Elite: Starting to feel less appreciated by Celebrity

djjoe

Okay, Celebrity does not have an infinite amount of money to fund the Elites.
I agree that Celebrity is going to have to make changes to its loyalty program due to the numbers.

I disagree that it requires "an infinite amount of money to fund the Elites". I do not believe this is because this program is so costly.

Most of the benefits require very little in actual outlay. It's all about the numbers.

If they have to build more lounges to accommodate their elites, that gets costly !

Please tell me what part of their current benefits do you believe is so expensive ?

(I do not mean to be seen as attacking you. Please forgive me if it seems that way.)

Many thanks for your post

Sadly not 100% correct - Adults are also enrolled as D+ [Elite] - On a RCL cruise on a computer the DL, a D+ enrolled her 3 daughters and a son, all with partners and children. I was given to understand that by the end of the RCL Cruise, the new D+ 'household' then enrolled their children and partners in marriage.

With one click of a mouse, those 8 new 'household' adults plus the 5 children of those adults were D+ [Elite], just for taking one short RCL Cruise.

Children can become adults with families of their own, who then may wish to enroll their families (household) as D+ [Elite] after correctly taking a single RCL 2 night Cruise.;)

Too many Elites.

The questions of this thread are basically how to drastically reduce the current and future levels of Elites, this to ensure the Elite benefits business model becomes financially viable with the current level of benefits being fully sustainable in the longer term.

Very suspicious as they would all have to live together.

The purpose of this thread was to voice disappointment at not feeling as appreciated for being Elite as the OP had been in the past. It of course took on a life of its own and hasn't for many pages been on topic. The first post had nothing to do with reducing any levels of the Captains Club.

We are not punishing Celebrity Cruisers, just asking for Celebrity loyalty to be judged and acknowledge by the nights actually sailed, not a total number of very short cruises, albeit one.

This thread was intended for Celebrity Elites, but your point is a very fair one. Perhaps we could start a RCL thread with the premise of C&A status gained by actual sailed nights only, not the number of short cruises, as this would then greatly reduce the number of D/D+/Pinnacle, and thereby Elites being 'Household Enrolled'.

Stand by for the solar wind which will approach soon from the West.;)

What I meant by punishing them, was your comment about someone could achieve Elite in 10 14 night cruises in a lifetime. It should not take a customer a lifetime to become Elite.

I understand the nights sailed and totally agree with it, but if they are going to do it, then just make it nights sailed in the beginning and no added points. Let's hope that Celebrity doesn't put the part of Royal Caribbean's program about enrolling household members into the new Celebrity plan.

Very suspicious as they would all have to live together.

I read on a Royal Caribbean thread (it caught my eye), that a man put his daughter and her boyfriend (who lived separately) as living at his address so that they could get his perks on his upcoming cruise. The poster was complaining and actually said she turned him in to the cruise line. Not sure how true it, but that is why I asked the question earlier if a family member got the perks on Royal Caribbean.

Sadly not 100% correct - Adults are also enrolled as D+ [Elite] - On a RCL cruise on a computer the DL, a D+ enrolled her 3 daughters and a son, all with partners and children. I was given to understand that by the end of the RCL Cruise, the new D+ 'household' then enrolled their children and partners in marriage.

With one click of a mouse, those 8 new 'household' adults plus the 5 children of those adults were D+ [Elite], just for taking one short RCL Cruise.

Children can become adults with families of their own, who then may wish to enroll their families (household) as D+ [Elite] after correctly taking a single RCL 2 night Cruise.;)

Too many Elites.

The questions of this thread are basically how to drastically reduce the current and future levels of Elites, this to ensure the Elite benefits business model becomes financially viable with the current level of benefits being fully sustainable in the longer term.

Sorry but your scenario is almost impossible. You're suggesting that those eight adults and their children live at the same address just to get D+ status. I know there will always be scammers but I think you're exaggerating to make your point.

I agree that Celebrity is going to have to make changes to its loyalty program due to the numbers.

I disagree that it requires "an infinite amount of money to fund the Elites". I do not believe this is because this program is so costly.

Most of the benefits require very little in actual outlay. It's all about the numbers.

If they have to build more lounges to accommodate their elites, that gets costly !

Please tell me what part of their current benefits do you believe is so expensive ?

(I do not mean to be seen as attacking you. Please forgive me if it seems that way.)

Your intelligent post in accepted as sent, no offence taken, and I thank you for it.

For an example let us consider the cost module of the Elite Lounge [EL]

As it stands there is an element of cost to every EL drink, EL nibble, EL waiter, Elite Concierge, EL bar staff, EL cleaners and now E/Vouchers. When you take all the elements together there is a serious amount of money involved. Now consider the number of Elites, say in excess of 600, on a specific cruise and the $ numbers begin to stack up per person, per day, per cruise per ship in the fleet.

With uncontrolled Elite numbers, Celebrity could soon have the potential of 1000, 1500 or 2000 Elites on one ship. Then Celebrity take a time out,do the numbers game. It is at this stage it could be that some EL benefits are pulled, with the possibility of the refreshments range being one of the benefits to go.

I am looking at the whole picture, trying to be fair to Elites with many nights of loyalty, in order to attempt to seek a solution that will protect the long term future of Elite benefits.

Thank you again

I feel I must answer this as you are clearly confused - and apologies to those who want the thread to follow its original intention and not digress into a discussion of RC points.

The 'D+' may have enrolled her family but they would not automatically become D+ or Elite. Only children up to 18 living at the same house and spouses/partners of D+ members (living at the same address) would become D+ - and incidentally the equivalent status of Elite on RC is D and not D+.

Married children, living at a different address (and their children) would not automatically gain the same status as the D+ person who was enrolling them.

Sorry but your scenario is almost impossible. You're suggesting that those eight adults and their children live at the same address just to get D+ status. I know there will always be scammers but I think you're exaggerating to make your point.

Sadly no - I was appalled - It was an action plan, perceived and instigated prior to booking to have all the family enrolled as D+. Under the C&A members profile after achieving the required status, there is the facility to change a members address. Job done!

I feel I must answer this as you are clearly confused - and apologies to those who want the thread to follow its original intention and not digress into a discussion of RC points.

The 'D+' may have enrolled her family but they would not automatically become D+ or Elite. Only children up to 18 living at the same house and spouses/partners of D+ members (living at the same address) would become D+ - and incidentally the equivalent status of Elite on RC is D and not D+.

Married children, living at a different address (and their children) would not automatically gain the same status as the D+ person who was enrolling them.

Am I correct in stating that D+ and D's become Elites on enrollment?

Am I correct in stating that D+ and D's become Elites on enrollment?

You are right about that and that is one of the reasons why there are so many Elites. We were Elite before we even boarded a Celebrity ship, since we were D with RC. We have only sailed 3 times with Celebrity and our forthcoming cruise will make us Elite in our own right - hence why I would agree with many people on these boards who say it's too easy to get to Elite and, to be fair, why those people who sail many times a year with X should have more recognition.

But, to address what you said about RC status, let me give you my family's experience so you see why I doubt what you said could be right.

We have sailed a lot on RC and always with our sons until a few years ago. We tended to sail in JS's (double points) and the boys in an inside cabin. They always had the same number of points (and same status as we did) until the age of 18. RC's rules are that at the age of 18 the young person retains his/her status but reverts back to the actual number of days they've sailed - and this is what has happened.

We were fortunate that we were already D by the time our sons reached 18 and they are both now D members, despite the fact that their cruise points reflect only the days they have sailed. In fact one is D in his own right and the other will become so after our cruise next week. We are now D+, having sailed a lot more since they left to go to Uni, but their status is still D and will remain so until they sail enough to reach D+ - which will probably never happen ;)

My point is that I do not believe that your scenario above is possible and it may be hearsay or your speculation that leads you to believe it is.

Sadly not 100% correct - Adults are also enrolled as D+ [Elite] - On a RCL cruise on a computer the DL, a D+ enrolled her 3 daughters and a son, all with partners and children. I was given to understand that by the end of the RCL Cruise, the new D+ 'household' then enrolled their children and partners in marriage....

Too many Elites.

Perhaps you misunderstood that family's situation.

I am D+ (as is DH on his own points). If I had a child under age 18 who lives at my address and who takes a Royal Caribbean cruise, I could enroll the child as D+ in Crown and Anchor. Of course, I was not D+ when Children were that young, and I suspect that is the case for many others. And some you are D+ with young families take those kids on many cruises, so the little cruisers may have many of their own points. When they turn 18, enrolled keep their C&A status, but to progress must earn their own points.

Spouses/ significant others are granted their partner's status. Of course, Celebrity lets them into their events as cabinmates, and also let's in other cabinmates, arguably adding more the the on board crowding.

So, in your above scenario, the four children must have cruised as minors with their D+ parents to gain status. then later then they became adults and married, their spouse would be admitted, too. So, that would take more than a single 2 night cruise to create 8 D+ members.

I do not particulary like RCI's family rules, but, I'd argue for RCI to change those rules (for example, family member might only be recognized is sailing with the sponsor who "earned" the status), rather than using the rule to change reciprocity.

I don't see this happening. RCCL would like to see the top tier RCI guests move over to X as RCI works to attract more first time cruisers and families. By allowing the perks to cross over between both lines it's much easier to achieve ths goal and it's working. We are an example of that and from reading both the RCI and X boards, we are not alone.

The cruise lines know what the past guest programs cost. Look at the C&A program on RCI. Many, many more past guests on those ships and RCI is adding Diamond lounges to all but one ship in their fleet in addition to the Concierge lounges. RCI knows that this one perk helps with bringing guests back to RCI over and over. X knows this also so I don't think you will see it going away any time soon.

I think we should all enjoy the perks offered and not worry if or when there will be changes. Just enjoy the ride......:)

Agree 100%. I'm yet another example of the X/RCI evil genius plan working :). I haven't been on X since the 90s, but their association with RCI enticed me to seriously consider them for my honeymoon and voila, 12 night Eastern Med on Silhouette later this month in Aqua. If we love it as much as we expect to, lets just say X will not have seen the last of us...

I read on a Royal Caribbean thread (it caught my eye), that a man put his daughter and her boyfriend (who lived separately) as living at his address so that they could get his perks on his upcoming cruise. The poster was complaining and actually said she turned him in to the cruise line. Not sure how true it, but that is why I asked the question earlier if a family member got the perks on Royal Caribbean.

We've only done one Royal Caribbean cruise, it was a family cruise in 2003 when our son was 21. Roll forward about 3 years and we'd just made Elite on Celebrity, our son is now married and taking his second RCL cruise with his wife. He's living in his own house in another city and used that address for his booking. When he get's on board he is surprised to find he is Diamond with access to the lounge and everything - although he said they didn't use the lounge much because it was full of "old people" like me and his mother! I guess that since his RCL C&A account was still tied to us even though he lived at a different address and our Elite status with Celebrity got him pushed up to Diamond on RCL even though he only had one past RCL cruise and never sailed Celebrity.

Perhaps you misunderstood that family's situation.

I am D+ (as is DH on his own points). If I had a child under age 18 who lives at my address and who takes a Royal Caribbean cruise, I could enroll the child as D+ in Crown and Anchor. Of course, I was not D+ when Children were that young, and I suspect that is the case for many others. And some you are D+ with young families take those kids on many cruises, so the little cruisers may have many of their own points. When they turn 18, enrolled keep their C&A status, but to progress must earn their own points.

Spouses/ significant others are granted their partner's status. Of course, Celebrity lets them into their events as cabinmates, and also let's in other cabinmates, arguably adding more the the on board crowding.

So, in your above scenario, the four children must have cruised as minors with their D+ parents to gain status. then later then they became adults and married, their spouse would be admitted, too. So, that would take more than a single 2 night cruise to create 8 D+ members.

I do not particulary like RCI's family rules, but, I'd argue for RCI to change those rules (for example, family member might only be recognized is sailing with the sponsor who "earned" the status), rather than using the rule to change reciprocity.

Sir,

I do like your informed and structured post. So going forward, to assist this thread and loyal Elites with a high number of sailed nights, if given Celebrity for a day, knowing that there are currently too many Elites, how would reduce the number of Elites?;)

There have been numerous references about people using 2 night cruises to pad their loyalty membership. Being an anal person, I did a search on an Internet travel site & came up with a whopping 5 2 night cruises in the next year on Royal Caribbean, & none on Celebrity. The fears that there are those gaming the system by taking 2 night cruises to pad their loyalty level are, frankly, laughable.

Now I totally agree that there are too many Elite members on some Celebrity sailings, particularly 14 nights & above, such as Transatlantic cruises, (there are many sailings where the Elite cocktails are served in Michael's Club) & something needs to be done, but to worry about the 2 night people even remotely being a cause is.....well, stupid! As to what should be done, I'll leave that to those at Celebrity whose job it is to ponder these things.

But I do love reading all the easy solutions!:D

The problem is with Royal Caribbean, so why are you punishing the Celebrity cruisers. Maybe you should propose a new program for Royal Caribbean.

There's not an issue on RCI. On the Splendour in June, both the Diamond and CL were empty the entire cruise. Yes there are some cruises where the lounges will be busier than usual such as TA's and member cruises but RCI moves the evening event to a larger venue.

There have been numerous references about people using 2 night cruises to pad their loyalty membership. Being an anal person, I did a search on an Internet travel site & came up with a whopping 5 2 night cruises in the next year on Royal Caribbean, & none on Celebrity. The fears that there are those gaming the system by taking 2 night cruises to pad their loyalty level are, frankly, laughable.

Now I totally agree that there are too many Elite members on some Celebrity sailings, particularly 14 nights & above, such as Transatlantic cruises, (there are many sailings where the Elite cocktails are served in Michael's Club) & something needs to be done, but to worry about the 2 night people even remotely being a cause is.....well, stupid! As to what should be done, I'll leave that to those at Celebrity whose job it is to ponder these things.

But I do love reading all the easy solutions!:D

Not sure how anyone is padding their numbers on RCI with two night cruises since RCI went to days and not points. Under the old system, yes a person could build their points quickly with three and four night cruises. Two night cruises resulted in zero points. Not sure if it's still that way.

There's not an issue on RCI. On the Splendour in June, both the Diamond and CL were empty the entire cruise. Yes there are some cruises where the lounges will be busier than usual such as TA's and member cruises but RCI moves the evening event to a larger venue.

I really don't know, I was just saying to another poster, who brought up an issue with Royal Caribbean, that that is their issue, not Celebrity's.

I do, but that was back then. We can only talk about what the program is today and what possible changes Celebrity will do and how it will affect all of their passengers, to which it should be fair for all. If you want to hold on to what happened in the past, that's okay, but I don't.

:) Your right, but I think those of us that had to pay to be a CC member, and had to have ten sailings to be Elite, should be moved to whatever the next tier will be. When we were working to become Elite members there weren't any 2 night cruises. :)

:) Your right, but I think those of us that had to pay to be a CC member, and had to have ten sailings to be Elite, should be moved to whatever the next tier will be. When we were working to become Elite members there weren't any 2 night cruises. :)

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. Everyone earned their points by Celebrity's formula. No one cheated. Tweaks are made to loyalty programs all the time.

Celebrity may not be top notch in the IT department but the corporation's marketing group hit a home run with the reciprocity program. Just look at the number of people on these boards who have moved from Royal to Celebrity as they got older. RCCL didn't lose their business to a competitor.

The point was being made about how so many gamed the system by taking 2 night cruises in the past, when there are not that many 2 night sailings being offered, making them not much of a factor.you don't hae to be sorry that I feel it's stupid, I'm not seeking your approval. I also think it's stupid to take a short vacation just to accelerate yor assent in a loyalty program.

But I still enjoy reading about all the easy solutions!

I wouldn't do short cruises either just to get to a tier faster, but obviously many found a glitch in the system. No need for people to complain about something that was above board. BTW, wasn't offering my approval.

I think that those that are close to Elite should be moved to Elite and those close to the next tier should be moved there and so on. I don't think that Celebrity should penalize anyone.

I think that those that are close to Elite should be moved to Elite and those close to the next tier should be moved there and so on. I don't think that Celebrity should penalize anyone.

Why, people close to the next level were not penalized when RCI converted.

:) Right again!!!! I agree, that would be the fairest way of handling it!!! :)

Archived