fine. When we did it a maint guy came over and said you do realize that it will be 3 hours before you get on the ship don't you?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

I'd much rather be in the port building three hours early than sitting in a hotel room. It's even more fun now that we are Platinum. We make friends with the port employees, we watch people disembark, we talk with other early birds. To me, that's when the cruise really starts.

Here is my story for FTTF. Last May, I arrived at the cruise terminal about 10:15 which was a little early but I was driving, and missed all the heavy traffic. Dropped off luggage, parked and checked in. Had to wait for one person in front of me to check in, got my passes etc, and directed to sit. At about 10:55 boarding started, and at 11:15 was on the ship. Did not have any tender stops. Prepaid all my excursions, and had no need for a priority line at a desk. No need to rush off the ship either at the end, my car will wait. Once on the ship, however, I am carrying one backpack, which I keep with me until I get the room. Here is the catch!!!! I did not pay $50.00 to get on early. My pack back is the only carry on luggage.

Here is the point. FTTF is nothing more than Carnival taking money for what other cruise lines do for free. Other than getting access to your room a little early it is a waste of vacation dollars that can be used for other "fun" items. First in line, first on the ship. Arrive early, and make your own FTTF. This has to be one of the biggest scams ever. Paying for something that cost nothing.

Here is my story for FTTF. Last May, I arrived at the cruise terminal about 10:15 which was a little early but I was driving, and missed all the heavy traffic. Dropped off luggage, parked and checked in. Had to wait for one person in front of me to check in, got my passes etc, and directed to sit. At about 10:55 boarding started, and at 11:15 was on the ship. Did not have any tender stops. Prepaid all my excursions, and had no need for a priority line at a desk. No need to rush off the ship either at the end, my car will wait. Once on the ship, however, I am carrying one backpack, which I keep with me until I get the room. Here is the catch!!!! I did not pay $50.00 to get on early. My pack back is the only carry on luggage.

Here is the point. FTTF is nothing more than Carnival taking money for what other cruise lines do for free. Other than getting access to your room a little early it is a waste of vacation dollars that can be used for other "fun" items. First in line, first on the ship. Arrive early, and make your own FTTF. This has to be one of the biggest scams ever. Paying for something that cost nothing.

I have to respectfully disagree. For you,it may well be a waste, and therefor you should not purchase it. For others it may be worth it. I, for example, think it is worthwhile just for the early access to the room and expedited luggage, as well as priority debarkation. If I were traveling alone or with other adults, I might not care as much, but as it is, I have two kids, and schlepping kids and bags at the beginning and end is no fun! It's also great to be unpacked early and done with the whole process ASAP!

To each his own!

THanks everyone for all the info. We purchased FTTF for our upcoming cruise. I am delighted we got FTTF...more than worth it to not wait in all those lines to board, have luggage arrive immediately and have the cabin ready when we board!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to respectfully disagree as well.

As I said earlier, the FttF priority line at Guest Services was literally a cruise-saver for us. Sure, on a perfect cruise you should never have to get in line at Guest Services, but when your stateroom's A/C isn't working and you're facing the choice of 7 days of absolute misery (and medical complications) or invoking the Carnival satisfaction guarantee, that priority line saved me 1.5 - 2 hours of waiting. Easily. As I said, it saved the cruise for us.

Heck... For some, just the priority tendering is worth $50 for a cabin-full of people.

I'd much rather be in the port building three hours early than sitting in a hotel room. It's even more fun now that we are Platinum. We make friends with the port employees, we watch people disembark, we talk with other early birds. To me, that's when the cruise really starts.

I totally agree. Once I'm in the boarding area and I can see my ship, my vacation HAS BEGUN.

It sounds like it's just not worth it to you. I can arrive early and get on early, but then I end up hauling my rolling carryon around until the cabin is ready. We have to take turns for lunch so that somebody can watch the bags. I always have to go to guest services at least once. I have a tender port where I may not plan an excursion. Just because you didn't use it to its fullest potential doesn't mean that's the case for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
I have been in my room by 11:00 the last two cruises with FTTF.

We was in our room by 11:45 last time(Port Canaveral Dream) we had it but we had 4 or 5 weddings. and to be honest we had all of our luggage by 1:00pm we completely unpacked before safety briefing loved it. Already bought f2f for my next cruise. To me its worth the 50$ to not carry my carry ons every where.

yes u do. but a warning I got yelled at by a lady cause my card was gold not platinum. She was MAAAADDDDDDDD..... I politely told her I bought f2f she said that wasn't fair I said politely buy it next time I am sry maam!!!!

Does any one know if people who book FTTF have a priority line at the excursion desk? I know you get to use the VIP line at guest services. I was just curious.

yes u do. but a warning I got yelled at by a lady cause my card was gold not platinum. She was MAAAADDDDDDDD..... I politely told her I bought f2f she said that wasn't fair I said politely buy it next time I am sry maam!!!!

I suppose if they aren't aware the program exists they could be upset. But, I've rarely understood some people's overreaction. Thanks for the help!

and if we plan to get the cheers program (on day 2), we have to pay for all our drinks on day 1.

will all the drinks on day 1 (heavy drinking day :)) be cancelled?

We were able to buy the Cheers program as soon as we got out to sea...or international waters...and all drinks bought before then were taken off the bill...so drink to your hearts content

Last cruise on Splendor out of Long Beach: Went to breakfast at 7am on the Q Mary. There were at least 100+ people camped out at the Pier.

As we were Platinum went to pier at 10:30, no problem and were processed in and went into the Plat/Diamond line. No worries ready to board about 11:15am. Wrong, 2 very large wedding parties arrived and were ushered inside into boarding area. Many going to ceremony/reception only and then leaving the ship had little or no doc's. Kids etc. Needles to say the delay for regular boarding was delayed 1.25 hours. Boarding for us began about 12:45 pm. So you never know what's going to happen. Friends with FTTF were livid.

Boarding usually starts at 11 AM. May vary by cruise.

Wedding parties, travel agents, those needing assistance go first. Followed by Diamond and platinum passengers. Followed by FTTF. Then the numbered groups.

If you have any type of priority you will be in you cabin by 11:30. If not and you just arrive early you will be on the lido deck by 11:30.

Archived