Booking a guarantee?

voyageur9

Is there any advantage (or disadvantage) to booking direct when making guarantee (rather than specific cabin) reservations?

Observations welcomed from those who have experience with booking guarantees as to whether HAL assigns or upgrades differently depending on whether the booking was made direct with HAL or a TA?

Thanks in advance

The only advantage is the possibility of getting a free upgrade - and we have, all nine times that we booked guarantees. IIRC one of those was with a HAL PCC, and the rest were with a TA.

The disadvantage is obviously that you may get a cabin that is not to your liking, particularly with regard to location.

Of course you may also get a free upgrade from a specific cabin, but the chances are much lower.

We book direct (PCC) and usually book guarantee cabins. We have been upgraded all but one time, so probably 8 out of 9 times. Of course I have no idea if this is the reason or not. I have heard that booking early and the amount you paid has a lot to do with it, also have heard that cruise line loyalty helps. Who knows!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would never book a guaranteed cabin with HAL again, got lucky once and got a good cabin, second time we were given a dud, directly under the cleaning station of the galley. Price makes no difference either, we paid full price with no upgrade while other passengers that paid half of what we paid were given good cabins.

booked a guarantee obstructed view just about 6 weeks ago. Got our cabin assignment and it's no upgrades for us. Sitting right behind what looks to be a tender. so I'm hoping we may see something besides boat and sky on our tender day.

booked a guarantee obstructed view just about 6 weeks ago. Got our cabin assignment and it's no upgrades for us. Sitting right behind what looks to be a tender. so I'm hoping we may see something besides boat and sky on our tender day.

Obstructed usually means the cabins look out through the tenders just below the tenders.

Booked with TA three times - not guaranty -- Upgraded once (no charge), one time no upgrade kept cabin we booked, Upsell once (small fee but went to Neptune suite).

Booking with TA or PCC does not really make a difference. Sometimes you book guaranty and you get that category and some one with a confirmed room will get the upgrade if they marked their reservation as such.

Make sure when you book a guaranty (especially at the same price as the room you can select) make sure you really will be happy with that category - could be under galley, showroom (especially if you go to bed early), lido (and you like sleeping in - you will hear chairs being slid all over the place).

Rule of thumb - if you want a certain room book it. If you dont REALLY care then you can book guaranty. I have never booked guaranty I pay for the room I want and will take an upgrade if offered.

The only upgrades we have received were when we booked with a large online only agency. Never got even one booking direct with HAL.

The only upsells we have been offered and accepted came from a HAL PCC. I had requested that she keep her eye out for upsells and she did. I don't think online agencies do this but I may be wrong. We like our PCC but on our last trip the online agency was $800 less for the cabin so it was a no brainer.

Gary

I've received several upgrades with HAL when I booked guarantees with TAs. Honestly don't think it makes a difference. It just depends on what category you booked and how the cruise is selling, or not.

Roz

I've received several upgrades with HAL when I booked guarantees with TAs. Honestly don't think it makes a difference. It just depends on what category you booked and how the cruise is selling, or not.

Roz

In general I agree with you, exept that I think that a poor TA can hurt your upsell chances, if they are not responding quickly to the upsell emails from HAL.

On my upcoming cruise, I never got an upsell email, but my PCC got an upsell for me by calling the upsell department directly, everyday, until they finally gave in!

DaveOKC

Roz

Absolutely agree. To me it's all pretty simple math...the lower the category guarantee the more cabins available above you for upgrading. Add in a slow selling cruise and you have the makings of a pretty good chance to be moved up. I'm not sure or convinced that who you book with makes that much difference.

I usually do guarantee and have always been upgraded. However, if you book more than one cabin and they are trying to keep those two cabins together, then the chances go DOWN! It's easier for them to move one room around than two... or three (virtually 'guaranteed' not to get you upgraded.)

So... happily booking guarantee for my one cabin... never again linking two + reservations together. :(

Dave, I agree that your TA and their responsiveness can make a difference with upsells. With upgrades that you don't pay for, little if any difference.

Roz

Dave, I agree that your TA and their responsiveness can make a difference with upsells. With upgrades that you don't pay for, little if any difference.

Roz

Roz - did you see that I just got my upsell to an SA on my AK cruise! Great deal IMO - $149 each to go from SZ to SA - website difference was about $1000 each.

Dave

Archived